Disk has lost its icon?

Brian Gordon

Jul 13, 2021, 10:35:21 PM7/13/21
I have an external 2TB disk I use for backups. The backups are going just
fine, as is its use by Time Machine, so it is obviously mounted and
reasonably happy.

However, no disk icon for it appears on the desktop [MacBook Pro (Retina,
13-inch, Early 2015) running macOS 11.4] That's not something I am familar
with, and I don't know what is missing or how to fix it. Disk Utility
doesn't seem to cover it.

Help?

| Brian Gordon -->bri...@panix.com<-- brian dot gordon at cox dot net |
+ bgo...@aol.com Bass: NSC Frank Thorne +

nospam

Jul 13, 2021, 10:58:43 PM7/13/21
In article <sclih8$sm4$1...@panix3.panix.com>, Brian Gordon
<bri...@panix.com> wrote:

> I have an external 2TB disk I use for backups. The backups are going just
> fine, as is its use by Time Machine, so it is obviously mounted and
> reasonably happy.
>
> However, no disk icon for it appears on the desktop [MacBook Pro (Retina,
> 13-inch, Early 2015) running macOS 11.4] That's not something I am familar
> with, and I don't know what is missing or how to fix it. Disk Utility
> doesn't seem to cover it.

check finder prefs to see if external hard disks should be shown on the
desktop.

Brian Gordon

Jul 13, 2021, 11:41:23 PM7/13/21
In article <130720212258464165%nos...@nospam.invalid>,
Thanks for the tip - I shoud have mentioned that Finder Preferences are set
to show them and that when I plug in a different disk, its icon appears as
expected. This one seems unique.

nospam

Jul 14, 2021, 9:55:51 AM7/14/21
In article <sclmd2$gh2$1...@reader1.panix.com>, Brian Gordon
<bri...@panix.com> wrote:

> >> I have an external 2TB disk I use for backups. The backups are going just
> >> fine, as is its use by Time Machine, so it is obviously mounted and
> >> reasonably happy.
> >>
> >> However, no disk icon for it appears on the desktop [MacBook Pro (Retina,
> >> 13-inch, Early 2015) running macOS 11.4] That's not something I am familar
> >> with, and I don't know what is missing or how to fix it. Disk Utility
> >> doesn't seem to cover it.
> >
> >check finder prefs to see if external hard disks should be shown on the
> >desktop.
>
> Thanks for the tip - I shoud have mentioned that Finder Preferences are set
> to show them and that when I plug in a different disk, its icon appears as
> expected. This one seems unique.

did it ever show?

Brian Gordon

Jul 14, 2021, 10:06:05 AM7/14/21
In article <140720210955544679%nos...@nospam.invalid>,
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> >check finder prefs to see if external hard disks should be shown on the
>> >desktop.
>>
>> Thanks for the tip - I should have mentioned that Finder Preferences are set
>> to show them and that when I plug in a different disk, its icon appears as
>> expected. This one seems unique.
>
>did it ever show?

Unfortunately, not yet. I just had Disk Utility check it, and it found
nothing wrong.

nospam

Jul 14, 2021, 10:23:09 AM7/14/21
In article <scmr0b$hfe$1...@reader1.panix.com>, Brian Gordon
<bri...@panix.com> wrote:

> >> Thanks for the tip - I should have mentioned that Finder Preferences are
> >> set
> >> to show them and that when I plug in a different disk, its icon appears as
> >> expected. This one seems unique.
> >
> >did it ever show?
>
> Unfortunately, not yet.

i meant in the past. did it previously show up and now it doesn't, or
it never has shown up, ever?

> I just had Disk Utility check it, and it found
> nothing wrong.

disk utility checks for directory issues, which isn't why it's not
showing up.

finder is not showing it for some unknown reason.

Brian Gordon

Jul 14, 2021, 9:36:29 PM7/14/21
In article <il8phk...@mid.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>On 2021-07-14, Brian Gordon <bri...@panix.com> wrote:
>> I have an external 2TB disk I use for backups. The backups are going just
>> fine, as is its use by Time Machine, so it is obviously mounted and
>> reasonably happy.
>>
>> However, no disk icon for it appears on the desktop [MacBook Pro (Retina,
>> 13-inch, Early 2015) running macOS 11.4] That's not something I am familar
>> with, and I don't know what is missing or how to fix it. Disk Utility
>> doesn't seem to cover it.
>>
>> Help?
>
>With the drive connected and mounted, open a terminal window and execute
>this command:
>
>ls -lO /Volumes
>
>What is the output?

drwxr-xr-x 36 root wheel sunlnk 1292 May 20 11:44 Backup
drwx------ 3 brianggordon wheel - 96 Jun 6 22:51 STICK2
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel - 96 Jul 13 22:18 com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots

"Backup" is the disk under discussion.

After two hours on the phone today, Apple support said to call the disk
manufacturer (Seagate). That's ongoing and continued tomorrow.

nospam

Jul 14, 2021, 9:40:07 PM7/14/21
In article <sco3er$o9m$1...@reader1.panix.com>, Brian Gordon
<bri...@panix.com> wrote:

> >With the drive connected and mounted, open a terminal window and execute
> >this command:
> >
> >ls -lO /Volumes
> >
> >What is the output?
> >

> drwxr-xr-x 36 root wheel sunlnk 1292 May 20 11:44 Backup
> drwx------ 3 brianggordon wheel - 96 Jun 6 22:51 STICK2
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel - 96 Jul 13 22:18
> com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots
>
> "Backup" is the disk under discussion.
>
> After two hours on the phone today, Apple support said to call the disk
> manufacturer (Seagate). That's ongoing and continued tomorrow.

translated: 'i don't know and there's a lot of calls waiting in my call
queue'

seagate won't have any clue, nor should they since it's not their
problem. the drive functions properly. data can be read and written.

Ant

Jul 15, 2021, 11:27:18 PM7/15/21
Have you tried a brand new macOS user account yet in the same Mac? Also
try another Mac (don't back up though) if you have access to one?

--
Go LA (NBA)! Oh wait... It had been over a year... Will 2021 repeat 2020? :(
| |o o| |

Brian Gordon

Jul 16, 2021, 10:42:39 AM7/16/21
In article <2OudnRjfiZANYW39...@earthlink.com>,
Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>Have you tried a brand new macOS user account yet in the same Mac? Also
>try another Mac (don't back up though) if you have access to one?

BINGO. I switched to another user account that is left over from years ago -
and the icon appeared! Let's see Apple blame that on the disk manufacturer!

Ant

Jul 16, 2021, 9:47:01 PM7/16/21
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2021-07-16, Brian Gordon <bri...@panix.com> wrote:
> > In article <2OudnRjfiZANYW39...@earthlink.com>,
> > Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> >>Have you tried a brand new macOS user account yet in the same Mac? Also
> >>try another Mac (don't back up though) if you have access to one?
> >
> > BINGO. I switched to another user account that is left over from years ago -
> > and the icon appeared! Let's see Apple blame that on the disk manufacturer!

> There's probably a corrupt preference file or cache file in your normal
> account. You could start by deleting the contents of the
> ~/Library/Caches folder in your normal account. If that doesn't work,
> try removing preference files for Finder, Dock, and so on. These files
> are rebuilt from scratch when they are missing.

> For best results, log out of your normal account first, log into an
> administrator account, delete the file(s) in question, then log
> into your normal account again to have them rebuilt from scratch. If you
> want to isolate the problem files, you'll do this in stages rather than
> all at once.

I wonder if booting safe mode would still show this issue in the
problematic account. IIRC, macOS' safe mode purges caches.

Ant

Jul 17, 2021, 1:15:38 AM7/17/21
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2021-07-17, Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> > Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> There's probably a corrupt preference file or cache file in your normal
> >> account. You could start by deleting the contents of the
> >> ~/Library/Caches folder in your normal account. If that doesn't work,
> >> try removing preference files for Finder, Dock, and so on. These files
> >> are rebuilt from scratch when they are missing.
> >
> >> For best results, log out of your normal account first, log into an
> >> administrator account, delete the file(s) in question, then log
> >> into your normal account again to have them rebuilt from scratch. If you
> >> want to isolate the problem files, you'll do this in stages rather than
> >> all at once.
> >
> > I wonder if booting safe mode would still show this issue in the
> > problematic account. IIRC, macOS' safe mode purges caches.

> I can't recall whether it deletes caches or temporarily disables them.
> Either way, it's worth a shot.

Yeah, easy to test the theory out. It would help figure out how to fix it. ;)