Dead rows on Mac keyboard

1 view

bob prohaska

Feb 1, 2020, 1:37:43 PM2/1/20
An old G3 iMac will boot and run, but the keyboard seems
to have dead top (numeral) and bottom (period, comma) rows.
Spacebar works. It's model M2452. The mouse seems ok plugged
into the keyboard's hub. The keys feel normal mechanically.

With nothing to lose I'm tempted to try taking it apart.
Can anybody offer hints where to looks for trouble of this
sort?

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

nospam

Feb 1, 2020, 2:16:18 PM2/1/20
In article <r14ghm$pm0$1...@news.albasani.net>, bob prohaska
<b...@www.zefox.net> wrote:

> An old G3 iMac will boot and run, but the keyboard seems
> to have dead top (numeral) and bottom (period, comma) rows.
> Spacebar works. It's model M2452. The mouse seems ok plugged
> into the keyboard's hub. The keys feel normal mechanically.

keyboards are cheap. replace it. the keyboards with the early imacs
weren't that great anyway.

you probably have a few usb keyboards already, so no need to buy
anything.

> With nothing to lose I'm tempted to try taking it apart.
> Can anybody offer hints where to looks for trouble of this
> sort?

at or near the non-functional top and bottom rows.

bob prohaska

Feb 2, 2020, 2:04:43 PM2/2/20
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> keyboards are cheap. replace it. the keyboards with the early imacs
> weren't that great anyway.

I happen to like the feel of this one....

> you probably have a few usb keyboards already, so no need to buy
> anything.

No spares, unfortunately.

>> With nothing to lose I'm tempted to try taking it apart.
>> Can anybody offer hints where to looks for trouble of this
>> sort?
>
> at or near the non-functional top and bottom rows.

Much more informative:
https://siber-sonic.com/mac/keyboards/M2452.html

but not very encouraging. As usual, Apple makes it hard as
possible to fix thing.......

bob prohaska

nospam

Feb 2, 2020, 3:10:39 PM2/2/20
In article <r176ga$71t$1...@news.albasani.net>, bob prohaska
<b...@www.zefox.net> wrote:

> >> With nothing to lose I'm tempted to try taking it apart.
> >> Can anybody offer hints where to looks for trouble of this
> >> sort?
> >
> > at or near the non-functional top and bottom rows.
>
> Much more informative:
> https://siber-sonic.com/mac/keyboards/M2452.html
>
> but not very encouraging. As usual, Apple makes it hard as
> possible to fix thing.......

apple did not make it as hard as possible to fix.

keyboards are never easy to fix no matter who makes them.