Seashore's simple/basic graphic editor replacement in mac OS v10.12/Sierra?

1 view

Ant

Oct 16, 2016, 7:11:24 PM10/16/16
Hello.

Old Seashore graphic editor crashes in mac OS Sierra/v10.12. I assume
there will be no way to get it to work from what I read in its SF forum
since others reported the same issue. And the developer hasn't worked on
it for many years.

Does anyone know of a good free replacement for it? Gimp is too slow,
bloated, and advanced for me.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "I really believe I've been a good person. Not
perfect - forget about perfect - but just learning by what I was taught

nospam

Oct 16, 2016, 7:24:02 PM10/16/16
In article <H_2dncpJHtmKlJnF...@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Old Seashore graphic editor crashes in mac OS Sierra/v10.12. I assume
> there will be no way to get it to work from what I read in its SF forum
> since others reported the same issue. And the developer hasn't worked on
> it for many years.
>
> Does anyone know of a good free replacement for it? Gimp is too slow,
> bloated, and advanced for me.

gimp and advanced do not belong in the same sentence. confusing and a
horrible user interface yes. advanced no.

depending on what you need to do, preview, photos or photoshop elements
(which is much easier to use than the gimp).

Ant

Oct 17, 2016, 3:00:57 AM10/17/16
I need a simple graphic editor like Seashore like drawings, adding
texts, etc.

Jolly Roger

Oct 17, 2016, 11:56:50 AM10/17/16
Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:
> In comp.sys.mac.graphics nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> In article <H_2dncpJHtmKlJnF...@earthlink.com>, Ant
>> <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:
>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> Old Seashore graphic editor crashes in mac OS Sierra/v10.12. I assume
>>> there will be no way to get it to work from what I read in its SF forum
>>> since others reported the same issue. And the developer hasn't worked on
>>> it for many years.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a good free replacement for it? Gimp is too slow,
>>> bloated, and advanced for me.
>
>> gimp and advanced do not belong in the same sentence. confusing and a
>> horrible user interface yes. advanced no.
>
>> depending on what you need to do, preview, photos or photoshop elements
>> (which is much easier to use than the gimp).
>
> I need a simple graphic editor like Seashore like drawings, adding
> texts, etc.

Did you look at Preview's capabilities? If they aren't enough, Pixelmator
might be right for you - though it isn't free.

JR

Bob

Oct 18, 2016, 11:20:04 AM10/18/16
In comp.sys.mac.apps Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:

> Old Seashore graphic editor crashes in mac OS Sierra/v10.12. I assume
> there will be no way to get it to work from what I read in its SF forum
> since others reported the same issue. And the developer hasn't worked on
> it for many years.

> Does anyone know of a good free replacement for it? Gimp is too slow,
> bloated, and advanced for me.

I also like Seashore and use it regularly under El Capitan. I just
tried to use Seashore on a test machine with Sierra and it crashed
for me as well. That's disapointing.

If you wanted to keep using Seashore, you could set-up El Capitan in a
virtual machine and run it that way.

I don't know of something free to replace Seashore with, but for
$30 Acorn (available in the App Store) is very good and gets regular
updates from the developer. I got Acorn, after having used Seashore
for a number of years and I found it fairly easy to figure how to
get it to do what I wanted. While Acorn doesn't work exactly like
Seashore, it is similar.

Savageduck

Oct 18, 2016, 2:04:52 PM10/18/16
Seashore is a Cocoa UI implementation of GIMP, and while Acorn does a
good enough job, both Pixelmator and Affinity Photo are far superior.
--
Regards,

Savageduck