Infini D 2.6?

Paul L. Moses

Apr 11, 1994, 12:13:57 PM4/11/94
Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little, but the latest MacWarehouse
catalog came in on Saturday and it lists Infini-D *2.6*
Now I just got the (free) upgrade to 2.52 not too long ago and
am kind of surprised to see this. Questions:
- Is it a free upgrade?
- What is -new- in it?
- Did they fix the modeler to actually make it useful?
- Is this simply a PowerPC version that is irrelevant to
us '040 users?

Any clarification would be appreciated.
Paul

Michael Puskar

Apr 11, 1994, 7:29:19 PM4/11/94
plm...@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu (Paul L. Moses) writes:

>Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little, but the latest MacWarehouse
>catalog came in on Saturday and it lists Infini-D *2.6*
>Now I just got the (free) upgrade to 2.52 not too long ago and
>am kind of surprised to see this. Questions:

NO, it costs $49.

> - Is it a free upgrade?

See above :)

> - What is -new- in it?

The big thing is that it is now PPC native. A smart insatller, I believe.
Some interface design things have also been changed, but the PPc thing is
the big deal

> - Did they fix the modeler to actually make it useful?

That is scheduled for 3.0

> - Is this simply a PowerPC version that is irrelevant to
> us '040 users?

Well, Yes on the whole, but please do not take my word for it. This is
just what I have heard (At least from reasonable people), but it may
contain some other improvements.
Michael
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
-Ash, Housewares
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Frankenpooh!

Apr 11, 1994, 7:59:57 PM4/11/94
In a previous article, plm...@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu (Paul L. Moses) wrote:
>Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little, but the latest MacWarehouse
>catalog came in on Saturday and it lists Infini-D *2.6*
>Now I just got the (free) upgrade to 2.52 not too long ago and
>am kind of surprised to see this. Questions:
> - Is it a free upgrade?
> - What is -new- in it?
> - Did they fix the modeler to actually make it useful?
> - Is this simply a PowerPC version that is irrelevant to
> us '040 users?

PLEASE DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS, but I've been following a similar discussion on
AOL about this... 2.6 just shipped for '030/040 Macs. I'm not sure if the
PPC version has shipped yet, but I believe it is the same version. They are
calling this "the most stable version ever." I don't think there are any
major improvements. I don't think it's a free upgrade (unless you just
purchased 2.52), think it's $25 or so.

I really don't think the modeler is any more "useful" yet. They are putting
together the feature list for 3.0 right now, and I'm sure fixings to the
modeler are way up on the list. That'll be a while in the future though.

/----------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| > < Mitch Cohen * Multimedia consultant * MCo...@vax.clarku.edu |
| ^ Any opinions expressed are clearly not my own. |
| v Ask me a riddle and I'll reply, cottleston cottleston cottleston pie. |
\____________________________________________________________________________/

Peter &

Apr 11, 1994, 10:42:43 PM4/11/94

From: plm...@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu (Paul L. Moses)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.graphics
Date: 11 Apr 1994 12:13:57 -0400

Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little, but the latest MacWarehouse
catalog came in on Saturday and it lists Infini-D *2.6*
Now I just got the (free) upgrade to 2.52 not too long ago and
am kind of surprised to see this. Questions:
- Is it a free upgrade?

It's $49 + shipping and handling. Just shipping and handling costs if you
bought 2.5 recently (call the company for the exact cutoff date --
1-800-433-SPEC -- I'm not sure what it is).

- What is -new- in it?

The DXF import filter has been extensively reworked and now supports a wider
variety of DXF "flavors", rendering speeds have been improved in many cases,
particularly on '040 macs, error handling and low memory handling have been
improved significantly, some cosmetic improvements have been made to the
interface, Animation Assitants are now plug-ins, so third parties can write
their own, you can set a light's intensity separately from its color, and if
your scene has more than 20 objects, the object selection popup menus are
replaced by a dialog with a scrolling list (I think 20 is the cutoff number,
but I don't remember for sure).

The upgrage also includes the native PowerMac version, which includes all of
the previous features in addition to being very, very fast.

- Did they fix the modeler to actually make it useful?

The modeler has not changed (we're definitely working on it, though). I would
disagree with the assertion that it isn't useful (take a look at some of our
Replicas packages, especially the new Humanoids one, for examples of what you
can do with it), but it is not nearly as intuitive as the rest of the package,
and there are quite a few organic shapes you just can't create with it. As I
said, though, we are working on it.

- Is this simply a PowerPC version that is irrelevant to
us '040 users?

It is relevant to either 68k or Power Mac users.

Any clarification would be appreciated.
Paul

Enjoy!

--
/-------------------- Peter E. Lee, Software Conductor ----------------------\
| Specular International, Inc. |

Charles Eicher

Apr 12, 1994, 1:23:33 AM4/12/94
I just got the upgrade announcement via snail mail today. It should be in
your mailbox soon if you're a current owner.

One problem though, I just bought the 2.5 upgrade about 1 week before the
2.6 announcement, so they promised me a $15 upgrade. But, the offer I got
was $49.

So where's my FREE (except shipping) upgrade?!?!?!?!!!

-------------------
Charles Eicher
cei...@halcyon.com
-------------------

Peter &

Apr 12, 1994, 9:18:01 AM4/12/94

From: cei...@halcyon.com (Charles Eicher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.graphics
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 23:23:33 -0600

I just got the upgrade announcement via snail mail today. It should be in
your mailbox soon if you're a current owner.

One problem though, I just bought the 2.5 upgrade about 1 week before the
2.6 announcement, so they promised me a $15 upgrade. But, the offer I got
was $49.

So where's my FREE (except shipping) upgrade?!?!?!?!!!

I'm in R&D, not Sales, so I can't help you out directly, but if you give the
company a call (1-800-433-SPEC or (413) 253-3100) and explain the situation,
I'm sure they'll be able to sort things out...

-------------------
Charles Eicher
cei...@halcyon.com
-------------------

Peter &

Apr 13, 1994, 9:27:54 AM4/13/94

From: John Churchill <bone...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.graphics
Date: 12 Apr 1994 23:23:04 GMT

In article <2ocmgf$7...@cmcl2.NYU.EDU> Michael Puskar, pus...@acf2.nyu.edu
writes:

>That is scheduled for 3.0

Could one of you Infini-D guys give some details of what new features
will be in version 3.0, and WHEN it will be released? (Should we add 3
months to any release date a la RayDream?)

We have not yet set either a final date or a final feature list. I suspect
that the release date will be within 9-12 months, but that is just a guess,
not any kind of official statement. The only feature that will almost
certainly be on the list is a greatly improved modeler. We're shooting for
something that will be state-of-the-art for the Macintosh when it is released,
but much easier to learn and use than anything out there now. We've started
work on a couple of other cool new features internally as well, but they're
not far enough along to talk about yet. Our main focii right now are the next
version of Collage, the next version of BackBurner (possibly native for
PowerMacintosh), and a native version of LogoMotion, though work on Infini-D
is definitely happening as well.

If you have specific requests for version 3.0, let me know, and I'll pass them
along...

Tim Prebble

Apr 13, 1994, 10:09:19 AM4/13/94
heres the official word....

New features of Infini-D 2.6 include:
Accelerated for Power Macintosh
Expanded DXF file import
Improved performance with complex scene files
Faster rendering speed on all machines
Extended lighting capabilities
Optimized memory handling
Easier installation

Compatibility and Availability
Infini-D 2.6 will be packaged in a single box with a smart installer
that will determine the machines type and install either a 68K-based
Macintosh version or a Power Macintosh version. The two are functionally
identical: the only obvious difference will be that of speed. Files saved
in any version of Infini-D will be compatible with both.
Infini-D 2.6 will be available directly from Specular as well as through
warehouses and mail-order catalogs. Customers can call (800) 433-7732 for
sales information.

Upgrades and Pricing
The price of Infini-D 2.6 is currently set at $695. Upgrades from
Infini-D version 2.5 or later will cost $49 (plus shipping and handling)
for registered users and are available directly from Specular.

Auntie Em. Hate you, hate Kansas, taking the dog. Dorothy.

John Churchill

Apr 14, 1994, 10:16:04 AM4/14/94
In article <2oguef$4...@status.gen.nz> Tim Prebble, ti...@iconz.co.nz
writes:

>New features of Infini-D 2.6 include:
> Accelerated for Power Macintosh

Since Infini-D makes extensive use of the FPU, can we assume that version
2.6 on a 6100/60 will smoke a pentium? (About how much faster would a
rendering be over a Q700?)

Paul Horne

Apr 14, 1994, 5:19:06 PM4/14/94
I'd like to see a modeler like Ray Dream's, where the xyz planes are
already there and you don't have to start from scratch every time...

Peter &

Apr 14, 1994, 9:45:02 PM4/14/94

From: John Churchill <bone...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.graphics

Date: 14 Apr 1994 14:16:04 GMT

writes:
>New features of Infini-D 2.6 include:
> Accelerated for Power Macintosh

Since Infini-D makes extensive use of the FPU, can we assume that version
2.6 on a 6100/60 will smoke a pentium?

Surely, since Infini-D only runs on Macs :-) If it did run on Intel hardware,
though, the PowerPC version would almost certainly be faster, since the
software is incredibly floating-point intensive...

(About how much faster would a rendering be over a Q700?)

The last benchmark I saw put a beta 6100/60 at about 4-6 times faster than a
Quadra 700 or 900. I haven't seen the benchmarks for shipping software and
hardware...

mjb0123...@gmail.com

Nov 26, 2017, 9:40:54 AM11/26/17
Does anybody know if you can still open a file that was made with Infini-D 2.6? I have some old Star Wars models on disk that I am dying to see in action.

Email me at mjb0123...@gmail.com
11/26/2017