Screen capturing on Retina Macs...

Ant

Oct 14, 2015, 2:51:43 PM10/14/15
Hello.

I noticed screen capturing on Retina Macs show very high resolutions and
sizes. Is there a way not to have this big since I copy and paste them
into documents, e-mails, etc. often?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "The eyeless ant asked God, 'Give me eye-lashes.'" --Georgian Proverb
| |o o| |

Snit

Oct 14, 2015, 3:18:35 PM10/14/15
Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I noticed screen capturing on Retina Macs show very high resolutions and
> sizes. Is there a way not to have this big since I copy and paste them
> into documents, e-mails, etc. often?
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

No great way, but found this online and seems like it should work:

Use OsX embedded Automator to downsize screenshots automatically after they
taken.

1. Open /Applications/Automator
2. Create a "Folder Action"
3. At the top of the window, where it says "Folder Action receives file and
folders added to", select "Desktop"
4. From the panel on the left, select "Files & Folders" and drag the item
"Filter Finder Items" to the right panel.
5. Add the following conditions to the Filter Finder Items action: Name
begins with "Screen Shot"; Kind is image.
6. (Optional step: if you want to keep copy of originals) - From the
Actions list on the left, find "Copy Finder Items" and drag it to the panel
on the right. Set the destination folder for the image copy (for example:
"To: Pictures")
7. In the Actions library on the left, click on "Photos" and drag the
"Scale Images" action to the right panel.
8. In the Scale Images action, select "By Percentage" from the drop-down
and set the value to 50.
9. Select File > Save and give the Folder Action a snappy name like
"Smaller Screenshot Copy"

Jamie Kahn Genet

Oct 14, 2015, 3:27:58 PM10/14/15
Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I noticed screen capturing on Retina Macs show very high resolutions and
> sizes. Is there a way not to have this big since I copy and paste them
> into documents, e-mails, etc. often?
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

I know it's not quite what you're after, but third party screen
capturing utilities have a greater feature set, and many allow one to
choose default and ad hoc settings to save the screenshots. I used to
use Ambrosia Software's years ago.

Patty Winter

Oct 14, 2015, 4:50:02 PM10/14/15

In article <KbedncUb4bWjOYPL...@earthlink.com>,
Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:
>Hello.
>
>I noticed screen capturing on Retina Macs show very high resolutions and
>sizes. Is there a way not to have this big since I copy and paste them
>into documents, e-mails, etc. often?

I just bring screenshots up in Preview and save them as smaller files,
so that's an option if you don't want to use Automator.

Patty

Jolly Roger

Oct 14, 2015, 4:56:18 PM10/14/15
That's usually what I do as well. And if I am doing it a lot, I use
AppleScript or Automator to automated it.

JR

Snit

Oct 14, 2015, 5:14:22 PM10/14/15
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2015-10-14, Patty Winter <pat...@wintertime.com> wrote:
>>
>> In article <KbedncUb4bWjOYPL...@earthlink.com>,
>> Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I noticed screen capturing on Retina Macs show very high resolutions and
>>> sizes. Is there a way not to have this big since I copy and paste them
>>> into documents, e-mails, etc. often?
>>
>> I just bring screenshots up in Preview and save them as smaller files,
>> so that's an option if you don't want to use Automator.
>
> That's usually what I do as well. And if I am doing it a lot, I use
> AppleScript or Automator to automated it.

Instead of the fully automated script I quoted before, I would likely have
a System Service set so any image I want can be resized to 1/2 resolution.
I am not on retina so no need here.

Jolly Roger

Oct 14, 2015, 9:18:46 PM10/14/15
I'd make it a service too, since that would let you simply right-click the
image(s) on the desktop to resize them. I've written image conversion
folder actions in the past as well.

Snit

Oct 14, 2015, 9:21:09 PM10/14/15
On 10/14/15, 6:18 PM, in article d88d7k...@mid.individual.net, "Jolly
Roger" <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
>> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> That's usually what I do as well. And if I am doing it a lot, I use
>>> AppleScript or Automator to automated it.
>>

>> Instead of the fully automated script I quoted before, I would likely have
>> a System Service set so any image I want can be resized to 1/2 resolution.
>> I am not on retina so no need here.
>
> I'd make it a service too, since that would let you simply right-click the
> image(s) on the desktop to resize them. I've written image conversion
> folder actions in the past as well.

I used to have one to resize to a specific size - would be easy to modify to
make it a percentage.

--
* OS X / Linux: What is a file? <http://youtu.be/_dMbXGLW9PI>
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: <http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE>

Savageduck

Oct 15, 2015, 12:16:27 AM10/15/15
On 2015-10-14 19:27:56 +0000, jam...@wizardling.geek.nz (Jamie Kahn
Genet) said:

> Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I noticed screen capturing on Retina Macs show very high resolutions and
>> sizes. Is there a way not to have this big since I copy and paste them
>> into documents, e-mails, etc. often?
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
>
> I know it's not quite what you're after, but third party screen
> capturing utilities have a greater feature set, and many allow one to
> choose default and ad hoc settings to save the screenshots. I used to
> use Ambrosia Software's years ago.

There is also SnapNDrag from YellowMug Software.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Jamie Kahn Genet

Oct 15, 2015, 12:18:05 AM10/15/15
Great idea. I always forget about Folder Actions, though they've existed
since System 7 days.

Snit

Oct 15, 2015, 10:15:47 AM10/15/15
On 10/14/15, 9:18 PM, in article
1mccg0l.1sex0v413blshgN%jam...@wizardling.geek.nz, "Jamie Kahn Genet"
I use them from time to time... they work better and faster in modern OS X
than they did back on System 7 - and they were pretty cool back then.

M-M

Oct 15, 2015, 10:25:57 AM10/15/15
In article <2015101421162687249-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
Why not just use GraphicConverter: cmd-Y, 50%, <enter>?

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com

Jolly Roger

Oct 15, 2015, 11:53:39 AM10/15/15
Because Preview does the same thing for free?

Savageduck

Oct 15, 2015, 12:04:50 PM10/15/15
On 2015-10-15 15:53:38 +0000, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> said:

> M-M <nos...@ny.more> wrote:
>> In article <2015101421162687249-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

>>> There is also SnapNDrag from YellowMug Software.
>>
>> Why not just use GraphicConverter: cmd-Y, 50%, <enter>?
>
> Because Preview does the same thing for free?

Yup!
There are a whole bunch of ways to make the screen capture. The issue
for the OP is the file size & resolution. Some software can deal with
that at capture otherwise the resizing has to be done using one of the
other methods mentioned.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Alan Browne

Oct 15, 2015, 1:36:41 PM10/15/15
On 2015-10-14 14:51, Ant wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I noticed screen capturing on Retina Macs show very high resolutions and
> sizes. Is there a way not to have this big since I copy and paste them
> into documents, e-mails, etc. often?

Easily resized via Preview|Tools.

Alan Browne

Oct 15, 2015, 1:37:19 PM10/15/15
On 2015-10-15 11:53, Jolly Roger wrote:
> M-M <nos...@ny.more> wrote:
>> In article <2015101421162687249-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

>>> There is also SnapNDrag from YellowMug Software.
>>
>> Why not just use GraphicConverter: cmd-Y, 50%, <enter>?
>
> Because Preview does the same thing for free?

Yep. I'm astounded at some of the replies.

Preview|Tools does it quite handily.

Ant

Oct 15, 2015, 1:50:08 PM10/15/15
> > I noticed screen capturing on Retina Macs show very high resolutions and
> > sizes. Is there a way not to have this big since I copy and paste them
> > into documents, e-mails, etc. often?

> Easily resized via Preview|Tools.

Is there a way to resize in memory without saving as files? Like always
set 50% of the screen captures I take? I usually screen capture and then
paste directly into Word 2011 documents.

Jolly Roger

Oct 15, 2015, 3:04:57 PM10/15/15
On 2015-10-15, Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:
>> > I noticed screen capturing on Retina Macs show very high resolutions and
>> > sizes. Is there a way not to have this big since I copy and paste them
>> > into documents, e-mails, etc. often?
>
>> Easily resized via Preview|Tools.
>
> Is there a way to resize in memory without saving as files? Like always
> set 50% of the screen captures I take? I usually screen capture and then
> paste directly into Word 2011 documents.

Nope. You'll have to take a screen shot to a file and resize it. Again,
this can easily be automated with tools built into OS X.

BTW, I'm not sure what your reasoning is behind pasting graphics into
Word documents; but you should know you may very well be making life
harder than need be for whoever you happen to be sending these Word
files to. Word screws up images pasted into Word documents such that it
is often impossible to get anything but a low-resolution copy of the
image out of the document, which can be especially bad if there is text
or other fine details in the image that someone needs to be able to read
easily. I hope you aren't using Word needlessly for this purpose.

Snit

Oct 15, 2015, 4:55:21 PM10/15/15
On 10/15/15, 7:25 AM, in article 151020151025567719%nos...@ny.more, "M-M"
Easier to right click and use an Automator action. And Automator is free
(and comes with OS X).

Snit

Oct 15, 2015, 4:55:23 PM10/15/15
On 10/15/15, 12:04 PM, in article d8abmm...@mid.individual.net, "Jolly
Roger" <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> Easily resized via Preview|Tools.
>>
>> Is there a way to resize in memory without saving as files? Like always
>> set 50% of the screen captures I take? I usually screen capture and then
>> paste directly into Word 2011 documents.
>
> Nope. You'll have to take a screen shot to a file and resize it. Again,
> this can easily be automated with tools built into OS X.
>
> BTW, I'm not sure what your reasoning is behind pasting graphics into
> Word documents; but you should know you may very well be making life
> harder than need be for whoever you happen to be sending these Word
> files to. Word screws up images pasted into Word documents such that it
> is often impossible to get anything but a low-resolution copy of the
> image out of the document, which can be especially bad if there is text
> or other fine details in the image that someone needs to be able to read
> easily. I hope you aren't using Word needlessly for this purpose.

Good point. For some of my classes I have students send me screenshots...
and some INSIST on doing it in a Word document no matter how much I tell
them not to.

Jolly Roger

Oct 15, 2015, 4:58:19 PM10/15/15
On 2015-10-15, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
> On 10/15/15, 12:04 PM, in article d8abmm...@mid.individual.net, "Jolly
> Roger" <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> Is there a way to resize in memory without saving as files? Like always
>>> set 50% of the screen captures I take? I usually screen capture and then
>>> paste directly into Word 2011 documents.
>>
>> Nope. You'll have to take a screen shot to a file and resize it. Again,
>> this can easily be automated with tools built into OS X.
>>
>> BTW, I'm not sure what your reasoning is behind pasting graphics into
>> Word documents; but you should know you may very well be making life
>> harder than need be for whoever you happen to be sending these Word
>> files to. Word screws up images pasted into Word documents such that it
>> is often impossible to get anything but a low-resolution copy of the
>> image out of the document, which can be especially bad if there is text
>> or other fine details in the image that someone needs to be able to read
>> easily. I hope you aren't using Word needlessly for this purpose.
>
> Good point. For some of my classes I have students send me screenshots...
> and some INSIST on doing it in a Word document no matter how much I tell
> them not to.

Yes, usually they are completely ignorant of the issue.

Ant

Oct 15, 2015, 5:49:10 PM10/15/15

> >> Nope. You'll have to take a screen shot to a file and resize it. Again,
> >> this can easily be automated with tools built into OS X.
> >>
> >> BTW, I'm not sure what your reasoning is behind pasting graphics into
> >> Word documents; but you should know you may very well be making life
> >> harder than need be for whoever you happen to be sending these Word
> >> files to. Word screws up images pasted into Word documents such that it
> >> is often impossible to get anything but a low-resolution copy of the
> >> image out of the document, which can be especially bad if there is text
> >> or other fine details in the image that someone needs to be able to read
> >> easily. I hope you aren't using Word needlessly for this purpose.
> >
> > Good point. For some of my classes I have students send me screenshots...
> > and some INSIST on doing it in a Word document no matter how much I tell
> > them not to.

> Yes, usually they are completely ignorant of the issue.

Interesting. What's the best way to collect screen shots in a document
file to share with others (Windows and Mac users)? Basically, I screen
capture into a document with texts for each image online. :)

David Ritz

Oct 15, 2015, 6:00:56 PM10/15/15

Ant

Oct 15, 2015, 6:02:14 PM10/15/15

> >> Yes, usually they are completely ignorant of the issue.

> > Interesting. What's the best way to collect screen shots in a document
> > file to share with others (Windows and Mac users)? Basically, I screen
> > capture into a document with texts for each image online. :)

> HTML via HTTP.

Ah. Hmm, I'll have to ask my boss about that if we can do that.

Jolly Roger

Oct 15, 2015, 6:21:26 PM10/15/15
On 2015-10-15, Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:

>> > Good point. For some of my classes I have students send me screenshots...
>> > and some INSIST on doing it in a Word document no matter how much I tell
>> > them not to.
>
>> Yes, usually they are completely ignorant of the issue.
>
> Interesting. What's the best way to collect screen shots in a document
> file to share with others (Windows and Mac users)? Basically, I screen
> capture into a document with texts for each image online. :)

What's wrong with opening TextEdit, pasting them there? TextEdit creates
RTF documents by default. All platforms can view RTF files.

Jolly Roger

Oct 15, 2015, 6:22:37 PM10/15/15
On 2015-10-15, David Ritz <dr...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 15 October 2015 16:49 -0500,
> in article <QNudneK5jfrIgr3L...@earthlink.com>,

>>> Yes, usually they are completely ignorant of the issue.
>
>> Interesting. What's the best way to collect screen shots in a document
>> file to share with others (Windows and Mac users)? Basically, I screen
>> capture into a document with texts for each image online. :)
>
> HTML via HTTP.

That's probably going to be a lot more work for Ant.

If you just want to collect images in a document, just use TextEdit.

Snit

Oct 15, 2015, 6:34:46 PM10/15/15
On 10/15/15, 1:58 PM, in article d8aib9...@mid.individual.net, "Jolly
The sad thing is I have video instructions for the class - and that INCLUDES
how to take screenshots on OS X and Windows (the class is for software that
does not run on Linux, so no Linux instructions).

Snit

Oct 15, 2015, 6:34:48 PM10/15/15
On 10/15/15, 3:21 PM, in article d8an74...@mid.individual.net, "Jolly
Roger" <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, usually they are completely ignorant of the issue.
>>
>> Interesting. What's the best way to collect screen shots in a document
>> file to share with others (Windows and Mac users)? Basically, I screen
>> capture into a document with texts for each image online. :)
>
> What's wrong with opening TextEdit, pasting them there? TextEdit creates
> RTF documents by default. All platforms can view RTF files.

What is wrong with just sending images? :)

Jolly Roger

Oct 15, 2015, 6:40:45 PM10/15/15
On 2015-10-15, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
> On 10/15/15, 1:58 PM, in article d8aib9...@mid.individual.net, "Jolly
> Roger" <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, usually they are completely ignorant of the issue.
>
> The sad thing is I have video instructions for the class - and that INCLUDES
> how to take screenshots on OS X and Windows (the class is for software that
> does not run on Linux, so no Linux instructions).

I've encountered it in the professional graphics and printing industry
as well as in the software/hardware tech industry - both places where
you might think people would know better. : D

Jolly Roger

Oct 15, 2015, 6:41:22 PM10/15/15
On 2015-10-15, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

>>> Interesting. What's the best way to collect screen shots in a document
>>> file to share with others (Windows and Mac users)? Basically, I screen
>>> capture into a document with texts for each image online. :)
>>
>> What's wrong with opening TextEdit, pasting them there? TextEdit creates
>> RTF documents by default. All platforms can view RTF files.
>
> What is wrong with just sending images? :)

True. I was assuming he wanted to collect them and add text or
something. You could do that in a simple email too.

David Empson

Oct 15, 2015, 7:39:08 PM10/15/15
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> Easily resized via Preview|Tools.
> >
> > Is there a way to resize in memory without saving as files? Like always
> > set 50% of the screen captures I take? I usually screen capture and then
> > paste directly into Word 2011 documents.
>
> Nope. You'll have to take a screen shot to a file and resize it. Again,
> this can easily be automated with tools built into OS X.

No temporary files manual method: hold down the Contol key while taking
the screenshot and it goes to the clipboard. Preview has a "New from
Clipboard" command, then resize, then you can copy and paste from
Preview to final destination (usually email in my case).

I do this rarely enough that I haven't bothered trying to automate it.

> BTW, I'm not sure what your reasoning is behind pasting graphics into
> Word documents; but you should know you may very well be making life
> harder than need be for whoever you happen to be sending these Word
> files to. Word screws up images pasted into Word documents such that it
> is often impossible to get anything but a low-resolution copy of the
> image out of the document, which can be especially bad if there is text
> or other fine details in the image that someone needs to be able to read
> easily. I hope you aren't using Word needlessly for this purpose.

Why does this not surprise me?

(To my great relief, I have never needed to use Microsoft Office enough
to bother learning its idiosyncracies.)

--
David Empson
dem...@actrix.gen.nz

Patty Winter

Oct 15, 2015, 7:45:02 PM10/15/15

In article <QNudneK5jfrIgr3L...@earthlink.com>,
Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:

[bunch of unneeded quotage deleted]

>Interesting. What's the best way to collect screen shots in a document
>file to share with others (Windows and Mac users)? Basically, I screen
>capture into a document with texts for each image online. :)

If you just want to share them online, why do they need to be in a
document? Just use one of the many ways to upload and annotate images
on a web page.

Patty

Snit

Oct 15, 2015, 8:47:29 PM10/15/15
On 10/15/15, 4:01 PM, in article slrnn20c5s....@amelia.local,
"Lewis" <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

>>> Good point. For some of my classes I have students send me screenshots...
>>> and some INSIST on doing it in a Word document no matter how much I tell
>>> them not to.
>
> "F" for failing to follow directions.

I am more concerned about content then format of the document, but, yes, if
I had a number of these I would give one warning then take points. Maybe I
should straight from the start - this is COLLAGE after all.

>> Yes, usually they are completely ignorant of the issue.
>
> Ignorant and lazy and incapable of listening.

Even when shown a video on how to do it correctly!

Snit

Oct 15, 2015, 8:47:30 PM10/15/15
On 10/15/15, 3:41 PM, in article d8aoch...@mid.individual.net, "Jolly
Roger" <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2015-10-15, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

>>> What's wrong with opening TextEdit, pasting them there? TextEdit creates
>>> RTF documents by default. All platforms can view RTF files.
>>
>> What is wrong with just sending images? :)
>
> True. I was assuming he wanted to collect them and add text or
> something. You could do that in a simple email too.

And with Markup it is easy to make most needed edits in Mail. Of course,
Windows users have no such tool.

Snit

Oct 15, 2015, 8:47:30 PM10/15/15
On 10/15/15, 3:40 PM, in article d8aoba...@mid.individual.net, "Jolly
Roger" <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2015-10-15, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
>> On 10/15/15, 1:58 PM, in article d8aib9...@mid.individual.net, "Jolly
>> Roger" <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, usually they are completely ignorant of the issue.
>>
>> The sad thing is I have video instructions for the class - and that INCLUDES
>> how to take screenshots on OS X and Windows (the class is for software that
>> does not run on Linux, so no Linux instructions).
>
> I've encountered it in the professional graphics and printing industry
> as well as in the software/hardware tech industry - both places where
> you might think people would know better. : D

Yes... I get this from clients and others, too. They SHOULD know better.

Jolly Roger

Oct 15, 2015, 10:09:28 PM10/15/15
On 2015-10-15, David Empson <dem...@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>> > Is there a way to resize in memory without saving as files? Like always
>> > set 50% of the screen captures I take? I usually screen capture and then
>> > paste directly into Word 2011 documents.
>>
>> Nope. You'll have to take a screen shot to a file and resize it. Again,
>> this can easily be automated with tools built into OS X.
>
> No temporary files manual method: hold down the Contol key while taking
> the screenshot and it goes to the clipboard. Preview has a "New from
> Clipboard" command, then resize, then you can copy and paste from
> Preview to final destination (usually email in my case).
>
> I do this rarely enough that I haven't bothered trying to automate it.

Ah, that's true. I have used that a few times.

>> BTW, I'm not sure what your reasoning is behind pasting graphics into
>> Word documents; but you should know you may very well be making life
>> harder than need be for whoever you happen to be sending these Word
>> files to. Word screws up images pasted into Word documents such that it
>> is often impossible to get anything but a low-resolution copy of the
>> image out of the document, which can be especially bad if there is text
>> or other fine details in the image that someone needs to be able to read
>> easily. I hope you aren't using Word needlessly for this purpose.
>
> Why does this not surprise me?
>
> (To my great relief, I have never needed to use Microsoft Office enough
> to bother learning its idiosyncracies.)

I mostly have to support people who do more than use it myself. When I
need a quick rich text document, I reach for TextEdit more often than
not.

Snit

Oct 15, 2015, 10:22:58 PM10/15/15
On 10/15/15, 7:09 PM, in article d8b4im...@mid.individual.net, "Jolly
Roger" <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> BTW, I'm not sure what your reasoning is behind pasting graphics into
>>> Word documents; but you should know you may very well be making life
>>> harder than need be for whoever you happen to be sending these Word
>>> files to. Word screws up images pasted into Word documents such that it
>>> is often impossible to get anything but a low-resolution copy of the
>>> image out of the document, which can be especially bad if there is text
>>> or other fine details in the image that someone needs to be able to read
>>> easily. I hope you aren't using Word needlessly for this purpose.
>>
>> Why does this not surprise me?
>>
>> (To my great relief, I have never needed to use Microsoft Office enough
>> to bother learning its idiosyncracies.)
>
> I mostly have to support people who do more than use it myself. When I
> need a quick rich text document, I reach for TextEdit more often than
> not.

I use Word for APA style papers. For most of my other word processing needs
I use Pages. It has few features but what it does it tends to do better and
smoother. A bit outdated, but I show this here:

Jolly Roger

Oct 15, 2015, 10:28:11 PM10/15/15
Yes. And if you are really lazy, you don't even need to bother with an
HTML web page. You can simply toss the images into a directory on any
Apache web server to have them automatically show up in a list:

<http://jollyroger.kicks-ass.org/images/>

(The standard list looks much more generic, but with some HTML/CSS you
can customize the look of it as I did above.)

Erilar

Oct 16, 2015, 4:44:04 PM10/16/15
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> M-M <nos...@ny.more> wrote:
>> In article <2015101421162687249-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

>>> There is also SnapNDrag from YellowMug Software.
>>
>> Why not just use GraphicConverter: cmd-Y, 50%, <enter>?
>
> Because Preview does the same thing for free?

Preview has never impressed me. . . But then, I've had GC since the early
90s 8-)

--
biblioholic medievalist via iPad

Erilar

Oct 16, 2015, 4:44:04 PM10/16/15
M-M <nos...@ny.more> wrote:
> In article <2015101421162687249-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
> Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-10-14 19:27:56 +0000, jam...@wizardling.geek.nz (Jamie Kahn
>> Genet) said:

>>> I know it's not quite what you're after, but third party screen
>>> capturing utilities have a greater feature set, and many allow one to
>>> choose default and ad hoc settings to save the screenshots. I used to
>>> use Ambrosia Software's years ago.
>>
>> There is also SnapNDrag from YellowMug Software.
>
> Why not just use GraphicConverter: cmd-Y, 50%, <enter>?

I have to use GC for that, among other uses. Very useful.

Alan Browne

Oct 16, 2015, 5:03:32 PM10/16/15
On 2015-10-15 13:50, Ant wrote:
>>> I noticed screen capturing on Retina Macs show very high resolutions and
>>> sizes. Is there a way not to have this big since I copy and paste them
>>> into documents, e-mails, etc. often?
>
>> Easily resized via Preview|Tools.
>
> Is there a way to resize in memory without saving as files? Like always
> set 50% of the screen captures I take? I usually screen capture and then
> paste directly into Word 2011 documents.

Not that I know of, but it would be nifty if there was an option for
Screen Capture to open the image in Preview before writing the file.
That would satisfy your need above. (But being good Unix programmers,
Apple engineers would probably write the temp copy to disk before
invoking Preview - so would come to the same thing...)

As to managing screenshots written to disk, I typically write them to
the download folder and then use them (and edit them from there). I
cleanup the download folder regularly so that's a good place to keep
them. (The default is the desktop but that's easily changed).

Alan Browne

Oct 16, 2015, 5:04:40 PM10/16/15
On 2015-10-15 16:55, Snit wrote:
> Good point. For some of my classes I have students send me screenshots...
> and some INSIST on doing it in a Word document no matter how much I tell
> them not to.

There is worse. Some people send me joke collections or photo
collections within PowerPoint presentations. Double-ugh.

Alan Browne

Oct 16, 2015, 5:07:29 PM10/16/15
On 2015-10-15 19:39, David Empson wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> Is there a way to resize in memory without saving as files? Like always
>>> set 50% of the screen captures I take? I usually screen capture and then
>>> paste directly into Word 2011 documents.
>>
>> Nope. You'll have to take a screen shot to a file and resize it. Again,
>> this can easily be automated with tools built into OS X.
>
> No temporary files manual method: hold down the Contol key while taking
> the screenshot and it goes to the clipboard. Preview has a "New from
> Clipboard" command, then resize, then you can copy and paste from
> Preview to final destination (usually email in my case).

Aha! (man I should read more of the thread before writing other
replies ...)

Works great - I probably would forget to use it most times - but I'll
try. (Usually what I screenshot is pretty much what I want to send off
somewhere or paste into something)

Snit

Oct 16, 2015, 5:34:30 PM10/16/15
On 10/16/15, 2:04 PM, in article
bp6dncwJPp36-7zL...@giganews.com, "Alan Browne"
Yes, I have gotten those as well. Largely from an elderly relative who gets
them from others... so just accept them.

Nice thing about OS X is QuickLook handles this well.

Jolly Roger

Oct 16, 2015, 6:10:09 PM10/16/15
I've used it just about as long. The UI is outdated, but it does a lot -
particularly regarding the support for many different formats. And it
costs money to keep it updated through the years.

On the other hand, Preview is free, comes pre-installed on all Macs, and
it doesn't have to be impressive to do something as simple as resize an
image. : )

Jolly Roger

Oct 16, 2015, 6:13:35 PM10/16/15
I use Control-Command-Shift-n to capture to the clipboard any time I
just want to paste a screen shot into a document. And the Preview "New
from Clipboard" command is the default "New Document" command; so
Control-Command-Shift-4, launch Preview, Command-N does the trick. I've
used that as well off an on through the years, but it didn't occur to me
when I initially answered.

Alan Browne

Oct 16, 2015, 6:29:04 PM10/16/15
I probably glossed over that in the past as I became familiar with OS X.
I typically (almost always) Shift-CMD-4 and it's popped into
downloads, and that's it. Good enough. So I never improved on the
matter. I like what you suggest even more (occasionally screenshot
stuff to message off to someone).

I thank Ant for bringing this up - never know what we'll learn from it!

Now, can I tell you about running with swap disabled .... <runs>

Jolly Roger

Oct 16, 2015, 6:48:00 PM10/16/15
: )

Alan Browne

Oct 16, 2015, 7:06:52 PM10/16/15
On 2015-10-16 16:41, Erilar wrote:

> Preview has never impressed me. . . But then, I've had GC since the early
> 90s 8-)

Preview has its strong and weak points - but as a quick looker it's
great, and the odd "tools" it has are often time savers.

(No idea what GC is/was).

Jolly Roger

Oct 16, 2015, 7:10:37 PM10/16/15
On 2015-10-16, Alan Browne <alan....@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
GraphicConverter - a shareware Mac image conversion utility that's been
around since the dark ages.

Alan Browne

Oct 16, 2015, 7:18:29 PM10/16/15
On 2015-10-16 19:10, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2015-10-16, Alan Browne <alan....@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>> On 2015-10-16 16:41, Erilar wrote:
>>
>>> Preview has never impressed me. . . But then, I've had GC since the early
>>> 90s 8-)
>>
>> Preview has its strong and weak points - but as a quick looker it's
>> great, and the odd "tools" it has are often time savers.
>>
>> (No idea what GC is/was).
>
> GraphicConverter - a shareware Mac image conversion utility that's been
> around since the dark ages.

Oh. Something like me still using LView in WinXP because it is
lightning fast when one wants to hunt through a lot of photos or watch a
straight or randomized slideshow with no fuss (I don't mean little fuss
- I mean no fuss). (Can also do some basic image edits but I don't use
it for that).

Jamie Kahn Genet

Oct 16, 2015, 8:06:22 PM10/16/15
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2015-10-16, Alan Browne <alan....@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
> > On 2015-10-16 16:41, Erilar wrote:
> >
> >> Preview has never impressed me. . . But then, I've had GC since the early
> >> 90s 8-)
> >
> > Preview has its strong and weak points - but as a quick looker it's
> > great, and the odd "tools" it has are often time savers.
> >
> > (No idea what GC is/was).
>
> GraphicConverter - a shareware Mac image conversion utility that's been
> around since the dark ages.

Dark ages of Mac popularity and development, perhaps, but I'll always
love System 6 and even System 7 with it's additional UI clutter :-)

Jamie Kahn Genet

Oct 16, 2015, 8:06:22 PM10/16/15
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2015-10-16, Erilar <dra...@notchibardun.net> wrote:
> > Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> Because Preview does the same thing for free?
> >
> > Preview has never impressed me. . . But then, I've had GC since the early
> > 90s 8-)
>
> I've used it just about as long. The UI is outdated, but it does a lot -
> particularly regarding the support for many different formats. And it
> costs money to keep it updated through the years.
>
> On the other hand, Preview is free, comes pre-installed on all Macs, and
> it doesn't have to be impressive to do something as simple as resize an
> image. : )

I find I can ignore almost all GC paid updates, unless there's some
feature I'm interested in. Even now I'm still running the old carbon v6,
as it does everything I need, no problems. I expect I'd still be
running... hey, what was the first OS X compatible version? I forget.
But I'd probably still be running it, had v6 not been the latest one
when I moved to OS X full time. Assuming OS X 10.6.8 or earlier hadn't
broken it :-)

Jolly Roger

Oct 16, 2015, 8:23:39 PM10/16/15
Jamie Kahn Genet <jam...@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:

> I find I can ignore almost all GC paid updates, unless there's some
> feature I'm interested in. Even now I'm still running the old carbon v6,
> as it does everything I need, no problems. I expect I'd still be
> running... hey, what was the first OS X compatible version? I forget.
> But I'd probably still be running it, had v6 not been the latest one
> when I moved to OS X full time. Assuming OS X 10.6.8 or earlier hadn't
> broken it :-)

I forget the last version I paid for; it's been many years. I'll have to
take a look sometime to see if it will run.

Jamie Kahn Genet

Oct 16, 2015, 10:36:34 PM10/16/15
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Jamie Kahn Genet <jam...@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:
> >
> > I find I can ignore almost all GC paid updates, unless there's some
> > feature I'm interested in. Even now I'm still running the old carbon v6,
> > as it does everything I need, no problems. I expect I'd still be
> > running... hey, what was the first OS X compatible version? I forget.
> > But I'd probably still be running it, had v6 not been the latest one
> > when I moved to OS X full time. Assuming OS X 10.6.8 or earlier hadn't
> > broken it :-)
>
> I forget the last version I paid for; it's been many years. I'll have to
> take a look sometime to see if it will run.

When did you stop bothering to reinstall GC? I couldn't live without it.
It just makes saving to certain file sizes and image resizing so easy.
Not to mention my occasional need to open and save as older or obscure
formats a few times a year.

John McWilliams

Oct 17, 2015, 2:17:12 AM10/17/15
My screenshots, almost always Cmd-Shift-4, gets saved into DropBox,
which provides a quick way to link to a photo. precisely 11:16:13 PM PST
on Friday, October 16, 2015.

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/z87329gpw6lp6yu/Screenshot%202015-10-16%2023.16.21.png?dl=0>

Alan Browne

Oct 17, 2015, 9:07:51 AM10/17/15
On 2015-10-17 02:17, John McWilliams wrote:

> My screenshots, almost always Cmd-Shift-4, gets saved into DropBox,
> which provides a quick way to link to a photo. precisely 11:16:13 PM PST
> on Friday, October 16, 2015.
>
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/z87329gpw6lp6yu/Screenshot%202015-10-16%2023.16.21.png?dl=0>

That's a good strategy if one shares most screenshots.

Mine are mainly for including in docs or sending to others via e-mail or
message. A lot of the later of late. And now I often dump screen shots
into Notes as well.

Jolly Roger

Oct 17, 2015, 10:21:13 AM10/17/15
Jamie Kahn Genet <jam...@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> Jamie Kahn Genet <jam...@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:
>>>
>>> I find I can ignore almost all GC paid updates, unless there's some
>>> feature I'm interested in. Even now I'm still running the old carbon v6,
>>> as it does everything I need, no problems. I expect I'd still be
>>> running... hey, what was the first OS X compatible version? I forget.
>>> But I'd probably still be running it, had v6 not been the latest one
>>> when I moved to OS X full time. Assuming OS X 10.6.8 or earlier hadn't
>>> broken it :-)
>>
>> I forget the last version I paid for; it's been many years. I'll have to
>> take a look sometime to see if it will run.
>
> When did you stop bothering to reinstall GC?

Also years ago. : D

> I couldn't live without it.
> It just makes saving to certain file sizes and image resizing so easy.
> Not to mention my occasional need to open and save as older or obscure
> formats a few times a year.

Apps like Pixelmatir, Affinity Photo, etc provide what I need sufficiently.

Jolly Roger

Oct 17, 2015, 10:29:37 AM10/17/15
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>> I couldn't live without it.
>> It just makes saving to certain file sizes and image resizing so easy.
>> Not to mention my occasional need to open and save as older or obscure
>> formats a few times a year.
>
> Apps like Pixelmatir, Affinity Photo, etc provide what I need sufficiently.

And Preview.

Jolly Roger

Oct 17, 2015, 12:10:01 PM10/17/15
I really just mane "ages ago", but I agree with the rest of what you
said anyway, and still run older systems myself. Say hi to Zippy:

<http://zippy.kicks-ass.org:9997> : )

Jolly Roger

Oct 17, 2015, 12:41:02 PM10/17/15
On 2015-10-17, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> Jamie Kahn Genet <jam...@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:
>> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> I forget the last version I paid for; it's been many years. I'll have to
>>> take a look sometime to see if it will run.
>>
>> When did you stop bothering to reinstall GC?
>
> Also years ago. : D

It looks like the latest version I have licensed is version 6.x. It
launches without issue on OS X 10.10. I haven't played with it much
beyond that though.

Jolly Roger

Oct 17, 2015, 12:47:33 PM10/17/15
On 2015-10-17, John McWilliams <jp...@comcast.net> wrote:

> My screenshots, almost always Cmd-Shift-4, gets saved into DropBox,
> which provides a quick way to link to a photo. precisely 11:16:13 PM PST
> on Friday, October 16, 2015.
>
><https://www.dropbox.com/s/z87329gpw6lp6yu/Screenshot%202015-10-16%2023.16.21.png?dl=0>

I just throw them up on my own web server to share them.

Jolly Roger

Oct 17, 2015, 5:55:38 PM10/17/15
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> I really just mane "ages ago"

*meant

Jamie Kahn Genet

Oct 17, 2015, 7:47:34 PM10/17/15
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2015-10-17, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> > Jamie Kahn Genet <jam...@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:

> >> When did you stop bothering to reinstall GC?
> >
> > Also years ago. : D
>
> It looks like the latest version I have licensed is version 6.x. It
> launches without issue on OS X 10.10. I haven't played with it much
> beyond that though.

Ah, same as me :-)

Ant

Oct 17, 2015, 7:58:21 PM10/17/15

> >> Interesting. What's the best way to collect screen shots in a document
> >> file to share with others (Windows and Mac users)? Basically, I screen
> >> capture into a document with texts for each image online. :)
> >
> > HTML via HTTP.

> That's probably going to be a lot more work for Ant.

> If you just want to collect images in a document, just use TextEdit.

Isn't that same as using Word?
--
Quote of the Week: "The eyeless ant asked God, 'Give me eye-lashes.'" --Georgian Proverb
| |o o| |
\ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
( ) ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.

Ant

Oct 17, 2015, 7:59:48 PM10/17/15
> >>Interesting. What's the best way to collect screen shots in a document
> >>file to share with others (Windows and Mac users)? Basically, I screen
> >>capture into a document with texts for each image online. :)
> >
> > If you just want to share them online, why do they need to be in a
> > document? Just use one of the many ways to upload and annotate images
> > on a web page.

> Yes. And if you are really lazy, you don't even need to bother with an
> HTML web page. You can simply toss the images into a directory on any
> Apache web server to have them automatically show up in a list:

> <http://jollyroger.kicks-ass.org/images/>

> (The standard list looks much more generic, but with some HTML/CSS you
> can customize the look of it as I did above.)

How about adding long texts for each image? I need that part.

Patty Winter

Oct 17, 2015, 8:15:02 PM10/17/15

In article <DbWdnUysTptufb_L...@earthlink.com>,
Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:

[attributions missing]

>> > If you just want to share them online, why do they need to be in a
>> > document? Just use one of the many ways to upload and annotate images
>> > on a web page.
>
>> Yes. And if you are really lazy, you don't even need to bother with an
>> HTML web page. You can simply toss the images into a directory on any
>> Apache web server to have them automatically show up in a list:
>
>> <http://jollyroger.kicks-ass.org/images/>
>
>> (The standard list looks much more generic, but with some HTML/CSS you
>> can customize the look of it as I did above.)
>
>How about adding long texts for each image? I need that part.

Then put the images on a web page as I suggested. Why do they need to be
in a document?

Patty

Erilar

Oct 17, 2015, 9:11:52 PM10/17/15
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2015-10-16, Erilar <dra...@notchibardun.net> wrote:
>> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> Because Preview does the same thing for free?
>>
>> Preview has never impressed me. . . But then, I've had GC since the early
>> 90s 8-)
>
> I've used it just about as long. The UI is outdated, but it does a lot -
> particularly regarding the support for many different formats. And it
> costs money to keep it updated through the years.
>
> On the other hand, Preview is free, comes pre-installed on all Macs, and
> it doesn't have to be impressive to do something as simple as resize an
> image. : )

I usually want to do more than resize 8-)

--
biblioholic medievalist via iPad

Erilar

Oct 17, 2015, 9:35:10 PM10/17/15
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2015-10-17, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> Jamie Kahn Genet <jam...@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:

>>> When did you stop bothering to reinstall GC?
>>
>> Also years ago. : D
>
> It looks like the latest version I have licensed is version 6.x. It
> launches without issue on OS X 10.10. I haven't played with it much
> beyond that though.

GC does things it didn't used to. I HAVE been updating it. Added a filter
package, too. It and iPhoto let me do most of what my normal fotos need,
since I'm forced to use Pages to make actual pages anyway. Just made a
couple and printed them. Finished product is all right for printing.

Your Name

Oct 17, 2015, 9:37:11 PM10/17/15
In article
<2101609414466778011.7394...@news.eternal-septembe
r.org>, Erilar <dra...@notchibardun.net> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> Preview has never impressed me. . . But then, I've had GC since the early
> >> 90s 8-)
> >
> > I've used it just about as long. The UI is outdated, but it does a lot -
> > particularly regarding the support for many different formats. And it
> > costs money to keep it updated through the years.
> >
> > On the other hand, Preview is free, comes pre-installed on all Macs, and
> > it doesn't have to be impressive to do something as simple as resize an
> > image. : )
>
> I usually want to do more than resize 8-)

GraphicConverter is good at what it's meant for (converting formats)
and the batch processing (if you register it) can be handy, but its
image editing functions are horribly kludgey and messy. I use ColorIt
under Classic to do any image editing / resizing / resolution changes
and then, if needed, GraphicConverter to change the format.

Jolly Roger

Oct 17, 2015, 11:10:13 PM10/17/15
Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:

>> If you just want to collect images in a document, just use TextEdit.
>
> Isn't that same as using Word?

No, because unlike Word, TextEdit doesn't reduce the quality of images
pasted into documents.

Jolly Roger

Oct 17, 2015, 11:10:14 PM10/17/15
Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:

>>> If you just want to share them online, why do they need to be in a
>>> document? Just use one of the many ways to upload and annotate images
>>> on a web page.
>
>> Yes. And if you are really lazy, you don't even need to bother with an
>> HTML web page. You can simply toss the images into a directory on any
>> Apache web server to have them automatically show up in a list:
>
>> <http://jollyroger.kicks-ass.org/images/>
>
>> (The standard list looks much more generic, but with some HTML/CSS you
>> can customize the look of it as I did above.)
>
> How about adding long texts for each image? I need that part.

Nope. That's the sort of thing a web page is for.

Jolly Roger

Oct 17, 2015, 11:10:15 PM10/17/15
Erilar <dra...@notchibardun.net> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> Preview has never impressed me. . . But then, I've had GC since the early
>>> 90s 8-)
>>
>> I've used it just about as long. The UI is outdated, but it does a lot -
>> particularly regarding the support for many different formats. And it
>> costs money to keep it updated through the years.
>>
>> On the other hand, Preview is free, comes pre-installed on all Macs, and
>> it doesn't have to be impressive to do something as simple as resize an
>> image. : )
>
> I usually want to do more than resize 8-)

I use other more modern apps like Pixelmator or Affinity Photo for that.

M-M

Oct 18, 2015, 3:42:58 AM10/18/15
In article
<1184870967466720726.7282...@news.eternal-septembe
r.org>, Erilar <dra...@notchibardun.net> wrote:

> Preview has never impressed me. . . But then, I've had GC since the early
> 90s 8-)

Me too- when the program came by snail mail on a floppy disk.

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com

Ant

Oct 19, 2015, 2:51:40 AM10/19/15
> >> If you just want to collect images in a document, just use TextEdit.
> >
> > Isn't that same as using Word?

> No, because unlike Word, TextEdit doesn't reduce the quality of images
> pasted into documents.

Interesting. I assume Word kept the quality since its file sizes were
huge and slow (scrolling). I know Word has a compress option when
saving, but that loses quality.
--
Quote of the Week: "Now I have you where I want you... where is my jar of Bull ants?" --unknown

Jolly Roger

Oct 19, 2015, 12:27:41 PM10/19/15
Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:

>>> Isn't that same as using Word?
>
>> No, because unlike Word, TextEdit doesn't reduce the quality of images
>> pasted into documents.
>
> Interesting. I assume Word kept the quality since its file sizes were
> huge and slow (scrolling). I know Word has a compress option when
> saving, but that loses quality.

Doesn't really matter when it happens. Don't use Word for this purpose.

Ant

Oct 19, 2015, 6:10:32 PM10/19/15

> >> No, because unlike Word, TextEdit doesn't reduce the quality of images
> >> pasted into documents.
> >
> > Interesting. I assume Word kept the quality since its file sizes were
> > huge and slow (scrolling). I know Word has a compress option when
> > saving, but that loses quality.

> Doesn't really matter when it happens. Don't use Word for this purpose.

OK, I tried the updated Mac OS X v10.10.5's TextEdit v1.10 (319). I
screen captured, copied, and pasted into a new Rich Text document.
Everything was fast and smooth in terms of scrolling. :)

However, my save options were limited with "Rich Text Document with
Attachments" and "Web Archive Document" file formats. However, Word Mac
2011 and Windows Word (2010) can't read them (e.g., *.rtfd) even on
Macs. Am I missing something? :/

Thank you in advance. :)

Jolly Roger

Oct 19, 2015, 6:18:12 PM10/19/15
On 2015-10-19, Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:

>> > Interesting. I assume Word kept the quality since its file sizes were
>> > huge and slow (scrolling). I know Word has a compress option when
>> > saving, but that loses quality.
>
>> Doesn't really matter when it happens. Don't use Word for this purpose.
>
> OK, I tried the updated Mac OS X v10.10.5's TextEdit v1.10 (319). I
> screen captured, copied, and pasted into a new Rich Text document.
> Everything was fast and smooth in terms of scrolling. :)
>
> However, my save options were limited with "Rich Text Document with
> Attachments" and "Web Archive Document" file formats. However, Word Mac
> 2011 and Windows Word (2010) can't read them (e.g., *.rtfd) even on
> Macs. Am I missing something? :/
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

Nope. If you want it to be portable to any platform, print/export it to
PDF, or better yet put it on a web page.

Patty Winter

Oct 19, 2015, 7:45:01 PM10/19/15

In article <g46dna6BsI3K97jL...@earthlink.com>,
Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:

[unneeded quotage deleted]

>OK, I tried the updated Mac OS X v10.10.5's TextEdit v1.10 (319). I
>screen captured, copied, and pasted into a new Rich Text document.
>Everything was fast and smooth in terms of scrolling. :)
>
>However, my save options were limited with "Rich Text Document with
>Attachments" and "Web Archive Document" file formats. However, Word Mac
>2011 and Windows Word (2010) can't read them (e.g., *.rtfd) even on
>Macs. Am I missing something? :/

One big thing you're missing is an answer to the question that's been
asked multiple times (not just by me) about what exactly you're trying
to accomplish. We can't help you find the easiest and most efficient
way of accomplishing it until you tell us who the audience is for your
photos (people who have Word but not web access? people who need a
printable document? etc.), and other details about this project.

Patty

Ant

Oct 20, 2015, 5:55:16 PM10/20/15

> >> Doesn't really matter when it happens. Don't use Word for this purpose.
> >
> > OK, I tried the updated Mac OS X v10.10.5's TextEdit v1.10 (319). I
> > screen captured, copied, and pasted into a new Rich Text document.
> > Everything was fast and smooth in terms of scrolling. :)
> >
> > However, my save options were limited with "Rich Text Document with
> > Attachments" and "Web Archive Document" file formats. However, Word Mac
> > 2011 and Windows Word (2010) can't read them (e.g., *.rtfd) even on
> > Macs. Am I missing something? :/
> >
> > Thank you in advance. :)

> Nope. If you want it to be portable to any platform, print/export it to
> PDF, or better yet put it on a web page.

Bummer (yes, it needs to be portable on all platforms including edits)
and thanks. :(

Ant

Oct 20, 2015, 5:57:13 PM10/20/15
> One big thing you're missing is an answer to the question that's been
> asked multiple times (not just by me) about what exactly you're trying
> to accomplish. We can't help you find the easiest and most efficient
> way of accomplishing it until you tell us who the audience is for your
> photos (people who have Word but not web access? people who need a
> printable document? etc.), and other details about this project.

I thought I did mention this in one of my replies earlier in this
thread. Anyways, I need to screen capture projects' softwares in Mac OS
X to collect and add to documents to share with others (Windows, Mac OS
X, etc.) within the company.