Unreal engine problem

agent cake

May 22, 2003, 12:50:10 PM5/22/03
having a problem with the unreal engine, please read for all the info. Any
advice or help is welcome.

>> I have a G4 400 sawtooth, 1.2 ghz RAM and running OS 9.2.2. I am running
>> Unreal Tournament 436 and Harry Potter sorcerers stone, also the Unreal
>> engine. I have a problem with the mouse, an MS intellipoint optical. This
>> just started yesterday. Less then a minute into either game, the mouse no
>> longer functions. Keyboard functions just fine, but I can't turn the
>> character to aim in URT and poor Harry can't cast spells. I triple zapped
>> the PRAM and rebuilt the desktop, upped the memory on both to about a half
>> gig and still this is happening. Anyone have any ideas? TIA
>>
>> yc
>>
> Never mind. I think I have it solved. I trashed the mouse and intellipoint
> prefs and restarted. Looks OK. Anyway, nice NG. I will be following some of
> the links for updates and such.
>
> yc

OK. What is going on? I keep having this problem. Uninstalled both games,
installed a saved UR from February, way before I had harry potter installed.
That worked OK. The kids wanted to play harry potter, so I reinstalled that.
Still no problems. When they got to the part where Harry has to fight
Peeves, the game lost the mouse again. Uninstalled HP and UR again. DLed
the HP update. DLed the mouse update. Applied the mouse update, rebooted,
installed HP again, ran the update. Installed UR again. UR works fine. Kids
played HP. Again, when they got to Peeves the mouse went out in both games.

More info. URT is installed from the disk, v.436 comes up on the start
screen. I have not tinkered with the game to add any functionality. I
haven't played online. Help!

Any help on this would be most appreciated. Links, other NGs, anything! I
need my URT time and the kids need HP...

MORE

in article 3ECAA623...@gmx.net, somebody named Hep at
hepha...@gmx.net scrawled in red magic marker 5/20/03 3:03 PM:

> Try to narrow down the thing that's changing in your system when
> fighting Peeves in HP: if "trashing the mouse and intellipoint prefs"
> reproducibly reverts to a good state, make a copy of that prefs before
> trashing them, fight peeves and compare with the now corrupted state
> (a diff-style program helps a lot here). Does the result give away any
> clues?
>
> Hep

Tried that, didn't work. Totally wiped both games, trashed the prefs,
reinstalled a fresh UT, reloaded the original mouse SW, intellimouse 3.1, as
the unreal site said the 3.2 can cause problems.. NO harry potter.
Mouse now goes out in UT. This is frustrating as hell. I am to the point of
doing a backup and doing a fresh install of the whole OS and then installing
UT and seeing what that does. I have found no references to this problem in
NGs or online. Is there a possibility I have been hacked? Or the mouse is
going out? It seems odd it would only do it in the Unreal engine, but I
don't know. Probably going to get Norton System works and run all that
tomorrow or the next day. Jeez, ain't computers fun? Another learning
experience, if I ever figure this out!

yc

PS, not a programmer, but willing to try anything at this point.
--
MS reliability...
A mistake covering hundreds of their primary web servers? Or the mistake