Altivec games

Dean Siren

Jul 26, 2001, 12:28:53 AM7/26/01
Did Graeme Devine ever finish the Altivec patch for Q3A? If so, how much does
it improve performance. If not, how much does he predict it will? Also, what
other games will use Altivec, and in what ways?

strobe anarkhos

Aug 19, 2001, 5:16:18 AM8/19/01

I believe Giants will be G4 optimized, and ID's mac programmer (gramine?) is working on DOOM3 so his work will probably be merged then.

G4 optimization has always been a game of having to justify optimization for a processor which is already faster than any G3, and thus game companies haven't had any incentive to do it (regardless how easy it may be). Giants is a G4-only game and thus it isn't surprising it's G4 optimized.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more G4 optimized games which 'support' the G3 as a minimum requirement, but 'suggest' a G4.