WAnted: Which gamepad??

Richard Covert

Jul 29, 2002, 5:03:32 PM7/29/02
I need to buy an usb gamepad for my powerbook. i want to play games
such as Carmeggeddon 2, Starcraft/Warcraft, etc. I am not interested in
flight simulators.

any ideas??

Ingmar Wenz

Jul 29, 2002, 5:36:54 PM7/29/02
Am 29.07.2002 23:03 Uhr schrieb "Richard Covert" unter
<richard...@insightbb.com> in
290720021603323404%richard...@insightbb.com:

> I need to buy an usb gamepad for my powerbook. i want to play games
> such as Carmeggeddon 2, Starcraft/Warcraft, etc. I am not interested in
> flight simulators.

I don't think you will want a gamepad for Starcraft or Warcraft. But anyway,
the best gamepad on the planet is, in my opinion, the new Thrustmaster
Firestorm Wireless Gamepad. It is wireless, is very ergonomic and is in
general very comfortable. Pricing is 40€ is Germany.

Ingmar

Eric

Jul 30, 2002, 9:23:45 AM7/30/02
In article <B96B8216.81F0%ing...@ingmarwenz.de>,
Ingmar Wenz <ing...@ingmarwenz.de> wrote:

> Am 29.07.2002 23:03 Uhr schrieb "Richard Covert" unter
> <richard...@insightbb.com> in
> 290720021603323404%richard...@insightbb.com:
>
> > I need to buy an usb gamepad for my powerbook. i want to play games
> > such as Carmeggeddon 2, Starcraft/Warcraft, etc. I am not interested in
> > flight simulators.
>
> I don't think you will want a gamepad for Starcraft or Warcraft.

I agree. and as for Carmeggeddon. you really ought to use a steering
wheel and pedals

> But anyway,
> the best gamepad on the planet is, in my opinion, the new Thrustmaster
> Firestorm Wireless Gamepad. It is wireless, is very ergonomic and is in
> general very comfortable. Pricing is 40€ is Germany.
>
> Ingmar

Blech. it's just another Playstation controller clone. I notice that as
the years go by. PC(And Mac;-) gamepad design just seems to mirror the
most popular console's controller instead of making original designs. a
very original(And superb) gamepad is the Saitek Cyborg 3D Pad.

As opposed to the Playstation's pad. which is basically an SNES pad with
two extra shoulder buttons. and later tacked-on analog sticks in
unreachable positions. the Cyborg 3D Pad has it's buttons(All 8 of them)
circled in easy reach around the digital pad and analog stick in
addition to the usual 4 shoulder buttons(With the lower two in pistol
trigger positions). the analog stick is to the immediate right of the
digital pad. right where the buttons are on a console pad. the digital
pad also has a analog rotary ring around it. giving you yet another
control.

Unfortunately. the Saitek Cyborg 3D Pad was discontinued by Saitek some
time ago. so it can be hard to find nowadays. here's a german site that
has it:

"cd-rom.de - die CD-ROM Seiten"(Don't be dissuaded by DVD stuff. wait
until it stops loading)
<http://www.cd-rom.de/home.htm?/k/210/210092.shtml>

And here's a quick look at the Cyborg 3D Pad along with a picture.

"Saitek Cyborg 3D Pad"
<http://www.gamesdomain.co.uk/n64/previews/Cyborg_3D_Pad.html>

Eric,