PCI video cards?

Zaren Ankleweed

Oct 11, 2002, 10:01:39 AM10/11/02
So my gaming needs are expanding, and my video card just isn't keeping up
anymore. I'm looking around for a PCI video card that I can put in my beige
G3/233 w/ a G4/400 upgrade, and I can't find much. I already have a Radeon
Mac edition that just isn't doing the job anymore. I see that they make a
Radeon 7000 w/ 64 meg of video... 32 meg if you want to pay $40 more for the
mac version of the card :p

I've seen articles about flashing "PC" GeForce cards to work with a Mac, but
all those articles talk about AGP cards, and I can't use those. Does anyone
reading this have any experience with flashing PCI GeForce or Radeon cards
to work on a Mac, or can you recommend any other makers of cards (if there
are any)?

--
"It's the information age -- +------------------------------------+
everything gets saved |UCE/UBE not welcome at this address |

Howard S Shubs

Oct 11, 2002, 10:02:46 PM10/11/02
In article
<holdthis-463BD8...@visonmassif.rs.itd.umich.edu>,
Zaren Ankleweed <hold...@umich.edu> wrote:

> So my gaming needs are expanding, and my video card just isn't keeping up
> anymore. I'm looking around for a PCI video card that I can put in my beige
> G3/233 w/ a G4/400 upgrade, and I can't find much. I already have a Radeon
> Mac edition that just isn't doing the job anymore. I see that they make a
> Radeon 7000 w/ 64 meg of video... 32 meg if you want to pay $40 more for the
> mac version of the card :p

At some point, you've just got to understand that the "beige" won't get
any better. There are real limits which can't be ignored. Sounds like
you've reached them. Time to replace it.

--
Today, on Paper-view: The World Origami Championship

Rafael Hinojosa

Oct 14, 2002, 10:07:06 AM10/14/02
I too am looking into upgrading the video card on my Beige G3. I've
pretty much come to the realization it won't get any faster, but since
I'm not concerned about 3D performance it takes care of web browsing and
e-mail just fine.

I have a G3/266 w/ a G3/500 MHz upgrade (they didn't have the G4/400 in
stock, and I wasn't about to spend an extra $200 for a G4/500). Maxed
its RAM @ 768 MB.

My PCI slots are also filled to capacity with a Sonnet Trio (USB 2.0,
Firewire, ATA/133), a 10/100 NIC, and my current video card (16 MB ATI,
I forget which model exactly).

The machine functions okay, at best. My only concern is that I have a
dual monitor setup, 2 x 17" AppleVision 1710 monitors. One of them is
connected to the ATI PCI video card, the other to the built in video
(upgraded to 6 MB or VRAM). I'm assuming that upgrading would help
resolve some of the choppyness.

Here are some questions that I've come up with in regards to my upgrade.
Do I have to use the Mac Edition of the ATI Radeon 7000? I'm
assuming that the answer is yes, I think Mac Edition means that it has
support for Open Firmware (needed for most Mac video cards). I'm
running Mac OS X 10.2.2 (what ever the latest release is).

I'm planning on taking advantage of the TwinView technology and use that
card to drive both of my monitors. How is the memory allocation used
for 2 monitors? Do they each get half, or is it all one big pool of
VRAM? I should check and see if ATI has any whitepapers on the subject.

Thanks,

--Raf

Phil Lefebvre

Oct 14, 2002, 6:42:14 PM10/14/02
In article <3DAACF8A...@haverford.edu>,
Rafael Hinojosa <rhin...@haverford.edu> wrote:

> Do I have to use the Mac Edition of the ATI Radeon 7000?

Yes. While some PC cards are flashable, I don't think the 7000 is.

> I'm planning on taking advantage of the TwinView technology and use that
> card to drive both of my monitors. How is the memory allocation used
> for 2 monitors? Do they each get half, or is it all one big pool of
> VRAM? I should check and see if ATI has any whitepapers on the subject.

It is split in half.

Also, look around for reports of problems running 2 CRTs on the 7000. It
was a problem for awhile on Beige G3s, though it has probably been
fixed. xlr8yourmac.com has some reports.

--
Phil Lefebvre
Chicago, IL

Paul Nevai

Oct 15, 2002, 4:40:08 AM10/15/02
:> Do I have to use the Mac Edition of the ATI Radeon 7000?
:>
:> I'm planning on taking advantage of the TwinView technology and use that
:> card to drive both of my monitors. How is the memory allocation used
:> for 2 monitors? Do they each get half, or is it all one big pool of
:> VRAM? I should check and see if ATI has any whitepapers on the subject.

WARNING!!! The DVI port does NOT support older Mac monitors! I have two 21"
ColorSyncs but I could hook up only 1 to the above card.

There is a FAQ about this as ATI BUT tech ssupport doesn't have a clue.
Don't count on tech support. /Paul