Epyx's Rogue & other hackish games

Geoff Peters

Dec 3, 1992, 11:55:07 AM12/3/92
Original to: Leslie.G...@dartmouth.edu
Lu> I was very addicted to this game back in, I guess, 1985 on my 512K Mac
Lu> running System 3.2. It's copy protected and startup booting. Anyone
Lu> know of a way to get it to run on a Q700 under 7.1? Or am I fooling
Lu> myself? I know there exist ports of Moria and Hack, but this had a
Lu> nice Mac interface and I miss playing it.

You & me both, Leslie!

I can only get it working on my Mac Plus (4Mb, sys6.0.7) by booting my
original floppy, or by running System 4.1 or earlier (which doesn't leave
much, does it?)

Looks like it might be time to switch to NetHack -- sure, the i/face isn't
as maccish as Epyx Rogue, but it's playable.

I heard on here some months back that someone had done a _serious_ Mac port
of Hack, but I've never been able to find a copy. Anyone know any more on
this?

Geoff
(no .sigs on me!)

--- MacWoof Eval:01Dec92
* Origin: Deadly Bloody Serious (3:800/828.99)

Christopher Davis

Dec 8, 1992, 6:13:06 PM12/8/92
GP> == Geoff Peters <geoff....@p99.f828.n800.z3.fido.zeta.org.au>

GP> Looks like it might be time to switch to NetHack -- sure, the
GP> i/face isn't as maccish as Epyx Rogue, but it's playable.

GP> I heard on here some months back that someone had done a _serious_
GP> Mac port of Hack, but I've never been able to find a copy. Anyone
GP> know any more on this?

Mission: Thunderbolt really is just a souped-up rogue/hack/nethack type
game with amazing graphics and sounds. Get it, get it, get it, you'll
be glad you did. (And, yes, hjkl move you if you want them to! :)
--
Christopher K. Davis | ``Usenet seems to run much like the Kif (or,
<c...@eff.org> EFF #14 | for the TV generation, Klingon) high command.

SQUIRE JOEL NATHAN

Dec 8, 1992, 8:26:03 PM12/8/92
If you're looking for Rogue-type action, try Purple-X Moria. It's colorized, runs smoothly and has the mac interface down pat. I believe it's still on umich. Three thumbs up!

Jon Wtte

Dec 9, 1992, 4:36:38 AM12/9/92

>I heard on here some months back that someone had done a _serious_ Mac port
>of Hack, but I've never been able to find a copy. Anyone know any more on
>this?

If you4re talking NetHack, the current version is 3.0.10pl3
and should (still) be available from normal locations. It has
a so-and-so Mac interface (but is quite playable)

We4re currently working on a Mac NetHack 3.1 release as part
of the mainline NetHack 3.1 release (no date specified) and
it will have a more mac-ish interface (you can move and scroll
various windows around, for instance... no further comments on
not released functionality :-) but still no icons.

If you want real monsters in NetHack, well, mail
nethac...@linc.cis.upenn.edu and offer your drawing and/or
programming skills... or wait and keep quiet :-)

Cheers,

/ h+

--
-- Jon W{tte, h...@nada.kth.se, Mac Hacker Deluxe --
This signature is kept shorter than 4 lines in the interests of UseNet

john j z

Dec 9, 1992, 4:07:44 PM12/9/92
IT IS A JOKE. How could they miss Hellcats?????????
While giving Red Baron 4 mice!!!! Red Baron this ............. which
can't be even played on Quadra 950. I wonder how much did it cost Sierra
to get RB so high up.
Also I wonder who evaluates these games (perhaps a PC users on their
IBMs, or AMIGA users on their Amigas).With all the respect to the above
trademarks.