Games lost forever because of OS changes

William K. Gibson

Sep 7, 2001, 9:03:11 AM9/7/01

I was reflecting recently on how sad it is that some old Mac games will
never work again because of the OS changes over the years.

For example, anyone remember Spaceship Warlock. Well, the sound does not
work on new systems (because they cheated for the sake of speed) and there
is no patch in internet land that can fix it.

Another great one was Pirates. I would love to play this game again, but it
would be such an effort to buy a mac+, retrofit the proper OS, and find the
game again (which I lost from not propagating it to my new systems).

And let's not forget the favorite: Ancient Art of War.

I wonder if there is any way to make these games work under emulation? Or if
somehow the original manufacturers could be persuaded to release the code
under open source so they could be fixed and updated?

Has anyone tackled these issues before?

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firs...@columbus.rr.com

Remy

Sep 7, 2001, 9:44:24 AM9/7/01
In article <B7BE3DD1.199DD%firs...@columbus.rr.com>,

"William K. Gibson" <firs...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> I wonder if there is any way to make these games work under emulation? Or if
> somehow the original manufacturers could be persuaded to release the code
> under open source so they could be fixed and updated?

Emulation is really the way to go. Richard Bannister's vMac, a Mac Plus
emulator, is described as follows:

"So why would you want to emulate a Mac on a Mac? The answer is simple.
Try running all those old classics, like Dark Castle, Beyond Dark
Castle, the Fools Errand, and so on, on a Mac without a 9-inch monitor.
They don't work. vMac, however, enables them all to work perfectly. The
first ever emulator for the Macintosh - ][ in a Mac - which does nothing
useful when run on a G3 - works perfectly in vMac. vMac also supports
full sound emulation."

It's full carbonized, and it's open source should you want to make
changes yourself.

http://www.bannister.org/software/vmac.htm

HTH.

-remy
--
Remy, News Editor @ Utterer.com
http://www.utterer.com/

BK

Sep 7, 2001, 9:59:47 AM9/7/01
In article <B7BE3DD1.199DD%firs...@columbus.rr.com>, William K.
Gibson <firs...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

I am not a computer games person (although I enjoy the occasional
GnuChess match under OSX) but this seems to be another reason why an OS
shell based approach like Mac-On-Linux is preferable over the
seamlessly integrated approach Apple have chosen with the classic
environment.

As the example of Mac-On-Linux shows, it is possible to execute any
number of Finder instances under a Unix system such as in this case
Linux PPC but also in principle under OSX.

You could then keep any number of previous versions and run an instance
of MacOS 7.5 for one game, an instcance of MacOS 8.1 for another etc.

Mac-On-Linux is said to perform at about 90% of what it would be if not
surrounded by its Linux host system, which seems perfectly
satisfactory.

I hope that eventually Apple will get rid of the classic environment
and change towards an OS shell system like Mac-On-Linux, or that the
Mac-On-Linux open source project might port to Darwin or OSX.

It wouldn't even have to run under Aqua. X Windows would be fine.

rgds
BK

Carl Spackler

Sep 7, 2001, 4:46:26 PM9/7/01
In article <B7BE3DD1.199DD%firs...@columbus.rr.com>,
"William K. Gibson" <firs...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

Man, I'll miss Wolf 3D. Sure wish they would redo that game.

Carl

Chris Kelly

Sep 7, 2001, 7:53:21 PM9/7/01
I got an emulator for old systems, and with an old rom file I am running
system 1, system 6, system 7, and 8.1 on my Powerbook G4 inside of 9.2. Its
great stuff. Mounts disk image files as disks. So I can play just about
everything.

-CK

Eric Falk

Sep 7, 2001, 8:54:39 PM9/7/01
In article <B7BE3DD1.199DD%firs...@columbus.rr.com>,
"William K. Gibson" <firs...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

Don't forget Dark Caslte, load runner, stunt copper (2.0 works on newer
systems actully), glider.

And lets not think to old, Fallout, Oni and Imperailism don't work
either.

--
Eric Falk, eric...@home.com.NOSPAM (take the nospam out)
http://www.falkaholic.net

Christopher K Davis

Sep 7, 2001, 9:33:34 PM9/7/01
Chris Kelly <gtg...@acme.gatech.edu> writes:

Which emulator is this? vMac, the only one I'm familiar with, tops out
at System 7 since the Mac Plus wouldn't run anything newer.

--
Christopher Davis * <ckd...@ckdhr.com> * <URL:http://www.ckdhr.com/ckd/>
Put location information in your DNS! <URL:http://www.ckdhr.com/dns-loc/>

Chris Kelly

Sep 7, 2001, 10:54:30 PM9/7/01
> Which emulator is this? vMac, the only one I'm familiar with, tops out
> at System 7 since the Mac Plus wouldn't run anything newer.

Vmac is the one im using for the old stuff, and the one for newer stuff I
got rid off because after a week or so I realized that I didnšt use it at
all. Try going to <http://www.google.com> and searcing for mac emulators.
That's what I did to get it. Also, the stuff beyond system 7 requires
bigger disks and just more space for everything where old stuff can run with
floppy disk images.

-Chris

Christopher K Davis

Sep 8, 2001, 9:07:43 AM9/8/01
Chris Kelly <gtg...@acme.gatech.edu> writes:

You wouldn't happen to remember the name of it or anything, though,
would you? I have some games that played well on my IIci I'd like to
resurrect, but that won't run (as well or at all) on the emulated Plus.

I don't really want to run Basilisk II under Virtual PC; that seems just
a tad bit silly (and probably slow). I wonder if it'll be ported over
to Mac OS X at some point? (It runs on Unix, afer all....)

<http://www.emulation.net/> only lists vMac for Mac-on-Mac emulation.

Loren Finkelstein

Sep 9, 2001, 1:23:05 PM9/9/01
The Fool's Errand

and

3 in Three

John Lahmy

Sep 23, 2001, 3:42:31 AM9/23/01
It is not lost, you can still make it work. Have a look at
http://purl.oclc.org/net/aaow

Cheers.

Koyaanisqatsi

Sep 26, 2001, 11:34:21 AM9/26/01
Eric Falk wrote:

>Don't forget Dark Caslte, load runner, stunt copper (2.0 works on newer
>systems actully), glider.

I've heard the original Mac version of Lode Runner works if you have a floppy
available, since it asks for the original floppy when you run it, and you still
have the original floppy, which I have but is no longer readable.

I haven't found a broken version. :-(

T o m Dillon

Steve Linberg

Sep 26, 2001, 12:02:42 PM9/26/01
In article <3BB1F575...@SPdatacraft-incAM.com>,
Koyaanisqatsi <Ndil...@SPdatacraft-incAM.com> wrote:

I have the original Lode Runner from 1985. It doesn't prompt for an
original disk. Amazingly, the game works completely perfectly except
there's no sound. That was a real feat of programming on the part of
the original authors.

I also have my original Rogue disk, from Epyx, one of the greatest games
ever - also from 1985. It won't run reliably on anything with more than
1mb RAM - I think there are addressing errors that caused writes to fall
harmlessly into ROM on older machines, but cause fatal errors on newer
ones. When my battered original floppy finally wears out, it will be
lost... I have only managed to make one working copy, after a whole
afternoon with different versions of Copy II Mac and trying every
permutation I could think of.

Hound of Cullen

Sep 26, 2001, 1:44:04 PM9/26/01
Steve Linberg <slin...@crocker.com> wrote in <slinberg-
BA65E2.120...@corp.supernews.com>:

> I have the original Lode Runner from 1985. It doesn't prompt for an
> original disk. Amazingly, the game works completely perfectly except
> there's no sound. That was a real feat of programming on the part of
> the original authors.

Apple changed the sound code pretty significantly at some point (7.5? 8.0?
somewhere around there). Which broke sound on a lot of games. I remember
Hellcats Over the Pacific releasing a patch to fix the sound problem, for
example.

Surprisingly, the patched version of Pirates! runs on a modern Mac.
There's no sound and, since it was never a multifinder-happy game, if you
put it in the background you'll have screen-redraw issues, but it runs.

System 7 broke Pirates! because MicroProse used some asinine disk-based
copy protection (in *addition* to the "find the right answer in the manual"
copy protection, sheesh!). MicroProse did release a patch, but this was
before the 'Net took off, so finding it was tricky, short of writing to
MicroProse tech support.

Hound

Wesley Benn

Sep 26, 2001, 11:00:43 PM9/26/01
If they have, let me know!! - I just got a hold of an SE30 so I could reload
AAW, but haven't gotten to it yet - figure need to use sys6 or so. Any
copies of AAW at Sea floating around? I have heard of an emulator for early
systems somewhere or other, but haven't been able to track it down.

Cheers,
Wesley

Wesley Benn

Sep 27, 2001, 1:56:09 AM9/27/01
Okay, I have downloaded vMac - now for the ROM.

I have an SE30 - can I use the ROM from that? Does somebody have a copy they
can send me? This is NOT familiar territory for me!!

I would LOVE to play Ancient Art of War again!

Cheers,
Wesley

Steve George

Sep 27, 2001, 11:31:16 PM9/27/01
In article <slinberg-BA65E2...@corp.supernews.com>, Steve
Linberg <slin...@crocker.com> wrote:

>I have the original Lode Runner from 1985. It doesn't prompt for an
>original disk. Amazingly, the game works completely perfectly except
>there's no sound. That was a real feat of programming on the part of
>the original authors.

I liked Continuum, from the late 80's. It's exactly the same, everything
runs fine, but there is no sound.

Apple TS said it *was* an "error" -- but no one ever fixed it..(!)

Matthew Russotto

Sep 28, 2001, 11:37:37 AM9/28/01
In article <nobody-25AF06....@nyctyp02.rdc-nyc.rr.com>,
Perfidious Albion <nob...@home.com> wrote:

>I have a game called Shufflepuckcafe, I dont know how old it is (80's?),
>it predates ppc 'cos I remember the game loosing its sound when I
>"upgraded" to a PB5300, anyways it still runs ok under Classic w/ OSX.

I have a patch to Shufflepuck (though you have to start with the
cracked version; actually, I doubt the uncracked version works anymore
since it relies on segment loader patches) which restores the sound,
but the game seems basically unplayable due to the speed.

--
Matthew T. Russotto russ...@pond.com
=====

Bruce

Oct 11, 2001, 8:13:15 AM10/11/01
Steve Linberg <slin...@crocker.com> wrote in message news:<slinberg-BA65E2...@corp.supernews.com>...

> In article <3BB1F575...@SPdatacraft-incAM.com>,
> Koyaanisqatsi <Ndil...@SPdatacraft-incAM.com> wrote:
>

> I also have my original Rogue disk, from Epyx, one of the greatest games
> ever - also from 1985. It won't run reliably on anything with more than
> 1mb RAM - I think there are addressing errors that caused writes to fall
> harmlessly into ROM on older machines, but cause fatal errors on newer
> ones.

Wow! I remember when I installed extra memory on my Fat Mac. 1 MB!
I opened the case, carefully installed the extra card.

I thought, 1 MEGABYTE of Ram... what the heck am I going to do with
all that!

How times have changed, I'm now at 384 MB in my iMac and I'm still
thinking of getting more.

Bruce

PS: Favorite memories of games: Pirates!, Dark Castle, and of course
Strategic Conquest (which might still work, but I've lost the SW).

Jason E. Schaff

Oct 11, 2001, 5:20:44 PM10/11/01
Bruce wrote: [in part]

> PS: Favorite memories of games: Pirates!, Dark Castle, and of course
> Strategic Conquest (which might still work, but I've lost the SW).

Strategic Conquest Plus still works on my machine (G4, system 9.0.4).

Jason
Jason E. Schaff

jason...@home.com

Remember always to laugh, for
such is the true sound of humanity.
-- unknown

Tim Colby

Dec 14, 2001, 12:03:45 AM12/14/01
to Jason E. Schaff
Check this link for info on NetHack, alot like Rogue:
<http://www.nethack.org/>
leading to:
<http://www.nethack.org/v331/info.html#macosx>

What is fun about hack is getting in and out of
those stores with all that booty, who cares about the
amulet?

MacOS X Information

Q: Will NetHack ever be officially supported for MacOS X?
A: Yes, we intend to support MacOS X in the next version. Several
users have already compiled 3.3.1. You can obtain unofficial binaries
from either of the following sites:
http://www.baylor.edu/~Carl_Bell/stuff.html#NetHack
http://homepage.mac.com/abwilliams/FileSharing.html Q: Will NetHack
continue to be supported for Classic MacOS?
A: Yes.

Kerry & David Folland

Dec 16, 2001, 6:29:15 PM12/16/01
in article 3C198831...@mailbag.com, Tim Colby at col...@mailbag.com
wrote on 14/12/01 3:33 PM:

> Check this link for info on NetHack, alot like Rogue:
> <http://www.nethack.org/>
> leading to:
> <http://www.nethack.org/v331/info.html#macosx>
>
> What is fun about hack is getting in and out of
> those stores with all that booty, who cares about the
> amulet?

> MacOS X Information
>
> Q: Will NetHack ever be officially supported for MacOS X?
> A: Yes, we intend to support MacOS X in the next version. Several
> users have already compiled 3.3.1. You can obtain unofficial binaries
> from either of the following sites:
> http://www.baylor.edu/~Carl_Bell/stuff.html#NetHack
> http://homepage.mac.com/abwilliams/FileSharing.html Q: Will NetHack
> continue to be supported for Classic MacOS?
> A: Yes.

Or Angband available for every OS in the world or so it seams. Including
7.5.5, 9.2 and X.
http://thangorodrim.angband.org/