Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures (FRUA) FAQ

John Kochmar

May 21, 1993, 5:25:39 PM5/21/93

FAQ for Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures

Last Edited: 5/21/93

Note: Items with new or corrected information are denoted with an "*"
in front of the subject.

0) What is UA, and why does this list exist?
1) Is there a list of events?
2) How do events and event chains work?
3) What are quest items, keys, and special items for?
4) How can I create an NPC?
5) What drawing programs can I use with UA?
6) What games are available for UA?
7) What UA developers can I communicate with?
8) Can I differentiate between combats the party has won and combats they
ran away from?
9) What cursed items exist?
10) Can I create my own items?
11) How can I make secret doors, 1 way doors, and simulate collapsing
walls?
12) The combat icons .PCX template is misaligned, is there a way to fix it?
13) What additional art is available?
14) What are in the mage and cleric scrolls listed in the scroll item list?
15) What happens if I copy a simple monster into an NPC slot?
16) What happens if I try and look at the spells a dead mage has?
17) Can I create a mage NPC?
18) Can I make stairs/teleporters reference an entry point rather than
a specific grid point?
19) Can I make the starting point anything other than entry point 1?
20) Is there a true "random encounter" in the game?
21) I'm having problems in test mode, are there things that don't work
right in test mode that work ok when playing the game?
22) Can you import new sounds into the game?
23) How can I implement an armory?
24) Can I add new pictures without replacing old ones?
25) How can I go about capturing art for UA?
26) Why can't I make self standing adventures?
27) When working with art, can I change the color palette?
28) When I import art into one design and then switch to a different one,
the imported art shows up in the other design. Does the art import
into all designs?
29) Can I move a party from adventure to adventure?
30) How do I keep a party from using the overhead view in a module?
31) When I try and create a party for a module I picked up, it keep asking
for a save disk. What is going on?
32) My NPC runs from combat. What's going on?

Misc: Kudos to the following UA developers for providing information
for most of the answers below. This FAQ would not be as full if
not for them:

Mason Reed (jmr...@tamaix.tamu.edu)
Chet Tidwell (tid...@susan.cs.andrews.edu)
John Sandoval (sand...@stsci.edu)
Robert Trifts (E2...@UNB.CA)
Wray (W.) Ferrell (fer...@bnr.ca)
Joe Colleran (jnc4p@virginia.)

Also, to all who have read this FAQ and provided comments,
corrections, and general advice, thanks!

-- John Kochmar,
current editor

Subject: 0) What is UA, and why does this list exist?

Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures (UA for short) is, for all
practical purposes, a dungeon builder and simulator. It allows people
to build their own adventure game, and play it with characters that
they create, in a style taken from the AD&D gaming system.

Unfortunately, while the game itself is quite rich, the manual is more
of a tutorial than a reference manual. Because of this, this FAQ was
created to store as many of the general questions as could be captured
about module building. While all of the information in this FAQ could
be figured out given enough experimenting with the system, we hope the
FAQ will save people some time in creating games.

If you find any problems with this FAQ, or have something you think
should be added, please, Please, PLEASE, let us know. Currently, John
Kochmar (koc...@sei.cmu.edu) is maintaining the FAQ. Forward any
comments on to him about it.

Also, if you currently own the system, drop us a line. Kochmar is
keeping a list of players & developers, and as always, the more the
merrier.

Subject: 1) What are events, and is there a guide to them?

Understanding events and how to use them is crucial to designing a game
in Unlimited Adventures. When you place an event, several pages of
choices are brought up. All events have the same first page. This
gives you control over:

-whether an event happens only once or multiple times
-when an event happens:
-Always
-If party does/doesn't have a special item (see SPECIAL
ITEM)
-Daytime/Nighttime
-Random Percent
-Party is/isn't searching
-Facing certain position (or combination there of)
-Quest Completed/Failed/In Progress
-Party is/isn't detecting traps
-Party can/cannot see invisible
-Specific race/class in party
-Chain Control
-When to chain:
-always
-if event happens
-if event doesn't happen
-List of events to go to next (See CHAIN)

The following is a list of the types of evens, with what can be found on
the pages of questions that come with each event.

ADD NPC
-page 2:
-graphics the player sees & their distance
-text box
-name of npc to add
-percentage of max hitpoints

CAMP
-page 2:
-which camp picture to display
-choice to back up when done (See CHAIN)
-text box

CHAIN

Chaining events allows several different events to follow in
sequence. This chain command allows more control of the
trigger that starts a chain than in the typical page one chain
by using the page one "when event happens"

-page 2:
-event to chain to

COMBAT
-page 2:
-graphics the play sees
-text box
-location of monsters relative to party
-surprised (neither/party/monster)
-choice for auto-approach
-choice for combat being outdoors
-page 3:
-3 choices for monsters which include
-type
-number
-page 4:
-3 more choices, but with an option for them to
be friendly and fight with the party
-page 5:
-choice for no treasure from monsters
-choice for party never dies
-choice for magic doesn't work
-monster moral percent
-difficulty of turning
-none(0)
-harder(2)
-difficult(10)
-impossible(100)

COMBAT TREASURE
-page 2:
-amount of platinum
-amount of gems
-amount of jewelry
-list of 8 items
-choice for whether items are identified.
-page 3:
-note that combat treasure event must be chained
directly before the combat event in which the party
is to get the treasure.

DAMAGE
-page 2:
-art the player sees, and the distance it is from party
-text box
-number of complete attacks
-who is attacked
-party
-active player
-one random party member
-each on has a percent chance to get damage
-page 3:
-how many dice of how many sides plus _____ damage
-saving throw/save for half/save for no damage/hits
based on THAC0
-saving throw type
-modifier to throw
-THAC0 of attack

ENCOUNTER

This is more like what happens when you meet monsters and do
not go into combat right away. What gets done depend on what
you set the options for and where the chain choices go.

-page 2:
-graphics the player sees
-text box
-where monsters are relative to party
-monster speed
-chain choices for
-combat
-talk
-escape
-page 3:
-approach
-whether choice is available
-whether it is allowed closeup
-choosing it will
-decrease range
-combat chain, no surprise
-combat chain, surprise if party is
slow.
-combat chain, monsters surprised if
party is fast
-talk chain
-escape chain if party is fast
-no effect
-retreat
-whether choice is available
-choosing it will
-same options
-fight
-whether choice is available
-whether it will only be allowed closeup
-choosing it will
-same options
-page 4:
-wait
-whether choice is available
-choosing it will
-same options
-talk
-whether choice is available
-whether it will only be allowed closeup
-choosing it will
-same options
-if range goes to zero
-same options minus no effect and decreasing the
range

ENTER PASSWORD
-page 2:
-graphics the party sees
-text box
-password
-number of tries
-teleport destination (see TELEPORT)
-whether to execute event at destination
-page 3:
-text for correctly entered password
-after displaying text
-chain
-do nothing
-teleport
-back up one step in the chain
-page 4:
-same as page 3, but for incorrect password

GAIN EXPERIENCE
-page 2:
-sound
-graphics the party sees
-text box
-who receives experience (party/active member)
-amount

GIVE TREASURE

This is the same as COMBAT TREASURE, but will work at any
time.

GUIDED TOUR

Note long guided tours can be accomplished by chaining several
guided tours and using an option on the page two. Note, guided
tours do not work in overland.

-page 2:
-number of steps (max 24)
-whether to use starting location
-location to start, and facing
-whether to execute event at destination
-page 3:
-first eight steps
-forward/right/left/pause
-page 4:
-steps 9-16
-page 5:
-steps 17-24
-page 6:
-two text boxes
-choices when to display text

NPC SAYS
-page 2:
-say if ________ is in party
-graphics party sees (w/ distance)
-sound
-text box
-whether return must be pressed
-whether text is highlighted
-page 3:
-two more text boxes
-two more whether return must be pressed
-two more whether text is highlighted
-page 4:
-same as page 3

PASS TIME

I have used this event w/ zero time passing to help in chaining
w/ multiple event triggers necessary to start the chain (for
example: 50 percent chance if party is searching)

-page 2:
-text box
-how much time passes

PICK ONE COMBAT

This is the same as combat, except that the monster group is
randomly chosen from one of the groups on pages 4 and 5.

QUEST STAGE

Quests are useful and can often be used like an if/then
statement. Each quest (a total of 44) can have values between
1 and 100. These events should only happen if the quest is at
a value (stage)-1 and will become (stage) when accepted. This
is useful when giving the party a choice. You can also use
utilities to directly manipulate quests.

-page 2:
-graphics the party sees
-text box
-accept quest on:
-impossible
-yes/no/both
-impossible, no question
-automatic, no question
-whether quest is completed on acceptance
-whether quest fails upon rejection
-which quest
-which stage
-page 3:
-chain for accepting
-chain for rejection

QUESTION-BUTTON
-page 2:
-what graphics the party sees
-text box
-button 1:
-label
-chain if choose
-whether to return to question when does
-whether to back up one step when done
-page 3:
-button 2 and 3
-page 4:
-button 4 and 5

QUESTION-LIST
-page 2:
-what graphics the party sees
-small text box
-answer 1:
-small text box
-chain if choose
-whether to return to question when done
-whether to go back on step when done
-page 3:
-answer 2 and 3
-page 4:
-answer 4 and 5

QUESTION-YES/NO
-page 2:
-what the player sees
-text box
-page 3:
-text box for yes
-where to chain
-what to do after chain is done
-page 4:
-same as page 3, but for no

REMOVE NPC
-page 2:
-what the players sees (and distance)
-text box
-who to remove

SHOP
-page 2:
-what the players see
-cost factor (from free to 100 times)
-whether to back up one step when leaving store
-up to four types of items
-pages 3-6
-which items of the 4 types selected are available

SMALL TOWN

Small Towns have simplified versions of things (for example,
the shop in a small town has only two types of items). For
more detail on each type, see each places separate entries.

-page 2:
-what graphics the player sees
-text box
-what is in the town:
-temple
-training hall
-shop
-inn
-tavern
-vault
-rest of the pages are for what is in the town

SOUNDS
-page 2:
-first 5 sounds to be played
-page 3:
-second 5 sounds to be played

SPECIAL ITEM

You can use this option to reset quests by taking them from the
player

-page 2:
-what graphics the player sees
-text box
-whether to give or take item from party
-which item

STAIRS
-page 2:
-what graphics the player sees before entering
-whether to ask a yes or no question
-whether to transfer on yes or no
-text box for question
-page 3:
-where on map to go when entering stairs
-text box
-whether to execute event at destination

TAVERN
-page 2:
-what graphics the player sees
-text box
-whether to allow fights
-where to chain on a fight
-whether to back up a step on leaving
-page 3:
-show tales in order/random
-tale one and two
-page 4:
-tale three and four
-page 5:
-whether to allow drinks
-where to chain when too much is drunk
-names of five drinks

TAVERN TALES

This is place in a chain before a SMALL TOWN or TAVERN and
includes six tales.

TELEPORTER

This is like a stairs, but can transfer without question

TEMPLE
-page 2:
-what graphics the player sees
-text box
-spell level offered
-cost
-whether to allow donations
-how much must be donated
-where to chain when enough is donated
-page 3:
-what text read in the temple
-whether to go back one step when leaving

TEXT STATEMENT
-page 2:
-what graphics the player sees
-sound
-distance
-whether to back up one step when leaving
-text box 1:
-text box
-whether you must press return
-whether text is highlighted
-pages 3 and 4 : Text boxes 2 - 5

TRAINING HALL
-page 2:
-who may train
-cost
-what graphics the player sees
-text box
-whether to back up one step

TRANSFER MODULE

This is like TELEPORT, but can be between modules

UTILITIES

This event is useful for manually effecting quests and can be
used to keep track of many things. For example, if you wanted
to have certain events happen only if an alarm has been set
off, you can use quest one for the alarm. It starts at zero.
If the alarm is set off, add one to quest one. Then in page
one of each event you want to happen only in this special case,
set the event to happen only if you have quest one.

-page 2:
-how much is stored in/added/subtracted from
quest/item
-whether to exit play now
-page 3:
-check up to six items/quest and put result
in item/quest if all/any of six items are
present

VAULT

This is a place where items can be dropped and retrieved later

-page 2:
-what graphics the party sees
-text box
-whether to back up one when leaving

WHO PAYS
-page 2:
-what graphics the party sees
-text box
-what is need for success (enough platinum/
gems/jewelry/impossible)
-where to teleport if necessary
-whether to execute event at location
-page 3:
-text box for success
-after text: chain/teleport/back up one step
-page 4:
-same as page 3, but for failure

WHO TRIES
-page 2:
-what graphics the party sees
-text box
-what check is based on (stat or thief skill)
-whether compared to die/must have at least
-number of tries
-teleport destination if needed
-whether to execute event at location
-page 3:
-text box for success
-after text: chain/teleport.back up on step
-page 4:
-same as page 3, but for failure

Subject: 2) How do events and event chains work?

An event is evaluated for execution when the party enters a square that
the event is attached to. If the party meets the criteria for the
event, then the event occurs. There are many different types of
criteria, outlined above, that affect the events.

Events can be defined to happen only once during the game, or happen
every time the event's criteria is met. Planned combat events and
traps tend to fall into the former category, while random encounters
and informational items tend to fall into the latter, though there are
exceptions. The defaults tend to be pretty good for creation of events
that don't lead to a party's being able to milk lucrative events.

2 or more events in a single square can be connected through a "chain"
that allows for creating rich events or modifying what happens to the
party based on previous actions.

A chain between 2 events can take one of 3 forms: always, follow on
success, follow on failure. Once the chain stops, subsequent events do
not happen. However, failure of an event *does not* break the chain,
only the logic of whether to follow the chain can do that. Also, do
once is considered a *failure* after the first time, so a subsequent
always event will be evaluated, and if it is not a do once event, it
can happen again.

For example, if event A is a do once event (like, get a message if they
search and keep them from entering the square) and you want event B,
which is supposed to happen only if event A fails, to be evaluated for
happening only once, you must set the only done once field, or it will
happen every time the party crosses the square and meets the success
criteria.

Subject: 3) What are quest items, keys, and special items for?

Because events can be specified to occur only in the presence of quest
items, keys, and special items, information can be carried from event
to event through the use of these items. Keys and items can be seen in
the party's inventory (which is separate from the individual party
member's inventory), while quest items cannot. This provides a boolean
variable for setting off specific events given the results of previous
events.

For example, you might have the party get a quest item if they are not
searching when entering a building (having them trip an alarm), and
include a few more combat events (with monster's advantage) if the
party has that quest item. Key's and special items work similarly, and
can also be used to limit a party's advance into certain areas of the
dungeon if they have not completed certain tasks.

Subject: 4) How can I create an NPC?

NPC's are created in the monster creation screen. This is actually
documented, but some people missed it, so it is here for completeness.

Subject: 5) What drawing programs can I use with UA?

UA lists PC Paintbrush and Deluxe Paint as supported paint programs.
In addition, Corel PhotoPaint, Deluxe Paint II Enhanced, and Neopaint
work well with the .PCX files, but Draw (I forget who produced it) does
not.

PhotoPaint supports .PCX files by default, and works nicely with the UA
templates. The cost for the Corel package is a little steep, but it
comes with other tools and fonts people might like.

Deluxe Paint II Enhanced supports both .PCX and .LBM files. It
supports most video cards and is the only package that will allow you
to create cycling colors. It's published by EA and runs around $80.

Neopaint will do 1024x768 for most popular cards in 256. 320x200 is
also possible by specifying the image size within the video mode. It
also supports TIFFS and GIFs in addition to .pcx files. It sells for
around $45.00, and is available to 30 day evaluation via anonymous ftp
(consult archie -- seach for neopaint.zip.) The commercial version has
even more features than the anonymous ftp version (which is quite good
in its own right.)

Draw, which is has support for .PCX format files through import & export
commands, does not work properly with the UA art. Exported .PCX files
from Draw give a bad header message when you try to import them into UA.

Subject: 6) What games are available for UA?

To date, there are 11 adventures available (besides the demo that came
with the game). They can be picked up at the following sites:

wuarchive.wustl.edu in /pub/msdos_uploads/games/UA
ccosun.caltech.edu in /pub/adnd/inbound

The games are outlined below, in the following form:

Name: Name of the Game
Date: May 7, 1993
File: File Name
Author: Author's name
Type: Free, copyrighted, etc.
Text (usually from the author) describing the game.
Disclaimer:
Any disclaimers, notes, copywrites, etc, given with
the game beyond what is listed above.

Name: Dead Swamp Destiny
Date: ???
Author: Robert Schmitz
File: deadswam.zip
Type: copyrighted, but free for use
Featuring several new monsters (but only a few new graphics!),
this module is for the experienced player, and is intended to
be played at CHAMPION level. Your characters will progress from
level 12 through to about 20-25 as they attempt to thwart the
plans of an evil god.
Disclaimer:
People may use the art contained as long as Robert is given
credit for its creation. You may not sell Robert's work
without his explicit permission.

Name: Challenge Beneath Summerfield
Date: May 7, 1993
File: SUMMERFI.ZIP (13605 bytes)
Author: JWQUINN
Type: Freely Distributed
This is an entry level dungeon for 1-4 level characters. Its my
first design and I think it came out reasonably well. Hope you
have as much fun playing it as I did making it. It all takes
place in the town of Summerfield and beneath.
Disclaimer:
We guarantee that each module released will, when properly
installed, load into Unlimited Adventures. We do NOT guarantee
that these modules are completely bug-free. They are downloaded
on an as-is basis. Comments to the author are always welcome.

Name: Arena Adventure
Date: May 6, 1993
File: ARENA.ZIP (14063 bytes)
Author: Mark Grant
Type: Freely Distributed
You are in the town of Sarena wealth lures you towards The
Wizard, The Pyro-Maniac and the Beastmaster. Can you survive?
Disclaimer:
We guarantee that each module released will, when properly
installed, load into Unlimited Adventures. We do NOT guarantee
that these modules are completely bug-free. They are downloaded
on an as-is basis. Comments to the author are always welcome.

Name: Red Dragon Adventure
Date: May 6, 1993
File: REDDRAGO.ZIP (16196 bytes)
Author: Rommel
Type: Freely Distributed
This is a quick little adventure I put together. Find and kill
the red dragon. Be careful where you sleep.
Disclaimer:
We guarantee that each module released will, when properly
installed, load into Unlimited Adventures. We do NOT guarantee
that these modules are completely bug-free. They are downloaded
on an as-is basis. Comments to the author are always welcome.

Name: Goblin Adventure
Date: May 6, 1993
File: GOBLINS.ZIP (5562 bytes)
AUTHOR: LrdPhoenix
Type: Freely Distributed
An interesting adventure with the Fun Goblins
Disclaimer:
We guarantee that each module released will, when properly
installed, load into Unlimited Adventures. We do NOT guarantee
that these modules are completely bug-free. They are downloaded
on an as-is basis. Comments to the author are always welcome.

Name: The Beginning
Date: May 6, 1993
File: THEBEGIN.ZIP (22422 bytes)
Author: ROMMEL
Type: Freely Distributed
This is just a quick little adventure I put together in about 3
days not bad. If you find a bug. or one of my many spelling
mistakes please e-mail me. Also if you would like the password
please do the same.
Disclaimer:
We guarantee that each module released will, when properly
installed, load into Unlimited Adventures. We do NOT guarantee
that these modules are completely bug-free. They are downloaded
on an as-is basis. Comments to the author are always welcome.

Name: Sins of our Fathers
Date: April 27, 1993
File: SINS.ZIP (13349 bytes)
Author: Pashka
Type: Freely Distributed
The children of a small town are disappearing, and Dark Elves
are implicated. Can you solve the mystery and return the
children to freedom? The editor is unlocked ;) For levels
8-12.
Disclaimer:
We guarantee that each module released will, when properly
installed, load into Unlimited Adventures. We do NOT guarantee
that these modules are completely bug-free. They are downloaded
on an as-is basis. Comments to the author are always welcome.

Name: Kobold Uprising Module
Date: April 25, 1993
File: KOBOLD.ZIP (31460 bytes)
Author: Neale Davidson
Type: Freely Distributed
Kobolds and thieves are on the rampage in the little town of
Augris. A starting band of adventurers is needed to rid the
town of these dreaded Kobolds. DREADED KOBOLDS?

This adventure was designed specifically to make you look twice
at what was once considered popcorn.

ReadMe file is included

Don't be misled by the fact that you start with level 1
characters - this adventure poses lots of nice challenges! (SR)
Disclaimer:
We guarantee that each module released will, when properly
installed, load into Unlimited Adventures. We do NOT guarantee
that these modules are completely bug-free. They are downloaded
on an as-is basis. Comments to the author are always welcome.

Name: Lost Love Module
Date: April 25, 1993
File: LSL.ZIP (59353 bytes)
AUTHOR: Redman5
Type: Freely Distributed
This is my first lame attempt at creating an AD&D module. I
just put it up quickly to stimulate others to do the same.
Play time should be less than 1 hour.

You have just returned to Espar and are going to visit your
special someone in the village south of the town. Well good
luck. There are lots of little bugs. I think the game is ok
though. Please E-mail me about bad things. I can always give
you the password to change things. Thanks and have fun...

1) If you use QEXTRACT or automatic unzipping with this file,
you will not pick up the SAVE subdirectory in this package -
with its characters and sample party. This module should be
unzipped using PKUNZIP with the -D option

2) This module is rated PG-13 (or so :D) due to the pep talk by
your overly enthusiastic NPC. ;D
Disclaimer:
We guarantee that each module released will, when properly
installed, load into Unlimited Adventures. We do NOT guarantee
that these modules are completely bug-free. They are downloaded
on an as-is basis. Comments to the author are always welcome.

Name: MALTRIAL: Trial of Champions
Date: April 23, 1993
From: Wraithstar
File: MALTRIAL.ZIP (13986 bytes)
to put this on here for an old "friend" of NeverWinters.. ;)
It's kind of short but is quite good. It's a Mid-Level, one
town, one dungeon adventure. This is the first one Mal has
written so it may be a little rough around the edges but is
Wanted to put this on here for an old "friend" of
NeverWinters.. ;) It's kind of short but I wanted to put this
on here for an old "friend" of NeverWinters.. ;) It's kind of
short but is quite good. It's a Mid-Level, one town, one
dungeon adventure. This is the first one Mal has written so it
may be a little rough around the edges but is Wacool little
adventure!

(NOTE: The final battle is a REAL beauty in this one :D)
Disclaimer:
We guarantee that each module released will, when properly
installed, load into Unlimited Adventures. We do NOT guarantee
that these modules are completely bug-free. They are downloaded
on an as-is basis. Comments to the author are always welcome.

Subj: Ravenloft Adventure
Date: April 23, 1993
File: RAVEN.ZIP (11897 bytes)
Author: Curtis Morris
Type: Freely Distributed
This is my first UA adventure so there are probably spelling
mistakes,and other bugs.The reason i tried to get this out fast
is to hopefully encourage others to get those adventures out
this is a great product.If you find any bugs please e-mail me
the names Loathar.If you want I'll give you the password to
unlock the module so you may edit it.Oh,also there is a place
on the overland map if you find it there is lots of treasure
there.

The story begins with your party in a strange realm and small
village. It's not a long module but trust me it gets hard so
try to build up your party on the overland map.The final castle
is extra tough.If you finish it post your messages so I can
get your reactions.

When Loather tells us the final castle is extra-tough, he's not
promising something he doesn't deliver. Be warned ;D (PC Simon)
Disclaimer:
We guarantee that each module released will, when properly
installed, load into Unlimited Adventures. We do NOT guarantee
that these modules are completely bug-free. They are downloaded
on an as-is basis. Comments to the author are always welcome.

Subject: In the Dread of Night Module
File: DREAD.ZIP (29773 bytes)
Author: Chet Tidwell - Programmer Ann Dupuis - Dragon #24 Author
Needs: PKUNZIP (with -D option), SSI's Unlimited Adventures
Type: Freely Distributed
This is my first AD&D module. I decided to write a short first
level adventure game based on on of my favorite Dragon
Adventures. If have used this module for several AD&D games as
a starting place. If you wish to edit the modules, the
password is dread. E-Mail me at susan.cs.andrew.edu with any
comments.

The party finds itself in a small rural town that has more than
their fair share of wizard troubles. It is up to the party to
figure out what is going on. Character should be be levels 1-3
of any class. Combat, while not stressed, does occur; and
there are several challenging puzzles for you to enjoy. There
are several endings, so keep trying.
Disclaimer:
We guarantee that each module released will, when properly
installed, load into Unlimited Adventures. We do NOT guarantee
that these modules are completely bug-free. They are downloaded
on an as-is basis. Comments to the author are always welcome.

koc...@sei.cmu.edu (John Kochmar)
E2...@UNB.CA (Robert Trifts)
fbr...@marsha.sanders.lockheed.com (F. Bruno)
ma...@holonet.net (Mason Reed)
jn...@Virginia.EDU (Joseph Nicholas Colleran)
tid...@susan.cs.andrews.edu (Charles Tidwell III)
ato...@mpi-sb.mpg.de (Andreas Toenne)
lar...@iastate.edu (Bret Larwick)
mij...@ocf.berkeley.edu (Michael J Telanoff)
sand...@stsci.edu (John Sandoval)
pic...@acs.bu.edu (David A. Ondzes)
mad...@NeoSoft.com (Jack Stitt)
dpo...@fndp2.fnal.gov (David Potter)
don...@cae.wisc.edu (Donald Allen)
vo...@cs.rochester.edu (Peter von Kaenel)
dan-o...@uchicago.edu (J. Daniel Ozeran)
este...@student.tc.umn.edu (Alan S Estenson-1)
cf...@ciis.mitre.org (Curt Frye)
sim...@cs.washington.edu (Dave Simmons)
drak...@fubar.cs.montana.edu (Charles L. Stewart III)
lo...@lexmark.com (Stan Logan)
br...@porky.oce.orst.edu (Brett Barksdale)
wixer!wixer.bga.com!mor...@cactus.org (Captain Moroni)
bo...@eng.sun.com (Steve Jankowski)
swk...@nuscc.nus.sg (Sir Launcelot du Lac)
Kevin...@Novell.COM (Hurst, Kevin)
Stco...@major.cs.mtu.edu (Steven Corrigan)
slsh...@cs.mtu.edu (Scott Sherrill)
ch...@chrism.demon.co.uk (Chris Marriott)
s...@cs.duke.edu (Steve Owen)
mmic...@irvine.com (Mike)
the...@ornews.intel.com (Brian Kidby)
fl...@cwis.unomaha.edu (John Anderson)
SV...@Levels.UniSA.Edu.Au (Mark McKay)
jgo...@ADOBE.COM (Jim Gould)
vand...@imec.be (Jan Vandenbergh)
la...@unix.cc.emory.edu (Diego Gallina)
tp0...@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Tom Parker)
jw...@nyx.cs.du.edu (Jon WolF)
RE...@isf-n1.isf.rwth-aachen.de (Thilo Reichel)
Gar...@utkvx.utk.edu (Shawn Garbett)
kije...@bcsaic.boeing.com (Ronald Kijewski)
czo...@NMSU.Edu (Cory Zorker)
br...@tasha.poly.edu (Brian Librandi)
doc...@neptune.convex.com (William Dockendorf)
biz...@Panix.Com (Bernard Chase)
dc...@muskwa.ucs.ualberta.ca (Chow Donald)
R...@cw-f1.umd.umich.edu (Roy Osborn)
m...@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Mike Miller)
ke...@world.std.com (Keith B Richmond)
cr...@cave.tcp.COM (Crys Rides)
cca...@prism.gatech.edu (Celso E. Alvarado)
hys...@ie.cuhk.hk (Uranus Seto)
cla...@summer.chem.su.oz.au (Paul Clay)
ma2...@sunlab1.bath.ac.uk (Johnnie)
r...@citi.umich.edu (Rob Skrobola)
st...@ginnungagap.tsd.itg.ti.com (Steven Schneider)
sn...@lyrae.colorado.edu (Martin Snow)
mxj...@ultb.isc.rit.edu (M.X. Jen)
log...@tc.fluke.COM (Leonard Ogden)
ja...@crux2.cit.cornell.edu (J. Andrew Scherrer)
fer...@bnr.ca (Wray W. Ferrell)
ke_ki...@vax.cns.muskingum.edu (Kevin Kimmell)
cl...@alice.wonderland.caltech.edu (Clark)
mc...@crux2.cit.cornell.edu (Martin Snyder)
shof...@iastate.edu (Scot Hoffman)
dav...@ttsi.tandem.com (David Hernandez)

Subject: 8) Can I differentiate between combats a party has won
and combats the party has run from?

There is apparently no way to differentiate between a combat that the
party won (killed all the monsters) and one which they simply survived
(all members either fled or where immobilized.) In other words, if the
party runs from your super duper combat, the chain continues down
through the next events, giving them quest points, etc. just as
if they had won!

In addition, if at least one party member is held, charmed, or otherwise
being affected by a temporary spell that removes the character from
players control, and all other friendly creatures are dead or down, the
combat ends as if the held/controlled players had fled. Keep this in
mind while designing your combats [although it isn't something you can
do something about, its interesting].

Subject: 9) What cursed items exist?

There appears to be only 2 cursed items in the game: a cursed crossbow,
and a ring of vulnerability. So, players can safely use items without
having them identified if they are not rings or crossbows.

Subject: 10) Can I create my own items?

No, and yes.

No, you cannot create items like swords with special abilities, or make
your own spells. The following is from James Young, who worked on the
development of UA:

Again this has to do with our license agreements with TSR as
these items, spells are essentially owned by TSR. We were
lucky that they allowed us to edit monsters (or did we get away
with it:>). Also by allowing users to edit spells and items
would have created an immense headache for the programers.

So, it appears you can't create your +1 sword +3 against enchanted
creatures. There also doesn't appear any way of deciding what spells
go on a scroll, which means you can't tailor your scrolls to your
adventure.

However, you can tailor events based on the existence of an item in the
party's inventory, so with a little work, you can special create items
like "the bandage of St Skywiler" that reduces the damages inflicted
by certain traps, or "the Scepter of Lord Kickbutt" that reduces the
morale of monsters by 25% on combat events.

Subject: 11) How can I make secret doors, 1 way doors, and simulate
collapsing walls?

In FRUA, walls have properties that can create not only standard walls,
but be used to create secret doors, 1 way doors, and even simulate
collapsing walls. The properties that allow this are that you are
allowed to whether a wall is solid or passible, and select art (with no
art allowing the player to see past the wall), and that you can set
these properties independent of what is on the other side of the wall.

Secret doors take advantage of the fact that a wall with no door
picture can be set so that the player can pass through it. A text
event found when searching can indicate the directoion of the secret
door to the players.

A one-way door is created by making one side of a wall have a door
picture and allowing the person to walk through, and have a solid wall
piture on the other side and not allow the party to pass back through.

Collapsing walls are created by having a wall with one side that has no
wall art, and the other side having a wall, with a damage/text event on
the square adjacent to the wall art. When the player passes through
the wall from the no-art side, they hit the damage trap saying that the
wall has collapsed. Upon turning around, the player will notice that
the wall is now in place, and they cannot return that way.

Note: to place 1/2 of a wall, use the cursor keys and wall placing
commands to place the wall based on where the cursor is pointing. If
you use the mouse and the mouse pointer, it will place both sides of
the wall using the same wall art and passibility.

Subject: 12) The combat icons .PCX template is misaligned, is there
a way to fix it?

Yes, you can fix it by grabbing the paint area that surrounds the icon
frames, and dragging it down 13 pixels. Once done, you can use the
Combat icon frames to create your own combat images. Of course, you
should make a backup copy of any templates you intend to modify.

For people who can't get this to work, John Kochmar can mail you a copy
of his. Contact John by mailing to koc...@sei.cmu.edu.

Ed: Of course, this should go out to the art repository -- once one is
established.

Subject: 13) What additional art is available?

John Sandoval (sand...@stsci.edu) has offered to take people's non UA
art and convert it to a UA image for them. You can contact John via
email, he expects there to be about a 1-day turnaround on most images.
He'll accept formats in .GIF, .PCX, and .LBM.

Joe Colleran uploaded the following files to ccosun.caltech.edu in
pub\adnd\inbound:

POOLPICS.ZIP
POOLPICS.TXT

The original icon for Thorne, the Super-Dragon was 3 squares long by 2
squares high. As Unlimited Adventures only supports icons a maximum of
2 x 2, I had to "compress" Thorne. That is why he looks a little
squashed.

minismap.pcx - Map of the Moonsea area after Bane nukes the cities.
kalistes.pcx - Kalistes, a Type V Demon (also known as a Marilith)
combat icon
gothmene.pcx - Gothmenes, a Type VI Demon (also known as a Balor)
combat icon
tanetal.pcx - Tanetal, a Type III Demon (also known as a Glazebru)
combat icon
thorne.pcx - Thorne, the big, bad, Red Dragon combat icon
bluemin.pcx - Blue Minion of Bane combat icon
blackmin.pcx - Black Minion of Bane combat icon
redmin.pcx - Red Minion of Bane combat icon
draclich.pcx - Small picture of a Dracolich
moranmap.pcx - Overland map of the body of Morander

John Sandoval (sand...@stsci.edu) has uploaded the following pitures.
Contact him if you have any problems with these pics. The art is
available under pub/MSDOS_UPLOADS/games/UA/Art on wuarchive:

ansalon.lbm - Overhead map of Ansalon (with cycling water...)
deadkngt.pcx - small pic of knight lying dead in snow
dknight1.pcx - small pic of Lord Soth
draco1.pcx - small pic of a draconian
draco2.pcx - small pic of a draconian (different from 1)
elf1.pcx - small pic of Tanis
female1.pcx - small pic of Laurana
fighter1.pcx - small pic of Dragon Highlord
hill2.pcx - combat pic of Hill Giant (from UA)
kender1.pcx - small pic of Tasselhoff
magic1.pcx - small pic of Raistlin
pair1.pcx - small pic of Caramon and Tika
skelridr.pcx - big pic of skeletons on horseback

Subject: 14) What are in the mage and cleric scrolls listed in
the scroll item list?

Well, since the scrolls don't list what spells they contain, here are the
spells each has. The scrolls are listed, top to bottom, so that the first
scroll in the list of scrolls will have the spells on it described under
scroll 1 below.

Mage Scrolls:
scroll 1 - hold monster (level 5)
fire touch (level 5)
iron skin (level 5)

scroll 2 - death spell (level 6)
globe of invulnerability (level 6)
stone to flesh (level 6)

scroll 3 - delayed blast fireball (level 7)
monster summoning (level 9)
power word kill (level 9)

scroll 4 - hold person (level 3)
fire touch (level 5)
dispel magic (level 3)

Cleric Scrolls:
scroll 1 - restoration (level 7)
resurrection (level 7)
restoration (level 7)

scroll 2 - destruction (level 7)
energy drain (level 7)
blade barrier (level 6)

Subject: 15) what happens if I copy a simple monster into an NPC slot?

Simple monsters (those without an * next to there names) can be copied
into NPC slots. the resulting NPC has the stats the monster had and
the level(s) that you had set for the monster. On the other hand, the
NPC has 0xp (regardless of what level), and (if a Magic-User) has NO
spells in his/her spellbook. Not even 1st level spells.

Subject: 16) What happens if I try and look at the spells of a dead
mage?

Don't do it! You get the screen with the spells, but the return button is
mysteriously absent. Can you say reboot?

Subject: 17) Can I create a mage NPC?

It appears you can create an NPC mage, but modifying the charcter stats
(necessary to create the mage) will cause the mage to flee at the first
sign of combat.

There is no known (as of yet) solution to the fleeing NPC problem, and
affects any NPC that is modified..

Subject: 18) Can I make stairs/teleporters reference an entry
point rather than a specific grid point?

The GOTO ENTRY POINT option does not seem to work right on either
teleport or stair modes. Using GOTO POINT ROW X COLUMN Y works fine,
though. When it is set to GOTO ENTRY POINT, it always goes back to
entry point 1.

Subject: 19) Can I make the starting point anything other than
entry point 1?

It doesn't appear so. From what people can tell, the starting point is
always entry point 1.

Subject: 20) Is there a true "random encounter" in the game?

One way to simulate random encounters is use the 'Pick One Combat'
event. On the first page of the event, set the random percentage of
occurrence to something like 20%. Therefore, after every X steps in Zone
Y there will be a 20% chance of encountering a monster and since it is
a 'Pick One Combat', the monsters will vary as well. This is how a DM
would do it if you were playing the game, every turn roll a d10 and on
a 1 or 2 the party encounters some monsters. Go to the monster list and
roll a dice to see what group the party faces.

Subject: 21) I'm having problems in test mode, are there things
that don't work right in test mode that work ok when
playing the game?

Yes.

1. Contrary to the manual, you cannot go from one module to
another while in test mode (i.e. when you try to go from
overland to the test dungeon it won't work!). The only way to
truly test it is to play the module with a real test party.

2. You do not enter the module in test mode at one of the entry
points, but rather at the spot where the yellow arrow is, no
matter how it is set. You do enter the module from another
module at the preset entry point, though.

There may be more. As they are found, they'll be added to the list.
But, if something isn't working, and you think it should be, try it in
real (game play) mode.

Subject: 22) Can you import new sounds into the game?

Doesn't appear so. There is some hope that SSI will release additional
enhancements to the game (there are posts to that effect), and maybe
they'll include new sounds, but that about the best you can hope for
right now.
Subject: 23) How can I implement an armory?

You can create shops that charge nothing. In this way, you can create
an armory for your dungeons. You still have to pay to identify items,
though, at the fixed cost of 20 pp.

Subject: 24) Can I add new pictures without replacing old ones?

No.

The system works with a fixed number of slots, and adding a new monster
means eliminating an old one. However, no one has run into the problem
that they didn't have enough monster slots for any one adventure (yet.)

Subject: 25) How can I go about capturing art for UA?

-- What follows is from John Sandoval (sand...@stsci.edu). If you
-- need to contact him about any of it, you should just send mail to
-- him directly.

Ok, there's been a lot of talk lately about importing pictures into
UA. I'm sure that this is something we all want to do, since it's fun
to put in your own pictures.

First off, let me say that, while it's easy to do in principal, there
are a few tricks to it. Most importantly, you need to have a painting
program that will allow you to manipulate the palette easily. This is
necessary, since the first 32 colors of the palette are "off-limits"
for the small pics and large pics. The best program I've seen is
Deluxe Paint II Enhanced. It supports both of the formats that UA uses
(.PCX and .LBM), and it's got LOTS of tools to make importing easier.
I've used DPIIE extensively for the past year for my Jack Nicklaus
Signature Edition designs, and it's proven invaluable.

The second trick is to find pictures that will fit in the 88x88 square
for small pics, and 300x120 for large pics. This is tougher than it
sounds, if you aren't using screen captures from other SSI games. If
the picture is much larger, then you are going to lose a lot of the
resolution when it shrinks down.

I have begin creating small pics using screen captures from Might &
Magic III. They are working quite well, and I can create a UA pic in
about 5 minutes from a screen capture.

All that being said, I'd like to make an offer to all you other
designers. If ANYONE out there wants to have their screen captures or
pictures converted to UA pics, I'd be more than happy to do it. There
are a few conditions that I'd like to state right out in the open:

- Try to keep the desired pic as close to the two sizes as possible.
If you don't then you won't be as happy to see it as a UA pic.

- Screen captures from other RPG's (ESPECIALLY other SSI games) is
the preferred pic. All those screens and characters from the Gold
Box games should be easy to do.

- Your pics should be posted on some FTP site, if at all possible.
I'd be willing to accept mailed disks, if some people don't have FTP
access. E-mail me for my address.

- If you do post your pics on an FTP site, include a text file with
any special instructions for your pics. And zip them up, so it's
easier to get them all.

If someone else would be willing to find and setup an appropriate FTP
site, then I could post ALL of the pics that I create there, so that
we'd have a common spot for all pics. I'd expect the turn around time
to be one day for most occasions.

If anyone else has DPIIE and would like some tips, or if you'd like
more details about DPIIE, feel free to ask...

Subject: 26) Why can't I make self standing adventures?

What follows is from James Young, a SSI developer who posted this
America Online.

1) Why no self standing game?

Answer: This was due to the fact that AD&D is owned by TSR and
not by SSI. Hence were had to maintain some product control as
per our license agreements with TSR. BTC is a generic FRPG
system owned by EA and therefore they could do a stand alone
system.

Subject: 27) when working with art, can I change the color palette?

For UA art, palette can be manipulated. The only constraint is that
only certain positions in the palette can't be changed (the first 32
colors for big and small pics).

John Sandoval has taken a screen capture from Might & Magic III, and has
made a pic for UA. The palettes were completely different, but what he
did was remap the palette from his screen capture into the template for
UA. Then, he set those first 32 colors back to their pink values.

Subject: 28) When I import art into one design and then switch to a
different one, the imported art shows up in the other
design. Does the art import into all designs?

The game remembers Art imported for one adventure design when you
switch to a different design. To make the game "forget" about the
imported art, you must exit the game and restart it with the other
design.

Subject: 29) Can I move a party from adventure to adventure?

Yes, you can copy the saved adventure files from the first design
directory to the second design directory. The players will begin with
their old saved experience points, and not get the experience points
that you set for that design. They'll also bring with the all of their
old equipment.

Note: You must remove the characters from their previous party before
you can copy them to the new adventure.

Subject: 30) How do I keep a party from using the overhead view in
a module?

Turning off the overhead (area) view is available through the global
information editor. It can be turned off on a module by module basis
(some areas can have it, while other do not) within the same adventure
design.

Subject: 31) When I try and create a party for a module I picked up,
it keep asking for a save disk. What is going on?

What the game wants is a directory named "Save" in the design directory
for that particular game. Creating the directory will clear up the
problem, and allow you to create and save players for the adventure.

Subject: 32) My NPC runs from combat. What's going on?

Dubbed the cowardly NPC problem, an NPC who's stats are modified will
run from every combat encounter.

The problem only appears when you modify a particular NPC. If you use
one of the NPC's unmodified, the NPC will do the right thing (stand and
fight in combat, that is ;^) You can change the NPC's name, items, and
even art without affecting the cowardice of the NPC.

A list of NPC stats can be picked up from the Misc archive areas. The
file is named default_npc.list, ir was not included here to save
space.

John Kochmar | Estimated amount of glucose used by an adult human
koc...@sei.cmu.edu | brain each day, expressed in M&Ms: 250
SEI Computing Facilities | -Harper's Index, October 1989

Alan S Estenson-1

May 22, 1993, 3:40:43 AM5/22/93
Seeing as I've been uploading the majority of new modules (thru America
Online) and since someone else has volunteered to "police" the Art
subdirectory at wuarchive, I'm volunteering to manage the Modules
subdirectory.

1. I'll be starting a list of all modules for FRUA that are available
at ftp sites. Basically, module name, size of .zip file, three
sentence summary, etc. SO, if authors of new modules want me to say
something specific about their creation, e-mail me at this address
(see .sig file)

2. My first administrative note: (wow, huh) A module with the filename
unexpect.zip has been uploaded to UA/Modules without an accompanying
.txt file. PLEASE, people, include that text file! So, if the author
would kindly either upload a text file description, or e-mail one to
me, I'd be grateful (and so would many others, I'd warrant)

Once this "modular index" file is ready, I'll let y'all know.

--
Alan S. Estenson aka "Mycroft" aka este...@student.tc.umn.edu
Aerospace Engineering / University of Minnesota / Minneapolis, MN