Black & White

Martin Koolhoven

Feb 5, 2002, 7:35:02 AM2/5/02

Anybody here already played it on a mac?

Martin

Michael Tosberg

Feb 8, 2002, 12:57:43 PM2/8/02
Martin Koolhoven <kool...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Anybody here already played it on a mac?

I am playing it on a G3/300 with a Voodoo 2 card and after a bit of
fumbling around now it works fine, although of course it is not as
beautiful as on my cube in the office or some Nvidia card on a real fast
mac(tm).

It is such a nice game and my children will LOVE it!

I had a problem with the installer, as it would not let me change the
CDs. I solved it by clicking on the finder after the installer started.
If the installer is in the foreground, the "change discs"-dialog
prevents changing them by hand, and the slide did not open. With the
finder in the foreground i was able to manually change the discs and the
installation completed.

Michael

Message has been deleted

Michael Tosberg

Feb 14, 2002, 4:53:30 PM2/14/02
Dair Grant <da...@zonic.co.uk> wrote:

> We've had two reports of this happening so far, but haven't been able to
> track down what's causing it - would you be able to forward an ASP
> report from your machine to bwsu...@feral.co.uk?

btw, this happened on *two* machines, my old beige G3 at home (OS 8.6)
with a non-apple cd-Drive and an not so old iMac in my office (Mac OS
9.1). I'll send the ASPs of course, when i'm back from office.

As i already said, i could install it on my cube though (Mac OS 9.1), so
i think it's not a problem of the OS.

> It would also be useful if you could indicate which version of the CD
> you've got - there are four so far:
>

> 2. English/French/German

This is it.

Thanx for the support. B&W still runs on the G3 with my Voodoo2 quite
good. Some of the start-movies cannot be seen, but the graphics in the
game are quite nice and everything works after giving it more RAM (which
is NOT mentioned in the readme!). This game scales truly terrific
regarding 3D-performance!

Michael

Dair Grant

Feb 15, 2002, 4:33:39 PM2/15/02
Michael Tosberg <tos...@mac.com> wrote:

> btw, this happened on *two* machines, my old beige G3 at home (OS 8.6)
> with a non-apple cd-Drive and an not so old iMac in my office (Mac OS
> 9.1). I'll send the ASPs of course, when i'm back from office.
>
> As i already said, i could install it on my cube though (Mac OS 9.1), so
> i think it's not a problem of the OS.

Thanks - the ASP reports will be very handy. It does seem to be
happening to some people on 9.1 as well, although of course not on any
systems we have direct access to.

If it was possible to include an ASP report from the Cube on which it
worked then that would be very handy: with any luck we'll be able to
compare it to the iMac and spot the difference.

> Thanx for the support. B&W still runs on the G3 with my Voodoo2 quite
> good. Some of the start-movies cannot be seen, but the graphics in the
> game are quite nice

Unfortunately we ran into some bugs with the 3Dfx drivers which meant we
weren't able to support the Voodoo cards officially - but if it's
working for you, that's great. :-)

> and everything works after giving it more RAM (which is NOT mentioned
> in the readme!).

Actually, this isn't something we'd recommend: the application expects
to run in its default partition size on 9, and automatically uses system
memory as required. If you increase the application size there's less
memory left over for the system, which can cause problems for OpenGL.

We have had some users increase the memory size and then run into
problems, so we'd recommend you leave the partition size as it is.

You may find this has helped you if you have one of the 3Dfx cards that
can launch B&W, but for everyone else we'd recommend leaving the
partition size at the default.

-dair
mailto:da...@zonic.co.uk http://www.zonic.co.uk/

Michael Tosberg

Feb 16, 2002, 2:34:29 PM2/16/02
Dair Grant <da...@zonic.co.uk> wrote:

> If it was possible to include an ASP report from the Cube on which it
> worked then that would be very handy: with any luck we'll be able to
> compare it to the iMac and spot the difference.

ok, back to office then (monday and i'll get the ASP from that too
(could have thought of that myself)). I'll send it with the ASPs of the
old G3 and the iMac (both with the changing disks bug), so you have them
in one package.

Michael

Dave Trescott

Feb 16, 2002, 3:09:47 PM2/16/02
In <1f7psvv.y7pvzh1jpknhuN%tos...@mac.com> tos...@mac.com (Michael
>Pardon me, Gentlemen, but I've discarded your previous posts in this
>thread. What, if anything, does this have to do with the game, Black
>and White?

I ask because my copy has been shipped from Amazon and I would like to
know if there is a problem with the software.

Dave

Michael Tosberg

Feb 16, 2002, 7:49:31 PM2/16/02
Dave Trescott <dvdt...@bluegreenplanetlink.net> wrote:

> I ask because my copy has been shipped from Amazon and I would like to
> know if there is a problem with the software.

It's only a bug in the installer on certain macs, which can be overcome.
Read the thread in the macgamer troubleshooting forum, or try this, when
the cds won't swap:

I solved it by changing to the finder after the installer started.

If the installer is in the foreground, the "change discs"-dialog
prevents changing them by hand, and the slide did not open. With the
finder in the foreground i was able to manually change the discs and the

installation completed. You have to get the finder into the foreground
before the installer orders you to swap the cd's.

Michael