Best games with a Mac port that doesn't suck?

Jamie Kahn Genet

Nov 7, 2008, 11:09:25 PM11/7/08
No offence, but I've had awful luck with Mac games since OSX - support
is quickly abandoned, patches are buggy (if any ever appear), expansions
fail to appear, etc, etc. Sim City 4 and CivIV for Mac are two very sore
points for me.

What's the current list of must have Mac ports that will run under
10.5.5 on an Intel Mac? Or am I better off sticking with with Boot Camp
and Fusion?

TIA,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Michael Ash

Nov 8, 2008, 8:14:45 AM11/8/08
In comp.sys.mac.games.strategic Jamie Kahn Genet <jam...@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:
> No offence, but I've had awful luck with Mac games since OSX - support
> is quickly abandoned, patches are buggy (if any ever appear), expansions
> fail to appear, etc, etc. Sim City 4 and CivIV for Mac are two very sore
> points for me.
>
> What's the current list of must have Mac ports that will run under
> 10.5.5 on an Intel Mac? Or am I better off sticking with with Boot Camp
> and Fusion?

I've been mostly sticking to old classics lately. Master of Orion II and
Close Combat II both run great in Fusion. Part of this is probably because
I'm prematurely becoming an old coot who can't enjoy anything new, but
part of it is due to what you're saying.

One game I have enjoyed a lot recently is the Penny Arcade game, of which
two parts are now available. It takes a certain mindset to enjoy the game,
full of profanity and other unusual things for an adventure game, and if
you don't like their comics then you probably won't like their game. But
for me, I've found it to be pretty well put together, and tremendously
funny. They are kind of short, but the Mac port is pretty well made and at
$15 per episode the price is right.

Although I've largely abandoned it in favor of real airplanes, X-Plane is
another well-supported port. (Actually, it's not even a port, they simply
have always built a Mac version too.) Although its users would probably
stone me if they found me calling it a "game", it can still be a lot of
fun if you like aviation and don't need to blow things up to enjoy
yourself. You can fly online with other people by using plugins and that
adds a lot to the experience.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

Michael Emrys

Nov 8, 2008, 8:59:38 AM11/8/08
On 2008-11-08 05:14:45 -0800, Michael Ash <mi...@mikeash.com> said:

> ...X-Plane is another well-supported port. (Actually, it's not even a

> port, they simply
> have always built a Mac version too.)

In fact, didn't it begin life as a Mac-only sim? I may be confusing it
with some others, but I have a vague recollection of something like
that.

Michael

Jamie Kahn Genet

Nov 8, 2008, 7:21:32 PM11/8/08
Michael Emrys <em...@olypen.com> wrote:

I'm still happy enough with Flight Unlimited II, heh :-)

Michael Ash

Nov 8, 2008, 8:33:07 PM11/8/08

I think you may be right. But that was so long ago (it's on version 9
now!) that it probably doesn't matter too much. Still, it works on Mac OS
X pretty much the same as on Windows (and better than their Linux port,
which they can't seem to decide just how well they want to support), and
they're total Mac-heads who are committed to supporting the platform.

Rufus

Nov 9, 2008, 6:31:23 PM11/9/08

Yes - as I recall it's a PC-port.

--
- Rufus

Joseph Nebus

Nov 12, 2008, 11:32:07 AM11/12/08
Michael Ash <mi...@mikeash.com> writes:

>In comp.sys.mac.games.strategic Jamie Kahn Genet <jam...@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:
>> What's the current list of must have Mac ports that will run under
>> 10.5.5 on an Intel Mac? Or am I better off sticking with with Boot Camp
>> and Fusion?

>I've been mostly sticking to old classics lately. Master of Orion II and
>Close Combat II both run great in Fusion. Part of this is probably because
>I'm prematurely becoming an old coot who can't enjoy anything new, but
>part of it is due to what you're saying.

I regret to say I've got similarly little advice to give. I
haven't tried Master of Orion II on my current Mac, though, but to
think of it the game probably runs delightfully speedily now.

(Did anyone ever figure out what we were supposed to do with
Master Of Orion III besides click 'end of turn'?)

Also I'm afraid I haven't been buying many of any games lately.
I finally started playing enough Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 to understand
its charms and learn how to build a roller coaster, though. A friend
who's a roller coaster enthusiast says she likes my generous use of
'trick track' --- that's where the track tilts to one side and back
again swiftly, regardless of whether the direction changes --- and how
I can get a ride with high excitement without a high intensity. This
is because I delete the coasters that turn out to have intensity 15.9,
which is high enough to cause deceased people to run fleeing from it.
You can actually see the Sims^W Peeps stare in terror at such rides.

--
Joseph Nebus

Michael Ash

Nov 12, 2008, 12:50:51 PM11/12/08
In comp.sys.mac.games.strategic Joseph Nebus <nebusj-@-rpi-.edu> wrote:
> Michael Ash <mi...@mikeash.com> writes:
>
>>In comp.sys.mac.games.strategic Jamie Kahn Genet <jam...@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:
>>> What's the current list of must have Mac ports that will run under
>>> 10.5.5 on an Intel Mac? Or am I better off sticking with with Boot Camp
>>> and Fusion?
>
>>I've been mostly sticking to old classics lately. Master of Orion II and
>>Close Combat II both run great in Fusion. Part of this is probably because
>>I'm prematurely becoming an old coot who can't enjoy anything new, but
>>part of it is due to what you're saying.
>
> I regret to say I've got similarly little advice to give. I
> haven't tried Master of Orion II on my current Mac, though, but to
> think of it the game probably runs delightfully speedily now.

On my Mac Pro there is basically no waiting for anything at any stage of
the game. I imagine the same would be true of any Intel Mac.

> (Did anyone ever figure out what we were supposed to do with
> Master Of Orion III besides click 'end of turn'?)

Chuck it in the trash?

I concluded that the designers had come up with an excellent simulation of
a UK-style constitutional monarchy. The only trouble being that the player
plays the role of the king or queen, and therefore has no real effect on
anything. Quite a disappointment!

I realize this is off the subject of the "Mac" part of these groups,
but... does anyone have a recommendation of a modern MoO-style game that's
actually good? Mac, Windows, or whatever. MoOII is still great fun to play
but it's really very flawed in so many ways. I'd love to have a modern
version of it with better graphics, smarter AI, less painful
micromanagement, but still basically the same game. I did try out Galactic
Civilizations II which got a lot of praise, but it turned out to be fairly
different and I couldn't really get into it. Maybe I should try harder....

Jamie Kahn Genet

Nov 13, 2008, 12:03:37 PM11/13/08
Michael Ash <mi...@mikeash.com> wrote:

> In comp.sys.mac.games.strategic Joseph Nebus <nebusj-@-rpi-.edu> wrote:
> > Michael Ash <mi...@mikeash.com> writes:

> >>I've been mostly sticking to old classics lately. Master of Orion II and
> >>Close Combat II both run great in Fusion. Part of this is probably because
> >>I'm prematurely becoming an old coot who can't enjoy anything new, but
> >>part of it is due to what you're saying.
> >
> > I regret to say I've got similarly little advice to give. I
> > haven't tried Master of Orion II on my current Mac, though, but to
> > think of it the game probably runs delightfully speedily now.
>
> On my Mac Pro there is basically no waiting for anything at any stage of
> the game. I imagine the same would be true of any Intel Mac.

As I said in another thread in comp.sys.mac.games.strategic, MOO2 in
DOSBox is BLAZING fast on my Intel iMac. It's TOO fast, really :-D I
like and grew to rely on the waits between turns to plot my next few
moves. Now there is no wait. None at all! Heh.

> > (Did anyone ever figure out what we were supposed to do with
> > Master Of Orion III besides click 'end of turn'?)
>
> Chuck it in the trash?
>
> I concluded that the designers had come up with an excellent simulation of
> a UK-style constitutional monarchy. The only trouble being that the player
> plays the role of the king or queen, and therefore has no real effect on
> anything. Quite a disappointment!
>
> I realize this is off the subject of the "Mac" part of these groups,
> but... does anyone have a recommendation of a modern MoO-style game that's
> actually good? Mac, Windows, or whatever. MoOII is still great fun to play
> but it's really very flawed in so many ways. I'd love to have a modern
> version of it with better graphics, smarter AI, less painful
> micromanagement, but still basically the same game. I did try out Galactic
> Civilizations II which got a lot of praise, but it turned out to be fairly
> different and I couldn't really get into it. Maybe I should try harder....

Well I won't be any help :-D I'm still playing Civ I - IV (Windows
versions under Fusion), MOO 1 & 2 (DOSBox), and SMAC/X (Mac version with
the carbon patch because I can't find the Windows version of SMACX).
Carbon SMAC/X has a saving bug (crashes when you try to manually save),
but that is worked around by using autosaves. Other than that I've not
had any trouble playing them :-)

I would quite like to fire up Imperialism II, but I only have the PPC
Mac version. Anyone tried the old Windows version under Fusion?

I suppose I'd be keen to try something new, so I'm going to go OT along
with Michael and ask what's new and worth my time in TBS games -
especially space ones since Civ I - IV have held up well over time, but
MOO3 sucked and I'm unaware of a decent 'spiritual successor' to MOO2.

Regards,

InVein

Dec 2, 2008, 8:33:43 AM12/2/08
On 2008-11-08 05:09:25 +0100, jam...@wizardling.geek.nz (Jamie Kahn
Genet) said:

> No offence, but I've had awful luck with Mac games since OSX - support
> is quickly abandoned, patches are buggy (if any ever appear), expansions
> fail to appear, etc, etc. Sim City 4 and CivIV for Mac are two very sore
> points for me.
>
> What's the current list of must have Mac ports that will run under
> 10.5.5 on an Intel Mac? Or am I better off sticking with with Boot Camp
> and Fusion?
>
> TIA,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

i really love the PopCap games and the new World of Goo by 2dboy.com!
small but really well made games that make you an addict!
Furthermore there are these "big" games like Call of Duty 4...and civ
4, i never encountered any problems

happy gaming
Manuel Z.

Joseph Nebus

Dec 4, 2008, 2:39:00 PM12/4/08
InVein <nnph...@gmx.net> writes:

>On 2008-11-08 05:09:25 +0100, jam...@wizardling.geek.nz (Jamie Kahn
>Genet) said:

>> No offence, but I've had awful luck with Mac games since OSX - support
>> is quickly abandoned, patches are buggy (if any ever appear), expansions
>> fail to appear, etc, etc. Sim City 4 and CivIV for Mac are two very sore
>> points for me.

>i really love the PopCap games and the new World of Goo by 2dboy.com!

>small but really well made games that make you an addict!
>Furthermore there are these "big" games like Call of Duty 4...and civ
>4, i never encountered any problems

You know, I don't remember encountering any problems with
Civilization IV, although I haven't played much of it. Hm.

Maybe it was putting the time report in when the game ends
that did it. It's one thing to know I spent all week on a game;
it's another to have the tally.

On the other hand it can be fun to measure absolutely
everything.

--
Joseph Nebus

Irfus

Apr 10, 2009, 4:17:45 PM4/10/09

I'll add my vote for stuff like WoGoo. Very addictive and fun.