UT X: any news ?

Serge

Feb 25, 2002, 1:04:53 PM2/25/02
Glenda,
I read a lot about Westlake, Harry Porter released, the Miller Project, etc.
But, like a lot of the Mac gamers around, I would like to know if there is
any news about the status of UT X ?
Thanks in advance.
Best regards

P.S.: Any clue about the project "Miller" ?

Glenda Adams

Feb 26, 2002, 12:19:18 PM2/26/02
In article <B8A00315.4F9F%se...@mac.com>, Serge <se...@mac.com> wrote:

> I read a lot about Westlake, Harry Porter released, the Miller Project, etc.
> But, like a lot of the Mac gamers around, I would like to know if there is
> any news about the status of UT X ?

I've been kinda busy with Undying lately, but I have fixed a few things
in UT X (mouse buttons/mouse wheels mainly). I still need to roll the
new sound code in and go through the bug reports to see what other
things I can fix in a short order. I got stuck on the mouse
sensitiviting issue for a while (no luck fixing it yet :( ), but I'm
putting that on the backburner for now.

I do plan to release another preview when I've got a reasonable amount
of new stuff in it.

Glenda

--
Glenda Adams
President, Westlake Interactive (http://www.westlakeinteractive.com)

Shareware development: Maverick Software (http://homepage.mac.com/mavsftwre)

ted

Feb 26, 2002, 10:39:58 PM2/26/02
Hello Glenda,

I have a question about Undying I hope you can answer. I downloaded and tried
out the demo on my PC and thought the game was pretty good, except (and this is a
BIG except) I found it completely unplayable because I couldn't change the
controls to have my weapon in my RIGHT hand. Trying to use it in my left had was
just too awkward. Will your version allow for the switching of weapon hands? If
this hasn't been brought up before, I like to submit this would make the game
much, MUCH better.

Thanks for all your had work for the Mac gaming community.

best,
ted

Glenda Adams wrote:

--
"your a looser" <------- typical Counter Strike insult

Glenda Adams

Feb 27, 2002, 9:35:25 AM2/27/02
In article <3C7C8002...@mediaone.net>, ted <tl...@mediaone.net>
wrote:

> I have a question about Undying I hope you can answer. I downloaded and
> tried
> out the demo on my PC and thought the game was pretty good, except (and this
> is a
> BIG except) I found it completely unplayable because I couldn't change the
> controls to have my weapon in my RIGHT hand. Trying to use it in my left had
> was
> just too awkward. Will your version allow for the switching of weapon hands?
> If
> this hasn't been brought up before, I like to submit this would make the game
> much, MUCH better.

Do you mean just to visually change which side of the screen the weapon
hand is? As far as I can tell there isn't any support in the game for
that, and it is pretty dependent on the artwork in the game, so it
wouldn't be easy to change. I'm not even sure how it would make a
difference where the weapon shows up, you always aim with the crosshair
that is centered in the middle of the screen either way.

If you just mean which hand you use on the keyboard, you should be able
to re-assign all the keys.

jess

Feb 27, 2002, 4:32:23 PM2/27/02
I have not played/seen this game, but I think a vital part of gameplay is the connection
between our eyes and hands. If someone is playing with their right hand, and the screen
shows the left hand, it can feel awkward. I use my right hand, (in UT) but my screen
hand is in the center, because even the right side "bothers" me.

I think it would be a wise thing to include a right handed feature- is the gameplay so great that
it would make up for the loss of the player's comfort/satisfaction? Would it be that difficult
to add a right side and even a center to the game? At least tell them there'll be an patch/update
in the future....

Chris Redden

Feb 27, 2002, 5:20:48 PM2/27/02
jess <je...@art4media.com> wrote:

> I have not played/seen this game, but I think a vital part of gameplay is the
> connection
> between our eyes and hands. If someone is playing with their right hand, and
> the screen
> shows the left hand, it can feel awkward. I use my right hand, (in UT) but my
> screen
> hand is in the center, because even the right side "bothers" me.

I find it even easier to play without the weapon showing at all. It also
increases the framerate and gives you more visible area. I have never
played this game in particular, so I'm talking in general. I'm not even
sure if you can disable it in this game.

Alt-X

Feb 27, 2002, 10:03:49 PM2/27/02
blah, don't be a wimp.

I played Counter Strike with the weapons on the left for years untill i
found out there is a console command to swap it. It's no big deal (i can't
see how it would make the game unplayable!) gezz...

"jess" <je...@art4media.com> wrote in message

ted

Feb 27, 2002, 10:36:13 PM2/27/02
Thanks for your response.

"Do you mean just to visually change which side of the screen the weapon hand is?"

Yes.

best,
ted

Glenda Adams wrote:

Glenda Adams

Feb 28, 2002, 9:11:43 AM2/28/02
In article <3C7D5001...@art4media.com>, jess <je...@art4media.com>
wrote:

> I think it would be a wise thing to include a right handed feature- is the
> gameplay so great that
> it would make up for the loss of the player's comfort/satisfaction? Would it
> be that difficult
> to add a right side and even a center to the game? At least tell them
> there'll be an patch/update
> in the future....

ACtually yes it could be VERY difficult to do in a game that wasn't
designed to support it. It's very unlikely Undying will ever support
switching hands, sorry.