Gotta Give Origin Credit -- They're at least listenin'

Christopher Schweda

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
I agree with much that has been said here with regard to Origin and its
tardy Mac ports. I think the only they'll get major Mac dollars is to
commit fully to the Macintosh. And what that means is this: simultaneous
DOS/MAC releases, normal Macintosh catalog advertising, and high-quality
conversions as opposed to sloppy ports.

Frankly, any company that wants to develop games for the Mac and doesn't
realize that 90% of all Mac users buy from either catalogs or Cyberian
Outpost, doesn't deserve a penny in sales.

However, I give Origin credit for one thing: Bruce B. has been on here
nearly every day monitoring the newsgroup and giving *public* feedback.
Moreover, he's is not offering excuses or trying to candy-coat problems.
You don't see that much -- if at all.

For that alone, my respect for Origin has grown ten-fold. In fact, I'm
astonished that more Mac companies don't use usenet the way that Bruce B.
has been using it this past week.

Kudos to Origin.

Chris

---
Christopher Schweda
Chicago IL
sch...@wwa.com

Kevin Armstrong

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
In article <schweda-2002...@pool5-050.wwa.com>, sch...@wwa.com
(Christopher Schweda) wrote:

>However, I give Origin credit for one thing: Bruce B. has been on here
>nearly every day monitoring the newsgroup and giving *public* feedback.
>Moreover, he's is not offering excuses or trying to candy-coat problems.
>You don't see that much -- if at all.

Yeah well, Bruce spends too much time on the internet. =) But just so
people aren't too confused, Bruce works for Lion Entertainment. We aren't
part of Origin although we are currently working on Wing IV for the Mac.

>For that alone, my respect for Origin has grown ten-fold. In fact, I'm
>astonished that more Mac companies don't use usenet the way that Bruce B.
>has been using it this past week.

Chris De Salvo of MacPlay has used the internet quite a lot in the past.
The constant badgering he got when Wolf 3D was about to ship was
incredible. So it isn't unheard of, but it would be nice if other
companies used it more. But after the Wolf fiasco, I don't blame them for
not using the internet more.

>Kudos to Origin.

Origin does deserve some credit. They have definately shown us at Lion
that they are concerned that they aren't selling more Mac games. Origin
is very familiar with the PC game market. The PC game market is much
larger, obviously, but it also has a different distribution channel. The
folks at Origin know that now and will fix it for Wing IV. I know that
Bruce is workingto make sure the same marketing mistakes won't be made
again.

If you haven't done so already, check out the survey at Origin's WWW
site. Although I can't find it right now. I have no idea how to get to
Origin through the EA Web page. That thing is a mess. So, could some
supply the URL again?

>Christopher Schweda
>Chicago IL
>sch...@wwa.com

Kevin Armstrong
Lion Entertainment, Inc.

Julian Yip-Khoon Koh

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
(Christopher Schweda) wrote:

> I'm
> astonished that more Mac companies don't use usenet the way that Bruce B.
> has been using it this past week.

Not to mention Apple itself could spend a little more time here. Again,
thanks to Bruce, who has helped me with a couple of my own questions.
Your efforts are much appreciated.

Julian Yip-Khoon Koh |Technology Support Services|"I liked your house
Northwestern University |Consultant Leader/Rescon | and Wisconsin."
Tech BME BS96, MS97 |Administrative Assistant | -J.P.
Phone/Fax: 847-332-5466 |koh...@nwu.edu |
WWW Home Page: <http://oasis.res-hall.nwu.edu/WWW/> |

Stephen Wong

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
In article <schweda-2002...@pool5-050.wwa.com>,
sch...@wwa.com (Christopher Schweda) wrote:

>I agree with much that has been said here with regard to Origin and its
>tardy Mac ports. I think the only they'll get major Mac dollars is to
>commit fully to the Macintosh. And what that means is this: simultaneous
>DOS/MAC releases, normal Macintosh catalog advertising, and high-quality
>conversions as opposed to sloppy ports.

<snip>

>Kudos to Origin.

Well, I bought WCIII and so far it's O.K. compare to some of the ports. But
like a true Mac user I would prefer the graphics especially the QT movies
to be re-rendered. Perhaps Origin is trying to gauge the Mac market before
going further. If it's true that Origin is abandoning the Mac market, I am
disappointed. They should give it another shot but take note of the
graphics and text. The PC users by traditional are not bothered about
graphic: most of the machines aren't capable of displaying quality
resolution anyway but the Mac users are more appreciative of the better
side of things.

Steve

Bruce Burkhalter

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
(Christopher Schweda) wrote:

> I agree with much that has been said here with regard to Origin and its
> tardy Mac ports. I think the only they'll get major Mac dollars is to
> commit fully to the Macintosh. And what that means is this: simultaneous
> DOS/MAC releases, normal Macintosh catalog advertising, and high-quality
> conversions as opposed to sloppy ports.
>

> Frankly, any company that wants to develop games for the Mac and doesn't
> realize that 90% of all Mac users buy from either catalogs or Cyberian
> Outpost, doesn't deserve a penny in sales.
>

> However, I give Origin credit for one thing: Bruce B. has been on here
> nearly every day monitoring the newsgroup and giving *public* feedback.
> Moreover, he's is not offering excuses or trying to candy-coat problems.
> You don't see that much -- if at all.
>

> For that alone, my respect for Origin has grown ten-fold. In fact, I'm

> astonished that more Mac companies don't use usenet the way that Bruce B.
> has been using it this past week.
>

> Kudos to Origin.

Thanks for the nice words but I don't work for Origin! I work for Lion
Entertainment. Origin is very interested in what is going on though.
Obviously they want to sell more of Wing IV than Wing III and hopefully
all this feedback will help them do things better this time.

Bruce Burkhalter
che...@eden.com
Lion Entertainment (developers of Wing Commander III & IV Macintosh)

Bruce Burkhalter

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
In article <AD50F65D...@j2.brf51.jaring.my>, ste...@emas.pc.my
(Stephen Wong) wrote:

> Well, I bought WCIII and so far it's O.K. compare to some of the ports. But
> like a true Mac user I would prefer the graphics especially the QT movies
> to be re-rendered. Perhaps Origin is trying to gauge the Mac market before
> going further. If it's true that Origin is abandoning the Mac market, I am
> disappointed. They should give it another shot but take note of the
> graphics and text. The PC users by traditional are not bothered about
> graphic: most of the machines aren't capable of displaying quality
> resolution anyway but the Mac users are more appreciative of the better
> side of things.

Wing III PC did 640x480x256 color graphics. Wing IV PC (and Mac) will
have 16-bit video movies with 16-bit stereo sound. Spaceflight will be
640x480x256 colors. Most PC games now have a 640x480x256 color option.
Some have even higher resolutions.

Al Carnley

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
In article <karm-21029...@jake-7e.ip.realtime.net>, ka...@realtime.com
> If you haven't done so already, check out the survey at Origin's WWW
> site. Although I can't find it right now. I have no idea how to get to
> Origin through the EA Web page. That thing is a mess. So, could some
> supply the URL again?
>
> >Christopher Schweda
> >Chicago IL
> >sch...@wwa.com
>
> Kevin Armstrong
> Lion Entertainment, Inc.

http://www.ea.com/origin.html

Wraithe

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
In article <cheese-2102...@net-1-161.austin.eden.com>,

che...@eden.com (Bruce Burkhalter) wrote:
> Thanks for the nice words but I don't work for Origin! I work for Lion
> Entertainment. Origin is very interested in what is going on though.
> Obviously they want to sell more of Wing IV than Wing III and hopefully
> all this feedback will help them do things better this time.

Well, you're definately helping.

As I said over in C.S.M.Flight-Sims, WCIII was next on my purchase
list, now that I've finished Marathon2, and it from all the feedback I've
seen from you on teh various mac Groups, it'll _truly_ have to suck for me
to not give WCIV it's day in court.(as I don't think speed'll be a problem
on a 8100/100 :))

Additionally, I took the survey over at Origin, and I hope they're
getting that info to you folks at Lion. If you guys can make WCIV run on
the '040's the PPC's should smoke.

Keep up the Good work!

-Ian

--
+==========================================================================+
| "Ian".."Wraithe"...pick one | "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the |

Bill Leonard

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
In article <acarnley-220...@jcobb2.origin.ea.com>,
acar...@origin.ea.com (Al Carnley) wrote:

> http://www.ea.com/origin.html
To Al's and Origin's credit, Origin's web site is great. Very clear, easy
to navigate, and it actually lists the Mac products!

Who does EA's web site anyway?? Some 12 year old new to computing? It
looks and works like crap.

Bill Leonard - bil...@magicnet.net
cyber.lab g.f.x.
Orlando, Florida

Michael Tosberg (Roderich)

Feb 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/24/96

> As I said over in C.S.M.Flight-Sims, WCIII was next on my purchase
> list, now that I've finished Marathon2, and it from all the feedback I've
> seen from you on teh various mac Groups, it'll _truly_ have to suck for me
> to not give WCIV it's day in court.(as I don't think speed'll be a problem
> on a 8100/100 :))

> -Ian

Ohoh, don't be too overconfident. There were times when my 7100/66 AV was
almost as good, now its a low-end PowerMac, sniff. ;)

Roderich

--
e-mail: rod...@berlin.snafu.de

polywog

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
Stop complaining I have a Powermac/6100/60. !I bought it two years ago
and it's outdated already! Next year I am buying a Micron pc 180
Megahertz. I had to buy a CD ROM drive for extra because this model
didn't come with a CD ROM.

Paul Secic

Zachary Norwood

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
In article <3130E6...@tdl.com>, pol...@tdl.com wrote:

唄top complaining I have a Powermac/6100/60. !I bought it two years ago
餌nd it's outdated already! Next year I am buying a Micron pc 180
窺egahertz. I had to buy a CD ROM drive for extra because this model
嬰idn't come with a CD ROM.

Next comp I buy will have to be a multi platform one. Just think, running
the MacOS... and the BeBox OS... and x-windows/unix stuff all on one comp.
ZPN