DI-514 and Airport

fishfry

Dec 20, 2003, 12:22:40 AM12/20/03
If anyone buys a D-Link DI-514 802.11b router ($49 at Amazon before a
$20 rebate!) and intends to use it with an Airport card, here's a tip
that will save you several frustrating hours on the phone with D-Link's
highly unhelpful tech support. I actually found this solution by
searching the Web while I was on hold.

Go to the Advanced panel, and select the Performance tab. Where it says
Preamble Type, select Long Preamble (the default is Short Preamble).

Without doing that, the DI-514 will not work with Airport.

Hope this saves someone some time.

CC Zona

Dec 21, 2003, 4:12:53 AM12/21/03
In article <BLOCKSPAMfishfry-46...@netnews.attbi.com>,
fishfry <BLOCKSPA...@your-mailbox.com> wrote:

Odd. Mine is set to short preamble, and has been working fine for some
time. Did D-Link suggest any reason for it not working with yours?

--
CC

fishfry

Dec 21, 2003, 5:39:56 PM12/21/03
In article <cczona-A1F292....@netnews.attbi.com>,
CC Zona <ccz...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

Interesting. Regular Airport, not extreme. D-Link never got close to
figuring this out. Most of my time was spent on hold, then whenever a
tech would get on the line they'd put me on hold and the line would
disconnect. Very frustrating tech support.

CC Zona

Dec 21, 2003, 5:54:36 PM12/21/03
In article <BLOCKSPAMfishfry-1A...@netnews.attbi.com>,
fishfry <BLOCKSPA...@your-mailbox.com> wrote:

> In article <cczona-A1F292....@netnews.attbi.com>,
> CC Zona <ccz...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > In article <BLOCKSPAMfishfry-46...@netnews.attbi.com>,
> > fishfry <BLOCKSPA...@your-mailbox.com> wrote:
> >
> > > If anyone buys a D-Link DI-514 802.11b router ($49 at Amazon before a
> > > $20 rebate!) and intends to use it with an Airport card, here's a tip
> > > that will save you several frustrating hours on the phone with D-Link's
> > > highly unhelpful tech support. I actually found this solution by
> > > searching the Web while I was on hold.
> > >
> > > Go to the Advanced panel, and select the Performance tab. Where it says
> > > Preamble Type, select Long Preamble (the default is Short Preamble).
> > >
> > > Without doing that, the DI-514 will not work with Airport.
> >
> > Odd. Mine is set to short preamble, and has been working fine for some
> > time. Did D-Link suggest any reason for it not working with yours?
>
> Interesting. Regular Airport, not extreme.

Me too. But it turns out I've got the DI-614+, not the 514. So maybe it's
normal for these two models to handle Airport differently.

> D-Link never got close to
> figuring this out. Most of my time was spent on hold, then whenever a
> tech would get on the line they'd put me on hold and the line would
> disconnect. Very frustrating tech support.

Yikes, that is bad news. Their inline help and online docs also were not
terribly helpful when I ran into problems.

--
CC

Tai

Dec 24, 2003, 2:07:26 AM12/24/03
CC Zona <ccz...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:<cczona-7E373B....@netnews.attbi.com>...

> In article <BLOCKSPAMfishfry-1A...@netnews.attbi.com>,
> fishfry <BLOCKSPA...@your-mailbox.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <cczona-A1F292....@netnews.attbi.com>,
> > CC Zona <ccz...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> > > Odd. Mine is set to short preamble, and has been working fine for some
> > > time. Did D-Link suggest any reason for it not working with yours?
> >
> > Interesting. Regular Airport, not extreme.
>
> Me too. But it turns out I've got the DI-614+, not the 514. So maybe it's
> normal for these two models to handle Airport differently.

Yep, no problem with a 614+ Amazon accidentally sent me vs. the 514 I
finally received today that required the Preamable to be "long". This
with an iBook g3/900 in OS 9.22, FWIW.

Kris Tilford

Dec 27, 2003, 11:44:03 PM12/27/03
I've got a DI-514 and the tip to change the preamble length was
EXACTLY correct. I was on hold for over an hour waiting for the D-Link
tech-rep. I'd just changed the preamble length as he said "Hello". I
needed nothing, it was working with my Airport card finally! I believe
there are many versions of "regular" Airport Cards, so perhaps some
versions need the long preamble and some don't? A friend's Toshiba PC
laptop also couldn't connect, so some PC cards also need the long
preamble.
On another subject, I have Cox cable modem and an AOL account. The AOL
for OS X won't sign-on correctly using a BYOA (bring-your-own-access)
over a cable modem connected to the WAN port of the DI-514. I have a
wired D-Link DI-704 which works perfectly, so I changed the default IP
addresses so that the two routers didn't share the same default, and
disabled the DHCP server in the DI-514, and connected it LAN
port-to-LAN port with the 704, and now I can sign-on to AOL for OS X
also, both wirelessly and wired. Kris Tilford
Message has been deleted

H.B. Elkins

Jan 8, 2004, 10:20:37 AM1/8/04
ktil...@aol.com (Kris Tilford) wrote:

>On another subject, I have Cox cable modem and an AOL account. The AOL
>for OS X won't sign-on correctly using a BYOA (bring-your-own-access)
>over a cable modem connected to the WAN port of the DI-514. I have a
>wired D-Link DI-704 which works perfectly, so I changed the default IP
>addresses so that the two routers didn't share the same default, and
>disabled the DHCP server in the DI-514, and connected it LAN
>port-to-LAN port with the 704, and now I can sign-on to AOL for OS X
>also, both wirelessly and wired. Kris Tilford

I have DSL from BellSouth and AOL. I also have a D-Link DI-614+ (not a
514 like yours) and cannot connect to AOL for OS X through the AirPort
card in my iBook.

I had no problems connecting through OS 9. I also have no problem
connecting with AOL 5.0 when running Classic in OS X. But the OS
X-native client won't connect at home. If I take my iBook to work and
plug into the T1 network, it's no problem at all to connect.

If I follow what you did correctly... You have your cable modem
connected to your wired router, therefore allowing the wired router to
be your DHCP server. You then connected your wireless router to the
wired router as a LAN device, disabled the server in the wireless
router, and let the wired router assign it an IP address. Then you
were able to sign on to AOL under the OS X native client.

Is that the only solution to getting AOL for X to connect when using
an AirPort card and a third-party wireless router?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
http://www.millenniumhwy.net hbelkins(at)mis.net

"There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
--Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt

Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!

To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

dcgao2004

Jan 25, 2004, 11:53:03 AM1/25/04
I really appreciate what you posted here since this was the exact
problem we had with a Toshiba Tablet with an intergrated wireless
card.
I changed the Preamble type and it worked immediately after almost
two days of struggle...What a relief!!!

So I write down "DI-514 and Toshiba Tablet" here as the key words and
hopefully it can help somebody elso who are trying to pull their hair
off
in front of the problem we had. This will also help those who tried
to help us but didn't succeed during the course, including the techs
within Toshiba who apparently did't know the solution and suggested us
to ship the unit back to the factory for diagnosis.