Does your Mac get hot when using Apple's live chat support?

Ant

Oct 18, 2016, 2:11:24 AM10/18/16
I was chatting with Apple's support about my technical issues in Mac OS
X v10.12/Sierra. I noticed my new 15" MBP got hot because of its Safari
v10 web browser's chat session, with its notifications, hogging CPU
(almost 100%). Even RAM usage was high like almost 500 MB. I only had
one two windows (chat pop-up + the support page) opened. I told the
agent about it, but he said it shouldn't be that high. A new bug in
Sierra or just my setup?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"I discovered that if one looks a little closer at this beautiful world,
there are always red ants underneath." --David Lynch

android

Oct 18, 2016, 3:19:40 AM10/18/16
In article <GqadnYR5z-CaIJjF...@earthlink.com>,
Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> I was chatting with Apple's support about my technical issues in Mac OS
> X v10.12/Sierra. I noticed my new 15" MBP got hot because of its Safari
> v10 web browser's chat session, with its notifications, hogging CPU
> (almost 100%). Even RAM usage was high like almost 500 MB. I only had
> one two windows (chat pop-up + the support page) opened. I told the
> agent about it, but he said it shouldn't be that high. A new bug in
> Sierra or just my setup?
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

So... You're all steamed up on this issue?
--
teleportation kills

Ant

Oct 18, 2016, 6:22:40 PM10/18/16
Haha. No, my new MBP was! I might try again later today. ;)
--
Quote of the Week: "I really believe I've been a good person. Not
perfect - forget about perfect - but just learning by what I was taught

Andreas Rutishauser

Oct 19, 2016, 12:02:41 AM10/19/16
Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> I was chatting with Apple's support about my technical issues in Mac OS
> X v10.12/Sierra. I noticed my new 15" MBP got hot because of its Safari
> v10 web browser's chat session, with its notifications, hogging CPU
> (almost 100%). Even RAM usage was high like almost 500 MB. I only had
> one two windows (chat pop-up + the support page) opened. I told the
> agent about it, but he said it shouldn't be that high. A new bug in
> Sierra or just my setup?

seems to be Sierra:
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/14/apples_macos_sierra_update/>

Cheers
Andreas

--
MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk

Lewis

Oct 19, 2016, 9:28:50 AM10/19/16
In message <GqadnYR5z-CaIJjF...@earthlink.com>
Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> I was chatting with Apple's support about my technical issues in Mac OS
> X v10.12/Sierra. I noticed my new 15" MBP got hot because of its Safari
> v10 web browser's chat session, with its notifications, hogging CPU
> (almost 100%). Even RAM usage was high like almost 500 MB.

500MB is not high RAM usage.

As for CPU, remember that 100% CPU on a mmodern MBP means "1/8th of the
CPU power). The onyl reason Safari would be that high would be because
of the chat, or you had Flash running somewhere.

> I only had one two windows (chat pop-up + the support page) opened. I
> told the agent about it, but he said it shouldn't be that high. A new
> bug in Sierra or just my setup?

Did the processor use drop when you closed the chat? I have 6 tabs open
and Safari is using 0.5% CPU (out of 8 virtual cores).

--
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - Mohandas
Gandhi

Lewis

Oct 19, 2016, 9:33:07 AM10/19/16
In message <andreas-4988C0...@news.individual.de>
Andreas Rutishauser <and...@macandreas.ch> wrote:
> In article <GqadnYR5z-CaIJjF...@earthlink.com>,
> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:

>> I was chatting with Apple's support about my technical issues in Mac OS
>> X v10.12/Sierra. I noticed my new 15" MBP got hot because of its Safari
>> v10 web browser's chat session, with its notifications, hogging CPU
>> (almost 100%). Even RAM usage was high like almost 500 MB. I only had
>> one two windows (chat pop-up + the support page) opened. I told the
>> agent about it, but he said it shouldn't be that high. A new bug in
>> Sierra or just my setup?

> seems to be Sierra:
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/14/apples_macos_sierra_update/>

Thereg is not a valid source for anything having to do with Apple. They
are nothing more than clikcbait morons who provide wither no information
or a tiny percentage of information surrounded with utter bullshit.

My MBP ran hot for a day or two after installing 10.12, just like the
phone ran hot after installing iOS 10. Why? Because they do a huge
amount after a new install. This is not shocking to anyone who isn't
either dumb (a tech writer screaming about how terrible $NEW_OS is, for
example) or has a very short memory (regular user who has forgotten
10.11 or iOS 9).

--
A TRAINED APE COULD NOT TEACH GYM Bart chalkboard Ep. AABF15

Jolly Roger

Oct 19, 2016, 10:39:15 AM10/19/16
Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
> In message <andreas-4988C0...@news.individual.de>
> Andreas Rutishauser <and...@macandreas.ch> wrote:
>
>> seems to be Sierra:
>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/14/apples_macos_sierra_update/>
>
> Thereg is not a valid source for anything having to do with Apple. They
> are nothing more than clikcbait morons who provide wither no information
> or a tiny percentage of information surrounded with utter bullshit.

The Register is filled with wankers spewing sarcastic baseless tripe. It's
not a good source for anything but bullshit.

JR

Barry Margolin

Oct 19, 2016, 11:34:14 AM10/19/16
In article <e6pesi...@mid.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
> > In message <andreas-4988C0...@news.individual.de>
> > Andreas Rutishauser <and...@macandreas.ch> wrote:
> >
> >> seems to be Sierra:
> >> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/14/apples_macos_sierra_update/>
> >
> > Thereg is not a valid source for anything having to do with Apple. They
> > are nothing more than clikcbait morons who provide wither no information
> > or a tiny percentage of information surrounded with utter bullshit.
>
> The Register is filled with wankers spewing sarcastic baseless tripe. It's
> not a good source for anything but bullshit.

Don't sugar-coat it, tell us what you really think. :)

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Ant

Oct 19, 2016, 8:12:48 PM10/19/16
In comp.sys.mac.apps Andreas Rutishauser <and...@macandreas.ch> wrote:
> In article <GqadnYR5z-CaIJjF...@earthlink.com>,
> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> > I was chatting with Apple's support about my technical issues in Mac OS
> > X v10.12/Sierra. I noticed my new 15" MBP got hot because of its Safari
> > v10 web browser's chat session, with its notifications, hogging CPU
> > (almost 100%). Even RAM usage was high like almost 500 MB. I only had
> > one two windows (chat pop-up + the support page) opened. I told the
> > agent about it, but he said it shouldn't be that high. A new bug in
> > Sierra or just my setup?

> seems to be Sierra:
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/14/apples_macos_sierra_update/>

Thanks. I don't remember having this hogging Safari v10 problem in my
old 15" MBP (Retina; early 2013)'s Mac OS X v10.10.5/Yosemite. I wonder
if it will too since I upgraded it to mac OS Sierra v10.2 last night. :/
--
Quote of the Week: "I really believe I've been a good person. Not
perfect - forget about perfect - but just learning by what I was taught
and living by my own values. I might have stepped on a few ants - and a
few other things as well - but I've never hurt anybody." --Kiri Te
Kanawa
| |o o| |
\ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
( ) ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.

Ant

Oct 19, 2016, 8:14:12 PM10/19/16
In comp.sys.mac.apps Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
> In message <GqadnYR5z-CaIJjF...@earthlink.com>
> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> > I was chatting with Apple's support about my technical issues in Mac OS
> > X v10.12/Sierra. I noticed my new 15" MBP got hot because of its Safari
> > v10 web browser's chat session, with its notifications, hogging CPU
> > (almost 100%). Even RAM usage was high like almost 500 MB.

> 500MB is not high RAM usage.

> As for CPU, remember that 100% CPU on a mmodern MBP means "1/8th of the
> CPU power). The onyl reason Safari would be that high would be because
> of the chat, or you had Flash running somewhere.

No Flash running. Just two windows opened on Apple's chat support.

> > I only had one two windows (chat pop-up + the support page) opened. I
> > told the agent about it, but he said it shouldn't be that high. A new
> > bug in Sierra or just my setup?

> Did the processor use drop when you closed the chat? I have 6 tabs open
> and Safari is using 0.5% CPU (out of 8 virtual cores).

Yep! Only during chat. I even asked the guy during the chat. He said he
had reports of its CPU going up but not that high and hot.
--
Quote of the Week: "I really believe I've been a good person. Not
perfect - forget about perfect - but just learning by what I was taught
and living by my own values. I might have stepped on a few ants - and a
few other things as well - but I've never hurt anybody." --Kiri Te
Kanawa
| |o o| |
\ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
( ) ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.

Richard L. Hamilton

Oct 20, 2016, 4:43:54 AM10/20/16
Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> writes:
> I was chatting with Apple's support about my technical issues in Mac OS
> X v10.12/Sierra. I noticed my new 15" MBP got hot because of its Safari
> v10 web browser's chat session, with its notifications, hogging CPU
> (almost 100%). Even RAM usage was high like almost 500 MB. I only had
> one two windows (chat pop-up + the support page) opened. I told the
> agent about it, but he said it shouldn't be that high. A new bug in
> Sierra or just my setup?
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

Since only pervs get hot during chat, are you sayng your new MBP is a perv? :-)

--
ftp> get |fortune
377 I/O error: smart remark generator failed

Bogonics: the primary language inside the Beltway

Lasik/PRK theme music:
"In the Hall of the Mountain King", from "Peer Gynt"
(read act 2, scene 6 of the play if that doesn't make sense)

Barry Margolin

Oct 20, 2016, 11:10:29 AM10/20/16
In article <fJqdne8_QaXSkZXF...@earthlink.com>,
ANT...@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:

> In comp.sys.mac.apps Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
> > In message <GqadnYR5z-CaIJjF...@earthlink.com>
> > Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> > > I was chatting with Apple's support about my technical issues in Mac OS
> > > X v10.12/Sierra. I noticed my new 15" MBP got hot because of its Safari
> > > v10 web browser's chat session, with its notifications, hogging CPU
> > > (almost 100%). Even RAM usage was high like almost 500 MB.
>
> > 500MB is not high RAM usage.
>
> > As for CPU, remember that 100% CPU on a mmodern MBP means "1/8th of the
> > CPU power). The onyl reason Safari would be that high would be because
> > of the chat, or you had Flash running somewhere.
>
> No Flash running. Just two windows opened on Apple's chat support.

Sounds like the chat application makes use of frequent polling in
Javascript, rather than a more CPU-friendly technology like websockets.

Ant

Oct 20, 2016, 5:30:11 PM10/20/16
In comp.sys.mac.apps Richard L. Hamilton <rlh...@smart.net> wrote:
> In article <GqadnYR5z-CaIJjF...@earthlink.com>,
> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> writes:
> > I was chatting with Apple's support about my technical issues in Mac OS
> > X v10.12/Sierra. I noticed my new 15" MBP got hot because of its Safari
> > v10 web browser's chat session, with its notifications, hogging CPU
> > (almost 100%). Even RAM usage was high like almost 500 MB. I only had
> > one two windows (chat pop-up + the support page) opened. I told the
> > agent about it, but he said it shouldn't be that high. A new bug in
> > Sierra or just my setup?
> >
> > Thank you in advance. :)

> Since only pervs get hot during chat, are you sayng your new MBP is a perv? :-)

Hahaha. :)