Mail 6.6 & Gmail with OSX 10.8.5

alias

Aug 11, 2014, 4:08:36 PM8/11/14
I have a gmail account that works perfectly well via the gmail/google
website (ie., user/pass work fine)... But upon setting it up in my
Mail app on my Mac Pro running OSX 10.8.5, it doesn't work. I
consistently get the following message:

"Logging in to the Google IMAP server "imap.gmail.com" failed. Make
sure the user name and password you entered are correct, then click
Continue. If the information isn't correct, you cannot receive
messages."

I imagine I'm overlooking something obvious, but I can't figure it out.
I've reviewed and followed the setup instructions found here :

http://pop2imap.com/apple-mail-gmail.php

...making sure IMAP is enabled for the gmail account online, but
despite that, I get the same error messages.

I have other email accounts setup and running fine on Mail : me.com,
yahoo, verizon, etc.... but the gmail account never works and I can't
figure out what I may be missing...

Any thoughts or insights would be most welcome.

Thank you!

Barry Margolin

Aug 11, 2014, 6:06:25 PM8/11/14
In article <110820141308368833%sc...@scred.not>,
What does Connection Doctor show for imap.gmail.com?

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

alias

Aug 12, 2014, 12:29:48 AM8/12/14
In article <barmar-B6D394....@news.eternal-september.org>,
thank you for your reply...

for gmail 'google imap' and 'smtp' in connection doctor, it simply says
that the attempt to login to this account failed.... "verify that the
username and password are correct."

Tom Stiller

Aug 12, 2014, 9:52:48 AM8/12/14
Also check the port number and SSL connection box. Some versions
of Mail required the username to be the full username with the
'@gmail.com' appended and some didn't; try it both ways.

Barry Margolin

Aug 12, 2014, 10:35:07 AM8/12/14
In article <c4ukhf...@mid.individual.net>,
The version of Mail doesn't matter -- either the server requires the
full address or it doesn't.

The Google documentation, and various other websites, confirm that Gmail
wants @gmail.com in the username.

alias

Aug 12, 2014, 10:58:34 AM8/12/14
In article <barmar-A5FA58....@news.eternal-september.org>,
Thank you both for your comments and assistance. A little deeper
digging on this end led me to a solution... My problem apparently had
to do with using google's 2-step verification system. And this webpage
provided a solution :

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833

I can't say I fully understand all this, but Mail does seem to be
working okay w/gmail now. Thanks again!

alias

Aug 12, 2014, 11:03:21 AM8/12/14
In article <120820140758342914%sc...@scred.not>, alias
What I'm not clear on, however, is how to make Mail check/send mail for
a second different gmail account... The app specific google password
doesn't work for a second account, and neither does the gmail specific
password I've created online... hmmmm....
Message has been deleted

cdlo...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2015, 8:33:17 AM3/24/15
Easy.
Go to https://myaccount.google.com
Sign-in to your account.
Look for tab: Signing in < Access for less secure apps < Allowed
You're welcome.

lyns...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2015, 2:30:16 PM7/1/15
I tried EVERYTHING, but this totally worked for me! THANKS ----------<-<@

nats...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2015, 9:14:29 PM10/15/15
thank you that did it!

kah...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2015, 10:20:20 PM12/16/15
> > https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833
> >
> > I can't say I fully understand all this, but Mail does seem to be
> > working okay w/gmail now. Thanks again!
>
> What I'm not clear on, however, is how to make Mail check/send mail for
> a second different gmail account... The app specific google password
> doesn't work for a second account, and neither does the gmail specific
> password I've created online... hmmmm....

You need to go into your second account - and repeat the same process for an app-specific password. You can't rely on your other password for a separate account.

bigc...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2016, 1:03:18 PM1/30/16
On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 8:33:17 AM UTC-4, cdlo...@gmail.com wrote:
YES!!! thank you! I've been sitting here for hours trying to get my gmail back online after a password change
THANK YOU

alexand...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2018, 4:45:35 AM6/25/18
Works.