dotted-line font for tracing

antares

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
A kindergarten teacher has asked me to help her find a font to create
dotted-line worksheets for children to trace letters of the alphabet. I
have yet to find one (somehow I thought it would be quick and easy). Can
someone recommend a font for this purpose? Thanks.

respectfully,
antares

--
Life without a friend is death without a witness.

Barbarossa

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
In article <398F8D22...@email.com>,
antares <ant...@email.com> wrote:

>A kindergarten teacher has asked me to help her find a font to
>create dotted-line worksheets for children to trace letters of
>the alphabet. I have yet to find one (somehow I thought it
>would be quick and easy). Can someone recommend a font for this
>purpose? Thanks.

Barbarossa:

There are apps that will allow you to create or modify a font.
I believe 'Fontographer' is one, but it sounds like a lot of time
and expense.

Why don't you try an email to Marty, the guy that runs:

<http://www.scootergraphics.com>
--
_____________B_a_r_b_a_r_o_s_s_a____________ ;^{>
Wayne B. Hewitt Encinitas, CA whe...@ucsd.edu

Jason Parrish

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
wrote:

> A kindergarten teacher has asked me to help her find a font to create
> dotted-line worksheets for children to trace letters of the alphabet. I
> have yet to find one (somehow I thought it would be quick and easy). Can
> someone recommend a font for this purpose? Thanks.
>

> respectfully,
> antares
>
> --
> Life without a friend is death without a witness.

I got a set of fonts through an education catalog that had cursive and
manuscript trace fonts on lines. They are great as I can also make blank
lines with it for them to practice after they hav traced the letters.
The CD was Teacher's Fonts and the font collection I ourchased Was
called Primnary Fonts II. The company was Forest Technologies. A
number on the cd is 18005443356. I purchased them several years ago so I
have no idea if that number is still correct but it couldn't hurt to try.

J-

Magn0lia

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
wrote:

> A kindergarten teacher has asked me to help her find a font to create
> dotted-line worksheets for children to trace letters of the alphabet. I
> have yet to find one (somehow I thought it would be quick and easy). Can
> someone recommend a font for this purpose? Thanks.

The Primary or Primary II packages of
<http://www.ett.com/waycooltools/fonts/tfs.html> include what you're
looking for. Similar fonts are also included in some of the Apple
Learning Series bundles. <http://www.apple.com/education/learningseries/>

Posted & e-mailed; do not reply by e-mail.

--
Magn0lia <http://www.pedantic.com/>

chrisford

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
antares - if you have adobe illustrator, or macromedia freehand, you can
convert the fonts into outlines, and then apply a dotted line stroke.

that way, you can use any 'rounded' sans-serif font - something like vag
rounded may be good for young children.

hope the helps!

chrisford

antares <ant...@email.com> wrote in message

> A kindergarten teacher has asked me to help her find a font to create
> dotted-line worksheets for children to trace letters of the alphabet. I
> have yet to find one (somehow I thought it would be quick and easy). Can
> someone recommend a font for this purpose? Thanks.
>

> respectfully,
> antares

xxdesdemona

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
In article <39928c50$1...@nnrp1.news.uk.psi.net>, chrisford
<tigh...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> antares - if you have adobe illustrator, or macromedia freehand, you can
> convert the fonts into outlines, and then apply a dotted line stroke.
>

> antares <ant...@email.com> wrote in message
> > A kindergarten teacher has asked me to help her find a font to create
> > dotted-line worksheets for children to trace letters of the alphabet. I
> > have yet to find one (somehow I thought it would be quick and easy). Can
> > someone recommend a font for this purpose? Thanks.
> >
> > respectfully,
> > antares

If she is a teacher, she shouldn't get that complicated (and
expensive). There are fonts specifically designed to be traced.
Look at:
www.edresources.com

Also other good software for kids and hard to find elsewhere.

--desdemona
To respond by email, please remove xx and adastra. spam filter

Jason Parrish

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
In article <110820002209098788%xxple...@xxadastra.enteract.com>,
xxdesdemona <xxple...@xxadastra.enteract.com> wrote:

> > antares <ant...@email.com> wrote in message
> > > A kindergarten teacher has asked me to help her find a font to create
> > > dotted-line worksheets for children to trace letters of the alphabet.
> > > have yet to find one (somehow I thought it would be quick and easy).
> > > Can
> > > someone recommend a font for this purpose? Thanks.
> > >
> > > respectfully,
> > > antares
>
> If she is a teacher, she shouldn't get that complicated (and
> expensive). There are fonts specifically designed to be traced.
> Look at:
> www.edresources.com

SInce that site was mentioned I found the package I have that does just
what was asked about. It can be located here

<http://www.edresources.com/catalog/pdetail.cfm?Title=Teachers%27%20Fonts
%20Primary%20Fonts%20II>.

J-

bruc...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2015, 5:42:44 PM10/31/15

dne...@sasd.net

Mar 3, 2016, 4:22:13 PM3/3/16
On Saturday, October 31, 2015 at 4:42:44 PM UTC-5, bruc...@gmail.com wrote:
> https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Hello-Fonts-Personal-Non-Commercial-Use-301730
>
> http://www.fontspace.com/category/teachers

Can these fonts be imported/used in Google Docs, etc? Thanks.

22nsch...@nfv.k12.ia.us

Jun 30, 2016, 10:53:38 AM6/30/16
Try Codystar on google docs

rob...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2017, 12:32:39 PM3/14/17
Did you end up finding a good font to use within Google Docs? I don't need it to be dotted (I can turn it gray instead), but would like a

basic font that (no hat on the lower case "a", simple "Q", etc.)
has both upper and lower case,
that is correctly proportioned (most have the lower case letters too tall).

lisaj...@saintisidoreschool.org

Sep 21, 2017, 2:03:07 PM9/21/17
I use coming soon in google.

cr...@ttusd.org

Oct 25, 2017, 4:52:22 PM10/25/17
On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 7:53:38 AM UTC-7, 22nsch...@nfv.k12.ia.us wrote:
> Try Codystar on google docs

CODYSTAR ONLY HAS CAPITALS?? Is there a font that has both??

Your Name

Oct 25, 2017, 8:38:22 PM10/25/17
I don't know of a dotted-line font, but an alternative option might be
to use a normal font and change the colour or transparency so that it
looks very light.

frontde...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2018, 10:46:28 AM2/5/18
On Monday, August 7, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, antares wrote:
> A kindergarten teacher has asked me to help her find a font to create
> dotted-line worksheets for children to trace letters of the alphabet. I
> have yet to find one (somehow I thought it would be quick and easy). Can
> someone recommend a font for this purpose? Thanks.
>
> respectfully,
> antares
>
> --
> Life without a friend is death without a witness.

In GOOGLE DOCS there's a Font! It's called Raleway Dots! :) Lifesaver!! Just click on Fonts-at the bottom- Add Fonts- then search Raleway Dots. =) Enjoy!

Lewis

Feb 5, 2018, 7:42:06 PM2/5/18
Good job replying to a 17+ year old post!

--
"There's nothin' wrong with bein' a son of a bitch." -- Gaspode the
Wonder Dog

julie....@kentwoodps.org

Mar 18, 2018, 1:06:54 PM3/18/18
Thanks for helping me find Raleway Dots! I have been searching for something like that for a few years! :)

p016...@pdsb.net

Oct 19, 2018, 12:30:29 PM10/19/18
This reply helped me find the answer I needed as well!
Glad that they replied to an "ancient" post!!!

emma...@pallisersd.ab.ca

Jan 30, 2020, 9:57:05 PM1/30/20
Century Gothic works well too (except for "?")

jonathan...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2020, 2:56:56 PM4/16/20
I'm super late to this thread, but Codystar and Raleway Dots seem pretty good.

Another solution I have come up with to get tracing material that seems good is to use whatever font you want, but change the text color to a gray or off white color on top of which you can easily see pencil markings.

kays...@gmail.com

May 12, 2020, 3:12:50 PM5/12/20
Raleway has the wrong lower-case "a" for elementary students, as well as other letters

Jim Gibson

May 12, 2020, 10:27:11 PM5/12/20
In article <dcb25fe7-e341-45c2...@googlegroups.com>,
<kays...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 9:46:28 AM UTC-6, frontde...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Monday, August 7, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, antares wrote:
> > > A kindergarten teacher has asked me to help her find a font to create
> > > dotted-line worksheets for children to trace letters of the alphabet. I
> > > have yet to find one (somehow I thought it would be quick and easy). Can
> > > someone recommend a font for this purpose? Thanks.
> > >
> > > respectfully,
> > > antares
> > >
> > > --

> > In GOOGLE DOCS there's a Font! It's called Raleway Dots! :) Lifesaver!!
> > Just click on Fonts-at the bottom- Add Fonts- then search Raleway Dots. =)
> > Enjoy!
>
> Raleway has the wrong lower-case "a" for elementary students, as well as other letters

So search for "dot fonts". Here is a link from that result:

<https://www.fontspace.com/category/dotted>

The Trace font on that page looks like a good candidate.

--
Jim Gibson

LeighAnne Rohloff

Aug 19, 2020, 9:35:39 PM8/19/20
What about a font that has 3 lines for handwriting practice for kindergarteners? I have free versions from TPT and installed on my Mac, but it is frustrating that Google Slides/Docs doesn't have one yet to my knowledge? Thanks, lar

Ashley Baker-Koch

Nov 12, 2020, 8:08:41 PM11/12/20

Yes! I need this as well!

And while Raleway is better than nothing, the lower case a and w are wrong for teaching handwriting. I wish Google would get on this with so many of us creating digital content for distance learning right now!

Nicole Ray

Aug 14, 2022, 1:52:23 PM8/14/22
On Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 5:08:41 PM UTC-8, Ashley Baker-Koch wrote:
> Yes! I need this as well!
>
> And while Raleway is better than nothing, the lower case a and w are wrong for teaching handwriting. I wish Google would get on this with so many of us creating digital content for distance learning right now!

Here's a link to a free site where you can create custom worksheets. For example if you wanted to print custom practice pages for names you can use it. Notice that you can adjust how you want each line to show. You can have numbers on how to make each letter, you can do dots. Each line is individually selected. Once created, you can download a PDF. https://www.handwritingpractice.net/worksheets/print/create.php

Tammy Chaney

Sep 1, 2022, 12:24:38 AM9/1/22
Lousy job. It's been over 20 years and Google still hasn't given teachers a proper font for young writers with dots, arrows, guide lines, etc, like the Font 4 Teachers program did years ago.