htop for OS X

wightstraker

Dec 4, 2007, 10:50:54 AM12/4/07
I run a linux box as well as a few Macs and I was wondering if there
was anything similar to htop (http://htop.sourceforge.net/) available
for the OS X terminal? I ssh my macs frequently and it would be nice
to have a terminal-based system monitor as useful htop - regular old
top isn't really cutting it.

Tom Harrington

Dec 4, 2007, 11:41:10 AM12/4/07
In article
<ae222a27-7a4f-46ea...@v4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
wightstraker <johnao...@gmail.com> wrote:

Maybe you could describe what it is about htop that you like, instead of
expecting people to spend time studying a web site in order to answer
your question. If you want an answer, the burden's on you to ask a
meaningful question.

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Independent Mac OS X developer since 2002

wightstraker

Dec 4, 2007, 12:37:07 PM12/4/07
On Dec 4, 11:41 am, Tom Harrington <t...@pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net>
wrote:
> In article
> <ae222a27-7a4f-46ea-a682-e8aaf54b7...@v4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,

> wightstraker <johnaolms...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I run a linux box as well as a few Macs and I was wondering if there
> > was anything similar to htop (http://htop.sourceforge.net/) available
> > for the OS X terminal? I ssh my macs frequently and it would be nice
> > to have a terminal-based system monitor as useful htop - regular old
> > top isn't really cutting it.
>
> Maybe you could describe what it is about htop that you like, instead of
> expecting people to spend time studying a web site in order to answer
> your question. If you want an answer, the burden's on you to ask a
> meaningful question.
>
> --
> Tom "Tom" Harrington
> Independent Mac OS X developer since 2002http://www.atomicbird.com/

Thanks for the heads up, your condescension really helped make your
points clearer.

htop is similar to top except you can scroll through the tasks list
using the arrow keys. Common commands (such as kill) can be issued
within htop using the function keys. I prefer it to top because I can
manage my tasks without switching back and forth from the monitor to
the shell, or memorizing any PIDs.

I've had no luck finding anything similar for OS X, so any help would
be welcome.

Tom Stiller

Dec 4, 2007, 1:24:48 PM12/4/07
In article
<0d0adf12-dc89-4b05...@v4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
wightstraker <johnao...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 11:41 am, Tom Harrington <t...@pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net>
> wrote:
> > In article
> > <ae222a27-7a4f-46ea-a682-e8aaf54b7...@v4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
> >
> > wightstraker <johnaolms...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I run a linux box as well as a few Macs and I was wondering if there
> > > was anything similar to htop (http://htop.sourceforge.net/) available
> > > for the OS X terminal? I ssh my macs frequently and it would be nice
> > > to have a terminal-based system monitor as useful htop - regular old
> > > top isn't really cutting it.
> >
> > Maybe you could describe what it is about htop that you like, instead of
> > expecting people to spend time studying a web site in order to answer
> > your question. If you want an answer, the burden's on you to ask a
> > meaningful question.
> >

> Thanks for the heads up, your condescension really helped make your
> points clearer.
>
> htop is similar to top except you can scroll through the tasks list
> using the arrow keys. Common commands (such as kill) can be issued
> within htop using the function keys. I prefer it to top because I can
> manage my tasks without switching back and forth from the monitor to
> the shell, or memorizing any PIDs.
>
> I've had no luck finding anything similar for OS X, so any help would
> be welcome.

Doesn't Activity Monitor (/Application/Utilities) do what you want?

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3 7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

wightstraker

Dec 4, 2007, 1:49:41 PM12/4/07
On Dec 4, 1:24 pm, Tom Stiller <tomstil...@comcast.net> wrote:
> In article
> <0d0adf12-dc89-4b05-9d4c-5446bc2fd...@v4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,

Yes, but I can't use Activity Monitor when I'm using ssh to access my
mac remotely, then I have to work within the terminal. Correct me if
I'm mistaken. Thanks for your post -

Gregory Weston

Dec 4, 2007, 2:22:04 PM12/4/07

> On Dec 4, 11:41 am, Tom Harrington <t...@pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net>
> wrote:
> > In article
> > <ae222a27-7a4f-46ea-a682-e8aaf54b7...@v4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
> >
> > wightstraker <johnaolms...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I run a linux box as well as a few Macs and I was wondering if there
> > > was anything similar to htop (http://htop.sourceforge.net/) available
> > > for the OS X terminal? I ssh my macs frequently and it would be nice
> > > to have a terminal-based system monitor as useful htop - regular old
> > > top isn't really cutting it.
> >
> > Maybe you could describe what it is about htop that you like, instead of
> > expecting people to spend time studying a web site in order to answer
> > your question. If you want an answer, the burden's on you to ask a
> > meaningful question.
>

> Thanks for the heads up, your condescension really helped make your
> points clearer.

It wasn't condescension. It was a request for information that would be
helpful in meaningfully answering your question. If we don't know what
differences between top and htop you care about, we can't really provide
a good alternative. You may not have noticed, but the sourceforge site
for htop is godawful slow. I gave up trying to figure out what made htop
desirable in general, let alone for you specifically.

> htop is similar to top except you can scroll through the tasks list
> using the arrow keys. Common commands (such as kill) can be issued
> within htop using the function keys. I prefer it to top because I can
> manage my tasks without switching back and forth from the monitor to
> the shell, or memorizing any PIDs.

Don't know of any way to scroll, but you can reorder which might help
alleviate things. You can also send any signal you like to any process
using the stock OS X top.

wightstraker

Dec 4, 2007, 2:29:45 PM12/4/07
On Dec 4, 2:22 pm, Gregory Weston <u...@splook.com> wrote:
> In article
> <0d0adf12-dc89-4b05-9d4c-5446bc2fd...@v4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
>

> It wasn't condescension.

I don't mind what Tom said, just how he said it. No point arguing over
semantics though.

>You can also send any signal you like to any process
> using the stock OS X top.

How do you do that? Issuing kill within top would be a helpful
example. Thanks for your post.

Tom Stiller

Dec 4, 2007, 2:43:41 PM12/4/07
In article
<3c603b70-eeef-405a...@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
wightstraker <johnao...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, but I can't use Activity Monitor when I'm using ssh to access my
> mac remotely, then I have to work within the terminal. Correct me if
> I'm mistaken. Thanks for your post -

I don't know what your workflow is, but I use VNC (tunneled through SSH)
to communicate with my remote hosts. In that environment, I can launch
any Mac Application.

Barry Margolin

Dec 4, 2007, 2:47:05 PM12/4/07
In article
<5eb9a5cb-7fa2-432f...@d61g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
wightstraker <johnao...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2:22 pm, Gregory Weston <u...@splook.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <0d0adf12-dc89-4b05-9d4c-5446bc2fd...@v4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,

> >You can also send any signal you like to any process
> > using the stock OS X top.
>
> How do you do that? Issuing kill within top would be a helpful
> example. Thanks for your post.

Another option is to use VNC to bring up a remote GUI, and then use
Activity Monitor.

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

wightstraker

Dec 4, 2007, 2:49:06 PM12/4/07
On Dec 4, 2:43 pm, Tom Stiller <tomstil...@comcast.net> wrote:
> In article
> <3c603b70-eeef-405a-b0c0-99be182df...@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,

Is the free version of VNC useful? Do I need X11 to run it?

Tom Stiller

Dec 4, 2007, 2:56:24 PM12/4/07
In article
<0457dadd-02bd-453f...@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
wightstraker <johnao...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes; no.

william mitchell

Dec 4, 2007, 4:22:05 PM12/4/07
If you have any C coding experience you could also consider looking at
the source and seeing how hard it would be to port. I suspect that
only a small part - the system calls to obtain the data and the
initial parsing of it - would have to be changed.

- Bill Mitchell

wightstraker

Dec 4, 2007, 5:16:29 PM12/4/07
I have a lot to work with here; thanks all for your helpful advice.

> Yes; no.

Perfect!

>If you have any C coding experience you could also consider looking at
>the source and seeing how hard it would be to port.

I'm not nearly clever enough.

Thanks again -

Shawn Hirn

Dec 5, 2007, 7:46:43 AM12/5/07

Why not just use the Applications manager that is installed in the
Utilities folder by default in Mac OS X? Based on your description, it
does everything you asked for.

Warren Oates

Dec 5, 2007, 5:33:43 PM12/5/07
In article <m2mysqj...@odetta.local>,
william mitchell <mitc...@odetta.local> wrote:

> If you have any C coding experience you could also consider looking at
> the source and seeing how hard it would be to port. I suspect that
> only a small part - the system calls to obtain the data and the
> initial parsing of it - would have to be changed.

At the moment htop uses the /proc filesystem. Good luck.
--
W. Oates

Barry Margolin

Dec 5, 2007, 11:09:46 PM12/5/07
In article <srhi-41B53B.0...@newsgroups.comcast.net>,
Shawn Hirn <sr...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Why not just use the Applications manager that is installed in the

I assume you mean Activity Monitor.

> Utilities folder by default in Mac OS X? Based on your description, it
> does everything you asked for.

Except that it requires a GUI, and he specifically said that he's
accessing his Mac remotely via SSH. So he also needs to use a remote
desktop application, like VNC.