Charging a Device From the USB Port of a Sleeping iMac

Wade Garrett

Feb 26, 2022, 4:25:45 PM2/26/22
Do the USB ports on a *sleeping* iMac put out any/enough current to
charge a plugged in Magic Mouse 2 or Magic Keyboard?

Lewis

Feb 27, 2022, 10:08:10 AM2/27/22
In message <sve5sm$b29$1...@dont-email.me> Wade Garrett <Wa...@cooler.net> wrote:
> Do the USB ports on a *sleeping* iMac put out any/enough current to
> charge a plugged in Magic Mouse 2 or Magic Keyboard?

Depends on the Mac.

Easiest way to tel is to check if the USB ports still have power at all
when the Mac is asleep.

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"I think so, Brain, but calling it pu-pu platter? Huh, what were they

Wade Garrett

Feb 27, 2022, 12:16:16 PM2/27/22
On 2/27/22 10:08 AM, Lewis wrote:
> In message <sve5sm$b29$1...@dont-email.me> Wade Garrett <Wa...@cooler.net> wrote:
>> Do the USB ports on a *sleeping* iMac put out any/enough current to
>> charge a plugged in Magic Mouse 2 or Magic Keyboard?
>
> Depends on the Mac.
>
> Easiest way to tel is to check if the USB ports still have power at all
> when the Mac is asleep.

Yeah, definitely would have been easier/faster just to do that. Seems
I'd gotten to the point where my first impulse was to post a question
online rather than try a DIY fix!

FWIW, my late 2019 21.5" iMac simultaneously charges both fine while asleep!

DManzaluni

Mar 3, 2022, 5:09:14 PM3/3/22
You DO raise a good point, though!

I have been charging my earbuds from my USB port on my 13" 2012 MBP. I changed the Soundpeats for some Soundcore ANKER earbuds which dont connect via BT particularly well. They dont have any charging lights or charged lights and lose their bt connection every few days.

and I noticed that when the charge state goes down, they play havoc with the Operating System!