Google Map Traffic Symbol

Wade Garrett

Jan 4, 2018, 8:41:55 AM1/4/18
On Google traffic maps, a green road line means fast traffic, orange
means medium traffic, and a red line means it's really slow. Very
straightforward...

But what does the dashed red line mean that's often seen in proximity to
a series of solid red circles enclosing a minus sign?

nospam

Jan 4, 2018, 8:45:19 AM1/4/18
In article <p2lav0$jpj$1...@news.albasani.net>, Wade Garrett
road closure due to a collision or some other problem.

click/tap on the red circle and it should explain why, with a date it's
expected to reopen.

android

Jan 4, 2018, 10:01:41 AM1/4/18
Hi Wade! Just in case you would like to study for a drivers licens in
some distant future... :-))

<http://www.trafficsign.us/r5.html>
--
teleportation kills

Wade Garrett

Jan 4, 2018, 10:25:50 AM1/4/18
Aha, thanks!

--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.

Wade Garrett

Jan 4, 2018, 10:31:39 AM1/4/18
Must be kinda' embarrassing posting a snarky reply clearly showing you
didn't understand the OP ;-)

--
You can only judge people based upon that which they show you. Nine
times out of 10, it’s their ass.

Barry Margolin

Jan 4, 2018, 10:57:18 AM1/4/18
In article <p2lhcp$4rr$1...@news.albasani.net>,
Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net> wrote:

> On 1/4/18 10:01 AM, android wrote:
> > On 2018-01-04 13:41:51 +0000, Wade Garrett said:
> >
> >> On Google traffic maps, a green road line means fast traffic, orange
> >> means medium traffic, and a red line means it's really slow. Very
> >> straightforward...
> >>
> >> But what does the dashed red line mean that's often seen in proximity
> >> to a series of solid red circles enclosing a minus sign?
> >
> > Hi Wade! Just in case you would like to study for a drivers licens in
> > some distant future... :-))
> >
> > <http://www.trafficsign.us/r5.html>
>
> Must be kinda' embarrassing posting a snarky reply clearly showing you
> didn't understand the OP ;-)

Do trolls have an embarassement gene?

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

android

Jan 4, 2018, 10:59:00 AM1/4/18
On 2018-01-04 15:31:36 +0000, Wade Garrett said:

> On 1/4/18 10:01 AM, android wrote:
>> On 2018-01-04 13:41:51 +0000, Wade Garrett said:
>>
>>> On Google traffic maps, a green road line means fast traffic, orange
>>> means medium traffic, and a red line means it's really slow. Very
>>> straightforward...
>>>
>>> But what does the dashed red line mean that's often seen in proximity
>>> to a series of solid red circles enclosing a minus sign?
>>
>> Hi Wade! Just in case you would like to study for a drivers licens in
>> some distant future... :-))
>>
>> <http://www.trafficsign.us/r5.html>
>
> Must be kinda' embarrassing posting a snarky reply clearly showing you
> didn't understand the OP ;-)

Sure I did understand the question. The answer should be obvious for
anyone with a drivers license... All the egg is in your face! :-ppp
--
teleportation kills

android

Jan 4, 2018, 11:01:25 AM1/4/18
On 2018-01-04 15:57:15 +0000, Barry Margolin said:

> In article <p2lhcp$4rr$1...@news.albasani.net>,
> Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net> wrote:

>>> Hi Wade! Just in case you would like to study for a drivers licens in
>>> some distant future... :-))
>>>
>>> <http://www.trafficsign.us/r5.html>
>>
>> Must be kinda' embarrassing posting a snarky reply clearly showing you
>> didn't understand the OP ;-)
>
> Do trolls have an embarassement gene?

Inbreeding could generate the same symtoms...
--
teleportation kills

Jolly Roger

Jan 4, 2018, 11:46:50 AM1/4/18
Idiot.

JR

Lewis

Jan 4, 2018, 12:10:26 PM1/4/18
A red circle with a white horizontal line is a "Do not enter" in
international road signs, and is used by google usually to indicate a
road is closed. It might be temporary (accident) or long-term
(construction). I'd guess a dashed line show a detour, but I'm not sure
about that.

--
And I'm nor insane, my mother had me tested.

nospam

Jan 4, 2018, 12:19:16 PM1/4/18
In article <slrnp4so00....@Snow.local>, Lewis
<g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> > But what does the dashed red line mean that's often seen in proximity to
> > a series of solid red circles enclosing a minus sign?
>
> A red circle with a white horizontal line is a "Do not enter" in
> international road signs, and is used by google usually to indicate a
> road is closed. It might be temporary (accident) or long-term
> (construction). I'd guess a dashed line show a detour, but I'm not sure
> about that.

it indicates the portion of the closed road, usually with a dot at each
end.

android

Jan 5, 2018, 1:29:09 AM1/5/18
On 2018-01-04 16:46:46 +0000, Jolly Roger said:

> On 2018-01-04, android <he...@there.was> wrote:
>> On 2018-01-04 13:41:51 +0000, Wade Garrett said:
>>
>>> On Google traffic maps, a green road line means fast traffic, orange
>>> means medium traffic, and a red line means it's really slow. Very
>>> straightforward...
>>>
>>> But what does the dashed red line mean that's often seen in proximity
>>> to a series of solid red circles enclosing a minus sign?
>>
>> Hi Wade! Just in case you would like to study for a drivers licens in
>> some distant future... :-))
>>
>> <http://www.trafficsign.us/r5.html>
>
> Idiot.

Talking to the man in the mirror again?
--
teleportation kills

android

Jan 5, 2018, 1:35:16 AM1/5/18
It's an US R5 Series Sign and should be recognised by those awarded an
US drivers licence. <http://www.trafficsign.us/r5.html>
--
teleportation kills

Jolly Roger

Jan 5, 2018, 11:42:17 AM1/5/18
Google Maps doesn't show street signs, dummy.

Lewis

Jan 5, 2018, 3:59:13 PM1/5/18
In message <fb9o75...@mid.individual.net> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2018-01-05, android <he...@there.was> wrote:
>> On 2018-01-04 17:19:14 +0000, nospam said:

>>> it indicates the portion of the closed road, usually with a dot at each
>>> end.
>>
>> It's an US R5 Series Sign and should be recognised by those awarded an
>> US drivers licence. <http://www.trafficsign.us/r5.html>

> Google Maps doesn't show street signs, dummy.

They do use some sign iconography on their maps though.

--
I said pretend you've got no money, she just laughed and said, 'Eh
you're so funny.' I said, 'Yeah? Well I can't see anyone else smiling in

Jolly Roger

Jan 5, 2018, 4:35:16 PM1/5/18
Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
> In message <fb9o75...@mid.individual.net> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> It's an US R5 Series Sign and should be recognised by those awarded an
>>> US drivers licence. <http://www.trafficsign.us/r5.html>
>
>> Google Maps doesn't show street signs, dummy.
>
> They do use some sign iconography on their maps though.

We are talking about a dashed red line.

Lewis

Jan 5, 2018, 5:53:22 PM1/5/18
In message <fba9ch...@mid.individual.net> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

>>> Google Maps doesn't show street signs, dummy.
>>
>> They do use some sign iconography on their maps though.

> We are talking about a dashed red line.

a dashed red line in proximity to a red circle with a white "minus sign"

The red circle with the white bar is an internationally recognized sign
for do not enter/No entry.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-way_traffic#No_entry_signs>

--
On 20-12-2013 Wes Groleau wrote:
>On 12-20-2013, 10:04, George Kerby wrote:
>> 'Tis the Season to bitch and moan.

> That doesn't fit the tune you @#$%#$&%$*#$@%T#^% !

Jolly Roger

Jan 5, 2018, 7:54:09 PM1/5/18
On 2018-01-05, Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
> In message <fba9ch...@mid.individual.net> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> They do use some sign iconography on their maps though.
>
>> We are talking about a dashed red line.
>
> a dashed red line in proximity to a red circle with a white "minus sign"

Really? I wasn't aware of that additional detail.

Yes, I know what a red circle with a cross through it means; and I never
debated the definition of it.

Lewis

Jan 6, 2018, 12:02:46 AM1/6/18
It's right up there in the quoted text, though the attribution is gone.

--
This above all, to thine own self be true And it must follow, as the
night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.

android

Jan 6, 2018, 10:08:31 AM1/6/18
Now you know how astute your comment in to that you man you saw in the
mirror was! :-))
--
teleportation kills

Jolly Roger

Jan 6, 2018, 11:46:50 AM1/6/18
I see now. Somehow I skimmed right over it. Thanks.

caitli...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2020, 2:30:48 AM2/19/20
I believe it has nothing to due with "car traffic". i have seen it for my self passing on the road where red dots were shown on my maps. Abosulutely no traffic AT ALL.

Lewis

Feb 19, 2020, 11:43:53 AM2/19/20
It is supposed to indicate constriction on that road.

--
Silence filled the University in the same way that air fills a hole.
Night spread across the Disk like plum jam, or possibly

cshann...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2020, 1:08:39 PM2/19/20
On Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at 8:43:53 AM UTC-8, Lewis wrote:
> In message <6631d412-7056-4c91...@googlegroups.com> caitli...@gmail.com <caitli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 7:41:55 AM UTC-6, Wade Garrett wrote:
> >> On Google traffic maps, a green road line means fast traffic, orange
> >> means medium traffic, and a red line means it's really slow. Very
> >> straightforward...
> >>
> >> But what does the dashed red line mean that's often seen in proximity to
> >> a series of solid red circles enclosing a minus sign?
>
> > I believe it has nothing to due with "car traffic". i have seen it
> > for my self passing on the road where red dots were shown on my maps.
> > Abosulutely no traffic AT ALL.
>
> It is supposed to indicate constriction on that road.

It means the road is closed, if you hover over a red minus it will say that and tell you more info.