Creating a .dmg

Danny Parker

Dec 24, 2007, 2:14:57 AM12/24/07
Hi everyone,

I would like some help to create a .dmg file of the Leopard DVD install
disc. I am having heaps of problems and don't know what I'm doing wrong.

This is the process I'm using -

- I insert the DVD and launch Disk Utility from the Utilities folder.
- On the left hand side of the application's window, I select the
Install Disk
- Then I click "New Image"
- Under "Image Format", I have tried selecting both "compressed" and
"read/write"
- I leave encryption to "none"
- I then click "Save"
- I get a window saying "Creating Image "Mac OS X Install DVD.dmg"", so
it is looking good
However, about halfway through the process, I get a message up saying
"Unable to create .dmg. File too large.

Could anyone please help. What am I doing wrong?

TIA

S.SubZero

Dec 24, 2007, 6:22:42 AM12/24/07
-Insert the DVD
-Launch Disk Utility
-Highlight the DVD
-In Disk Utility, go to "File -> New -> Image from (your DVD)"
-It will offer to make the image

I don't know if Disk Utility can make it bootable though.

Malcolm

Dec 24, 2007, 6:33:40 AM12/24/07
On 2007-12-24 02:14:57 -0500, Danny Parker <dpa...@bigpond.net.au> said:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like some help to create a .dmg file of the Leopard DVD install
> disc. I am having heaps of problems and don't know what I'm doing wrong.
>
> This is the process I'm using -
>
> - I insert the DVD and launch Disk Utility from the Utilities folder.
> - On the left hand side of the application's window, I select the
> Install Disk
> - Then I click "New Image"
> - Under "Image Format", I have tried selecting both "compressed" and
> "read/write"

Use "DVD/CD master".

> - I leave encryption to "none"
> - I then click "Save"

Where is it being saved?

> - I get a window saying "Creating Image "Mac OS X Install DVD.dmg"", so
> it is looking good
> However, about halfway through the process, I get a message up saying
> "Unable to create .dmg. File too large.

Are you saving it on a FAT32 (MSDOS) disk? They have a 4GB file size maximum.