Classic won't start up

0 vue

ra...@mailbox.co.uk

non lue,
15 août 2005, 05:08:4915/08/2005
Classic has stopped working on my iMac (Panther) (it used to fine...).
The blue stripe fills up about 95% but then stops, Welcome to 9.2
appears briefly but it then reverts to OS X. Can anyone please help.

Michael

matt neuburg

non lue,
15 août 2005, 19:01:1715/08/2005
<ra...@mailbox.co.uk> wrote:

> Classic has stopped working on my iMac (Panther) (it used to fine...).
> The blue stripe fills up about 95% but then stops, Welcome to 9.2
> appears briefly but it then reverts to OS X

That might be correct behavior. Classic is now running, but you're not
running any Classic app so you can't see it. In other words, the order
of events should go:

1) Start up Classic (using the Classic pref pane or menu item)

2) Classic starts up and the Classic Startup window appears and vanishes

3) Now start up some Classic app.

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = ma...@tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
Tiger - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/tiger-customizing.html

ra...@mailbox.co.uk

non lue,
16 août 2005, 11:54:4516/08/2005
>That might be correct behavior. Classic is now running, but you're not
>running any Classic app so you can't see it. In other words, the order
>of events should go:
>1) Start up Classic (using the Classic pref pane or menu item)

>2) Classic starts up and the Classic Startup window appears and vanishes

>3) Now start up some Classic app.

No I don't think that's the problem. If I try to open a Classic app
like Eudora 5.1, OS9 starts to open and then quits.

Michael

matt neuburg

non lue,
16 août 2005, 14:34:3316/08/2005
<ra...@mailbox.co.uk> wrote:

Okay, but what happens if you don't do it that way? What if you do it as
I described above? Sometimes it is possible to start up Classic directly
when it is not possible to start it in "automatic" mode by launching a
Classic app.

There are other possibilities, of course; Classic may be well and truly
crashing. You may have a crash log for it, which might tell you
something. Have you looked?

Classic can crash just because Mac OS 9 would crash anyway, in which
case you might try starting Classic with all extensions off and see if
you have better luck, just as you would do if this were an OS 9 machine.
You could even try re-installing Classic; again, this is simply the same
approach you might take if this had happened in the pre Mac OS X days.

There is also the possibility that Classic is interacting badly with
something else on your computer. There is a whole discussion board at
Apple devoted to nothing but Classic vs. Tiger, so you might look it
over and see if you learn something. A particularly weird one is that
people swear that changing the name of a file Library/Application
Support/DivXNetwork to "DivX Network" (with a space) solves the problem.
But anyhow you could do worse than spend a little time studying what
people have said about similar problems. m.

ra...@mailbox.co.uk

non lue,
16 août 2005, 18:16:5516/08/2005
>start quote

Okay, but what happens if you don't do it that way? What if you do it
as
I described above? Sometimes it is possible to start up Classic
directly
when it is not possible to start it in "automatic" mode by launching a
Classic app.
There are other possibilities, of course; Classic may be well and truly

crashing. You may have a crash log for it, which might tell you
something. Have you looked?

Classic can crash just because Mac OS 9 would crash anyway, in which
case you might try starting Classic with all extensions off and see if
you have better luck, just as you would do if this were an OS 9
machine.
You could even try re-installing Classic; again, this is simply the
same
approach you might take if this had happened in the pre Mac OS X days.

>end quote

No matter how I try to start OS9 it fails to start. I'm not sure what a
crash log is, could you please explain. As you say maybe I should
simply try reinstalling OS9 from the CD, but do I need to trash the
current installed one first? I have Panther not Tiger by the way.

Michael

matt neuburg

non lue,
16 août 2005, 21:36:2616/08/2005
<ra...@mailbox.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm not sure what a
> crash log is, could you please explain. As you say maybe I should
> simply try reinstalling OS9 from the CD, but do I need to trash the
> current installed one first?

It's a log in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter.

As for reinstalling OS9, just go ahead and try it. If it can't be done
because there's a system folder there already, you'll find out soon
enough. m.

Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur
Transférer