File Date Changed By AirDrop

Doron Kabillio

Mar 10, 2022, 8:54:13 AMMar 10
When moving a file from Mac A to Mac B via AirDrop, the file date is
changed from its original date on Mac A to the current date.

Any setting or simple way to permanently override this "feature"?

Jolly Roger

Mar 10, 2022, 2:11:14 PMMar 10
When you use AirDrop, you're not "moving" anything - you are "copying"
it. AirDrop is not a traditional file sharing facility and therefore
does not retain file metadata from the source file system. The file is
brand new on the destination machine. So this is correct operation.

If you want to maintain file system metadata when copying or moving
files, use traditional file sharing instead.

JR

Doron Kabillio

Mar 10, 2022, 2:25:22 PMMar 10
On 3/10/22 2:11 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2022-03-10, Doron Kabillio <do...@nospam.net> wrote:
>> When moving a file from Mac A to Mac B via AirDrop, the file date is
>> changed from its original date on Mac A to the current date.
>>
>> Any setting or simple way to permanently override this "feature"?
>
> When you use AirDrop, you're not "moving" anything - you are "copying"
> it. AirDrop is not a traditional file sharing facility and therefore
> does not retain file metadata from the source file system. The file is
> brand new on the destination machine. So this is correct operation.
>
> If you want to maintain file system metadata when copying or moving
> files, use traditional file sharing instead.

Thanks, that explains it.

Lewis

Mar 10, 2022, 4:45:09 PMMar 10
In message <t0cvu1$3qe$1...@gioia.aioe.org> Doron Kabillio <do...@nospam.net> wrote:
> When moving a file from Mac A to Mac B via AirDrop, the file date is
> changed from its original date on Mac A to the current date.

The creation date is the date the file was CREATED. When you transfer a
file from one computer to another, a new file is created.

> Any setting or simple way to permanently override this "feature"?

Not for AirDrop, but there are other things you can do. I use rsync with
certain flags when I want to preserve date/time.

--
What do you say? Want to put some pants on and help me save all of magic?