PSA: I was finally able to mirror iOS on my PC (but I had to use USB)

Andy Burnelli

Jul 4, 2022, 1:30:14 PM7/4/22
PSA: I was finally able to mirror iOS on my PC (but I had to use USB).

For those who have both Android & iOS, the Android cross-platform
functionality with Windows/macOS/Linux is more funcdtional, but the good
news is that you _can_ mirror your iOS device on any PC (over USB).
<https://i.postimg.cc/TYvqdxCT/vysor35.jpg> iOS & Android PC mirroring

The difference is that Android 12 and up does that mirroring completely
over Wi-Fi while iOS (and Android 11 and below) does it first using USB.
<https://i.postimg.cc/XY3qSqKC/vysor04.jpg> Vysor ADB USB setup switches

The advantage of Android is there's _more_ freeware out there that works
such as screen copy freeware (all mirror clipboard, mouse & keyboard).
<https://i.postimg.cc/xjz3V8Gs/vysor32.jpg> ScrCpy vs Vysor PC mirror

But, what matters most is that you too can freely mirror iOS on your PC.
<https://i.postimg.cc/k5gv0yw8/vysor34.jpg> Apple iOS & Android mirroring

All you have to do to mirror iOS on your Windows (or macOS or Linux) PC is
a. Install Vysor freeware on your computer (macOS, Linux, or Windows)
<https://www.vysor.io/download/>
b. Install Vysor freeware on your iOS device
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/vysor/id1577813680>
c. Connect the two by USB & follow the prompts
<https://i.postimg.cc/V6X28fWJ/vysor18.jpg> Apple Mobile Device Support

Note: Android works more automatically than iOS in that you don't need to
install _anything_ on the mobile device as it's automatically installed.
<https://i.postimg.cc/Njg6Xx3V/vysor33.jpg> Preparing Vysor on device
--
Posted out of the kindness of my heart to help others do what I can do,
and to have others who know more than I do about it, improve it for all.

Andy Burnelli

Jul 7, 2022, 10:50:47 AM7/7/22
nospam wrote:

> ios can mirror over wifi *or* usb, the choice is up to the user.

A good person who says that would also provide the link to the freeware
program that allows the iOS device to mirror on Windows, Linux, and macOS
over Wi-Fi (sans the initial need to set it up first using USB).

The fact is you always make everything up so you don't ever show a link.
But this thread isn't about you derailing it because you _hate_ that iOS is
always less functionality than Android in terms of cross platform actions.

The fact is that, with some effort, you _can_ mirror your iOS device onto
Windows without resorting to having to pay for software to do that job.

For those who want to be enlightened, here's a shot of mobile mirroring:
<https://www.vysor.io/vysor-desktop-site.jpg>

Meanwhile, the rest of the users on these three newsgroups (macOS, Windows,
and Linux) simply need to know that the _best_ free program to mirror
either iOS or Android onto the computer seems to be (based on my tests over
the past few months), Vysor. <https://i.postimg.cc/k5gv0yw8/vysor34.jpg>

To always be helpful in every post, here's the macOS/Linux/Windows Vysor
<https://www.vysor.io/download/>

For whatever reason, you do need to also download Vysor onto your iOS
device, as iOS doesn't seem to be able to install a temporary IPA instead.
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/vysor/id1577813680>

It's super interesting that Vysor will install the APK (every time you
connect) onto Android (like a temporary virtual machine, sort of).
<https://i.postimg.cc/Njg6Xx3V/vysor33.jpg>

But if you don't want to wait each time the extra 30 seconds, you can
install the Android vysor APK onto your Android phone if you like; but bear
in mind Vysor installed that way has ads while the way I do it does not.
*Vysor - Android control on PC* by ClockworkMod
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.vysor>

For those of use who use the FOSS scrcpy freeware to mirror your Android
clipboard, screen, mouse and keyboard, it's the same thing as Vysor - but
it seems to be a tiny bit less reliable - but overall it's the same thing.
<https://i.postimg.cc/xjz3V8Gs/vysor32.jpg>

As for the Vysor payware, they have a chart of what's different on the main
web page but I found it to be wrong as I can do some of the stuff they say
the freeware can't do (e.g., go wireless, at least with Android it's easy).
<https://www.vysor.io>

The other thing to let people know is if you want to 'drag and drop' files
across from the computer to the phone, scrcpy does that (e.g., scrcpy will
_install_ any APK you just drag from your hard drive archives onto it), but
for Vysor to do that you have to pay for the Vysor Pro offering instead.
<https://i.postimg.cc/wvsbcNBz/scrcpy05.jpg>

Other than those things, they're pretty much equivalent in typical use.
--
Posted because I'm a kind-hearted person who wishes to help others, and
because sometimes others know far more about these tools than I do.

nospam

Jul 7, 2022, 11:10:15 AM7/7/22
In article <ta6rs3$1fhh$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<sp...@nospam.com> wrote:

> > ios can mirror over wifi *or* usb, the choice is up to the user.
>
> A good person who says that would also provide the link to the freeware
> program that allows the iOS device to mirror on Windows, Linux, and macOS
> over Wi-Fi (sans the initial need to set it up first using USB).

good people have provided the relevant links.

smart people can find the links with a simple search.

you deliberately ignore the former and are incapable of the latter,
only so you can pretend it can't be done and rant.

Andy Burnelli

Jul 7, 2022, 12:25:27 PM7/7/22
nospam wrote:

> good people have provided the relevant links.

And yet, _you_ never have.

> smart people can find the links with a simple search.

And yet, _you_ have not.

> you deliberately ignore the former and are incapable of the latter,
> only so you can pretend it can't be done and rant.

And yet, I've done it and you can't.
<https://i.postimg.cc/TYvqdxCT/vysor35.jpg>

nospam

Jul 7, 2022, 12:33:22 PM7/7/22
In article <ta71dk$57f$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<sp...@nospam.com> wrote:

> > good people have provided the relevant links.
>
> And yet, _you_ never have.

false. i have.

> > smart people can find the links with a simple search.
>
> And yet, _you_ have not.

also false, and i even told you what keywords would help such a search.

> > you deliberately ignore the former and are incapable of the latter,
> > only so you can pretend it can't be done and rant.
>
> And yet, I've done it and you can't.

you have not.

despite being told how and also how to find out further details via a
search, you *still* have been unable to do it.

and it's not just mirroring either. you've been told how to do all
sorts of stuff, which you deliberately ignore so you can rant that it's
not possible.

do you not realize how obvious it is?

Andy Burnelli

Jul 17, 2022, 6:44:00 AM7/17/22
You _never_ need USB cable ever again!

This is a PSA update to this thread which was solved a while ago,
but where I've been using it daily and have a couple of improvements.
<https://i.postimg.cc/k5gv0yw8/vysor34.jpg> Apple iOS & Android mirroring

The first improvement is huge, which is that Android 12 (maybe Android 11?)
has the hidden Developer option for "Wireless debugging" which eliminates
completely the need for a USB cable to connect to Windows.
<https://i.postimg.cc/SRRXtvKh/adb16.jpg> Android 12 Wireless Debugging

You can keep the phone in your pocket or on your desk, or better yet,
on your wired or wireless charger, and you'll _never_ need that USB
cable ever again to interface with Windows in any way you'd like to.
<https://i.postimg.cc/wvsbcNBz/scrcpy05.jpg> Drag APK from Windows

That is, without ever needing USB...
1. You can mirror Android/iOS over the random-assigned port
<https://i.postimg.cc/TYvqdxCT/vysor35.jpg> iOS & Android PC mirroring
2. And you can mount the Android phone as a drive letter
<https://i.postimg.cc/BvJdKWzt/webdav06.jpg> Android as a drive letter
3. WITHOUT needing to run any adb-pairing steps
<https://i.postimg.cc/SRRXtvKh/adb16.jpg> Android 12 Wireless Pairing

The tools I've been using for a few months to mirror over Wi-Fi are:
a. Vysor (I use this daily, as scrcpy is flakier than is Vysor for me)
b. Scrcpy (I use this when I need better resolution than Vysor gives me)
<https://i.postimg.cc/rmBHmvtV/adb18.jpg> Windows adb vysor & scrcpy

And the tools I use for mounting Android as a drive letter are:
a. WebDAV (I use this daily to mount the _entire_ phone as two drives
b. FTPUse (I don't use it though as it's flakier than WebDAV for me)
<https://www.ferrobackup.com/map-ftp-as-disk.html>

Notice a few details which take time to figure out:
A. Android 12 has a secret hidden Wireless debugging pulldown tile
<https://i.postimg.cc/qRhkhTwV/adb21.jpg> Hidden Wireless-debugging tile
B. Using that tile, Vysor will AUTOMATICALLY figure out the random port!
(Phone) Turn on Wi-Fi
(Phone) Connect to a Wi-Fi AP
(Phone) Turn 'Developer options' 'Wireless debugging = on'
(Phone) Tap "Allow" if it asks to
"Allow wireless debugging on this network?"
Which will be for a specific SSID & (usually random) BSSID.
(PC) C:\> vysor.exe (and then press on the red arrow)
That connects you to adb over the random port on Wi-Fi
without needing to run the new Android 12 adb pairing commands!
<https://i.postimg.cc/ZK9B82gP/adb15.jpg> adb pair [IP][Port] [code]
C. This Windows command tells you which random port adb is using:
C:\> netstat -ano -p tcp | findstr "192.168.0.2"
D. That random port is IMPORTANT to put in the scrcpy batch file
that Herbert kindly wrote which enables the console to be killed.
(see batch file in the sig)
E. Of course, you can get that random port from the phone itself
(but Vysor automatically figures it out - but scrcpy does not
figure out that randomly assigned port, as far as I know).
F: Vysor will also automatically install Vysor on Android temporarily!
<https://i.postimg.cc/Njg6Xx3V/vysor33.jpg> Preparing Vysor on device
G: If the adb connection gets confused (it sometimes happens):
(PC) C:\> adb kill-server
(PC) C:\> vysor.exe (and then press on the red arrow after about 30
seconds)
Note Vysor is magical in figuring out what port adb is using!
H. The free vysor.exe is lower resolution than the free scrcpy.exe
<https://i.postimg.cc/CLyK8z9v/adb20.jpg> Both vysor & scrcpy use adb
I. You need _two_ WebDAV servers to mount the internal & external sdcards
<https://i.postimg.cc/BvJdKWzt/webdav06.jpg> Android as a drive letter
sdcard0 (Using "WebDav Server" as the free WebDAV server on Android)
C:\> net use Y: \\192.168.0.2@8080\DavWWWRoot /USER:foo bar
*WebDAV Server - BestDAV" by ZQ Software
Free, no ads, no GSF, rated 3.4, 100+ reviews, 10K+ downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zq.webdav.app_free>
Pro: Works well, no ads, no gsf, autostarts upon reboot
Con: Slightly harder to set up as it requires full paths

sdcard1 (Using "Olive Tree" as the free WebDAV server on Android)
C:\> net use Z: \\192.168.0.2@8081\DavWWWRoot /USER:foo bar
*WebDAV Server* by The Olive Tree
Free, has ads, requires GSF, rated 3.5, 800+ reviews, 100K+ downloads

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theolivetree.webdavserver>
Pro: Works well, slightly easier to set up
Con: ads, gsf, and won't autostart on reboot

In summary, above are some hints as a kind-hearted PSA to help all
of those who helped everyone write the batch code in this thread!

I always strive to pay back for all the help that I received from you!
--
@echo off

cd /d "c:\app\editor\android\scrcpy"
certutil -f -decode %~f0 showwin.exe>nul
REM Port 5555 was needed when you established adb connections over USB
REM And then you disconnected the USB cable to subsequently work on Wi-Fi
REM But as of Android 11 or 12, you can establish the connection over Wi-Fi
REM But that "Developer option" "Wireless debugging" port is random!
REM So you have to get it on Android or on Windows to know what it is

REM You can get the current assigned port from the following command
REM c:\> netstat -ano -p tcp | findstr "192.168.1.10"

REM adb connect 192.168.1.10:5555
adb connect 192.168.1.10:45299

:: now we hide console window
showwin.exe 0

REM scrcpy --always-on-top --tcpip=192.168.1.10:5555
scrcpy --always-on-top --tcpip=192.168.1.10:45299

:: after scrcpy is closed we show console window again
showwin.exe 5

del showwin.exe
goto :eof

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----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-----END CERTIFICATE-----