Yahoo home page won't load

he...@att.net

Mar 5, 2016, 1:51:44 AM3/5/16
My usual home page will not open with Safari, with this message:

Too many redirects occurred trying to open
<https://my.yahoo.com/ig_st=[number] This might occur if you open a
page that is redirected to open another page which then is redirected
to pen the original page.

My home page has worked for years and has worked earlier today. How can
I get my home page back?

Jolly Roger

Mar 5, 2016, 11:27:47 AM3/5/16
Without an actual link to the actual page, nobody but Yahoo will be able
to tell you what's wrong.

JR

he...@att.net

Mar 5, 2016, 3:35:19 PM3/5/16
In article <dk0fnv...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2016-03-05, <he...@att.net> <he...@att.net> wrote:
> > My usual home page will not open with Safari, with this message:
> >
> > Too many redirects occurred trying to open
> ><https://my.yahoo.com/ig_st=[number] This might occur if you open a
> > page that is redirected to open another page which then is redirected
> > to pen the original page.
> >
> > My home page has worked for years and has worked earlier today. How can
> > I get my home page back?
>
> Without an actual link to the actual page, nobody but Yahoo will be able
> to tell you what's wrong.

As a followup my home page opens just fine in FireFox, but Safari is my
browser of choice. So seems to be a Safari problem not a web page
issue.

Tom Stiller

Mar 5, 2016, 5:36:55 PM3/5/16
On 2016-03-05, <he...@att.net> <he...@att.net> wrote:
> In article <dk0fnv...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
><jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2016-03-05, <he...@att.net> <he...@att.net> wrote:
>> > My usual home page will not open with Safari, with this message:
>> >
>> > Too many redirects occurred trying to open
>> ><https://my.yahoo.com/ig_st=[number] This might occur if you open a
>> > page that is redirected to open another page which then is redirected
>> > to pen the original page.
>> >
>> > My home page has worked for years and has worked earlier today. How can
>> > I get my home page back?
>>
>> Without an actual link to the actual page, nobody but Yahoo will be able
>> to tell you what's wrong.
>
> As a followup my home page opens just fine in FireFox, but Safari is my
> browser of choice. So seems to be a Safari problem not a web page
> issue.

My "my.yahoo.com" page opens in Safari without a problem. I suggest you
look at Safari's preferences settings or extensions.

dorayme

Mar 5, 2016, 5:57:28 PM3/5/16
In article <040320162251412327%he...@att.net>, <he...@att.net> wrote:

> My home page has worked for years and has worked earlier today. How can
> I get my home page back?

What is the address?

(I avoid waiting times when firing up browsers by having blank as the
home page but ymmv)

--
dorayme

he...@att.net

Mar 5, 2016, 6:53:38 PM3/5/16
In article
<do_ray_me-773FE...@46.sub-75-242-165.myvzw.com>, dorayme
Besides my personal my.yahoo.com home page, which Safari won't open, it
also won't open the basic https://my.yahoo.com page, again with the
redirected error message. My home page opens fine in FireFox. So the
problem seems how Safari is handling the my.yahoo.com environment.

David Ritz

Mar 5, 2016, 8:23:58 PM3/5/16

On Friday, 04 March 2016 22:51 -0800,
he...@att.net <he...@att.net> wrote:

> My usual home page will not open with Safari, with this message:

> Too many redirects occurred trying to open
> <https://my.yahoo.com/ig_st=[number] This might occur if you open a
> page that is redirected to open another page which then is
> redirected to pen the original page.

I'm seeing "too many redirects" in Firefox, Chrome, Safari and even
Lynx, from two remote accounts.

% lynx https://my.yahoo.com

Looking up my.yahoo.com
Making HTTPS connection to my.yahoo.com
SSL callback:ok, preverify_ok=1, ssl_okay=0
SSL callback:ok, preverify_ok=1, ssl_okay=0
SSL callback:ok, preverify_ok=1, ssl_okay=0
SSL callback:ok, preverify_ok=1, ssl_okay=0
Verified connection to my.yahoo.com (subj=my.yahoo.com)
Certificate issued by: /C=US/O=Symantec Corporation/OU=Symantec Trust Network/CN=Symantec Class 3 Secure Server CA - G4
Secure 128-bit TLSv1/SSLv3 (ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256) HTTP connection
Sending HTTP request.
HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
HTTP/1.0 301 Moved Permanently
Data transfer complete
HTTP/1.0 301 Moved Permanently
Using http://my.yahoo.com/
Looking up my.yahoo.com
Making HTTP connection to my.yahoo.com
Sending HTTP request.
HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
HTTP/1.0 301 Redirect
Data transfer complete
HTTP/1.0 301 Redirect
Using https://my.yahoo.com/
Alert!: Redirection limit of 10 URL's reached.

lynx: Can't access startfile https://my.yahoo.com/

I'm not seeing it using Sea Monkey, but that may just be a 'for the
moment' situation. The problem is at Y!

Try starting at <https://www.yahoo.com/>. You may want to drop a clue
to Y!, if there's nothing listed among their outages. I understand
this may be an uphill battle, as imparting clues to Y! is easily
accomplished.

--
"The gods had condemned Sisyphus to ceaselessly rolling a rock to the
top of a mountain, whence the stone would fall back of its own weight.

Jolly Roger

Mar 5, 2016, 8:39:19 PM3/5/16
On 2016-03-05, <he...@att.net> <he...@att.net> wrote:
Opens fine here. What version of OS X and Safari are you using?

he...@att.net

Mar 5, 2016, 8:41:36 PM3/5/16
In article <dk1g25...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2016-03-05, <he...@att.net> <he...@att.net> wrote:
> > In article
> ><do_ray_me-773FE...@46.sub-75-242-165.myvzw.com>, dorayme
> ><do_r...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> >> What is the address?
> >>
> >> (I avoid waiting times when firing up browsers by having blank as the
> >> home page but ymmv)
> >
> > Besides my personal my.yahoo.com home page, which Safari won't open, it
> > also won't open the basic https://my.yahoo.com page, again with the
> > redirected error message. My home page opens fine in FireFox. So the
> > problem seems how Safari is handling the my.yahoo.com environment.
>
> Opens fine here. What version of OS X and Safari are you using?

OS 10.11.3 / Safari 9.0.3

I found that the same is happening on my iPad Air 2 and OS 9 using
Safari.

Jolly Roger

Mar 5, 2016, 8:57:31 PM3/5/16
Perhaps the problem is your ISP, router, internet connection. Does your
iPad have cellular connectivity? If so, does the problem occur when it
is connected through cellular rather than WiFi?

he...@att.net

Mar 5, 2016, 10:46:14 PM3/5/16
In article <dk1h48...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2016-03-06, <he...@att.net> <he...@att.net> wrote:
> > In article <dk1g25...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
> ><jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> Opens fine here. What version of OS X and Safari are you using?
> >
> > OS 10.11.3 / Safari 9.0.3
> >
> > I found that the same is happening on my iPad Air 2 and OS 9 using
> > Safari.
>
> Perhaps the problem is your ISP, router, internet connection. Does your
> iPad have cellular connectivity? If so, does the problem occur when it
> is connected through cellular rather than WiFi?

The Yahoo home page loads just fine on FireFox, so I doubt it's any of
the above.

dorayme

Mar 6, 2016, 3:45:44 AM3/6/16
On my Snow Leopard, Safari does not connect, there are redirects which
it is not happy with. On FF, as you have observed on your setup, it
loads a page with all sorts of stuff on, weather, news, a facility to
login, etc.

On my iPad, latest Safari for IOS, a simple login page for Yahoo comes
up fine.

I suspect that it is not Safari that is the problem, Opera and iCab
also has trouble but the server at the end for that page. It is likely
a disgraceful server set up and some browsers and chance roadways at
certain times manage to produce one thing and other browsers other
things.

Might you choose another working page or blank for Safari and use FF
for that page if you must. For various reasons, sometimes just simply
because some pages do not work on some browsers well, I quickly switch
and think nothing more of it unless I have to!

--
dorayme