Print Shop vs. Print Master vs. Print House

Bijan Mobasseri

Apr 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/17/97

All 3 seem to do similar things; printing fliers, greeting cards etc. Print
House is by CorelDRAW which is better known. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

David W Binnion

Apr 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/18/97

In article <mobasser-ya0240800...@news.ee.vill.edu>,
moba...@ece.vill.edu (Bijan Mobasseri) wrote:

PrintShop is a very nice program and very stable - ie it doesn't crash
often. But if you are printing to a non postscript printer there are
serious print issues. For more than two years Broderbund as offered
excuses as to why their product would not print reliably to Color
StyleWriter printers. HP and Epson users have similar problems. Simply
put, what you see is not what you get. After fighting with the company for
two years I told them I'd spend no more money on any of their products
until this issue was fixed. Their answer - take a hike.

PrintHouse is a PowerMac program only. It is rather unstable until given
tons of memory. It also seems happiest when it has access to a small
number of fonts. When I am going to use PrintHouse I use SuitCase to
reduce the number of active fonts, I reboot with a minimal set of
extensions and control panels, and I save a lot! Also, I've doubled the
amount of memory that PrintHouse allocates to itself. This has improved
the stability but I am anxiously awaiting a sorely needed update from
Corel.

PrintMaster Gold is also somewhat unstable, but not nearly so much so as
PrintHouse. One problem I have with PrintMaster is that color doesn't
print as it appears on screen. I don't think it uses ColorSync technology.

Of the three, if I am using a PostScript printer - I use PrintShop. If its
printing issues were resolved no other product would have a shot at
competing against it. If I am using a color printer, I will use Corl
PrintHouse.

david

Gary R Holtom

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

I am using Printmaster Gold, as it is cheap and works with an Epson
printer (non-postscript) on a Quadra-class Mac. The output is very
attractive, the clip art is OK, but it has a most un-Mac like interface.
Many features are accessible by clicking on tabs, then getting a strange
set of buttons covering the left third of the screen. This is in addition
to covering up a big part of the top with icons (the way lots of PC
applications work), and many of the features and menu items are most
non-intuitive.
______________
In article <davidwb-1804...@hils1-cs-13.dial.bright.net>,

___________:______:_______|:.___________________________________
Femtosecond Spectroscopy Forever.
My lab is so fast that you wouldn't believe it.
Gary Holtom

Bijan Mobasseri

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

In article <gr_holtom-2404970830260001@gr_holtom2.pnl.gov>,

gr_h...@pnl.gov (Gary R Holtom) wrote:

> I am using Printmaster Gold, as it is cheap and works with an Epson
> printer (non-postscript) on a Quadra-class Mac. The output is very
> attractive, the clip art is OK, but it has a most un-Mac like interface.
> Many features are accessible by clicking on tabs, then getting a strange
> set of buttons covering the left third of the screen. This is in addition
> to covering up a big part of the top with icons (the way lots of PC
> applications work), and many of the features and menu items are most
> non-intuitive.

Since my first post, I have gone thorugh PrintMaster and now COREL
PrintHouse. I reutrned PrintMaster in one day. Its interface reminded me of
my DOS days. Surely must have been written for a 286. PrintHouse is no
better. Clearly a Windows port. Anyone saying that Windows Whatever is now
as good as Mac should try a software originally written for Windows.
Suffice it say that after several hours on PrintHouse, I am still
struggling with a stupid certificate. Most unintuitive and irritating.

Bijan