Re: Extending battery life

Wally J

Dec 3, 2023, 2:07:54 PM12/3/23
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote

> Wally is a well-known Apple-hating troll who comes into threads like
> this to shit on Apple and insult Apple users. You can ignore his troll
> posts.

To Cameo:
What Jolly Roger failed to mention is that I was & am 100% correct.
Jolly Roger did not refute that fact (because he can't refute it).
Nobody but a fool refutes facts (that's why they're fools after all).

Hi Jolly Roger,

I love you. I love when you post because I learn how you think.

I accept that you hate me only because you hate that everything I say is
true about Apple products - which really means - you hate Apple products.

More specifically, you hate that I said a truth that you can't refute.
So you attacked me. Because you hate the truth about Apple products.

Specifically, you hate that I told Cameo the truth about battery lifespan.

What Jolly Roger failed to mention is that I'm always correct on the facts.

HINT: All iPhones are made with cheap substandard low battery capacity.
DOUBLEHINT: The most important battery lifespan metric is battery capacity.

Look up the size of my _free_ Android phone's battery, by the way.
Samsung Galaxy A32-5G. It's 5 amp hours. And that's a _cheap_ battery.

Compare that super cheap battery to what you have in an iPhone.
Note that the iPhone is even worse than that.
Much worse.

BTW, my free phone is already almost three years old and running quite
strongly in all respects (easily lasts two days and charges in an hour or
two with the charger that came with it in the box), and it has an aux port
and sd slot for portable memory).

All that for a phone whose MSRP is in the two hundred dollar range.

In summary, I accept that not only does Jolly Roger hate me because Jolly
ROger has no defense to the facts, but that also means Jolly Roger hates
all facts about Apple products (which is what I conveyed to Cameo).

So be it.
--
The iKooks actually hate that Apple doesn't do what Apple says they do.

Alan

Dec 3, 2023, 3:26:31 PM12/3/23
On 2023-12-03 11:07, Wally J wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote
>
>> Wally is a well-known Apple-hating troll who comes into threads like
>> this to shit on Apple and insult Apple users. You can ignore his troll
>> posts.
>
> To Cameo:
> What Jolly Roger failed to mention is that I was & am 100% correct.
> Jolly Roger did not refute that fact (because he can't refute it).
> Nobody but a fool refutes facts (that's why they're fools after all).

One thing YOU just failed to refute was that you're an Apple-hating troll.

> Hi Jolly Roger,
>
> I love you. I love when you post because I learn how you think.
>
> I accept that you hate me only because you hate that everything I say is
> true about Apple products - which really means - you hate Apple products.
>
> More specifically, you hate that I said a truth that you can't refute.
> So you attacked me. Because you hate the truth about Apple products.
>
> Specifically, you hate that I told Cameo the truth about battery lifespan.
>
> What Jolly Roger failed to mention is that I'm always correct on the facts.
>
> HINT: All iPhones are made with cheap substandard low battery capacity.

False.

> DOUBLEHINT: The most important battery lifespan metric is battery capacity.

Fals.

> Look up the size of my _free_ Android phone's battery, by the way.
> Samsung Galaxy A32-5G. It's 5 amp hours. And that's a _cheap_ battery.

Capacity is irrelevant...

...if you don't also consider energy usage.

Wally J

Dec 3, 2023, 3:44:28 PM12/3/23
Cameo <ca...@unreal.invalid> wrote

> What would do it better? Draining it till practical, or keep it almost
> fully charged by having it on charger when not in use?

Luckily for you, folks already told you the basics about charging settings
(keep it roughly in the midrange of its capacity as much as you can).

Unfortunately for you, original battery capacity is the real killer here.
Apple puts cheap crummy batteries in iPhones - that's just a known fact.

Just compare the battery capacity of any iPhone to the average Android.
The Apple battery will almost always be vastly substandard in this, the
absolutely most critical specification for overall battery longevity.

*Battery Capacity*

However, at this point, you already bought the damn thing, so you're stuck
with that cheap battery; so all you can do moving forward is described in
this article since everyone with an iPhone endures that crappy capacity.

*18 Tips to Make Your iPhone 15's Battery Last Longer*
<https://www.macrumors.com/guide/iphone-15-battery-tips/>

1. Turn Off Live Activities
2. Delete Lock Screen and Home Screen Widgets
Turn Off Live Voicemail
4. Turn Off Proximity AirDrop Sharing
5. Take Advantage of Offline Maps
6. Disable Haptic Keyboard Feedback
7. Turn Off Always-On Display (iPhone 15 Pro)
8. Choose Non-Animated Wallpapers
9. Use Focus Modes
10. Use Scheduled Summary
11. Limit When and How Often Apps Can Access Location
12. Limit Apps Using Bluetooth
13. Use Low Power Mode
14. Use Wi-Fi and Airplane Mode
15. Manage Apps Draining Battery
16. Limit Background Activity
17. Turn Down Screen Brightness
18. Change Your Mail Settings

Hope this helps, as you're going to need all the help you can get,
mostly because Apple doomed your battery capacity from the start.
--
The iKooks hate me because I write facts about Apple they can't refute.
So be it.

Alan

Dec 3, 2023, 3:51:59 PM12/3/23
On 2023-12-03 12:44, Wally J wrote:
> Cameo <ca...@unreal.invalid> wrote
>
>> What would do it better? Draining it till practical, or keep it almost
>> fully charged by having it on charger when not in use?
>
> Luckily for you, folks already told you the basics about charging settings
> (keep it roughly in the midrange of its capacity as much as you can).
>
> Unfortunately for you, original battery capacity is the real killer here.
> Apple puts cheap crummy batteries in iPhones - that's just a known fact.

No. This is a falsehood.

> Just compare the battery capacity of any iPhone to the average Android.
> The Apple battery will almost always be vastly substandard in this, the
> absolutely most critical specification for overall battery longevity.

Capacity is only relevant when compared to energy usage.

Thomas E.

Dec 3, 2023, 4:41:10 PM12/3/23
Let's look at some recent data.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/smartphones-best-battery-life,review-2857.html

iPhone 15 models ranked 4th, 5th and 6th behind 3 Android phones. Other Android phones fell short of the iPhone. My 14 Pro and the wife's 14 go 2 days between charges with none of the settings changes suggested above.

The iPhone 14 Plus suffers from it's larger screen.

The Moto g 5g Stylus reportedly has a 5000 mah battery. The iPhone 15 Pro has a 3200 mah and a longer battery life in test cited above.

About the worst you can say about iPhone 15 battery life is it's better than Android's average even if some Android phones may have larger battery capacity.

It would interesting to have data on battery replacements.

Battery quality relative to the phone's drain rate is also important in the longer term. Remember the iPhone 6 battery fiasco?

Alan

Dec 3, 2023, 8:04:54 PM12/3/23
There was no "fiasco".

Batteries age and gradually lose capacity. That's just a fact.

Apple chose to roll out a software update to attempt to minimize the
impact of that fact on their customers.

Thomas E.

Dec 3, 2023, 10:49:27 PM12/3/23
Which explains why Apple agreed to pay out $500,000,000 in claims rather than go to trial. I had an iPhone 6. The problem was real. Mine was about a year old when it overheated and battery capacity dropped.

I know, you are going to claim Apple settled to avoid litigation expense and as a goodwill gesture.

Alan Baker

Dec 7, 2023, 5:47:55 PM12/7/23
I don't need to say it, do I?

The fact is that batteries age and all Apple did that was "wrong" was take automatic steps to ensure that phones would continue to operate with aged batteries.

Thomas E.

Dec 7, 2023, 7:54:19 PM12/7/23
They were wrong to not tell their customers.

RabidPedagog

Dec 8, 2023, 6:37:26 AM12/8/23
He is correct. What Apple did was and wasn't unethical. On the one hand,
it allowed people to continue using their iPhones with a respectable
battery life; on the other, they did so at great compromise. However,
people nowadays buy new machines where the battery is already unable to
hold a charge. Sometimes it's because they've spent too much time in the
warehouse before being sold and sometimes it's because they were kept in
places where the temperature was either too high or too low. Lithium
doesn't last forever... something the fans of electric cars are going to
find out very soon.
--
@RabidPedagog

Thomas E.

Dec 27, 2023, 12:52:53 PM12/27/23
Really? Can you explain why my family has a 2017 iPhone 8 that is used on a daily basis, zero issues, and has 78% of battery capacity remaining after 6 years?