Multiple accounts - OS X vs. Windows

Sandman

Jan 4, 2016, 3:15:20 PM1/4/16
So, my son wants a PC since he's gaming a lot. And instead of him saving money
and buying one I said that he can use my PC, since it's a top of the line
gaming PC. He's been using his own iMac for gaming up until now.

Now, the PC has never had multiple accounts, only me and my account. So how
does it work? Well, the kid is 13 and still has severely limited "screen time"
so he doesn't end up sitting in front of his computer all day, so parental
controls are important.

On the Mac, it's super easy - create new account with parental controls, set
time limits, done. It's done in about five minutes.

On Windows, not so easy. First off, you have local account and you have
"family" accounts. Local accounts can not be used with parental control, you
have to set up family accounts, which requires that each account has an email
address and a MS account. Sigh, so setting that up isn't as easy as one would
like. Obviously you have a more comprehensive account setup where the kid needs
to verify his email and so on.

And when done, you can't actually manage the time limits in the control panel,
you have to go to a web page to do it! Wtf? And first the kid has to accept via
email that he wants to be included into the family, lots of clicking in emails,
web pages, control panels all over the place.

Ok, then its done, phew!

Now, the next problem. Steam. I actually thought this was a Steam issue, but it
seems it is not. I start Steam on my PC, then I log in to my kids PC account
and start Steam - which shuts down the Steam already running in my account. But
why??

Not only that - when launching Steam on my kids account, it is logged in to
*my* Steam account! On his Windows account??? Whyyyyy? So I log myself out of
his Steam and log him in - and he then sees all my games! Now, this wasn't as
huge a problem as I first thought, since he apparently can't actually play them
(some of them he's not allowed to play) but that wasn't obvious at the time.

As I said, I thought this was a Steam issue, but when I did the exact same
thing on my Mac for my daughter, her account was created in five minutes, and
then when I launched Steam, it wasn't logged in, it wasn't shut down from my
account and when she logged in to her Steam account, she couldn't see all my
games. I.e. exactly how it should be!

Why in 2015 is Windows still so fundamentally broken?

--
Sandman

Walter Myer

Jan 5, 2016, 7:30:09 PM1/5/16
The real question should be; why are you so fundamentally stupid?

MuahMan

Jan 6, 2016, 12:30:36 PM1/6/16
On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 3:15:20 PM UTC-5, Sandman wrote:
The Islamic Country of Swedistan. Enjoy the Rape Train.

Alan Baker

Jan 6, 2016, 12:31:23 PM1/6/16
From the home of the dim-witted, waiting to die...

MuahMan

Jan 6, 2016, 12:39:56 PM1/6/16
Canada, America's hat. Home of the American wanna be losers drinking Ice beer. Worst healthcare in the 1st World.

Alan Baker

Jan 6, 2016, 12:47:45 PM1/6/16
Brian admits it: Canada tops the US!

:-)