Mini CD in iMAc CD Rom drive

Snit

Oct 7, 2003, 12:19:37 PM10/7/03
I have an iMac (old style slot loading) that someone stuck a mini credit
card CD into... It does not show up on the desktop, nor can it be ejected
with the mini paperclip hole. Any ideas on how to get the blasted thing
out? Do I have to take it apart. Love Mac. Love the idea of slot loading.
Not too fond of this problem.

Edwin

Oct 7, 2003, 12:29:22 PM10/7/03

"Snit" <snit-...@cableone.net> wrote in message

In Windows "Eject CD" is available in the contextual menu, and it works
even if the CD drive is empty (opens the CD drawer). Then there's always
the eject button on the CD drive...

I guess the "Eject" is ghosted out on a Mac if a CD volume isn't mounted?

I'm sure glad I switched to a computer that doesn't make me use a paperclip
to open a drive drawer...

Edwin

Alan Baker

Oct 7, 2003, 1:27:14 PM10/7/03
In article <blupkm$gjgui$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>,
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

> "Snit" <snit-...@cableone.net> wrote in message
> > I have an iMac (old style slot loading) that someone stuck a mini credit
> > card CD into... It does not show up on the desktop, nor can it be ejected
> > with the mini paperclip hole. Any ideas on how to get the blasted thing
> > out? Do I have to take it apart. Love Mac. Love the idea of slot
> > Not too fond of this problem.
>
> In Windows "Eject CD" is available in the contextual menu, and it works
> even if the CD drive is empty (opens the CD drawer). Then there's always
> the eject button on the CD drive...
>
> I guess the "Eject" is ghosted out on a Mac if a CD volume isn't mounted?

You guess wrong.

> I'm sure glad I switched to a computer that doesn't make me use a paperclip
> to open a drive drawer...
>
> Edwin

You idiot. The problem is that the mini, "credit card", CDs shouldn't be
used in a slot loading CD drive. *Any* CD drive. The problem is
*physical*.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

Peter Ammon

Oct 7, 2003, 1:39:06 PM10/7/03

What "drive drawer?" This is a slot loading drive, and it would have
the same problem on a PC as on a Mac.

-Peter

Peter Ammon

Oct 7, 2003, 1:39:51 PM10/7/03
Snit wrote:

Here's a post I found about that problem.

http://www.appletechs.com/archives/00000004.html
--
i stuck in an irregular shaped mini CD into my iMac and could not get it
out. found the above instructions and found the electronic eject button

so i disconnected all peripherals and held the iMac in my arms and legs
with the slot facing downwards and jostled the machine up and down while
activating the electronic eject button with the paperclip. out popped
the CD! woohoo! do not have to tear apart iMac!

the assistance of gravity was enough to dislodge that rotten little
plastic disk.

obviously be very careful and strong enough so that your lovely iMac
fall out of your hands and crash to the floor.
--

Hope this helps,
-Peter

George Graves

Oct 7, 2003, 1:43:41 PM10/7/03
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

> "Snit" <snit-...@cableone.net> wrote in message
> > I have an iMac (old style slot loading) that someone stuck a mini credit
> > card CD into... It does not show up on the desktop, nor can it be ejected
> > with the mini paperclip hole. Any ideas on how to get the blasted thing
> > out? Do I have to take it apart. Love Mac. Love the idea of slot
> > Not too fond of this problem.
>
> In Windows "Eject CD" is available in the contextual menu, and it works
> even if the CD drive is empty (opens the CD drawer). Then there's always
> the eject button on the CD drive...
>
> I guess the "Eject" is ghosted out on a Mac if a CD volume isn't mounted?

That makes a lot of f**king sense. If "Eject" is ghosted when a CD
volume isn't mounted, how the GODDAM HELL do you open it to insert a CD?
It's obviously jammed, you putz. Tell you what. Get a CD jammed in your
name-on-request drawer-style generic Windows CD reader and see what good
your "Eject" command in the contextural menu does and BTW, OSX's
contextural menu has an "Eject" command in it as well. Just like on a
Windows PC, it won't eject a JAMMED DISK either!

> I'm sure glad I switched to a computer that doesn't make me use a paperclip
> to open a drive drawer...

Me too. I'd like it even better if you switched to another news group
that doesn't make you post here.

> Edwin

You're really helpful Edwin. Thanks for your contribution. Just goes to
show how basically mean-spirited you are. Some guy comes here for help
and you respond by gloating over your primitive Windows OS, just because
it's too stupid to know that there's a volume mounted while you're
basically being too stupid to realize that in this case the CD is
jammed. All the contextural menu commands and paperclips in the world
won't make it eject. I guess you and Windows belong together, A marriage
made in heaven, or some such place.

--
George Tirebiter asked you, "If it's a disk problem, then
why did (PC Magazine) say that the G4 also kicked Dell's ass when loading the

And Whine-Idiot answers: "It was a misprint"

Edwin

Oct 7, 2003, 1:56:31 PM10/7/03

"Alan Baker" <alang...@telus.net> wrote in message

> In article <blupkm$gjgui$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>,
> "Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:
>
> > "Snit" <snit-...@cableone.net> wrote in message
> > > I have an iMac (old style slot loading) that someone stuck a mini
credit
> > > card CD into... It does not show up on the desktop, nor can it be
ejected
> > > with the mini paperclip hole. Any ideas on how to get the blasted
thing
> > > out? Do I have to take it apart. Love Mac. Love the idea of slot
> > > Not too fond of this problem.
> >
> > In Windows "Eject CD" is available in the contextual menu, and it works
> > even if the CD drive is empty (opens the CD drawer). Then there's
always
> > the eject button on the CD drive...
> >
> > I guess the "Eject" is ghosted out on a Mac if a CD volume isn't
mounted?

> You guess wrong.

Then why doesn't he use it to open the drawer? Because it's not present,
rather than ghosted?

> > I'm sure glad I switched to a computer that doesn't make me use a
paperclip
> > to open a drive drawer...
> >
> > Edwin
> >

> You idiot. The problem is that the mini, "credit card", CDs shouldn't be
> used in a slot loading CD drive. *Any* CD drive. The problem is
> *physical*.

On a PC, I'd pick "Eject CD" the drawer would open, and I'd pick the credit
card CD out.

I understood what the problem is. So stop calling me by your name.

Edwin

Edwin

Oct 7, 2003, 1:59:54 PM10/7/03

"George Graves" <gmgra...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> In article <blupkm$gjgui$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>,
> "Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:
>
> > "Snit" <snit-...@cableone.net> wrote in message
> > > I have an iMac (old style slot loading) that someone stuck a mini
credit
> > > card CD into... It does not show up on the desktop, nor can it be
ejected
> > > with the mini paperclip hole. Any ideas on how to get the blasted
thing
> > > out? Do I have to take it apart. Love Mac. Love the idea of slot
> > > Not too fond of this problem.
> >
> > In Windows "Eject CD" is available in the contextual menu, and it works
> > even if the CD drive is empty (opens the CD drawer). Then there's
always
> > the eject button on the CD drive...
> >
> > I guess the "Eject" is ghosted out on a Mac if a CD volume isn't
mounted?

> That makes a lot of f**king sense. If "Eject" is ghosted when a CD
> volume isn't mounted, how the GODDAM HELL do you open it to insert a CD?

Well, you got me there...

> It's obviously jammed, you putz. Tell you what. Get a CD jammed in your
> name-on-request drawer-style generic Windows CD reader and see what good
> your "Eject" command in the contextural menu does and BTW, OSX's
> contextural menu has an "Eject" command in it as well. Just like on a
> Windows PC, it won't eject a JAMMED DISK either!

He's got an old iMac with a slot drawer, so he probably doesn't have Mac OS
X.

[snip]

Bile soaked hypocrisy snipped.

Edwin

Lloyd Parsons

Oct 7, 2003, 2:03:19 PM10/7/03
In article <bluuo3$f3mr0$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>, Edwin
<thor...@juno.com> wrote:

Yoo Hoo! Is your reading comprehension slipping?

Here's what he was talking about:

> > credit

You remembeer slot loading cd's don't you? They are the ones WITHOUT a
drawer!

Lloyd

George Graves

Oct 7, 2003, 2:05:02 PM10/7/03
In article <BBA835A9.29784%snit-...@cableone.net>,
Snit <snit-...@cableone.net> wrote:

OK. The problem is that the 'credit-card' disk is jammed. I am assuming
here that by credit-card disk you are referring to a CD that is actually
the same size and shape of a credit-card with a spindle hole in the
center? If so, this type of drive is not suited these disks because they
don't have an actual tray for the card to lay in. The slot-loading type
of CD drive COUNTS on the fact that CDs are round to guide them in and
out of the mechanism. Your problem is that when the drive tried to eject
the card, a corner or edge of the card got caught on something internal
to the mechanism. Before dismantling anything try this. Get a long
bladed, thin flat knife. Carefully insert the blade into the drive slot.
This is difficult to explain, but try to use the blade to "feel" the
card. You should be able to find the edge of the card with the blade.
Now, move the blade so that it passes over the TOP of the card and pull
the tip of the blade in a "prying" motion back toward the slot. The
pressure of the blade should unhook the corner or edge of the card that
is hung, away from whatever caught it. If the top is free, then
obvioulsy, the card is caught from the bottom. Repeat the procedure on
the bottom side of the card. Hopefully you can free it from whatever
it's hung on and since the mechanism has been trying all this time to
eject the disk (if you gave it that command) it will try to complete the
action and when free, the card should spit out. The reason I know this
is because a friend's daughter tried to play one of those small CD
singles in her car stereo; it has one of those slot-load CD mechanisms
and the disc got jammed. I was able to extract it using the method
described above.

In the future, my advice is: if ain't round and 4.5 inches in diameter,
don't insert it.

Sandman

Oct 7, 2003, 2:09:38 PM10/7/03
<thor...@juno.com> wrote:

> I have an iMac (old style slot loading) that someone stuck a mini
> credit card CD into... It does not show up on the desktop, nor can it
> be ejected with the mini paperclip hole. Any ideas on how to get the
> blasted thing out? Do I have to take it apart. Love Mac. Love the
> idea of slot loading. Not too fond of this problem.
>
> In Windows "Eject CD" is available in the contextual menu, and it
> works even if the CD drive is empty (opens the CD drawer). Then
> there's always the eject button on the CD drive...
>
> I guess the "Eject" is ghosted out on a Mac if a CD volume isn't
> mounted?
>
> I'm sure glad I switched to a computer that doesn't make me use a
> paperclip to open a drive drawer...

I'm glad you're back Edwin, we have been stuck with troll wannabe's such as
John Jones (which seems to have disappeared just as you reappaerd - funny ey?).

Your level of ignorance is hard to find. I just want to ask you this - what "CD
Drawer" is there to open in a slot loading CD reader? :-D

--
Sandman[.net]

Sandman

Oct 7, 2003, 2:11:21 PM10/7/03
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

> > You idiot. The problem is that the mini, "credit card", CDs shouldn't be
> > used in a slot loading CD drive. *Any* CD drive. The problem is
> > *physical*.
>
> On a PC, I'd pick "Eject CD" the drawer would open, and I'd pick the credit
> card CD out.

There isn't a "drawer" on a slot-loading CD reader, Edwin. :-D

--
Sandman[.net]

Sandman

Oct 7, 2003, 2:14:49 PM10/7/03
In article <bluuue$gsrqm$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>,
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

> > It's obviously jammed, you putz. Tell you what. Get a CD jammed in your
> > name-on-request drawer-style generic Windows CD reader and see what good
> > your "Eject" command in the contextural menu does and BTW, OSX's
> > contextural menu has an "Eject" command in it as well. Just like on a
> > Windows PC, it won't eject a JAMMED DISK either!
>
> He's got an old iMac with a slot drawer, so he probably doesn't have Mac OS
> X.

Why not? I have Panther installed on a 400 Mhz slot-loading iMac with 196MB of
RAM without any problems what so ever, why are you assuming the OP didn't?

--
Sandman[.net]

Sandman

Oct 7, 2003, 2:51:07 PM10/7/03
In article <gmgravesnos-E33C...@news.sf.sbcglobal.net>,
George Graves <gmgra...@pacbell.net> wrote:

Good advice - but shouldn't a slotloading CD reader handle the smaller 3.15
inch CD discs aswell?

--
Sandman[.net]

Jim Polaski

Oct 7, 2003, 2:59:50 PM10/7/03
In article <mr-9B9A16.20...@news.fu-berlin.de>,
Sandman <m...@sandman.net> wrote:

Besides, f12 ejects the CD or opens the tray, in Mac OS X that is. I
think f11 ejects the internal zip as well in OS X.

You were saying edloser.

--
Regards,
JP

Macintosh for productivity. Linux for servers. Palm/Visor for mobility. Windows to feed the Black Hole in your IT budget

Jim Polaski

Oct 7, 2003, 3:00:39 PM10/7/03
In article <bluuo3$f3mr0$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>,
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

There is no drawer. It has a slot. Can you get that?

Jim Polaski

Oct 7, 2003, 3:01:46 PM10/7/03
In article <071020031303190140%lloydp...@nospammac.com>,
Lloyd Parsons <lloydp...@nospammac.com> wrote:

Lloyd, edlost forgot about those because when the tray loading CD drives
disappeared, he lost his coffee cup holder.

Edwin

Oct 7, 2003, 3:16:46 PM10/7/03

"Lloyd Parsons" <lloydp...@nospammac.com> wrote in message

Oh yeah... that cheap crap that Apple stuck into premium priced iMacs... PCs
haven't had those for years... not even cheap PCs... they're all drawer
loaded... I'm sure glad I didn't pick a computer with a crummy slot-loading
CD...

Edwin

Edwin

Oct 7, 2003, 3:18:48 PM10/7/03

"Sandman" <m...@sandman.net> wrote in message

You're right. Sorry, not even cheap PCs have a crummy CD loader like
that... you'd have to go back, what, 9, 10 years to find a PC with a
slot-loading CD?

Edwin

Steve Mackay

Oct 7, 2003, 4:13:09 PM10/7/03

Like usual, you are wrong. Dell and Micron both used slot load CD drives
during the same era. I've got one sitting here next to me running as our
web/mail/file server running debian. The Micron DEFINATELY wasn't a cheap PC
back then.

I really think they adjusted your meds wrong this time. You seemed much
more intelligent and pleasant to deal with last time around.

Lloyd Parsons

Oct 7, 2003, 4:33:43 PM10/7/03
In article <jpolaski-8CD3D4...@netnews.attbi.com>, Jim
Polaski <jpol...@NOync.net> wrote:

LOL!

Of course, we all know that isn't all he forgot either!

--
Lloyd

Lloyd Parsons

Oct 7, 2003, 4:34:33 PM10/7/03
In article <blv3ek$g4anh$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>, Edwin
<thor...@juno.com> wrote:

Bullshit! PCs also had them at the same time. Lots of the consumer
models had them.

--
Lloyd

Edwin

Oct 7, 2003, 4:35:30 PM10/7/03

"Steve Mackay" <steve_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Edwin wrote:
> > "Sandman" <m...@sandman.net> wrote in message

> >> There isn't a "drawer" on a slot-loading CD reader, Edwin. :-D
> >
> > You're right. Sorry, not even cheap PCs have a crummy CD loader like
> > that... you'd have to go back, what, 9, 10 years to find a PC with a
> > slot-loading CD?
>
> Like usual, you are wrong. Dell and Micron both used slot load CD
drives
> during the same era. I've got one sitting here next to me running as our
> web/mail/file server running debian. The Micron DEFINATELY wasn't a cheap
PC
> back then.

Back then? iMacs were sold with slot loading CDs only within the last two
or three years. There were no similarly equipped PCs sold at the same
time, unless you bought drives like that yourself and put them in.

> I really think they adjusted your meds wrong this time. You seemed
much
> more intelligent and pleasant to deal with last time around.

Why bother trying to be pleasant? I get the same sh*tty replies from
Maccies one way or the other...

Edwin

Lloyd Parsons

Oct 7, 2003, 4:35:23 PM10/7/03
In article <blv3ie$gummu$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>, Edwin
<thor...@juno.com> wrote:

Not even close to that far back, think much more recent.

--
Lloyd

Edwin

Oct 7, 2003, 4:44:42 PM10/7/03

"Lloyd Parsons" <lloydp...@nospammac.com> wrote in message

That defines your sentence below:

>PCs also had them at the same time. Lots of the consumer
> models had them.

Nope. You'd be hard pressed to find any PC with slot-loading CDs when
Apple introduced the same in iMacs. Mostly el-cheapo replacement drives...

Edwin

Edwin

Oct 7, 2003, 4:45:19 PM10/7/03

"Lloyd Parsons" <lloydp...@nospammac.com> wrote in message

Nope.

Edwin

Edwin

Oct 7, 2003, 4:49:36 PM10/7/03

> In article <blupkm$gjgui$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>, "Edwin"
> <thor...@juno.com> wrote:
>
> > I have an iMac (old style slot loading) that someone stuck a mini
> > credit card CD into... It does not show up on the desktop, nor can it
> > be ejected with the mini paperclip hole. Any ideas on how to get the
> > blasted thing out? Do I have to take it apart. Love Mac. Love the
> > idea of slot loading. Not too fond of this problem.
> >
> > In Windows "Eject CD" is available in the contextual menu, and it
> > works even if the CD drive is empty (opens the CD drawer). Then
> > there's always the eject button on the CD drive...
> >
> > I guess the "Eject" is ghosted out on a Mac if a CD volume isn't
> > mounted?
> >
> > I'm sure glad I switched to a computer that doesn't make me use a
> > paperclip to open a drive drawer...
>
> I'm glad you're back Edwin, we have been stuck with troll wannabe's such
as
> John Jones (which seems to have disappeared just as you reappaerd - funny
ey?).

Yes, you are funny, but not in a "funny ha ha" kind of way...

> Your level of ignorance is hard to find.

You can find a deeper level of ignorance by looking into a mirror or a bit
of highly polished metal...

>I just want to ask you this - what "CD
> Drawer" is there to open in a slot loading CD reader? :-D

I'm calling the thing that comes out in your hand a "drawer." So sue me.
Call it a sleeve or a "CD carrier" instead, if it suits you better.

Edwin

Edwin

Oct 7, 2003, 4:52:35 PM10/7/03

"Sandman" <m...@sandman.net> wrote in message

[snip]

> Good advice - but shouldn't a slotloading CD reader handle the smaller
3.15
> inch CD discs as well?

I fixed your sentence. You're welcome.

Edwin

Sandman

Oct 7, 2003, 5:43:37 PM10/7/03
In article <blv8so$gqt25$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>,
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

> >I just want to ask you this - what "CD
> > Drawer" is there to open in a slot loading CD reader? :-D
>
> I'm calling the thing that comes out in your hand a "drawer." So sue me.

Eh? You are calling the CD disc a drawer?

> Call it a sleeve or a "CD carrier" instead, if it suits you better.

What?? Are you actually talking about a CD caddie??

Oh my god - here I thought you just misunderstood the OP, but you actually
thought he had a kind of CD reader that not only is ages old, but also hasn't
been on any Mac, let alone a iMac.

Go look at http:///www.apple.com/powerbook (they are the only one featuring slot-loading nowadays) - you see the thin
line on the right side of the front of the powerbooks? THOSE are slot loading
CD trays. It's just a slit in the casing in which you insert the naked CD.
There are no parts of the CD reader that "comes out" when you eject or insert.

I just can't phantom that you didn't know this!

--
Sandman[.net]

Sandman

Oct 7, 2003, 5:44:14 PM10/7/03
<thor...@juno.com> wrote:

>>> On a PC, I'd pick "Eject CD" the drawer would open, and I'd pick the
>>> credit card CD out.
>>
>> There isn't a "drawer" on a slot-loading CD reader, Edwin. :-D
>
> You're right. Sorry, not even cheap PCs have a crummy CD loader like
> that... you'd have to go back, what, 9, 10 years to find a PC with a
> slot-loading CD?

You are WAAAAY out in the bush on this one, Edwin. See my other reply to you.

--
Sandman[.net]

Sandman

Oct 7, 2003, 5:51:51 PM10/7/03
In article <blv92c$g8mhg$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>,
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

> > Good advice - but shouldn't a slotloading CD reader handle the smaller
> > 3.15 inch CD discs as well?
>
> I fixed your sentence. You're welcome.

Thanks!

--
Sandman[.net]

Tim Adams

Oct 7, 2003, 7:04:55 PM10/7/03
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

> "Snit" <snit-...@cableone.net> wrote in message

> > I have an iMac (old style slot loading) that someone stuck a mini credit
> > card CD into... It does not show up on the desktop, nor can it be ejected
> > with the mini paperclip hole. Any ideas on how to get the blasted thing
> > out? Do I have to take it apart. Love Mac. Love the idea of slot
> > Not too fond of this problem.
>
> In Windows "Eject CD" is available in the contextual menu, and it works
> even if the CD drive is empty (opens the CD drawer). Then there's always
> the eject button on the CD drive...
>
> I guess the "Eject" is ghosted out on a Mac if a CD volume isn't mounted?
>
> I'm sure glad I switched to a computer that doesn't make me use a paperclip
> to open a drive drawer...

Poor little eddie still showing how he hasn't learned to read.

Just where on a slot loading CD drive is the CD drawer located?

> Edwin

Snit

Oct 7, 2003, 8:17:14 PM10/7/03
On 10/7/03 9:29 AM, in article blupkm$gjgui$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de,
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

> "Snit" <snit-...@cableone.net> wrote in message
>> I have an iMac (old style slot loading) that someone stuck a mini credit
>> card CD into... It does not show up on the desktop, nor can it be ejected
>> with the mini paperclip hole. Any ideas on how to get the blasted thing
>> out? Do I have to take it apart. Love Mac. Love the idea of slot
>> Not too fond of this problem.
>
> In Windows "Eject CD" is available in the contextual menu, and it works
> even if the CD drive is empty (opens the CD drawer). Then there's always
> the eject button on the CD drive...
>
> I guess the "Eject" is ghosted out on a Mac if a CD volume isn't mounted?
>
> I'm sure glad I switched to a computer that doesn't make me use a paperclip
> to open a drive drawer...
>

> Edwin

Not only have you offered nothing toward a solution of the problem, you have
shown a deep misunderstanding of the problem. Is it this same lack of
understanding and helpfulness that lead you to your current computer? Your
current job? What other areas in life do you show this level of ignorance
and perhaps even malice toward others?

Just curious.

Alan Baker

Oct 7, 2003, 10:27:15 PM10/7/03
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

> "Alan Baker" <alang...@telus.net> wrote in message
> > In article <blupkm$gjgui$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>,

> > "Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:
> >
> > > "Snit" <snit-...@cableone.net> wrote in message
> credit
> ejected
> thing
> > >
> > > In Windows "Eject CD" is available in the contextual menu, and it works
> > > even if the CD drive is empty (opens the CD drawer). Then there's
> always
> > > the eject button on the CD drive...
> > >
> > > I guess the "Eject" is ghosted out on a Mac if a CD volume isn't
> mounted?
> >

> > You guess wrong.
>
> Then why doesn't he use it to open the drawer? Because it's not present,
> rather than ghosted?

Because it doesn't *have* a drawer, you twit! It's a "old style slot

The only place the entry was "ghosted" was in your imagination.

> > > I'm sure glad I switched to a computer that doesn't make me use a
> paperclip
> > > to open a drive drawer...
> > >
> > > Edwin
> > >

> > You idiot. The problem is that the mini, "credit card", CDs shouldn't be
> > used in a slot loading CD drive. *Any* CD drive. The problem is
> > *physical*.
>
> On a PC, I'd pick "Eject CD" the drawer would open, and I'd pick the credit
> card CD out.
>

> I understood what the problem is. So stop calling me by your name.

Really?

Then why did you refer to a drawer that doesn't exist and a ghosted
command he never mentioned?

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

Alan Baker

Oct 7, 2003, 10:39:16 PM10/7/03
In article <blv8so$gqt25$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>,
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

You think that there is any iMac that shipped with a drive that eject a
'sleeve' or a '"CD carrier"'?

You're even more ignorant than I thought.

Alan Baker

Oct 7, 2003, 10:40:13 PM10/7/03
In article <mr-F18E55.20...@news.fu-berlin.de>,
Sandman <m...@sandman.net> wrote:

They actually will. They just won't handle the credit card (and other
irregularly shaped) ones.

Alan Baker

Oct 7, 2003, 10:40:55 PM10/7/03
In article <blv92c$g8mhg$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>,
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

Which is about the limit of your useful contributions to this thread...

Steve Mackay

Oct 8, 2003, 11:40:36 AM10/8/03

"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote in message

Slot load iMac came out Oct 1993 according to lowendmac.com .

> There were no similarly equipped PCs sold at the same
> time, unless you bought drives like that yourself and put them in.

Umm, no...

> > I really think they adjusted your meds wrong this time. You seemed
> much
> > more intelligent and pleasant to deal with last time around.
>
> Why bother trying to be pleasant? I get the same sh*tty replies from
> Maccies one way or the other...

Ahh, so the adjustments on your meds was on purpose? Did your doctor think
you were being too passive this time?

David C. Fritzinger

Oct 8, 2003, 12:33:48 AM10/8/03
In article <fELgb.16117$%C5....@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>, "Steve Mackay"
<steve_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I suspect a typo here. In 1998, there was no iMac...

Dave Fritzinger
[snip]

ZnU

Oct 8, 2003, 12:52:19 AM10/8/03
In article <mr-3473BF.23...@news.fu-berlin.de>,
Sandman <m...@sandman.net> wrote:

> In article <blv8so$gqt25$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>,
> "Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:
>
> > >I just want to ask you this - what "CD
> > > Drawer" is there to open in a slot loading CD reader? :-D
> >
> > I'm calling the thing that comes out in your hand a "drawer." So
> > sue me.
>
> Eh? You are calling the CD disc a drawer?
>
> > Call it a sleeve or a "CD carrier" instead, if it suits you better.
>
> What?? Are you actually talking about a CD caddie??
>
> Oh my god - here I thought you just misunderstood the OP, but you
> actually thought he had a kind of CD reader that not only is ages
> old, but also hasn't been on any Mac, let alone a iMac.

Actually, Macs did use these, in the distant past. They were used in the
Centris and Quadra machines (my Quadra 660 AV used one), and also in
(some?) first-generation Power Macs.

It's hilarious that Edwin thinks they were used in iMacs.

[snip]

--
"First, let me make it very clear, poor people aren't necessarily killers. Just
because you happen to be not rich doesn't mean you're willing to kill."

George Graves

Oct 8, 2003, 1:44:49 AM10/8/03
Sandman <m...@sandman.net> wrote:

> In article <gmgravesnos-E33C...@news.sf.sbcglobal.net>,
> George Graves <gmgra...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <BBA835A9.29784%snit-...@cableone.net>,
> > Snit <snit-...@cableone.net> wrote:
> >

> Good advice - but shouldn't a slotloading CD reader handle the smaller 3.15
> inch CD discs aswell?

You'd think so, but this one (a Panasonic model) did not.

--
George Tirebiter asked you, "If it's a disk problem, then
why did (PC Magazine) say that the G4 also kicked Dell's ass when loading the
controls was added to the time?"

And Whine-Idiot answers: "It was a misprint"

George Graves

Oct 8, 2003, 1:50:46 AM10/8/03
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

> "George Graves" <gmgra...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> > In article <blupkm$gjgui$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>,
> > "Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:
> >

> > > "Snit" <snit-...@cableone.net> wrote in message

> credit
> ejected
> thing
> > >

> > > In Windows "Eject CD" is available in the contextual menu, and it works
> > > even if the CD drive is empty (opens the CD drawer). Then there's
> always
> > > the eject button on the CD drive...
> > >
> > > I guess the "Eject" is ghosted out on a Mac if a CD volume isn't
> mounted?
> >

> > That makes a lot of f**king sense. If "Eject" is ghosted when a CD
> > volume isn't mounted, how the GODDAM HELL do you open it to insert a CD?
>
> Well, you got me there...
>
> > It's obviously jammed, you putz. Tell you what. Get a CD jammed in your
> > name-on-request drawer-style generic Windows CD reader and see what good
> > your "Eject" command in the contextural menu does and BTW, OSX's
> > contextural menu has an "Eject" command in it as well. Just like on a
> > Windows PC, it won't eject a JAMMED DISK either!
>
> He's got an old iMac with a slot drawer, so he probably doesn't have Mac OS
> X.

What difference does it make, the eject command won't eject a stuck disk
no matter where it's located

> [snip]
>
> Bile soaked hypocrisy snipped.

The "bile", as you put it, is fully justified. The guy comes here for
help and all you can do is gloat over a Windows feature that not only
won't help a Mac user with a stuck disk, it won't help a Windows user
with a stuck disk EITHER. At least I gave him a procedure which MIGHT
help him. You gave him NOTHING. So how is it that I'm hypocritical
again? I await your answer.

George Graves

Oct 8, 2003, 1:55:50 AM10/8/03
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

> "Alan Baker" <alang...@telus.net> wrote in message

> > In article <blupkm$gjgui$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>,
> > "Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:
> >
> > > "Snit" <snit-...@cableone.net> wrote in message
> credit
> ejected
> thing
> > >
> > > In Windows "Eject CD" is available in the contextual menu, and it works
> > > even if the CD drive is empty (opens the CD drawer). Then there's
> always
> > > the eject button on the CD drive...
> > >
> > > I guess the "Eject" is ghosted out on a Mac if a CD volume isn't
> mounted?
> >

> > You guess wrong.
>
> Then why doesn't he use it to open the drawer? Because it's not present,
> rather than ghosted?
>

> > > I'm sure glad I switched to a computer that doesn't make me use a
> paperclip
> > > to open a drive drawer...
> > >

> > > Edwin

> > You idiot. The problem is that the mini, "credit card", CDs shouldn't be
> > used in a slot loading CD drive. *Any* CD drive. The problem is
> > *physical*.
>
> On a PC, I'd pick "Eject CD" the drawer would open, and I'd pick the credit
> card CD out.

You idiot. It would NOT come out if the disk was jammed because the
drawer WON'T open and no combination of contextural menus or eject
buttons is going to open a drawer or operate an eject mechanism that is
being PHYSICALLY RESTRAINED from moving by the jamming of the object
inside.

> I understood what the problem is.

Apparently you didn't. The eject button only works if the mechanism is
not jammed. It is clear from his description that this credit-card CD is
jammed in the mechanism

So stop calling me by your name.

In this case the use of the name is fully warranted.

George Graves

Oct 8, 2003, 1:57:53 AM10/8/03
In article <blv3ie$gummu$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>,
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

Even a tray won't open if the media is jammed inside. This isn't a
command problem that a paper-clip can solve, Edwin, this is a jammed
mechanism due to physically stuck media.

George Graves

Oct 8, 2003, 2:00:12 AM10/8/03
In article <071020031534334601%lloydp...@nospammac.com>,
Lloyd Parsons <lloydp...@nospammac.com> wrote:

And whatever they had, no command or eject button or pareclip will free
a mechanism jammed by a stuck disk on ANY platform.

C Lund

Oct 8, 2003, 4:03:34 AM10/8/03

> I have an iMac (old style slot loading) that someone stuck a mini credit
> card CD into... It does not show up on the desktop, nor can it be ejected
> with the mini paperclip hole. Any ideas on how to get the blasted thing
> out? Do I have to take it apart. Love Mac. Love the idea of slot loading.
> Not too fond of this problem.

I've never even *seen* one of these slot-loading players but; would it
be possible to pull the thing out with a tweezer?

--
C Lund, www.notam02.no/~clund

Alan Baker

Oct 8, 2003, 5:31:18 AM10/8/03
In article <fELgb.16117$%C5....@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>,
"Steve Mackay" <steve_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

It's a typo, or you read it wrong.

The original iMac came out in 1998.

<snip>

Steve Mackay

Oct 8, 2003, 8:50:15 AM10/8/03

"David C. Fritzinger" <dfri...@nospam.hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message

Sorry, it was MY typo. It should have said 1999

Steve Mackay

Oct 8, 2003, 8:50:31 AM10/8/03

"Steve Mackay" <steve_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Woops, should have said 1999

Sandman

Oct 8, 2003, 9:48:35 AM10/8/03
In article <znu-007CE5.0...@news.fu-berlin.de>, ZnU <z...@acedsl.com>
wrote:

> > > Call it a sleeve or a "CD carrier" instead, if it suits you better.
> >
> > What?? Are you actually talking about a CD caddie??
> >
> > Oh my god - here I thought you just misunderstood the OP, but you
> > actually thought he had a kind of CD reader that not only is ages
> > old, but also hasn't been on any Mac, let alone a iMac.
>
> Actually, Macs did use these, in the distant past. They were used in the
> Centris and Quadra machines (my Quadra 660 AV used one)

Ok, I stand corrected. While CD was optional on the 660AV, it was obviously a
caddie if you choose to use one. You seem to be quite right about centris
models also.

> and also in (some?) first-generation Power Macs.

Hmm, I think you're wrong. I had both the 6100 and the 8100, and those had CD
trays. and all my collegues that had 7100 and 71/7200 had trays aswell. That
older version that didn't had a "lid", but the front of the CD readers tray was
what you say in closed position.

> It's hilarious that Edwin thinks they were used in iMacs.

:)

--
Sandman[.net]

Sandman

Oct 8, 2003, 9:51:04 AM10/8/03
In article <blvf8q$6la$1...@driftwood.ccs.carleton.ca>,
Kevin <nom...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> > What?? Are you actually talking about a CD caddie??
> >
> > Oh my god - here I thought you just misunderstood the OP, but you actually
> > thought he had a kind of CD reader that not only is ages old, but also
> > hasn't
> > been on any Mac, let alone a iMac.
>

> This particular neutral third party observer agrees, I think he thought
> you guys were talking about caddy drives.

Edwin does that alot - he misinterpretes something wildly and then draws
advocacy conclusions from that and come back with what he thinks are neat
points of PC advocacy, until he realises that he was wrong all along, which is
when he'll be blakmikng others, backpeddaling and insult people.

> Hence the statement that PC's haven't come with those for 9-10 years.

True, which is also true for Macs.

> Hint: it's the same kind of technology you use in your car's CD player..

Which one? Slot loading or caddie? I think you're talking about slot loading.

--
Sandman[.net]

Sandman

Oct 8, 2003, 9:55:41 AM10/8/03
<steve_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Like usual, you are wrong. Dell and Micron both used slot load CD
>>> drives during the same era. I've got one sitting here next to me
>>> running as our web/mail/file server running debian. The Micron
>>> DEFINATELY wasn't a cheap PC back then.
>>
>> Back then? iMacs were sold with slot loading CDs only within the
>> last two or three years.
>
> Slot load iMac came out Oct 1993 according to lowendmac.com .

I don't know where on lowend you got that information, but iMac with
slot-loading was introduced in October 1999, not 1993.

That makes it four years.

--
Sandman[.net]

Snit

Oct 8, 2003, 10:55:40 AM10/8/03
On 10/8/03 1:03 AM, in article
clund-57F101....@amstwist00.chello.com, "C Lund"
<cl...@NOSPAMnotam02.no> wrote:

Tried that. Opening is too small. Grrrrr.....

Edwin

Oct 8, 2003, 1:30:29 PM10/8/03

> In article <blv3ie$gummu$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>,
> "Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:
>
> > "Sandman" <m...@sandman.net> wrote in message

> > be

> > credit
> > >
> > > There isn't a "drawer" on a slot-loading CD reader, Edwin. :-D
> >
> > You're right. Sorry, not even cheap PCs have a crummy CD loader like
> > that... you'd have to go back, what, 9, 10 years to find a PC with a
> > slot-loading CD?
>
> Even a tray won't open if the media is jammed inside. This isn't a
> command problem that a paper-clip can solve, Edwin, this is a jammed
> mechanism due to physically stuck media.

That's your assumption. The original poster never said the media was stuck
or jammed.

Edwin

Edwin

Oct 8, 2003, 1:33:22 PM10/8/03

> In article <blv92c$g8mhg$1...@ID-56786.news.uni-berlin.de>,
> "Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:
>
> > "Sandman" <m...@sandman.net> wrote in message

> > [snip]
> >
> > > Good advice - but shouldn't a slotloading CD reader handle the smaller
> > 3.15
> > > inch CD discs as well?
> >
> > I fixed your sentence. You're welcome.
> >
> > Edwin
> >

> Which is about the limit of your useful contributions to this thread...

How ironic.

Edwin

Edwin

Oct 8, 2003, 1:37:10 PM10/8/03

"Steve Mackay" <steve_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Umm, yes...

> > > I really think they adjusted your meds wrong this time. You seemed
> > much
> > > more intelligent and pleasant to deal with last time around.
> >
> > Why bother trying to be pleasant? I get the same sh*tty replies from
> > Maccies one way or the other...
>
> Ahh, so the adjustments on your meds was on purpose? Did your doctor think
> you were being too passive this time?

This from the guy who was whining about boring, unoriginal replies...

Edwin

Edwin

Oct 8, 2003, 1:39:14 PM10/8/03

"Steve Mackay" <steve_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Now take the time to fully admit how wrong you were.

PCs weren't coming with slot load CD drives in 1999.

Edwin

Edwin

Oct 8, 2003, 1:40:36 PM10/8/03

"Steve Mackay" <steve_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

You should have also admitted that you were wrong about PCs from the same
time period having slot load CDs.

Edwin

Edwin

Oct 8, 2003, 1:44:14 PM10/8/03

"Alan Baker" <alang...@telus.net> wrote in message

You're splitting hairs. See below.

> The only place the entry was "ghosted" was in your imagination.

I didn't imagine any such thing. See below.

> > paperclip

> > > You idiot. The problem is that the mini, "credit card", CDs shouldn't
be
> > > used in a slot loading CD drive. *Any* CD drive. The problem is
> > > *physical*.
> >
> > On a PC, I'd pick "Eject CD" the drawer would open, and I'd pick the
credit
> > card CD out.
> >
> > I understood what the problem is. So stop calling me by your name.
>
> Really?
>
> Then why did you refer to a drawer that doesn't exist

There's a carrier that you put the CD into. I called it a drawer. Sue me.

>and a ghosted
> command he never mentioned?

I asked if the command was ghosted, I didn't say it was. I mentioned it as
a way to eject the CD.

Edwin

Edwin

Oct 8, 2003, 1:46:25 PM10/8/03

"George Graves" <gmgra...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

That's your assumption. He just said it wouldn't eject, ne never said
anything about anything being "jammed."

> > I understood what the problem is.
>
> Apparently you didn't. The eject button only works if the mechanism is
> not jammed. It is clear from his description that this credit-card CD is
> jammed in the mechanism

That's no more "clear" than his CD drive is defective. That's just as
possible from his description.

> So stop calling me by your name.
>
> In this case the use of the name is fully warranted.

For yourself and Alan.

Edwin

Edwin

Oct 8, 2003, 1:47:55 PM10/8/03

"George Graves" <gmgra...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

It's only your assumption that the disk is stuck.

> > [snip]
> >
> > Bile soaked hypocrisy snipped.

More bile soaked hypocrisy snipped.

Edwin