m68k Cross-Assembler for FreeBSD or Linux

Lorenz Born

Feb 1, 2020, 4:33:33 PM2/1/20
Hi there

I'm wondering what Cross-Assembler are used from members of this group
on FreeBSD or Linux? Are there any tools that you could recommend?

BR Lorenz

Bruce Mardle

Feb 2, 2020, 3:53:55 PM2/2/20
I built a version of the GNU binutils (including the assembler) on Cygwin under Windows, targetting 68k, several years ago. I don't remember it being particularly difficult. I imagine it would be equally easy hosted on BSD or Linux. Actually, I vaguely remember building it on a Raspberry Pi, too, but I don't have that with me now to check.

I wrote a little utility to convert the resulting ELF file into a boring binary file I could program into non-volatile RAMs using a board I added to a Raspberry Pi.

I also built the GNU C compiler, but I never got a working libc, which the C compiler relies on surprisingly often :-(

Marc J.

Feb 2, 2020, 4:43:09 PM2/2/20

Bruce Mardle

Feb 3, 2020, 5:09:08 AM2/3/20
On Saturday, 1 February 2020 21:33:33 UTC, Lorenz Born wrote:
I've also used http://www.easy68k.com/
(My 68k-programming is on hold until I add a serial interface to my homebrew. Could be some time!)

Marc J.

Feb 3, 2020, 8:56:43 AM2/3/20
Bruce,

Are you the guy how bought a lot of MC68012 on Ebay years ago?

Bruce Mardle

Feb 3, 2020, 9:05:17 AM2/3/20
On Monday, 3 February 2020 13:56:43 UTC, Marc J. wrote:
> Are you the guy how bought a lot of MC68012 on Ebay years ago?

That's me! Did I sell you 3? Do they work? I still haven't used any of the other 14, though I've got a PGA socket waiting. You'd think at least I could manage a 'NOP' test circuit [rolls eyes] :-)

Incidentally, if anyone's reading this thread and wants a version of Easy68k that can assemble 68010 or 68012 instructions, I built one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tsi2cet44nlt3c2/EDIT68K.exe?dl=0
(The simulator won't understand the 'new' instructions and till almost certainly give the wrong timings for the 010's loop mode.)

Bruce Mardle

Feb 3, 2020, 9:08:07 AM2/3/20
On Monday, 3 February 2020 13:56:43 UTC, Marc J. wrote:
> Are you the guy how bought a lot of MC68012 on Ebay years ago?

I occasionally dream up 68012 circuits, e.g. having 1 GiB address memory and the other 1 GiB address an MMU's page table.

Marc J.

Feb 3, 2020, 9:40:33 AM2/3/20
Yes, It's me. For now, like you, not tested or used.

Marc J.

Feb 3, 2020, 9:43:02 AM2/3/20
With a customized version of OS-9 :-)

coinst...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2020, 8:37:19 PM2/3/20
Bruce,
Is your 68012 still available for sale? I was just talking to a member on retrobrewcomputers forum who has several 68012 and interested in a redesigned version of Tiny68K (https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=boards:sbc:tiny68k)
that uses 68012 instead. I've successfully running 68010 on Tiny68K with patched CP/M68K, so it should be just a new board layout to accommodate the 68012. The redesigned board should have more room to put in a couple expansion bus. So, my question is do you have a couple 68012 that you can sell me? Maybe we can get a small user group of 68012 together.
Bill

coinst...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2020, 2:02:02 PM2/4/20
Looking into 68012 datasheet. The ability to address 2 G of address is impressive, but 68010 is not particularly fast so all these added memory space seems wasted, unless there are specific applications it is targeting for. I plan to revise my Tiny68K to accommodate 68012. Tiny68K already has 16 meg of memory that I can't fully utilize. I can certainly increase the memory to 64 meg, but is there something else I should be designing for?
Bill

Lorenz Born

Feb 6, 2020, 5:04:02 PM2/6/20
Am 01.02.20 22:33, schrieb Lorenz Born:
Dear all

Thank you all for your very appreciated help, suggestions and information.
--
Lorenz Born