68040 history - tech data

a1_noc...@hotmail.com

Jan 2, 2006, 8:10:52 AM1/2/06
It just came up the other day, someone asked my about the various
revisions of the 68040 and their abilities, heat dissipation, bugs,
overclocking ability. I had to turn to google to compile some data.

If anyone here can add to the information I've collected I'd appreciate
it

-----------------------------------

In 1989 it went into production as the XC68040RCxxyy originally a 0.8um
masks (D43B, D50D, D98D, E31F) part. These run exceptionally hot even
at 25MHz and need heatsinks all the time.

http://www.freescale.com/files/shared/doc/pcn/PCNR00274.html

In 1995 the 68040 qualified to mc status. It was shrunk to a 0.65um
mask (E42k) these parts run hot at 25MHz but _dont_ need heatsinks,
famous in MAC circles for overclocking. There are some XC 0.65um parts
from 1992-95 with the mask E26A but I am unsure as to their
availability, heat dissapation or overclockability.

http://www.freescale.com/files/shared/doc/pcn/PCN5606.txt

In 2000 the 68040 was shrunk to a 0.57um mask (K63H) these run a lot
cooler that all previous parts and again do not need heatsinks at
25MHz+.

http://www.freescale.com/files/shared/doc/pcn/PCN8219.htm

Finally in 2002 the last MC68040RCxxA mask was made (L88M) production
was moved back to MOS11 FAB, again at 0.57um, with increased
reliability (which should favour overclocking even more).

There were probably intermediate mask revisions, but I have no
information (yet) about them.

Some XC chips have a H in their title, e.g. XC68040HRC33E Not quite
sure what the H stands for.

There were several revisions of some chips. The revision is the last
digit on the end of the number, some have no letter, some go all the
way to M. I do not fully understand the version numbers.

I would imagine the best 68040 to get for an Amiga would be an
MC68040RC40A with mask L88M, it should run coolest and support the best
overclocking.

Steven Graham

May 22, 2006, 6:24:40 AM5/22/06
a1_noc...@hotmail.com wrote:

> In 1989 it went into production as the XC68040RCxxyy originally a 0.8um
> masks (D43B, D50D, D98D, E31F) part. These run exceptionally hot even
> at 25MHz and need heatsinks all the time.

Interesting, my BPPC has a D43B and it doesn't get that hot, no heat
sync needed.