m68k.info chat: with Volker Barthelmann on C-Compiler development

Carsten Strotmann

May 26, 2021, 8:33:08 AM5/26/21
Date: Friday 28th of May 2021, 20:30 H CEST (18:30H / 06:30 PM UTC)

Information: http://m68k.info

In the upcoming m68k chat we will talk to Dr. Volker Barthelmann,
developer of the vbcc compiler, vasm assembler and vlink linker.

vbcc is a highly optimizing portable and retargetable ISO C compiler.
It supports ISO C according to ISO/IEC 9899:1989 and most of ISO/IEC
9899:1999 (C99).

vbcc runs on and can produce code for a large number of platforms,
such as m68k, Coldfire, PowerPC, 65(C)02, i386 (Linux, NetBSD),
VideoCore IV (RasperryPi GPU) and even for the Z-Machine (Infocom
Text-Adventure VM).

See Volker's homepage http://compilers.de/ for
more information on the vbcc compiler toolkit.

--
Carsten Strotmann

marb...@yahoo.co.uk

May 27, 2021, 12:48:27 PM5/27/21
Interesting!
I tried getting the output of gcc to run on my 68010 homebrew some years ago, but, even though I wasn't explicitly calling any libc functions, gcc was outputting code that called, e.g., memcpy. (I couldn't get the source for that to compile.)

Carsten Strotmann

Jun 2, 2021, 4:49:29 AM6/2/21
gcc has the options "-nostdlib", "-nodefaultlibs", "-nostartfiles",
"-ffreestanding" to prevent linking with libc (which is done because
libc contains some startup code).

<https://renenyffenegger.ch/notes/development/languages/C-C-plus-plus/GCC/options/no/compare-nostartfiles-nodefaultlibs-nolibc-nostdlib>

See also Guide: GCC and Bare Metal Programming <https://cs107e.github.io/guides/gcc/>

The video recording from last weeks m68k chat is online now at:
<https://m68k.info/#vbcc:c:compiler:video:may2021>

--
Carsten Strotmann