looking for EPROM emulator

Curtis Hrischuk

Feb 10, 1994, 8:37:46 PM2/10/94
Hi. I am looking for an EPROM emulator. Something I can download hex
files to, that looks like an EPROM to my circuit card. I know these
things exist. Can someone send me their experience with them, and a
place to buy them.

Thanks

Curtis
| Curtis Hrischuk | Boundaries of Science: |
| c...@sce.carleton.ca | 1) How did I get here? |
| Carleton University | 2) Why am I here? |
| Ottawa, On. ,Canada, K1S-5B6 | 3) What happens when I leave? |
| Ph (613) 788-2600 x1762 | "The proof is almost identical to the previous|
| FAX (613) 788-5727 | proof and hence omitted here."(actual quote) |

ry...@ryang2.mese.com

Feb 12, 1994, 8:29:00 AM2/12/94
c...@anik.sce.carleton.ca (Curtis Hrischuk) writes:
>Hi. I am looking for an EPROM emulator. Something I can download hex
>files to, that looks like an EPROM to my circuit card. I know these
>things exist. Can someone send me their experience with them, and a
>place to buy them.

We use units from a place called Technical Solutions. They attach to
the parallel printer port of a PC, and can be configured for EPROM's from
8K up to 1M. Hex and binary downloads are supported in Intel and Motorola
formats. You can also string them together for systems that need 2 or 4
chips. Saves a *lot* of time, but rather pricey (~$300 for the 1M version).
I'd have to scrounge for the number... Surely they are advertised in Personal Engineering, or some kind of similar embedded systems magazines...
--
Rob Yang Software Engineer Wabco PTD Spartanburg, SC
Lyman, South Carolina, USA (803) 433-5900 x6375 ry...@ryang2.mese.com

Geoff Espin

Feb 12, 1994, 2:12:51 PM2/12/94
c...@anik.sce.carleton.ca (Curtis Hrischuk) writes:

>Hi. I am looking for an EPROM emulator. Something I can download hex

Lately we've been using NetROM. It's an Ethernet to serial line router,
with ROM cabling for ROM size 64K - 4Mbit or more. It's about $5K,
plus extra for cables. It's fast! You can use binary, or S-records, ...

XLNT Design Inc. NetROM (619)487-9320 FAX (619)487-9768
15050 Avenue of Science, Ste 106
San Diego, CA 92128

Their on the Internet but I don't have a "inquiries" address (@xlnt.com).

Geoff
Geoff Espin ge...@wrs.com (510)748-4100
Wind River Systems
1010 Atlantic Avenue Alameda CA 94501

Craig Keithley

Feb 15, 1994, 12:43:02 PM2/15/94
In article <geoff.7...@wrs.com>, ge...@wrs.com (Geoff Espin) wrote:

> c...@anik.sce.carleton.ca (Curtis Hrischuk) writes:
>
> >Hi. I am looking for an EPROM emulator. Something I can download hex
>
> Lately we've been using NetROM. It's an Ethernet to serial line router,
> with ROM cabling for ROM size 64K - 4Mbit or more. It's about $5K,
> plus extra for cables. It's fast! You can use binary, or S-records, ...
>
> XLNT Design Inc. NetROM (619)487-9320 FAX (619)487-9768
> 15050 Avenue of Science, Ste 106
> San Diego, CA 92128

Let's see, perusing a copy of Embedded Systems Programming...

PROMICE (serial, SCSI/Parallel optional)
Grammar Engine, Inc.
3314 Morse Road
Columbus Ohio 43231
(614) 471-1113
(They have support for both Mac & PC)

Intelligent Rom Emulator (Parallel)
B&C Microsystems, Inc.
750 N. Pastoria Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94086
(408) 730-5511

ROM-IT EPROM Emulation System (serial)
Incredible Technologies, Inc.
(708) 437-2433

(then there's an ad with no product name, and no phone number...)
Technical Solutions
PO Box 462101
Garland, TX 75046

TRE-200
Tribal Microsystems, Inc.
44388 S. Grimmer Blvd
Fremont, CA 94538
(510) 623-8859

And from the pages of Circuit Cellar Ink, The Computer Applications
Journal,
there's a really interesting product:

Dataman S4 by Dataman Programmers, Inc.
I haven't used one, but it's both a PROM programmer AND emulator for $795.
According to the ad, it'll run at the PC's max baud rate (115200), programs
& emulates devices up to 1Mbig (128k), upgradable to 4Mbit (512k). It
supports binary, ASCII, Intel, Motorola, and Tek file formats. But wait,
there's more: It has a display & keypad for editing the data in it... All
in all, it _sounds_ great. I'll have to get one, one of these days.

Dataman S4 (serial)
Dataman Programmers, Inc.
22 Lake Beauty Drive, Suite 101
Orlando, FL 32806
(407) 649-3335 or 800-DATA-336

Other ads in Circuit Cellar Ink:
TurboROM EPROM Emulator (via PC's parallel port)
Parallax, Inc.
6359 Auburn Blvd, Suite C
Citrus Heights, CA 95621

This is the result of 10-15 minutes of flipping through some magazines.
Except for PROMICE, which I use and like, I can't speak to the quality of
any of the other Emulators. Some of the ads weren't in the more recent
issues, but that might not mean anything. I recommend you grab a copy of
both Circuit Cellar Ink, and Embedded Systems Programming. They've got
lots of cool ads, with the occasional vaguely interesting article ;-).

Circuit Cellar Ink - The Computer Applications Journal
The Computer Appplications Journal Subscriptions
PO Box 3050
Sutheastern, PA 19398
(215) 630-1914

Embedded Systems Programming
PO Box 420046
Palm Coast, FL 32142-0046
(800) 829-5537

Craig
--
Craig Keithley | "We've got computers, we're tapping phone lines,
Apple Computer, Inc. | I know that ain't allowed."

Roger Moyers

Feb 15, 1994, 1:40:37 PM2/15/94
In article <geoff.7...@wrs.com>, ge...@wrs.com (Geoff Espin) writes:
|> c...@anik.sce.carleton.ca (Curtis Hrischuk) writes:
|>
|> >Hi. I am looking for an EPROM emulator. Something I can download hex
|>
|> Lately we've been using NetROM. It's an Ethernet to serial line router,
|> with ROM cabling for ROM size 64K - 4Mbit or more. It's about $5K,
|> plus extra for cables. It's fast! You can use binary, or S-records, ...
|>
|> XLNT Design Inc. NetROM (619)487-9320 FAX (619)487-9768
|> 15050 Avenue of Science, Ste 106
|> San Diego, CA 92128
|>
|> Their on the Internet but I don't have a "inquiries" address (@xlnt.com).

Information on our NetROM product can be obtained by mailing to:

net...@xlnt.com

please include postal address and phone number if you would like complete
product information.

-roger

|> Geoff
|> --
|> --
|> Geoff Espin ge...@wrs.com (510)748-4100
|> Wind River Systems
|> 1010 Atlantic Avenue Alameda CA 94501

--
--- Roger Moyers
--- XLNT Designs Inc. (XDI)
--- 15050 Avenue of Science Suite 106
--- San Diego, CA 92128 USA
--- Voice: (619)487-9320 Fax: (619)487-6798 email: ro...@xlnt.com

Jay Wherley

Feb 15, 1994, 1:43:21 PM2/15/94
Geoff Espin (ge...@wrs.com) wrote:
: c...@anik.sce.carleton.ca (Curtis Hrischuk) writes:

: >Hi. I am looking for an EPROM emulator. Something I can download hex

We are very happy with the PROMice device. Check the adds in the back
of Embedded Systems Journal and you will see loads of these things.
We connect a PROMice to the serial port on an NCD Xterm and then can
directly load a file from any UNIX box on the net to that serial port.
Works well and reasonably fast.

jrw

--
Jay Wherley