Spam

Brian Cockburn

Dec 12, 2023, 7:18:34 AM12/12/23
Hi to the owner and moderators. Could you remove (or block) the spammers, please?

Thanks, Brian.

David Schultz

Dec 12, 2023, 10:13:22 AM12/12/23
On 12/12/23 6:18 AM, Brian Cockburn wrote:
> Hi to the owner and moderators. Could you remove (or block) the spammers, please?
>
> Thanks, Brian.

Usenet groups have no owners. There are moderated groups but they all
have "moderated" somewhere in their name.

The problem is that someone is exploiting Google's indifference to their
posting spam via groups.google.com. The only thing Google has done so
far is to mark some (comp.arch being the only example I know of) groups
as read only at groups.google.com

You can (and I am) marking posts as spam at googlegroups.com. Maybe
eventually this will have an effect. It probably helps if I am not the
only one doing it.

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.m6809

--
http://davesrocketworks.com
David Schultz

Brian Cockburn

Dec 12, 2023, 6:41:21 PM12/12/23

> You can (and I am) marking posts as spam at googlegroups.com. Maybe
> eventually this will have an effect. It probably helps if I am not the
> only one doing it.

I'll join your effort.

Cheers, Brian.

Brian Cockburn

Dec 12, 2023, 6:46:23 PM12/12/23
> Usenet groups have no owners. There are moderated groups but they all
> have "moderated" somewhere in their name.

Ah! Usenet, that brings back memories. A million years ago I was slightly
involved in starting cam.misc (the Cambridge UK chat group).

I use a few groups.io groups and they are more disciplined. Sadly:
https://groups.io/search?q=6809&p=SubsCount%2C%2C%2C20%2C2%2C0%2C0

Cheers, Brian.