Wanted: Hacks for the Toshiba T1000 or T1000SE

Christopher Williamson

Jun 26, 1990, 4:18:22 PM6/26/90
Has anybody either:

-=- Upgraded your RAM to 2MB in a T1000SE
(there are leads on the internal board for 1 more MB)

-=- Burned your own software onto EPROMs
(seems simple enough to do, those are 600K ROMs and it
may even take a bigger EPROM. Your favorite applications
without burning battery!)

-=- Got an external EGA monitor hooked up to your T1000SE

I am seriously considering burning my own EPROMs to put my favorite
shareware UNIXish utilities, Emacs, Laplink, PCKwik, etc...

I will post a summary to the net. Thanks!

Chris

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
What I have said above may or may not be fact, you be the judge...

Christopher Williamson | cwil...@brillig.umd.edu | Arpa/InterNet
Human-Computer Int Lab | cwilliam@UMDD | BitNet
Univ. of Maryland |...!uunet!brillig!cwilliam| UUCP
College Pk, MD 20740 | (301) 454 - 1517 | If all else fails

" Horses are born trying to kill themselves.
The best we can do is make it difficult for them... "

Dave Taylor

Jun 26, 1990, 8:41:25 PM6/26/90
Christopher Williamson at UMD writes:

> -=- Upgraded your RAM to 2MB in a T1000SE
> (there are leads on the internal board for 1 more MB)

You can get a 1 or 2 MB memory upgrade board from Toshiba, y'know.
It evidentally fits into a custom slot on the CPU board (or it might
be SIMMs; I don't quite have my SE on hand yet)

> -=- Burned your own software onto EPROMs
> (seems simple enough to do, those are 600K ROMs and it
> may even take a bigger EPROM. Your favorite applications
> without burning battery!)

That's a VERY interesting idea. Are you suggesting that we
*replace* the MSDOS EPROM? Or are there unused EPROMS on the
board (why?) or extra chip spaces (why?) that would be recognized
by the operating system?

Certainly as a concept, a "Microsoft Works EPROM" would be
lovely to add to my yet-to-be-purchased 1000SE...

-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

tay...@limbo.intuitive.com or {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

Leo Hinds

Jun 27, 1990, 9:35:50 AM6/27/90
In article <8...@limbo.Intuitive.Com> tay...@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:
>Christopher Williamson at UMD writes:
>
>> -=- Upgraded your RAM to 2MB in a T1000SE
>> (there are leads on the internal board for 1 more MB)
>
>You can get a 1 or 2 MB memory upgrade board from Toshiba, y'know.
>It evidentally fits into a custom slot on the CPU board (or it might
>be SIMMs; I don't quite have my SE on hand yet)

Yes, but the credit card style memory upgrade is *EXPENSIVE*. If you
(or any of your friends) is handy at soldering .050" pitch leads
(20 per chip, 8 chips + caps), then for a mere fraction of the
"Official Toshiba 1MB upgrade card", & (most importantly a voided
warrantee) you can get a 1MB upgrade.

le...@hdw.csd.harris.com Leo Hinds (305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

Michael Portuesi

Jun 27, 1990, 4:59:45 AM6/27/90
> tay...@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:
>>Christopher Williamson at UMD writes:
>>
>>> -=- Upgraded your RAM to 2MB in a T1000SE
>>> (there are leads on the internal board for 1 more MB)
>>
>>You can get a 1 or 2 MB memory upgrade board from Toshiba, y'know.
>>It evidentally fits into a custom slot on the CPU board (or it might
>>be SIMMs; I don't quite have my SE on hand yet)

> Yes, but the credit card style memory upgrade is *EXPENSIVE*. If you
> (or any of your friends) is handy at soldering .050" pitch leads
> (20 per chip, 8 chips + caps), then for a mere fraction of the
> "Official Toshiba 1MB upgrade card", & (most importantly a voided
> warrantee) you can get a 1MB upgrade.

I just bought a third-party 2MB memory expansion card for my T1000XE
for $395. This was an acceptable price for me. It's made by a
company called Apricorn and it works flawlessly. I now have 2.4 MB of
EMS memory that I'm using for a RAM disk, the PC-Kwik hard disk cache,
and more EMS memory for applications such as Epsilon.

You could try calling the place I bought mine from to see if they have
any available:

Portable Land
5112 Lindley Ave
Encino, CA 91316
(818) 892 0254
(818) 895 8660

I bought my T1000XE from them as well, for $1725. They advertised the
T1000SE for $1029, though these prices are about two months old. They
add a 2% surcharge to all credit card orders. With UPS ground
shipping, the memory card arrived at my home in San Francisco the next
day.

I am very interested in hearing more about the leads on the internal
board for one more MB. If this can be exploited, the 1000SE/XE can be
expanded to 4 MB RAM, or maybe the fictional "EPROM full of utilities"
can be stuck in there.

--M
--
__
\/ Michael Portuesi Silicon Graphics, Inc. port...@sgi.com

"man, this is weak."

Robert Watson

Jun 28, 1990, 6:59:59 AM6/28/90
In article <PORTUESI.90...@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> port...@sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>I just bought a third-party 2MB memory expansion card for my T1000XE
>for $395. ........

This is a *great* price, ever since I got my 1000SE I've been "hanging out"
at computer stores hoping to get a bargain on the memory upgrade.
After unpacking the 1000SE I saw the Toshiba Direct booklet and called
about the 2Mb ramcard, "Oh yes sir, that will be available in 2 months,
for <gasp> $1236", I think I actually dropped the phone, I then enquired
whether she was joking, apparently she did not even have a sense of humor.

On a totally unrelated issue....
I use Procom Plus to dial into my SPARCstation, not knowing much about
terminal emulation I chose at random the tvi925 emulation. It works OK most
of the time but occasionally I get....

001C001C001C001C001C001C001C001C001C001C001C
011R001C

and other such stuff inserted in vi. Anyone know what this might be?
--
Robert Watson Internet: wat...@Eng.Sun.COM
Sun Microsystems, Inc UUCP: ...!sun!watson

Michael Portuesi

Jun 29, 1990, 9:09:01 AM6/29/90

> There are also third party cards available for less; I had one company
> quote me $595 for an undisclosed card, and Portable Land in Encino (LA)
> quoted me $395 for the Apricorn 2MB card. Amusingly, when I called PL
> back to get on their waiting list (they're waiting for the cards to come
> in from the manufacturer) the sales person said they were $495. I pointed
> out that a previous person ("Michael") had quoted $395 and they backed off,
> indicating that they'd "have to go with that price then...".

That is interesting. I bought my T1000XE from Portable Land about two
months ago. They called me about a week and a half ago to tell me
that they had just received a shipment of 2 MB cards, and since I had
expressed interest when I ordered my machine, would I like to buy one?
I distinctly did not remember inquiring about 2 MB memory cards, but
after they quoted $395 I asked if they could reserve one for a short
time while I made a decision. I suspect they just simply went through
their past customer list and made up the part about "expressing
interest" in order to try to generate sales. But heck, the price was
pretty good, so I gave the offer serious thought.

When I called them back to tell them I wanted to buy the card, they
asked me, "What price did we quote you on the card?" to which I
replied $395. If I had been dishonest, I could have given them a
completely different price and they might have fallen for it. On the
other hand, the price they quoted was so close to the (unknown to me
at the time) dealer cost that if I had made up a price, they might
have caught me!

Also, when they were figuring shipping, they quoted me $10. After
complaining that $10 was a bit expensive to ship a two ounce memory
card halfway across the state via UPS, they cut it down to $8. They
explained that they still had to charge for insurance and whatnot.

Moral of the story is: These people will sell you product, and they
seem reliable enough (both orders I placed with them were serviced
extremely quickly), but they seem a bit shifty about price. The
advantage to this is that you may be able to bargain with them if you
are sufficiently crafty.

Dave Taylor

Jun 29, 1990, 12:06:59 PM6/29/90
Robert Watson of Sun Microsystems comments:

> ... ever since I got my 1000SE I've been "hanging out" at computer

> stores hoping to get a bargain on the memory upgrade. After unpacking
> the 1000SE I saw the Toshiba Direct booklet and called about the 2Mb

> ramcard, "Oh yes sir, that will be available in 2 months, for $1236"...

Whatever place you were at that quoted that price, they are TO BE AVOIDED!
I was on the phone yesterday to Toshiba PR (Hill and Knowlton, the same
folk, ironically, that do PR for Nintendo of America) and they told me
that the *list price* on the memory card from Toshiba is $1000. In the
computer business, discounts of 30% or more are common, which means that
the street price for a Toshiba 2MB card should be about $700.

There are also third party cards available for less; I had one company
quote me $595 for an undisclosed card, and Portable Land in Encino (LA)
quoted me $395 for the Apricorn 2MB card. Amusingly, when I called PL
back to get on their waiting list (they're waiting for the cards to come
in from the manufacturer) the sales person said they were $495. I pointed
out that a previous person ("Michael") had quoted $395 and they backed off,
indicating that they'd "have to go with that price then...".

Meanwhile, I ended up calling Apricorn directly and flashing my press
credentials and so I'm going to be buying it directly from their PR
group. The cost to dealers, btw, for the card is $350, so if they tell
you that "$450 is at their cost" or something, then they're full of it!

> On a totally unrelated issue....
> I use Procom Plus to dial into my SPARCstation, not knowing much about
> terminal emulation I chose at random the tvi925 emulation. It works OK most
> of the time but occasionally I get....
>
> 001C001C001C001C001C001C001C001C001C001C001C011R001C

Hmm...what kind of flow control do you have enabled in both Procomm Plus
and on the SPARCstation? (use "stty all" on your SPARC to see what's
turned on, and then check it against the Procomm settings). My guess
is that you're occasionally overwriting your receive buffer, a problem
that "vi" is notorious for unearthing!

Also you might choose a vt100 type setting too; that's usually the best
emulation in most terminal emulators, from my experience.

Good luck!

jon...@gmail.com

May 26, 2019, 9:31:14 PM5/26/19
Just got mine booted up and I've not written old dos in a while. What command shuts this off. Lol