Sony Vaio TV-out

PB

Jul 6, 2003, 9:18:17 AM7/6/03
I am considering buying a used VAIO, and one of the main things I wish to
use it for are connecting to my TV and playing DivXs on it. But I haven't
been able to find out much about the TV-out option on Sonys, are they in the
form of an S-video port of the side or back of the laptop? Or do they use a
dongle, and if so, what kind of output ports are on this?

Also, I've heard that Sony doesnšt allow you to play DVDs on the TV-out.
This isnt important for me, but would I have any problems with DivX, etc
(I'd be using Windows XP)?

Thanks.

Emanuel Brown

Jul 6, 2003, 12:13:19 PM7/6/03
On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 13:18:17 +0000 (UTC), PB <p...@dlcproject.com> wrote:

>I am considering buying a used VAIO, and one of the main things I wish to
>use it for are connecting to my TV and playing DivXs on it. But I haven't
>been able to find out much about the TV-out option on Sonys, are they in the
>form of an S-video port of the side or back of the laptop? Or do they use a
>dongle, and if so, what kind of output ports are on this?

This varies depending on model. My C1 has a tv-out dongle that uses
RCA jacks to the television. I was watching Dark City using it just
last night.

>Also, I've heard that Sony doesnšt allow you to play DVDs on the TV-out.
>This isnt important for me, but would I have any problems with DivX, etc
>(I'd be using Windows XP)?

As for Sony's not letting you play DVDs, you may be thinking of
Macrovision; I use a DVD ripper to remove that when I put movies on
the hard drive. If you're converting to Divx you'll be ripping the
movies from disc as well, and can do the same thing.
Emanuel

--
Portable Computing FAQ - http://home.att.net/~epbrown01
Sony VAIO 505 info - http://home.att.net/~epbrown01/sony505.html

Saul

Jul 6, 2003, 12:19:41 PM7/6/03
On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 13:18:17 +0000 (UTC), PB <p...@dlcproject.com> wrote:

Hi

My Vaio FX-503 plays DVDs superbly via the supplied lead, which has a
mini jack plug at one end (fits laptop) and phono plug the other (to
video in on TV).

Saul

PB

Jul 6, 2003, 3:30:47 PM7/6/03
On 6/7/03 5:13 pm, in article bfiggv4ceu98c81hs...@4ax.com,
"Emanuel Brown" <epbr...@att.net> wrote:

> This varies depending on model. My C1 has a tv-out dongle that uses
> RCA jacks to the television. I was watching Dark City using it just
> last night.

Is there any way to use S-Video out as composite isnt great quality? Some of
the docking stations have this port, so could there perhaps be an
appropriate adapter?

Greg

Jul 7, 2003, 4:34:33 PM7/7/03
You won't notice much difference in composite and s-video coming out a
laptop. Both type pretty much suck. If you want to watch a dvd then get a
stand alone player with s-video or component out. I never had understood why
someone would want to use a computer to watch movies on their tv's.

"PB" <p...@dlcproject.com> wrote in message

Quaoar

Jul 7, 2003, 6:40:51 PM7/7/03

Travel.

Emanuel Brown

Jul 7, 2003, 9:59:04 PM7/7/03
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:34:33 -0500, "Greg" <adi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>You won't notice much difference in composite and s-video coming out a
>laptop. Both type pretty much suck. If you want to watch a dvd then get a
>stand alone player with s-video or component out. I never had understood why
>someone would want to use a computer to watch movies on their tv's.

Never been on the road? Who the heck wants to carry a GameBoy,
portable DVD player, and a laptop?
The coolest thing about the Picturebook is that now that it's been
hot-rodded up a bit (320MB RAM, 60GB drive), it's a full entertainment
system and decent workstation. I've got about a dozen favorite movies
ripped to the drive, hours of MP3s, MAME and assorted favorite arcade
games, along with Office Suite and other productivity software - all
in one Kg package.
I literally have to keep it's capabilities under wraps on trips
with colleagues or I'll never get the little bugger back when I
actually want to do some work. It's an almost perfect hotel/airport
companion.

The Bartman

Jul 8, 2003, 7:18:47 AM7/8/03
Hi!

Can you please specify what kind of cable are you using on your vaio?
An URL would be great.
(I need one, but I'm not sure what kind of cable will work ...).

Until now I have found this
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008ZGSD/104-6842354-0005513?v=glance,
but I'm not sure if it will work.

I have asked Sony ... but they have no idea :(( ...

Thanks,
Chris.

"Saul" <sa...@aol.com> wrote in message

Greg

Jul 8, 2003, 4:04:04 PM7/8/03
"I am considering buying a used VAIO, and one of the main things I wish to
use it for are connecting to my TV and playing DivXs on it. But I haven't
been able to find out much about the TV-out option on Sonys, are they in the
form of an S-video port of the side or back of the laptop? Or do they use a
dongle, and if so, what kind of output ports are on this?

Also, I've heard that Sony doesnšt allow you to play DVDs on the TV-out.

This isnt important for me, but would I have any problems with DivX, etc
(I'd be using Windows XP)?

ThanKS"

Do you see anything in the original post about using it on the road? Read
the original post before responding.

"Emanuel Brown" <epbr...@att.net> wrote in message

Greg

Jul 8, 2003, 4:26:52 PM7/8/03
That should work. The AV out on a sony is the same as the av out on a
camcorder. 1/8th mini plug to video composite out and rca jacks for the
sound.

"The Bartman" <som...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

PB

Jul 8, 2003, 5:36:45 PM7/8/03
On 7/7/03 9:34 pm, in article c7adnTevKrr...@arkansas.net, "Greg"
<adi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You won't notice much difference in composite and s-video coming out a
> laptop. Both type pretty much suck. If you want to watch a dvd then get a
> stand alone player with s-video or component out. I never had understood why
> someone would want to use a computer to watch movies on their tv's.

What do you mean that the outputs 'suck'? I have plugged my computer's video
card into my TV by composite before and the quality was fine. S-Video should
be even better (sharper and none of that fringing around edges of colour)...
So unless theres something wrong with the TV or cables, whats the problem?

Greg

Jul 8, 2003, 5:55:25 PM7/8/03
I have yet to see a tv out on a video card produce the same quality and
aspect ratio correctness as a stand alone player. When I say quality I am
referring to aspect ratio and screen centering. I have been using tv out
since I've had my ATI Xpert at Play 98. I still have yet to see a video card
that you can plug into a television without modifying various options on the
computer.

"PB" <p...@dlcproject.com> wrote in message

Emanuel Brown

Jul 8, 2003, 7:46:17 PM7/8/03
On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 15:04:04 -0500, "Greg" <adi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Do you see anything in the original post about using it on the road? Read
>the original post before responding.

Greg, you dumb ass, I already responded to the original poster; I
was responding to *your* post, which didn't specify that you meant
only the original poster. Are you now saying you don't understand why
the original poster would want to use video out, rather than saying
you didn't understand why *anyone* would?
Emanuel

PB

Jul 8, 2003, 8:45:45 PM7/8/03
On 8/7/03 10:55 pm, in article y_Wdndlyvad...@arkansas.net, "Greg"
<adi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have yet to see a tv out on a video card produce the same quality and
> aspect ratio correctness as a stand alone player. When I say quality I am
> referring to aspect ratio and screen centering. I have been using tv out
> since I've had my ATI Xpert at Play 98. I still have yet to see a video card
> that you can plug into a television without modifying various options on the
> computer.

True, but shouldn't these settings be saved after the first time you set
them?

David Brooks

Jun 21, 2023, 5:37:02 AM6/21/23
On 06/07/2003 14:18, PB wrote:
> I am considering buying a used VAIO, and one of the main things I wish to
> use it for are connecting to my TV and playing DivXs on it. But I haven't
> been able to find out much about the TV-out option on Sonys, are they in the
> form of an S-video port of the side or back of the laptop? Or do they use a
> dongle, and if so, what kind of output ports are on this?
>
> Also, I've heard that Sony doesn¹t allow you to play DVDs on the TV-out.
> This isnt important for me, but would I have any problems with DivX, etc
> (I'd be using Windows XP)?
>
> Thanks.

FYI, Tim - THIS is the first post I see in these 'laptop' newsgroups!

Have a grand day!

(Cross-posted to ACW too!)

--
David

T i m

Jun 21, 2023, 8:54:43 AM6/21/23
What?

Cheers, T i m

David Brooks

Jun 21, 2023, 10:33:47 AM6/21/23
See Message-ID: <k0ate6...@mid.individual.net>

YOU posted it! ;-)

http://al.howardknight.net/?ID=168735798400

HTH :-)

T i m

Jun 21, 2023, 12:27:40 PM6/21/23
On 21/06/2023 15:33, David Brooks wrote:
<snip>

>> What?
>
> See Message-ID: <k0ate6...@mid.individual.net>
>
> YOU posted it! ;-)

Sorry, I was hoping you had a point, other than another example of you
being some sort of sad stalker?

> http://al.howardknight.net/?ID=168735798400
>
> HTH :-)

I doubt you would be starting now?