Libretto 100CT not booting!

Gary Boag

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
Can anyone help me out.

I have a Toshiba Libretto 100CT and when I press the power button to switch
the machine on, the power-on LED illuminates and there is a slight flicker
from the hard drive LED then absolutely nothing.
I can hear the hard drive spinning up slightly then it stops and there is
also nothing on the screen.
Once in this state, I cannot switch off the machine using the power-on-off
button, I have to remove the battery to power-off the machine.

Has anyone encountered this problem? If so, I would be delighted to hear
from you.

Regards,

Gary Boag
I.T. Engineer,
BBC Scotland.

kosk...@sca-serv.com

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98

> I have a Toshiba Libretto 100CT and when I press the power button to switch
> the machine on, the power-on LED illuminates and there is a slight flicker
> from the hard drive LED then absolutely nothing.
> I can hear the hard drive spinning up slightly then it stops and there is
> also nothing on the screen.
> Once in this state, I cannot switch off the machine using the power-on-off
> button, I have to remove the battery to power-off the machine.
>
> Has anyone encountered this problem? If so, I would be delighted to hear
> from you.

My company has had similar problems with our fleet of Toshiba Satellite 110's
One solution I've found usually works is:
1) Unplug machine
2) Remove Battery
3) Remove HD Drive (easy on a 110.. don't know about Libretto)
4) Press and hold Power switch for 5 seconds.
5) Re-install everything in reverse steps.
*If this doesn't work, then the HDD might have gone bad

Again, this worked on our 110/CS's but the problem sounds the same.
I cannot find any information from either Toshiba, our Repair shop or Net
as to a cause of this problem.

Good luck,

David Koski

Foxbat

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98

>> I have a Toshiba Libretto 100CT and when I press the power button to
switch
>> the machine on, the power-on LED illuminates and there is a slight
flicker
>> from the hard drive LED then absolutely nothing.
>> I can hear the hard drive spinning up slightly then it stops and there is
>> also nothing on the screen.
>> Once in this state, I cannot switch off the machine using the
power-on-off
>> button, I have to remove the battery to power-off the machine.
>>
>> Has anyone encountered this problem? If so, I would be delighted to hear
>> from you.

Yes, had couple of times. First, when you power on the machine, make sure
you keep press the button long enough (about 1 sec). And remember when this
problem happens, DON't press the button again. The button is not a real
power on/off button, it depends on how it's set up in BIOS. When things
screwed, the button is screwed up too. Try the reset button first(the hole
beside the PC slots). If this does not work, disconnect AC power and take
out the battery and wait couple seconds and put the battery back in. After
boot into windows 9x, do a hibernation to cleanup the hibernation disk
content. I suspect this problem is caused by using the hibernation mode. I
avoide to use hibernation mode at all time. Use suspend to memory instead.
The L100 consumes very little power in suspend to memory mode compared to
other libretto models.

Lawrence Young