Cracked In Shell Pecans Mississippi

Lenora Glanzer

Dec 6, 2023, 6:37:05 AM12/6/23
We use well established Pecan Handling Procedures for Maintaining a Safe, Sanitary and Professional Workplace. These procedures detail how we handle pecans for cracking and our requirements for delivery of in-the-shell pecans to our facility for cracking. They are documented in our Comal Pecan Handling Procedures.

Well, these Texas pecans are cracked to expose the nut meats and to aid in the removal of the pecan shell. Once shelled, the pecan halves and pieces will be ready for your pecan recipes. These pecans generally yield about 50% meat and 50% shell. The ease and convenience of fresh shelled pecans make this a great deal.

Cracked In Shell Pecans Mississippi
Download https://t.co/6FzO0VElvy

Look no further! Custom cracked pecans are a favorite of Millican Pecan customers. There are a lot of companies selling grade 2 pecans that were harvested several years ago, but our pecans are harvested this season, providing you with Fresh Grade 1 Pecans. These Texas pecans are cracked to expose the nut meats and to aid in the removal of the pecan shell. Once shelled, the pecan halves and pieces will be ready for your pecan recipes. These pecans generally yield about 50% meat and 50% shell. The ease and convenience of fresh shelled pecans make this a great deal.

Like most produce, pecans have a shelf life. Depending on how well you store them and whether they still have their shells, pecans can last for a long time. To maximize the shelf life of pecans, try to keep them in airtight receptacles such as sealed plastic bags or rigid plastic containers.

Shelled pecans are more likely to go rancid and are more prone to absorbing tastes and odors from other foods in your refrigerator. When protected by their natural shells, pecans generally last longer. Around room temperature, in-shell pecans can last for up to 4 months. At chillier temperatures, they can last for much longer. Frozen, in-shell pecans can remain good for several years.

Unshelled pecans can last between two and four years in the freezer and taste great when you take them out. Roasted, salted or candied pecans also do well in the freezer, thanks to the extra layer of insulation. The freezer can protect pecans from pests, humidity, heat and other factors that would cause them to go rancid or bad. When you take your pecans out of the freezer, taste them before using them for recipes to ensure they are still fresh.

Unshelled pecans retain the protective benefits of their natural shell. Storing in-shell pecans offers a bit more leeway as the shells provide protection from insects, molding and moisture that shelled pecans miss out on. However, both shelled and unshelled pecans can be stored easily for a convenient and healthy ingredient or snack.

Our mission at Natchitoches Pecans is simple: to provide the best pecan products and customer service to everyone at the lowest prices possible. We take great pride in providing the best pecans, pecan candies, shelled pecans, and gifts available as well as our unsurpassed commitment to customer service. Ordering direct from us, the grower, helps ensure that our customers receive only the freshest pecans and pecan candies. Our retail store is located on our plantation in Cloutierville where you can buy gifts and pecans directly from us.

Our online store is designed to provide a safe and secure environment to browse our product catalog and purchase our nuts and accessories online. If you are looking for some of the freshest Louisiana pecans for your Mom's pecan recipe to make delicious pecan pies, or a unique holiday or all occasion gift basket, simply browse our online pecan store where you are sure to find delightful selections that satisfy every pecan craving from simple to gourmet. We offer in-shell pecans, natural shelled halves, pecan pieces, cracked, candied, and spiced pecans, pecan gift baskets or tins, and more. Our prices include delivery within the continental United States.

Answer: The BEST way to keep your pecans fresh at home is to keep them in the freezer at 32 degrees Fahrenheit (0 degrees Celsius). Keep the bag sealed tightly so no moisture can get in. This method will allow you to extend the shelf life of in-shell pecans to about 24 months, shelled pecans to 24 months and cracked pecans to 12 months.

Answer: Absolutely! Freezing your pecans is the best way to store them. You can extend the shelf life of shelled pecans up to 2 years by freezing them. Just make sure that you put them in an air-tight, heavy duty freezer bag.

As one might expect, the greatest benefit of these pecans is the fact that their shells are as thin as paper, hence their name. Not only are the nuts easily accessible, but the pecan inside is a little bit sweeter than other varieties. Who needs a nutcracker when these delicious nuts can be easily opened and enjoyed by everyone in the family?

Berdoll Pecan Farm, located off Texas 71 in Cedar Creek, is a family owned and operated pecan farm. Started by the Berdoll family in 1980, the farm has grown to 340-acres with over 15,000 trees in its orchard and 90,000 in its nursery growing pecans varieties including Choctaw, Pawnee, Wichita, Kiowa, and Cheyenne. A processing plant and candy kitchen were added next to the retail store in 2011. Over 26 billion individual in shell pecans were either cracked or shelled in the processing facility each year, with over 36,000 cups of pecans reserved for the famous Berdoll Pecan pies.

First, sort the pecans: Sort and examine the pecans. If, by chance, any pecans are cracked or damaged, throw them away. You should also throw away any nut shells that rattle, as they have likely gone bad.

Boil the pecans: This is one option for prepping to shell pecans and some believe boiling the pecans before shelling makes the process much easier. If you decide to go with this option, boil the pecans in a large pot for 10-15 minutes. Allow the pecans to cool before starting the cracking process.

What characteristics are desirable in pecans?

The U.S. Department of Agriculture is looking into breeding work that aims to produce disease and insect resistant strains of pecan, with vigorous growth and more branching, adequate foliage, early nut maturity, easy opening shucks and easy to shell kernels.

How do the various cultivars differ from each other?

In general, about half of the pecans of commerce are native, while the remainder originates from standard varieties of cultivars developed during the past 50 years. Pecans of these improved varieties are generally larger than seedling nuts and have thinner shells. Different varieties of pecan produce nuts which vary in size from under inch to more than 1 inch in diameter, from to 2 inches in length, yielding roughly 40-200 nuts per pound. As for oil content ? this may range from under 50% to more than 75%, with varying degrees of unsaturation. In view of medical reports suggesting the benefits of unsaturated fats, pecans are highly desirable nutritionally.

How are pecans harvested, stored and marketed?

Years ago pecan nuts were allowed to drop from the trees and were harvested by hand from the ground. These practices have gradually been replaced by mechanical systems, including tree shakers, nut sweepers, vacuum harvesters, conveyors and trash separators. Nuts can now be mechanically shaken from the tree in fifteen seconds, picked from the ground, cracked and shelled, virtually untouched by a human hand.

Pecans harvested mechanically by tree shakers have a higher moisture content than nuts which drop naturally to the ground. It is vital to dry the nuts by blowing warm, dry air upon them for 9 to 17 hours, as their moisture content must be reduced as soon as possible to 4%. Once dried, nuts should be refrigerated in a controlled climate in order to maintain high product quality for up to one year. For longer periods of storage, freezing is recommended. At present, most pecans which are to be shelled are stored under refrigeration directly from the orchard, and shelled just prior to marketing. The unbroken shell protects the nutmeats from contamination, discoloration, insect and mold damage.

Mechanical equipment has been developed and improved to size, crack, shell, grade, dry and package pecans. 85% of pecans are marketed shelled, while 15% is sold in the shell. Shelling the nuts increases their susceptibility to damage by insects, oxidation, mold and bacterial contamination.

Pecan shelling plants are located the Southeast and Southwest, as well as in Chicago and other cities. Prior to shelling the nuts are sorted and sized. Then they are conditioned by being soaked in tanks of warm water or they are steamed. This process makes the kernels limp, so they are less likely to break during cracking and shelling. Ideally the shell should shatter easily while the kernels should be pliable. Additionally, the F.D.A. requires that sufficient heat be applied during the conditioning process to kill any bacteria that may lurk in the pecans. Force is applied to each nut in order to crack it, following which the pecans are shelled and shaken to remove the middle partition. Then the kernels are screened and separated into various sizes of halves and pieces, dried and rapidly cooled. Defective kernels and foreign matter are removed before the kernels are packaged into as many as 38 different sizes of halves and pieces.

There is a large demand for pecans in bakery and confectionery products. 36% of shelled pecans are sold to bakeries, 21% to confectioners, and the remainder to grocery-wholesalers, retailers, dairies for ice cream production, and some others.

Pecans are graded according to size, and quality, as well as color. In-shell pecans are bleached or washed in wet sand, and then waxed, polished and dyed before being packed in window-type cartons for sale. During shelling great care must be taken to prevent bruising of the kernels, which causes an oily film to migrate from the nutmeats. This results in rancidity.

Pecan butter is a desirable flavor in milkshakes and other foods but is not popular as a sandwich spread because of its strong, bitter taste. Pecan shells are used as gravel for driveways and walks, fuel for steam boilers and mulch for ornamental plants. Reduced to flour they are an ingredient in airplane engine cleaner, rug cleaner, and a filler in insecticides, fertilizers, veneer wood and polyesters. Pecan wood and veneer are in high demand for decorative paneling, fine furniture and attractive flooring. The pecan is also very popular as a beautiful, decorative addition to home landscaping, providing shade and nuts to its proud owners.

eebf2c3492