Packard Bell 286

Peter Galvin

Aug 23, 1990, 1:29:50 PM8/23/90
I saw a Packard Bell 286xxx (I don't remember what the x's were) at a
local A/V superstore. It's a 286 with 1mb ram, 20mb hard disk, and
backlit display. It felt heavy, maybe 15 lbs? But the price was
$1499. Anyone know anything about this system? I'll summarize any
--Peter

------------------------------------------ --------------------------------
Peter Baer Galvin (401) 863-7623
Systems Manager, Brown Univ. Comp. Sci. p...@cs.brown.edu
Box 1910 (115 Waterman Street) uunet!brunix!pbg
Providence, RI 02912 (02906) p...@browncs.bitnet

ne...@mnopltd.uucp

Aug 24, 1990, 12:57:04 PM8/24/90

->I saw a Packard Bell 286xxx (I don't remember what the x's were) at a
->local A/V superstore. It's a 286 with 1mb ram, 20mb hard disk, and
->backlit display. It felt heavy, maybe 15 lbs? But the price was
->$1499. Anyone know anything about this system? I'll summarize any

I have a PB286lp, which is actually a Mitsuba ?????. Used it for about
six months now. It was (and maybe still is) about the least expensive
fast 286 around. Only drawbacks I found are:
- Screen is either CGA or Hercules. If you pick hercules, you
lose end of the screen. (748 - 640 pixels) This did not affect
any software I was using, so I don't mind.
- Actual battery life is long; about 3 hours. HOWEVER, the damn
thing starts beeping after about 1.5 hours.

BTW, you can stuff 4 regular simms in it to get either 2mb or 5mb.

When I bought it, it was around $2K, and everything else was $3K. ( I
refuse to spend more than $2K on ANY equipment that gets schlepped around
a lot. ) If I had the same choice TODAY, I would get something that
has the EGA screen and spend the extra $500 as opposed to the wierd screen
and $1.5K. But this stuff gets cheaper every month, and portables only
last so long before something gives out...

Neal Rhodes MNOP Ltd (404)- 972-5430
President Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247 Fax: 978-4741
emory!mnopltd!neal