Thinkpad T60 (2007) Windows 7 Video driver

Dietrich

Aug 13, 2013, 6:18:24 PM8/13/13
I am looking for a video driver for a Lenovo Thinkpad T60 notebook.
Windows 7 (32-bit) allways installs a standard driver.
The vista driver "79d533ww.exe"does not work.

Who can help?

Dietrich

~misfit~

Aug 19, 2013, 8:50:07 PM8/19/13
Hi Dietrich,

What graphics subsystem does your T60 have? Is it Intel integrated (Media
accelerator 950), ATI X1300 or ATI X1400?

Better yet can you please supply the 7 character type number found just
efore the serial number on the bottom of the machine (for instance this
one's 2007-72U).

Cheers,
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

Volker Zehner

Aug 20, 2013, 5:01:53 AM8/20/13
Have you already tried the lenovo system update tool?
I am using it to keep my R61 and T420 updated

http://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkvantage_en/systemupdate502-06-26-2013.exe

Volker

"Dietrich" wrote in message

~misfit~

Aug 20, 2013, 10:39:35 PM8/20/13
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Volker Zehner wrote:
> Have you already tried the lenovo system update tool?
> I am using it to keep my R61 and T420 updated
>
> http://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkvantage_en/systemupdate502-06-26-2013.exe

I use that but it's not the tool it was when IBM were running the show. It's
got progressively less useful since about 2008 or so (the last time I could
completely rely on it).

There was a time (2008 and earlier) when the only driver you needed to
manually download on a clean install was the ethernet driver (or wifi if
that's your thing). Then you'd run ThinkVantage System Update and it'd not
only list everything needed for your machine (and then some) but it's get it
right every time. You'd select all of your hardware and let it run. Once
done there'd be no question marks or similar in Device Manager.

Now all it seems to 'get right' is the bloatware. Oh, one or two drivers
seem to load but you won't be able to run it and get a 'clean' Device
Manager like you used to.

Annoying as I regularly install Windows on ThinkPads. In fact I'm doing an
install on a 1951-BT2 T60 now (and did a 2623-A11 a couple days ago). Now
TVSU is only good for ~25% of what you need, all of the rest has to be done
manually. This is just one of the things Lenovo has done that devalues the
ThinkPad brand (but has made them #1 computer manufacturer in the world).

Dietrich

Sep 3, 2013, 4:27:33 AM9/3/13
On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 12:50:07 +1200, "~misfit~"
<shaun.at...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

please excuse the delay of my answer. The owner oft the thinkpad is a
friend and I had to meet him before.

The Number of The T60 is: TYPE 2007-42G

We installed Windows 7 Professional 32Bit and Windows installed only
the standard graphics driver.

~misfit~

Sep 4, 2013, 1:52:56 AM9/4/13
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dietrich wrote:

Hi again,
No problem with the delay, I check here at least once a week anyway.

I know there is no T60 / Win 7 driver on the Lenovo site. Have you got
ThinkVantage System Update installed?

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS012808

You might have to run it a few times before it offers a driver. From what I
can tell most people are running version 8.561.0.0, published on 12/1/2008.

Post back if that doesn't work for you, I'll see if I can think of something
else.

You could try installing the Vista version from Lenovo as, despite the name,
Windows 7 is in fact Windows major ver. 6.1 meaning that, at a pinch, it
will likely be able to use Vista's (Win. 6.0) drivers.

Microsoft had such a disaster with Vista that they didn't want people to
think their next version was related to it. As Vista was 6.0 they
deliberately named their new version "7". Most of the time drivers are
compatible between the same major version. (XP was 5.2 and 2000 was 5.0,
they could usually use the same driver.)

BTW Windows 8 is in fact major version 6 also, it's 6.2. I'm not sure what
major version "Windows 8.1" is, likely 6.3. Crazy huh? Writing a new major
version is a hell of a job - that's why it's called 'major version', it's a
major undertaking.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724832%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Here's a really good bookmark for any ThinkPad owner:

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q=+site:forum.thinkpads.com&num=100&hl=en&lr=lang_en&newwindow=1&safe=off&as_qdr=all

That will search the best place in the world for info on anything ThinkPad;
forums.thinkpads.

Best of luck,
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

Dietrich

Sep 6, 2013, 3:23:59 PM9/6/13
On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 17:52:56 +1200, "~misfit~"
<shaun.at...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, Shaun,

I downloaded this:
>http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS012808

and installed it.

I got a notice, that a different packeage would be removed, and I
agreed.
Some missing programs appeared, e.g. the key for activating wlan was
installed.
I booted windows 3 or 4 times.
Finally, no new driver or program was found.
But no video driver was installed.
I tried to install the ATI Vista 32/64 driver but windows said, the
best driver ist already installed.
79d533ww or similar.

Dietrich

Dietrich

Sep 6, 2013, 3:25:59 PM9/6/13
On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 11:01:53 +0200, "Volker Zehner"
<volker...@sap.com> wrote:

>Have you already tried the lenovo system update tool?
>I am using it to keep my R61 and T420 updated
>
>http://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkvantage_en/systemupdate502-06-26-2013.exe
>
>Volker

Hi, Volker,

yes, I did, sse other message from today.

Dietrich

~misfit~

Sep 11, 2013, 9:30:09 PM9/11/13
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dietrich wrote:
Hi Dietrich,

I meant that you might need to run ThinkVantage System Update a few times
(over a day or two) - not just re-boot. It's a funny system that TVSU. It
used to be awesome - all that yoiu needed on a ThinkPad to ensure the
correct drivers, BIOS etc. were installed. Now it's /sometimes/ useful.

Can you please tell me again what the trouble is? Is the screen taking ages
to draw or something? If you were told when you tried to install that
package that the system already had the best driver installed then surely
there's an ATI driver installed? Which should work fine? Or do you want all
of the ATI catalyst stuff as well?

Best,