Let's do something about Microsoft

think_tank

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
Most people out there still think Micro$oft is the most innovative,
highest quality software company in the whole computing industry.
They love Bill Gates. Worst of all, they think that everyone agrees
on this. Those people don't normally read any computer related
newsgroups.
We need to heighten their awareness. This is a two-step procedure.
First, put a subliminal message in your .sig.. Some witty
Anti-Micro$oft quote or better yet a reference to the Micro$oft hate
page at http://www.oeh.uni-linz.ac.at:8001/~chris/HATE/hate.html
Blatant advocacy like "Linux forever" or "OS/2 rulez" won't do,
sorry. This will just make you look like an idiot.
Then post to groups where these people hang out, like rec.pets.cats
or rec.gardens.roses.
Be on-topic. Agree with what people say. This will make them curious
about your .sig.
They might start to investigate, and sooner or later they'll stumble
across the truth: that everyone hates Micro$oft. Voila, one less for
Billyboy.
The point is, as long as this anti Micro$oft sentiment is confined
to the nerdy world of computer scientists, Bill Gates couldn't care
less. It will take some uhh .. propaganda to get the word out.
Any other ideas?

Jeremy Bee

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95

> less. It will take some uhh.. propaganda to get the word out.
> Any other ideas?

Ever noitice how those people that are most concerned about the Microsoft
"conspiracy" are those most willing to start their own conspiracy.
Perhaps one can only spy the same motives in others that one knows exists
within ones self.

Jeremy

Dave Shuman

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
Jeremy Bee (b...@sfu.ca) wrote:

> Ever noitice how those people that are most concerned about the Microsoft
> "conspiracy" are those most willing to start their own conspiracy.
> Perhaps one can only spy the same motives in others that one knows exists
> within ones self.

I was really curious which of the M$ newsbots would get here first!!! <G>

So in *your* opinion only M$ is allowed to be a conspirator?? Or is it
your controller speaking through you?? I hope nobody takes this
conspiracy stuff *too* seriously, but it sure is amusing to see the
M$ newsbots pop out of the woodwork with NO sense of humor!!!!!

Dave S. Date: 15.06.95 , Time: 15:00:09 "If you think there
are no new frontiers, watch a boy ring the front doorbell on his
first date." - Olin Miller
------

Martin Nisshagen

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
Think Tank wrote:
>Most people out there still think Micro$oft is the most innovative,
>highest quality software company in the whole computing industry.
>They love Bill Gates. Worst of all, they think that everyone agrees
>on this. Those people don't normally read any computer related
>newsgroups.
>We need to heighten their awareness. This is a two-step procedure.
>First, put a subliminal message in your .sig.. Some witty
>Anti-Micro$oft quote or better yet a reference to the Micro$oft hate
>page at http://www.oeh.uni-linz.ac.at:8001/~chris/HATE/hate.html
>Blatant advocacy like "Linux forever" or "OS/2 rulez" won't do,
>sorry. This will just make you look like an idiot.
>Then post to groups where these people hang out, like rec.pets.cats
>or rec.gardens.roses.
>Be on-topic. Agree with what people say. This will make them curious
>about your .sig.
>They might start to investigate, and sooner or later they'll stumble
>across the truth: that everyone hates Micro$oft. Voila, one less for
>Billyboy.
>The point is, as long as this anti Micro$oft sentiment is confined
>to the nerdy world of computer scientists, Bill Gates couldn't care
>less. It will take some uhh .. propaganda to get the word out.
>Any other ideas?

Yes. Get a job that You enjoy instead! Or go out enjoy the compamy
of some friends and have fun! Maybe You would feel better if You
find some meaningful hobby to fill out your time with! Go out and
date some pretty girls!

This would maybe enhance your life more instead of 'hateing' things.

Take care,

m a r t i n n

--
m...@cd.chalmers.se
http://www.cd.chalmers.se/~mts

Xavier Messersmith

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
On 15 Jun 1995 Think@.MISSING-HOST-NAME. wrote:
> Most people out there still think Micro$oft is the most innovative,
> highest quality software company in the whole computing industry.
> They love Bill Gates. Worst of all, they think that everyone agrees
> on this. Those people don't normally read any computer related
> newsgroups.
> We need to heighten their awareness. This is a two-step procedure.
> First, put a subliminal message in your .sig.. Some witty
> Anti-Micro$oft quote or better yet a reference to the Micro$oft hate
> page at http://www.oeh.uni-linz.ac.at:8001/~chris/HATE/hate.html
> Blatant advocacy like "Linux forever" or "OS/2 rulez" won't do,
> sorry. This will just make you look like an idiot.
> Then post to groups where these people hang out, like rec.pets.cats
> or rec.gardens.roses.
> Be on-topic. Agree with what people say. This will make them curious
> about your .sig.
> They might start to investigate, and sooner or later they'll stumble
> across the truth: that everyone hates Micro$oft. Voila, one less for
> Billyboy.
> The point is, as long as this anti Micro$oft sentiment is confined
> to the nerdy world of computer scientists, Bill Gates couldn't care
> less. It will take some uhh .. propaganda to get the word out.
> Any other ideas?

Heres another idea, makes a bit more of an impact. Get a truck full of
jet fuel, park it under the MicroSloth headquarters, and push a red
button that convieniently ignites the fuel and levels a few blocks.

\|/ ImrcOsfo tUskc s ! (Subliminal enuff? :-)
@ @
*------------oOO-(_)-OOo-------------*------------------------------*
| __ ____ | A2000 7 MEGS RAM, 40 MEGS HD |
| ////\ /\/\ /\/ __ \/\ | The Amiga Community Lives! |
| __ //// /\ / / /\ / / / \/ /\ | \ / *-----------*
| \\\//// __ \/ _ _ \/ / (_/\/ __ \ | X |Idle/\/\/\/|
| \XX/ \/ \/\/ \/ \/\/\____/\/ \/ | / Caliber |Brains\/\/\|
| | \ @wco.com|Malfunction|
*------------------------------------*------------------*-----------*
Tomorrow's technology ten years ago!

Xavier Messersmith

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
On Thu, 15 Jun 1995, Xavier Messersmith wrote:
> Heres another idea, makes a bit more of an impact. Get a truck full of
> jet fuel, park it under the MicroSloth headquarters, and push a red
> button that convieniently ignites the fuel and levels a few blocks.

DON'T! This is a joke and is not a serious threat to either the makers of
really dull software or the people who live around their headquarters. I
don't know how to get jet fuel, nor do I even know where their
headquarters are.

\|/ P.S. all flames will be deleted

Michael P. Gohlke

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
On Thu, 15 Jun 1995, Xavier Messersmith wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jun 1995, Xavier Messersmith wrote:
> > Heres another idea, makes a bit more of an impact. Get a truck full of
> > jet fuel, park it under the MicroSloth headquarters, and push a red
> > button that convieniently ignites the fuel and levels a few blocks.

> DON'T! This is a joke and is not a serious threat to either the makers of
> really dull software or the people who live around their headquarters. I
> don't know how to get jet fuel, nor do I even know where their
> headquarters are.

Redmond, Washington. If you would like I can find out exactly where! :)

Rainald Menge

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
In article <3rps76$e...@osiris.wu-wien.ac.at> Think Tank writes:

> The point is, as long as this anti Micro$oft sentiment is confined
> to the nerdy world of computer scientists, Bill Gates couldn't care
> less. It will take some uhh .. propaganda to get the word out.
> Any other ideas?

Well, I agree with you that M$ sucks. But I don't think there is a
way of telling all those lamers about it. I even tried convincing
my friends - but they believe in M$. I guess the strategy is to be
happy using Linux and OS/2 - and laugh about those lamers. I like
to flame them sometimes in the newsgroups - which will not change
anyones opinion - agreed - but which makes me feel better and gives
other M$-flamers a good laugh. A friend of mine is a complete lamer
(I like him - but he doesn't know anything about computers). He
recently bought a Pentium at ESCOM!!!! (The worst store in Germany)
with 8MB (good way to slow down a computer when using a real OS.
Of cause OS/2 is too slow when running some apps. He really believes
that win96 will be faster (hehehe). He really thinks that he won't
have any trouble when installing win96 - while he had with OS/2
because Escom gave him a defect install disk.

So you see - Bill Gates will earn more money - there is no way
to stop those lamers - but as long as users will continue using
Linux and OS/2 those reals OSs will be supported and we will
have nice products. Who needs all those win-trash software
anyway???

- Rainald

|Rainald Menge, Cologne | Some people believe in windows |
|me...@rrz.uni-koeln.de | They also believe that the earth is flat |

Radaelli A

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
In article <3rqk65$i...@news3.digex.net> pro...@cnj.digex.net (Paul Probus) writes:
We need a standard OS so that
we can easily share files and programs and, with the exception of IBM Unix
OS's, all the popular IBM OS's are MS compatible and because there is some
competition IBM's OS/2 and PC-DOS and Novell's DOS add functions that MS's
DOS and Windows don't have.

If this was 12 years ago, you'd be crying that you can't trade your Apple 2
programs with your friends because they use Atari's or Commodores.
At least no there's a standard for the majority of PC's and that's
MS DOS/Windows.

I agree that we need some kind of standard to share files and the like,
but here is the problem: we need an OS where such capabilities are build
in, because add-ins would not work: I can't trust a MS-DOS client (e.g.)
trying to fetch some file's from my computer's Hard disk
because I could never be sure that he is who he claims to be (the same is
true for a lot of OS's btw)!!!! But all right, if you mean sharing programs
by exchanging floppy's or cd-roms, you are right: MS-dos will suffice ;-)

Alessio
http:/www.cs.vu.nl/~aradael/

PD. Scotney

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
Xavier Messersmith (xcal...@wco.com) wrote:
: On 15 Jun 1995 Think@.MISSING-HOST-NAME. wrote:
8< SNIP!
: > The point is, as long as this anti Micro$oft sentiment is confined

: > to the nerdy world of computer scientists, Bill Gates couldn't care
: > less. It will take some uhh .. propaganda to get the word out.
: > Any other ideas?

: Heres another idea, makes a bit more of an impact. Get a truck full of

: jet fuel, park it under the MicroSloth headquarters, and push a red
: button that convieniently ignites the fuel and levels a few blocks.

: \|/ ImrcOsfo tUskc s ! (Subliminal enuff? :-)
: @ @
: *------------oOO-(_)-OOo-------------*------------------------------*

Now this reminds me of a famous musical!
What was it?
Its not "Annie Get Your Gun".
I think the title begins with the letter 'O'.

Are well, not everyone loves capitalism.

--

Pierre....@bristol.ac.uk

Last night my wife hoovered my head.

Rune Moberg

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
In article <bee-150695...@lb2101.lib.sfu.ca>,
b...@sfu.ca (Jeremy Bee) wrote:

> In article <3rps76$e...@osiris.wu-wien.ac.at>, Think Tank wrote:
> Ever noitice how those people that are most concerned about the Microsoft
> "conspiracy" are those most willing to start their own conspiracy.
> Perhaps one can only spy the same motives in others that one knows exists
> within ones self.

I've noticed that IBM is probably much worse. They will not only sell you
one of their operating systems, but will also try to push 5-6 machines
on you as well. Then they'll promise you a new platform (incompatible with
their last architecture of course) and that they'll port their "popular"
operating system to that platform. Then they let you wait for approx.
one year, before they give up and release the hardware platform with only
a beta version of their operating system running! Oh btw, they'll let you
choose between that and an obscure UNIX clone. Luxury!

Stop the IBM conspiracy! Below is an example of a subliminal message.
Please spread!

=\
*=- R.Moberg, I *don't* use Wart, the overhyped operating system from IBM.
=/ Do *you*??? #<-$#-- Anti Wart zone! --#$->#

Paul Probus

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
In article <3rps76$e...@osiris.wu-wien.ac.at>, ThinkTank says...

>Most people out there still think Micro$oft is the most innovative,
>highest quality software company in the whole computing industry.
>They love Bill Gates. Worst of all, they think that everyone agrees
>on this. Those people don't normally read any computer related
>newsgroups.

Nope, however MS does put out some good S/W, no it's not perfect, but it's
good. Seems like you have an ax to grind with MS. I have to say that I've
bought software from smaller companies, and have been sorely disappointed.
Corel, for instance, didn't bother to send me my free Ventura 5.0 that I was
supposed to recieve once it was finished, when I upgraded from CorelDraw 3.0
to 5.0. I had to call them, they didn't even have me listed as a registered
user (yes I sent in the registration card _and_ the coupon for my free copy of
V 5.0). After giving them the serial number the salesman agreed to send it to
me (I got it a month and a half later). I posted a question to one of the MS
Windows newsgroups to see if anyone else got their copy of V 5.0, all did,
without having to do anything else. I also bought MathCAD 3.0 for Windows and
registered it. I never heard from Mathsoft until about 6 months after they
released MCAD 5.0! I bought and registered MS Word 2.0c, 6 months later 6.0
came out and MS mailed me an upgrade notice right after they released 6.0.
Corel and Mathsoft could learn a lesson from MS.

>We need to heighten their awareness. This is a two-step procedure.
>First, put a subliminal message in your .sig.. Some witty
>Anti-Micro$oft quote or better yet a reference to the Micro$oft hate
>page at http://www.oeh.uni-linz.ac.at:8001/~chris/HATE/hate.html
>Blatant advocacy like "Linux forever" or "OS/2 rulez" won't do,
>sorry. This will just make you look like an idiot.
>Then post to groups where these people hang out, like rec.pets.cats
>or rec.gardens.roses.
>Be on-topic. Agree with what people say. This will make them curious
>about your .sig.
>They might start to investigate, and sooner or later they'll stumble
>across the truth: that everyone hates Micro$oft. Voila, one less for
>Billyboy.

>The point is, as long as this anti Micro$oft sentiment is confined
>to the nerdy world of computer scientists, Bill Gates couldn't care
>less. It will take some uhh .. propaganda to get the word out.
>Any other ideas?

Yeah, why don't you stick your head back up your ass.

You seem to think that only MS is greedy and monopolistic, and yes they are,
however, let's take a look at Apple. Apple is the only company that was
allowed to make Mac's for 11(?) years, just now they're starting to allow Mac
clones. Don't forget that Apple is the only company allowed to make an OS for
the Mac, aside from the freeware Linux for Mac. So who's more greedy? MS or
Apple? I'd say it was Apple, and Apple's gamble, thankfully, backfired,
that's not to say that I don't like Mac's, I just don't like the idea that one
computer company has the total monopoly on it. Just look to the competition
in the IBM compatible computer industry. No we don't have much competition in
the OS area, but I think that's good, in a way. We need a standard OS so that

we can easily share files and programs and, with the exception of IBM Unix
OS's, all the popular IBM OS's are MS compatible and because there is some
competition IBM's OS/2 and PC-DOS and Novell's DOS add functions that MS's
DOS and Windows don't have.

If this was 12 years ago, you'd be crying that you can't trade your Apple 2
programs with your friends because they use Atari's or Commodores. At least
no there's a standard for the majority of PC's and that's MS DOS/Windows.

Paul Probus
pro...@cnj.digex.net

Igor Chudov @ home

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
Martin Nisshagen (m...@cd.chalmers.se) wrote:
* Think Tank wrote:
* >Most people out there still think Micro$oft is the most innovative,
... snip ...
* >Any other ideas?

* Yes. Get a job that You enjoy instead! Or go out enjoy the compamy
* of some friends and have fun! Maybe You would feel better if You
* find some meaningful hobby to fill out your time with! Go out and
* date some pretty girls!

* m...@cd.chalmers.se
* http://www.cd.chalmers.se/~mts
* mts @ IRC (on #MTS)

Hm, are you assuming that people with a job and a girlfriend cannot hate
microsoft? I run no Windoze or any other M$ sleazeware and am pretty
happy with my linux system. At least, it is secure and runs without
crashes for weeks.

Have phun,
--
- Igor. (My opinions only)

http://www.galstar.com/~ichudov/index.html <<----- CHANGED!!!

Joe Sloan

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
In article <3rps76$e...@osiris.wu-wien.ac.at>, <Think Tank> wrote:
>Most people out there still think Micro$oft is the most innovative,
>highest quality software company in the whole computing industry.
>They love Bill Gates. Worst of all, they think that everyone agrees
>on this. Those people don't normally read any computer related
>newsgroups.
>We need to heighten their awareness. This is a two-step procedure.
>First, put a subliminal message in your .sig.. Some witty
>Anti-Micro$oft quote or better yet a reference to the Micro$oft hate
>page at http://www.oeh.uni-linz.ac.at:8001/~chris/HATE/hate.html
>Blatant advocacy like "Linux forever" or "OS/2 rulez" won't do,
>sorry. This will just make you look like an idiot.

Fascinating idea - sort of "linux evangelists" - The linux cause is much
more attractive than microsofts, even though ms has the finances to take
out huge, slick ads in all the trade rags...

Who knows, maybe it will have an effect...

--
Joe Sloan j...@engr.ucr.edu http://dostoevsky.ucr.edu
Linux95 - Real Power NOW! "What do you want to wait for today?"

jpa...@news.epix.net

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
If you want to do something about Microsloth, get them to start using
Windoze as the main OS for their programming group instead of OS/2.
They'll never get any applications out the door!

They won't use Winjunk because it's so unstable. They've been using OS/2
for years but neglect to admit it to people. Have a friend who's brother
does Wintrash programming at Microsmegma. He runs OS/2 to develop on at
Microcrap, and OS/2 at home, and absolutely refuses to touch Wishdoze 96.
(unstable, slow, eats hardware resources).

ThinkTank wrote:
[...]

+----------------------------------------- jpa...@epix.net +--+\
| | |
| | |
+--------------------------------------------------------------+ |
\______________________________________________________________\|

Edmond Underwood

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
Think Tank wrote:
>Most people out there still think Micro$oft is the most innovative,
>highest quality software company in the whole computing industry.
>They love Bill Gates. Worst of all, they think that everyone agrees
>on this. Those people don't normally read any computer related
>newsgroups.
>We need to heighten their awareness. This is a two-step procedure.
>First, put a subliminal message in your .sig.. Some witty
>Anti-Micro$oft quote or better yet a reference to the Micro$oft hate
>page at http://www.oeh.uni-linz.ac.at:8001/~chris/HATE/hate.html
>Blatant advocacy like "Linux forever" or "OS/2 rulez" won't do,
>sorry. This will just make you look like an idiot.
>Then post to groups where these people hang out, like rec.pets.cats
>or rec.gardens.roses.
>Be on-topic. Agree with what people say. This will make them curious
>about your .sig.
>They might start to investigate, and sooner or later they'll stumble
>across the truth: that everyone hates Micro$oft. Voila, one less for
>Billyboy.
>The point is, as long as this anti Micro$oft sentiment is confined
>to the nerdy world of computer scientists, Bill Gates couldn't care
>less. It will take some =05uhh=05.. propaganda to get the word out.
>Any other ideas?

You are dillusional like those folks who bombed the Oklahoma trade tower.
Try to round yourself out some. Smearing the word and putting out hate
messages isn't going to end Micro$oft's dominance. I have a better idea.
Why don't you and your fellow programmers make a better product. That
way I'll buy it. Support up and coming technologies to force MS to
change their ways like OpenDoc. Write an OS/2 app once in a while.
Do anything but this craziness. You will end up in a mad house before
MS falls. Good luck, you need it.

Edmond Underwood
Systems Management Group
Computing & Network Services (University of Colorado)
E-mail: unde...@Colorado.Edu

Ken

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
ich...@star89.galstar.com (Igor Chudov @ home) wrote:

>Hm, are you assuming that people with a job and a girlfriend cannot hate
>microsoft? I run no Windoze or any other M$ sleazeware and am pretty
>happy with my linux system. At least, it is secure and runs without
>crashes for weeks.

>Have phun,
^^^
Oh yea. This is a trained professional with a mature, well considered
opinion :)

Xanadu Enterprises Inc./Data Alchemists

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

.signature virus 4.119 REV A
Copy me to YOUR .signature please!

William Near

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
On Thu, 15 Jun 1995 17:51:44 -0700, Xavier Messersmith articulated:
[...]

<> @ @
<> *------------oOO-(_)-OOo-------------*------------------------------*

<> | __ ____ | A2000 7 MEGS RAM, 40 MEGS HD |
<> | ////\ /\/\ /\/ __ \/\ | The Amiga Community Lives! |
<> | __ //// /\ / / /\ / / / \/ /\ | \ / *-----------*
<> | \\\//// __ \/ _ _ \/ / (_/\/ __ \ | X |Idle/\/\/\/|
<> | \XX/ \/ \/\/ \/ \/\/\____/\/ \/ | / Caliber |Brains\/\/\|
<> | | \ @wco.com|Malfunction|
<> *------------------------------------*------------------*-----------*
<> Tomorrow's technology ten years ago!

Bill ////\ wn...@epix.net
Near ////\\\ A2000/030@50/Picasso II/Supra V.34
//// \\\\ Workbench 3.1_____ __ _
\\\\ ////___\\\\ //// |\ /| | / \ / \
\\\\///-----\\\\/// | \/ | | | __ /---\
\\\\/ \\\\/ | | __|__ \__/ / \
Contributing Editor @ Amiga Report Magazine

William Near

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
On Thu, 15 Jun 1995 18:19:46 -0700, Xavier Messersmith articulated:

<> | \\\//// __ \/ _ _ \/ / (_/\/ __ \ | X |Idle/\/\/\/|
<> | \XX/ \/ \/\/ \/ \/\/\____/\/ \/ | / Caliber |Brains\/\/\|
<> | | \ @wco.com|Malfunction|
<> *------------------------------------*------------------*-----------*
<> Tomorrow's technology ten years ago!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You really did steal this! :-)

Joe Ragosta

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
In article <A0085.95J...@rs1.rrz.uni-koeln.de>,
a0...@rrz.uni-koeln.de (Rainald Menge) wrote:

> Well, I agree with you that M$ sucks. But I don't think there is a
> way of telling all those lamers about it. I even tried convincing
> my friends - but they believe in M$.

The only realistic strategy for non-computer literates is to get them to
try MacOS. They're not going to go for anything more complicated.
Certainly Linux (which someone suggested) will never be a useful OS for
the average person who hasn't got a clue.

--
Regards, Joe Ragosta -- 100% Chemical and proud of it.

Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form,
in whole or in part. Copyright, Joseph Ragosta, 1995. License to distribute
this post is available to Microsoft for $1000. Posting without permission
constitutes an agreement to these terms. Please send notices of violation
to doc...@interramp.com and Postm...@microsoft.com

Joe Ragosta

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95

> <> \|/ ImrcOsfo tUskc s ! (Subliminal enuff? :-)
> <> @ @
> <> *------------oOO-(_)-OOo-------------*------------------------------*
> <> | __ ____ | A2000 7 MEGS RAM, 40 MEGS HD |
> <> | ////\ /\/\ /\/ __ \/\ | The Amiga Community Lives! |
> <> | __ //// /\ / / /\ / / / \/ /\ | \ / *-----------*
> <> | \\\//// __ \/ _ _ \/ / (_/\/ __ \ | X |Idle/\/\/\/|
> <> | \XX/ \/ \/\/ \/ \/\/\____/\/ \/ | / Caliber |Brains\/\/\|
> <> | | \ @wco.com|Malfunction|
> <> *------------------------------------*------------------*-----------*
> <> Tomorrow's technology ten years ago!
>
> --

Or in the case of Microsoft,

"Ten year old technology, Tomorrow."

Ravi Krishna Swamy

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
In article <3rqk65$i...@news3.digex.net> pro...@cnj.digex.net (Paul Probus) writes:
>In article <3rps76$e...@osiris.wu-wien.ac.at>, ThinkTank says...
[stuff cut]

>You seem to think that only MS is greedy and monopolistic, and yes they are,
>however, let's take a look at Apple. Apple is the only company that was
>allowed to make Mac's for 11(?) years, just now they're starting to allow Mac
>clones. Don't forget that Apple is the only company allowed to make an OS for
>the Mac, aside from the freeware Linux for Mac. So who's more greedy? MS or

I don't think Linux for the Mac is getting anywhere. Linux and X have
already been ported to the M68k but it runs on Amigas and Atari Falcons.
the Mac port is supposedly not going anywhere because of lack of
hardware documentation from Apple. The PowerPC port is starting back
up again but it'll probably be for CHRP or is that CRHP machines
and not the current PowerMacs.

>Apple? I'd say it was Apple, and Apple's gamble, thankfully, backfired,
>that's not to say that I don't like Mac's, I just don't like the idea that one
>computer company has the total monopoly on it. Just look to the competition
>in the IBM compatible computer industry. No we don't have much competition in
>the OS area, but I think that's good, in a way. We need a standard OS so that
>we can easily share files and programs and, with the exception of IBM Unix

We need a standard OS that is based on *open technology* not an inferior
standard that is shoved down our throats by Bill G.

>OS's, all the popular IBM OS's are MS compatible and because there is some
>competition IBM's OS/2 and PC-DOS and Novell's DOS add functions that MS's
>DOS and Windows don't have.

When you say IBM OS's do you mean OS's from IBM or OS's for IBM compatible
PC's? It got a little confusing. I know Linux isn't as popular as
some of the other commercial OS's, but it is definitely gaining in
popularity among college students.

>If this was 12 years ago, you'd be crying that you can't trade your Apple 2
>programs with your friends because they use Atari's or Commodores. At least
>no there's a standard for the majority of PC's and that's MS DOS/Windows.

Yeah, but it's a closed standard and it's pretty pitiful too. ;)

Ravi
--
"Linux is stable, Windoze is the stuff you find on the floor of a stable."

Ravi K. Swamy http://www4.ncsu.edu/eos/users/r/rkswamy/www/
rks...@eos.ncsu.edu ro...@sdf2.nowhere.to.be.seen.in.the.footage

walt...@maroon.tc.umn.edu

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
>Heres another idea, makes a bit more of an impact. Get a truck full of
>jet fuel, park it under the MicroSloth headquarters, and push a red
>button that convieniently ignites the fuel and levels a few blocks.

Reminds me of that story about the guy who bought a new Ford and
had all sorts of problems just as when he was driving it home. He didn't
drive it home. In fact, he parked it in front of his local FOrd Plant
yard, doused it with gasoline, and set it ablaze.
The guy made it on the news and was suddenly flooded with letters
of people agreeing and standing up for him.

It's too bad we can't do that with Microsoft apps on Internet. :)

Ravi Krishna Swamy

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
In article <3rqq76$a...@grape.epix.net> jpa...@news.epix.net (jpa...@epix.net) writes:
>If you want to do something about Microsloth, get them to start using
>Windoze as the main OS for their programming group instead of OS/2.
>They'll never get any applications out the door!
>
>They won't use Winjunk because it's so unstable. They've been using OS/2
>for years but neglect to admit it to people. Have a friend who's brother
>does Wintrash programming at Microsmegma. He runs OS/2 to develop on at
>Microcrap, and OS/2 at home, and absolutely refuses to touch Wishdoze 96.
>(unstable, slow, eats hardware resources).

I heard a similar story about M$ programmers and Linux. I heard a speech
from a guy at the ACC Bookstore. They sell a lot of Linux CD's and other
stuff like that. He said that they have sold Linux CD's to virtually
every research institute, university, software co., and hardware co.
Every software place except Microsoft. He found that odd so he
checked through the records to see all the places they've shipped too.
He found out that they had shipped for CD's to Redmond Washington than
to all of New York City. None of them went to M$ though...
The next time someone called up, ordered a Linux CD, and asked for it
to be shipped to an address in Redmond, WA he asked the guy what
company he worked for. The guy mumbled "Microsoft." This had the
entire audience laughing especially since the speech was given at
the NC State Linux Expo.

Igor Chudov @ home

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
Ken (x...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
* ich...@star89.galstar.com (Igor Chudov @ home) wrote:

* >Hm, are you assuming that people with a job and a girlfriend cannot hate
* >microsoft? I run no Windoze or any other M$ sleazeware and am pretty
* >happy with my linux system. At least, it is secure and runs without
* >crashes for weeks.

* >Have phun,
* ^^^
* Oh yea. This is a trained professional with a mature, well considered
* opinion :)

Have something to say about the matter?

Chris Rom

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
I really don't care who writes an application as long as it is good and
fast. In the case of M$ it is really frustrating to work on Office for
PowerMac and to see your colleagues with their much faster Windows
versions.
Gates want to get people to change from Mac to PC buy releasing
ridiculously slow Mac software.
Everyone thinks he/she has to buy M$ Office. The alternative to
Word/Excel/Powerpoint is
Nisus&WordPerfect/KaleidaGraph&DeltaGraph/Astound

I just wish somebody would come up with a set of conversion filters for
the latest MS apps.

+++++ close the windows - shut the gates +++++

Christian H. Rom
Dept. of Petroleum Engineering
Texas A&M University
r...@spindletop.tamu.edu

Thane Hathaway

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
In article <3rr4in$8...@maroon.tc.umn.edu>, walt...@maroon.tc.umn.edu
says...

You can! UUencode your copies of MS Word, Excel, etc and email it back
to Microsoft. Bill himself if you want.

Thane Hathaway
Design Engineer
Rosemount Aerospace Inc
tha...@rmtaero.com

Mike Cohen

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
rks...@eos.ncsu.edu (Ravi Krishna Swamy) writes:

>I don't think Linux for the Mac is getting anywhere. Linux and X have
>already been ported to the M68k but it runs on Amigas and Atari Falcons.
>the Mac port is supposedly not going anywhere because of lack of
>hardware documentation from Apple. The PowerPC port is starting back
>up again but it'll probably be for CHRP or is that CRHP machines
>and not the current PowerMacs.

That is absolute SHIT. Just go into any bookstore and buy a copy of Inside
Mac and you'll have all of the information you need.
--
Mike Cohen - is...@netcom.com
Home Page: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/is/isis/home.html

Jeremy Bee

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
In article <3rs0sc$q...@taco.cc.ncsu.edu>, rks...@eos.ncsu.edu (Ravi
Krishna Swamy) wrote:

> In article <3rqq76$a...@grape.epix.net> jpa...@news.epix.net
(jpa...@epix.net) writes:
> >If you want to do something about Microsloth, get them to start using
> >Windoze as the main OS for their programming group instead of OS/2.
> >They'll never get any applications out the door!
> >
> >They won't use Winjunk because it's so unstable. They've been using OS/2
> >for years but neglect to admit it to people. Have a friend who's brother
> >does Wintrash programming at Microsmegma. He runs OS/2 to develop on at
> >Microcrap, and OS/2 at home, and absolutely refuses to touch Wishdoze 96.
> >(unstable, slow, eats hardware resources).
>
> I heard a similar story about M$ programmers and Linux. I heard a speech
> from a guy at the ACC Bookstore. They sell a lot of Linux CD's and other
> stuff like that. He said that they have sold Linux CD's to virtually
> every research institute, university, software co., and hardware co.
> Every software place except Microsoft. He found that odd so he
> checked through the records to see all the places they've shipped too.
> He found out that they had shipped for CD's to Redmond Washington than
> to all of New York City. None of them went to M$ though...
> The next time someone called up, ordered a Linux CD, and asked for it
> to be shipped to an address in Redmond, WA he asked the guy what
> company he worked for. The guy mumbled "Microsoft." This had the
> entire audience laughing especially since the speech was given at
> the NC State Linux Expo.

You can find stories like this in alt.popular.myth all the time, but it
does'nt mean that they are true. The idea that MS programmers, working at
MS would be using OS/2 to develop on is pure fantasy. Note the story
begins in exactly the same way as all stories of this type, ie "...a
friend, who has a brother..." (who knows someone, etc. etc....) Just like
everyone knows someone who knows someone who found a rat in a coke
bottle. Yeah, Right!

The MS programmers all develop on NT, BTW. (Or most anyway) (But I could
see why they might want a copy of Linux just to goof around on.)

Jeremy

Martina Umlauft

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
Michael P. Gohlke (mgo...@lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu) wrote:
: On Thu, 15 Jun 1995, Xavier Messersmith wrote:

: > On Thu, 15 Jun 1995, Xavier Messersmith wrote:
: > > Heres another idea, makes a bit more of an impact. Get a truck full of

: > > jet fuel, park it under the MicroSloth headquarters, and push a red
: > > button that convieniently ignites the fuel and levels a few blocks.

: >

: > DON'T! This is a joke and is not a serious threat to either the makers of
: > really dull software or the people who live around their headquarters. I
: > don't know how to get jet fuel, nor do I even know where their
: > headquarters are.

: Redmond, Washington. If you would like I can find out exactly where! :)

Wasn't it 1, Microsoft Way?

Anyway, I assume it must be easy t find - just follow the green Porsche
that speeds like crazy... :-)

Bye,
/|/|artina :)

Student of Computer Science, Technical University Vienna
EMail: e902...@stud1.tuwien.ac.at
Fido: 2:310/81.81

Joseph Coughlan

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
In article <bee-160695...@lb2101.lib.sfu.ca> b...@sfu.ca (Jeremy Bee) writes:
>In article <3rs0sc$q...@taco.cc.ncsu.edu>, rks...@eos.ncsu.edu (Ravi
>Krishna Swamy) wrote:

>You can find stories like this in alt.popular.myth all the time, but it
>does'nt mean that they are true. The idea that MS programmers, working at
>MS would be using OS/2 to develop on is pure fantasy.

It *was* true in the early 90's when MS was talking down OS/2 while
they used OS/2 1.x to compile and link MS windows apps. MS had no
windows based development system back then and may times the only way
to do Excel and Word development was to compile and link under OS/2
then boot back to DOS and load windows.

Most all of the windows 3.0 apps were developed under OS/2.

>Note the story
>begins in exactly the same way as all stories of this type, ie "...a
>friend, who has a brother..." (who knows someone, etc. etc....) Just like
>everyone knows someone who knows someone who found a rat in a coke
>bottle. Yeah, Right!

It's common knowledge among anyone who used MS C 5.1 and C6.0 or
who worked for a ISV way back in the early 90's.

>The MS programmers all develop on NT, BTW. (Or most anyway) (But I could
>see why they might want a copy of Linux just to goof around on.)

Today they do.
When did VC++ for NT arrive and when did Excel 1st ship?
--
Above
Left Right

Atarax

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
a0...@rrz.uni-koeln.de (Rainald Menge) wrote:
[etc]

>So you see - Bill Gates will earn more money - there is no way
>to stop those lamers - but as long as users will continue using
>Linux and OS/2 those reals OSs will be supported and we will
>have nice products. Who needs all those win-trash software
>anyway???

[sig]

But they're not supported! For example- If you go buy a Soundblaster AWE32, you
don't find any drivers. All they would have to do is maybe put a few .o files
in, which wouldn't give away their top secret technology... But they don't do
it, because all the whiz-bang programs are for Windows, because all the drivers
are for Windows, because all the whiz-bang programs are for Windows, because
all the drivers are for windows... argh...

It's a fact - "GW-BASIC" stands for Gee-Whiz BASIC...

--
ata...@eznet.net ----/\/\/---- Resist,
-----|(------ Don't Capacitate!

Finger ata...@eznet.net for instructions on how to log on to Hydroxyzine, my
PGP key, and my disclaimer for this message.

Ravi Krishna Swamy

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
In article <isisDAA...@netcom.com> is...@netcom.com (Mike Cohen) writes:
>rks...@eos.ncsu.edu (Ravi Krishna Swamy) writes:
>
>>I don't think Linux for the Mac is getting anywhere. Linux and X have
>>already been ported to the M68k but it runs on Amigas and Atari Falcons.
>>the Mac port is supposedly not going anywhere because of lack of
>>hardware documentation from Apple. The PowerPC port is starting back
>>up again but it'll probably be for CHRP or is that CRHP machines
>>and not the current PowerMacs.
>
>That is absolute SHIT. Just go into any bookstore and buy a copy of Inside
>Mac and you'll have all of the information you need.

Okay, why don't you tell that to the developers. Here's a page on it

http://www-users.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~hn/linux68k.html

Ravi

Paul Probus

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95

>>OS's, all the popular IBM OS's are MS compatible and because there is some
>>competition IBM's OS/2 and PC-DOS and Novell's DOS add functions that MS's
>>DOS and Windows don't have.
>
>When you say IBM OS's do you mean OS's from IBM or OS's for IBM compatible
>PC's? It got a little confusing. I know Linux isn't as popular as
>some of the other commercial OS's, but it is definitely gaining in
>popularity among college students.

In this respect I referring to the OS's _from_ IBM. Sorry about the confusion

>>If this was 12 years ago, you'd be crying that you can't trade your Apple 2
>>programs with your friends because they use Atari's or Commodores. At least
>>no there's a standard for the majority of PC's and that's MS DOS/Windows.
>
>Yeah, but it's a closed standard and it's pretty pitiful too. ;)

It's gotten much better, however. Win 95 is quite a bit better than Windows
3.x and Win 3.x was better than plain DOS (IMHO). I've never used OS/2, so I
can't make any judgements about it at all.

Paul Probus
pro...@cnj.digex.net

Anthony D. Tribelli

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
ThinkTank wrote:
: Most people out there still think Micro$oft is the most innovative,
: highest quality software company in the whole computing industry.
: They love Bill Gates...

Actually they find Bill's software useful and inexpensive, and they find
his personal history interesting.

The failure of linux and OS/2 is that ordinary users do not see the
software they want on these platforms at a low cost. If you want to end
"Bill's World Domination" work to end this difficiency of linux or OS/2.
By the way, I love linux but I am a programmer and only need an editor
and a compiler. I also personally think OS/2 is better than Windows 3.1.

Tony

--
------------------
Tony Tribelli

Software Developers

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
Nachtigall <jnac...@slate.Mines.Colorado.EDU> wrote:
>ThinkTank wrote:
>: Most people out there still think Micro$oft is the most innovative,
>: highest quality software company in the whole computing industry.
>: They love Bill Gates. Worst of all, they think that everyone agrees
>
>[SNIP]
>
>This is without a doubt the most pathetic thread that this group has
>started since I started reading this group a year ago.
>
>I don't know whether to laugh or cry. But I must respond.

Oh, you _must_. :-)

>1. It is MICROSOFT....not Micro$oft or Microsloth or Micromonopoly.

I prefer Microslop. :-)

>2. Windows 3.1 is currently installed on over 50 million computers
> nationwide.

Numbers don't necessarily provide the best measurements of quality.

>It is used everyday by buisnesses, home users, kids
> elderly, middleaged, government, and any other group you can name.
>
> It is without a doubt the most successful OS in the history of
> computing.

That depends on how you define successful. It certainly has sold a lot
of copies, but most of those were sold bundled with hardware. It would be
interesting to know how many fewer copies would have sold had people been
given a several choices of what came preloaded on their PC's.

>In a market economy, this kind of success for such an
> extended period of time means that Windows must offer something to
> Users.

One thing that it typically _hasn't_ offered people is that choice. Most
people aren't given a choice whether to buy MS-DOS and MS-Windoze.

> So my question is...Do you think that the 50 million who use windows
> are stupid?

Maybe not really stupid, but a lot of them are pretty much ignorant
when it comes to computers. A lot of them just plain have no choice
because it is forced on them by the circumstances.

>or Do you think that they are forced to use windows
> by some mind control device in Redmond.

Many are forced to use Windoze, but that isn't the method that the enforcement
is done by...

>3. Bill Gates is not the Anti-Christ. He is not even a lower ranking
> lackey of the Devil.

Even if you don't buy into the religious stuff, I think that Bill Gates is
an evil, greedy megalomaniac.

>He is a succesful buisnessman. If Bill Gates
> ran Commedore instead of Ali, Amiga would be the industry standard.

If Bill Gates ran Commodore, they never would have been interested in
something like the Amiga...

>4. Nobody forces people to run windows.

Hah. That's simply not true in many cases.

>They use windows and Dos because
> it is useful.

They use it because they are stuck with it or too ignorant to know they
have a choice in many cases.

>5. Microsoft and Bill Gates have no impact on the Amiga.

Not true either. Microslop (and thus Bill Gates, since he largely
controls the direction of Microslop) has a great deal of impact on all
other platforms. In the case of the Amiga, it is just more indirect
than on other platforms.

>6. When Windows 95 ships in August, it will imediatly be packed onto
> 14 million computer (according to US News and World Report).

All hell is going to break loose this fall... I am expecting a lot of
problems...

> The reason is not because Bill Gates is blackmailing the computer makers.

Actually "blackmail" is probably a bit to strong... but Microslop's
history of using business practices of questionable ethical standards
certainly has something to do with it...

> The reason is beacuse users want Win95. It will be a significant
> advance of windows 3.1.

It doesn't take much to be a significant improvement on Windoze 3.1. It
also doesn't mean that Win95 is going to be better than a lot of other
things that are already out there. Even Microsoft's own Windoze NT is
still going to be considerably superior to Win95 in most ways.

>7. The truth is that Bill Gates has done more to champion the cause of
> all personal computers, than even Steve Jobs.

Hardly. I think Bill Gates has done more to hold back the advancement of
personal computers than just about anyone outside of IBM.

>Gates provided a
> way for an extreamly popular hardware (x86) to be used by anybody.

He did nothing that numerous other companies couldn't have done, and
couldn't have done better. He was simply at the right place at the
right time, and stabbed the right backs...

>8. All the complaining about Micosoft and Gates in this group just makes
> the posters sound jealous. They can't believe that an "inferior"
> product is more successful than their precious Amiga.
>
> Well wake up and smell the coffee. Windows in not an "inferior"
> product.

But it _is_ an inferior product... at least it is inferior to numerous
other alternatives.

>Windows users are not pathetic sheep following Bill Gates.
> Windows is a useful program that sets an industry standard.

A closed, proprietary standard. That is a step back to the 60's and 70's
when the OS market was closed and proprietary and controlled by IBM and
a few other smaller vendors.

> If you think about it, Which is more likely...That 50 Mil windows
> users are wrong or that 1 Mil Amiga users are wrong.

Amiga users aren't the only ones that think Windoze stinks. A lot of
Windoze users think so... Mac users think so... OS/2 users think so...
UNIX users think so... etc.

>9. Microsoft and Intel are two different comopanies. Intel makes
> hardware and nothing else. Microsoft makes software and a couple of
> periferals. There is no more collution between the two than between
> the makers of staples and paper.

How do you know there is no more collusion than that? It certainly
appears otherwise...

>10. And finally..To all those who suggest other OS's as the solution.
> Your suggestion of OS2 and Liunix prove that other choices exist.

Sure, other choices exist...

> I could use Liunix ( I am using AIX to post this) and I could use
> OS2 but I choose to use Windows. Not because I am stupid or
> Ignorant, but because I actually find it the most usefull, especially
> in terms of compatibility.
>
>Flames are welcome, but please respond to the e-mail address below. I
>hate the unix mail program.

Which shows a little ignorance... _Which_ UNIX mail program? There are
quite a few choices...

>or better yet post a follow up to this
>article.

"I speak only for myself, Lee Heins
not for my employers." sw...@worf.netins.net or le...@cadalyst.com

My Linux box is: Microsoft Free, Intel Free & IBM Free...

Chris Rom

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
>That is absolute SHIT. Just go into any bookstore and buy a copy of >Inside Mac and you'll have all of the information you need.
>--
>Mike Cohen - is...@netcom.com

better yet, get on the Apple Web Server and download the whole stuff for free (http://www.info.apple.com/)
A friend of mine found out too late and wasted almost 200 bucks.

Chris Rom

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95

Aaron Sommer

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95

> Yes. Get a job that You enjoy instead! Or go out enjoy the compamy
> of some friends and have fun! Maybe You would feel better if You
> find some meaningful hobby to fill out your time with! Go out and
> date some pretty girls!
>
> This would maybe enhance your life more instead of 'hateing' things.
>
> Take care,
>
> m a r t i n n
>
> --
> m...@cd.chalmers.se
> http://www.cd.chalmers.se/~mts
> mts @ IRC (on #MTS)

Er? Sorry, but Microsoft is lazy and getting lazier. It's what comes of
being the biggest one on the block...

Case in point- Word 6 for the Mac. Instead of writing a program and
compiling it for the mac processor, they wrote a windows emulator that
would allow a slightly-modified Word 6 for Windows to run. The result? A
slug-shit-slow program, reminiscent of Windows, intended for use by people
who (in general) have had a pronounced dislike of Windows since it came
out.

This decision was made under a "Common Code" policy... a policy meant to
enhance Microsoft's profits, _not_ a policy designed to provide quality
software to customers.

If they keep this shit up, they're going to go down, and we won't have to
do anything to help.

Aaron Sommer

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95

> You seem to think that only MS is greedy and monopolistic, and yes they are,
> however, let's take a look at Apple. Apple is the only company that was
> allowed to make Mac's for 11(?) years, just now they're starting to allow Mac
> clones. Don't forget that Apple is the only company allowed to make an
OS for
> the Mac, aside from the freeware Linux for Mac. So who's more greedy? MS or
> Apple? I'd say it was Apple, and Apple's gamble, thankfully, backfired,
> that's not to say that I don't like Mac's, I just don't like the idea
that one
> computer company has the total monopoly on it. Just look to the competition
> in the IBM compatible computer industry. No we don't have much
competition in
> the OS area, but I think that's good, in a way. We need a standard OS
so that
> we can easily share files and programs and, with the exception of IBM Unix
> OS's, all the popular IBM OS's are MS compatible and because there is some
> competition IBM's OS/2 and PC-DOS and Novell's DOS add functions that MS's
> DOS and Windows don't have.
>
> If this was 12 years ago, you'd be crying that you can't trade your Apple 2
> programs with your friends because they use Atari's or Commodores. At least
> no there's a standard for the majority of PC's and that's MS DOS/Windows.
>
> Paul Probus
> pro...@cnj.digex.net

Gee, you make it sound like everyone's been fighting to write a Mac OS for
the last decade. Not so... I've been using them for the last decade, and
I've been hearing "Apple's going out of business...", "They'll never
last...", "Mac? you use a toy?...", "Why not get a _REAL_ computer?",
"Macs are for morons", and "gee, isn't windows great?" for almost as long.

Apple's been restricting who made Mac hardware, not who wrote software.

John Coggi

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
I would never say anything bad about Microsoft in my .sig.

John

--
John M. Coggi | CorrectSpeak for Mac - v1.0 (unregistered)
The Aerospace Corporation | Offensive remarks found : 0

Evan Berry

Jun 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/17/95
:>You can find stories like this in alt.popular.myth all the time, but it

:>does'nt mean that they are true. The idea that MS programmers, working at
:>MS would be using OS/2 to develop on is pure fantasy. Note the story

:>begins in exactly the same way as all stories of this type, ie "...a
:>friend, who has a brother..." (who knows someone, etc. etc....) Just like
:>everyone knows someone who knows someone who found a rat in a coke
:>bottle. Yeah, Right!
:>
:>The MS programmers all develop on NT, BTW. (Or most anyway) (But I could

:>see why they might want a copy of Linux just to goof around on.)
:>
By the same token I guess you heard that from a friend of a friend who found
a rat(Bill) in a coke can.

JESSE MICHAEL FALK

Jun 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/17/95
17 Jun 1995 05:10:39 GMT electrocuted his scrotum, then typed:
:?On 16 Jun 1995 15:39:13 GMT, Nachtigall articulated:
:?<> ThinkTank wrote:
:?<> : Most people out there still think Micro$oft is the most innovative,
:?<> : highest quality software company in the whole computing industry.
:?<> : They love Bill Gates. Worst of all, they think that everyone agrees

:?<> [SNIP]

:?<> This is without a doubt the most pathetic thread that this group has
:?<> started since I started reading this group a year ago.

:?<> I don't know whether to laugh or cry. But I must respond.
Just laugh. Shitboy will die slowly -- but soon!

:?<> 1. It is MICROSOFT....not Micro$oft or Microsloth or Micromonopoly.

:?Wrong, it's whatever derogatory term we choose to use at the
:?moment! :-)
Like Fuckosoft or FuckUsoft or This Fuckin' Sucks

:?<> 2. Windows 3.1 is currently installed on over 50 million computers
:?<> nationwide. It is used everyday by buisnesses, home users, kids
:?<> elderly, middleaged, government, and any other group you can name.

:?True, but most of the home computers have Windows because
:?they either came with it preinstalled or because the buyer
:?listened to all the hype and thought that it must be a good
:?product. In short, they wer duped.
I suppose guided missile systems and F-16's run windows, eh? I can see it
now.. "See ya later Charlie, time for some SOLITAIRE!!" heheheheh

:?<> It is without a doubt the most successful OS in the history of
:?<> computing. In a market economy, this kind of success for such an
:?<> extended period of time means that Windows must offer something to
:?<> Users.

:?Yes, endless upgrades and bug fixes. Hype, hype, and hype
:?were the key players here.
Ah yes, another shithead who believes tyranny is a suitable long-term form
of government. Bonus question: Did FuckShitSoft engage in any acts of
unfair competition to get where it's at? Win at all costs, eh? Well what
about the cost in human evolution and SANITY that windoze exacts?

:?<> So my question is...Do you think that the 50 million who use windows
:?<> are stupid? or Do you think that they are forced to use windows
:?<> by some mind control device in Redmond.

:?Stupid, for the most part. Well, stupid is kinda strong --
:?let's say uninformed and naive.
Let's say they don't have much of a choice. Over the age of 35, where
time is of the essence, not many potential users can afford a) to learn a
non-GUI system <sad to say> and b) the price of a mac and it's software
<copies of DOS stuff are EASY to come by... SO easy, in fact...>

:?<> 3. Bill Gates is not the Anti-Christ. He is not even a lower ranking

:?Yes he is! Have you seen where they converted the product
:?names and such to binary and it came out 666? :-)
He isn't smart enough to be the Anti-Christ. If he were, he'd give us all
something we REALLY liked... for a while.

:?<> lackey of the Devil. He is a succesful buisnessman. If Bill Gates
:?<> ran Commedore instead of Ali, Amiga would be the industry standard.

:?Very, very true. He knoes how to market things, this is
:?quite different than saying he knows how to make great
:?software. Yes, MS does have some very good products, but
:?Windblows sucks, plain and simple.
Very false. Billy wouldn't know what to do with the potential of Amiga
any more than IBM. Big blue wouldv'e crushed him like they crushed Apple.
Not completely, thankfully. By the way, I apologize to Amiga users for
even considering a possibility of Gates owning them. I erase the words.

:?<> 4. Nobody forces people to run windows. They use windows and Dos because
:?<> it is useful.

:?Hmmm...
I believe you mean, ummm Microsoft forces people to use Billblows.

:?<> 5. Microsoft and Bill Gates have no impact on the Amiga.

:?Well, if they weren't so damned powerful then the Amiga and
:?Macs would have a better foothold in the computer market.
:?So, you could say that they have an indirect impact.
Seems rather to the point to me.. What's with all this indirect stuff?

:?<> 6. When Windows 95 ships in August, it will imediatly be packed onto
:?<> 14 million computer (according to US News and World Report).

:?So, does this make it wonderful? Look at Windslows 3.x??

:?<> The reason is not because Bill Gates is blackmailing the computer
:?<> makers.

:?No, he just wants to run the whole world! Shades of someone
:?we all know and love from a bygone era (circa 193x)
Through illegal software licensing fees (charging for total number of
machines sold vs number of Microsoft installs [so preloading anything
else would cost twice as much]) Microsoft's operating system and GUI
interface have been installed on the majority of 80x86 systems. <M. Bell>

:?<> The reason is beacuse users want Win95. It will be a significant
:?<> advance of windows 3.1.

:?They want it, for the most part, because they're told that
:?they want it.
Hear hear / monkey see monkey do

:?<> 7. The truth is that Bill Gates has done more to champion the cause of
:?<> all personal computers, than even Steve Jobs. Gates provided a
:?<> way for an extreamly popular hardware (x86) to be used by anybody.

:?<> 8. All the complaining about Micosoft and Gates in this group just makes
:?<> the posters sound jealous. They can't believe that an "inferior"
:?<> product is more successful than their precious Amiga.

:?You're right! It makes me sick to think of what the
:?computing industry could be today if the Amiga had had the
:?influx of such huge amounts of cash, R&D, and advertising
:?like the clones have had over the years. Perfectly stated,
:?the clones are inferior when compared to the basic design
:?philosophy of the Amiga and its OS.
Non-Amiga users happen to post here as well, case in point. Jealousy has
nothing to do with it. I do not want to be Bill Gates at all. I'd rather
be Jesse Helms than Fuckface. It's about tring to destroy something that
sucks -- that's the whole point. Getting the huge software demon Scumsoft
off our backs so we can have something better OR AT LEAAAAAST different.

:?<> Well wake up and smell the coffee. Windows in not an "inferior"
:?<> product. Windows users are not pathetic sheep following Bill Gates.

:?This is your opinion -- sounds like you may be one of the
:?"sheep" and just don't realize it.
Canna get an amen, brothers? baaa baaa baa

:?<> Windows is a useful program that sets an industry standard.

:?A standard of what? Crashing? If this is the end-all, be-all
:?standard, then you should be afraid -- very afraid!
No I think that's^^^ WE. But don't be afraid. A mindless Microzombie like
this will be easy to dispatch. Hope he's typical.

:?<> If you think about it, Which is more likely...That 50 Mil windows
:?<> users are wrong or that 1 Mil Amiga users are wrong.

:?50 million Windows users. I'm sure many parallels could be
:?drawn to show where the minority was right and the majority
:?was wrong in other areas. Anyone?
Oooh, big one. let's see.. Jews vs. Romans, Jews vs. Hitler, Einstein vs.
A-bomb, Indians vs. colonists, blacks vs. plantation-owners, Brown v. board,
little kid vs. naked emperor, opponents of prop. 187 vs. assholes for it,
umm.. damn, I'm not enough of a historian <or caring individual> to go
on. If I think about it I call you a fucking idiot. Do you always adopt
that stupidass attitude? Maybe when 49 accusing fingers are pointed at
you <ever hear of mob mentality, dipshit?> you'll understand.

:?<> 9. Microsoft and Intel are two different comopanies. Intel makes
:?<> hardware and nothing else. Microsoft makes software and a couple of
:?<> periferals. There is no more collution between the two than between
:?<> the makers of staples and paper.

:?Questionable.
Are you fucking stupid? Have you studied basic economics or what?
I believe you call that "COMPLEMENTARY GOODS" dumbass. Look it up, then
tell me they have no relationship with each other. Well, whatever they're
called, d'ya possibly think that if Intel <and AMD to be safe> went out
of business it would hurt or help Shittysoft? Well DUH!

:?<> 10. And finally..To all those who suggest other OS's as the solution.
:?<> Your suggestion of OS2 and Liunix prove that other choices exist.
:?<>
:?<> I could use Liunix ( I am using AIX to post this) and I could use
:?<> OS2 but I choose to use Windows. Not because I am stupid or
:?<> Ignorant, but because I actually find it the most usefull, especially
:?<> in terms of compatibility.

:?Have you seen an Amiga or are you just pretending that you
:?have?

:?<> Flames are welcome, but please respond to the e-mail address below. I
:?<> hate the unix mail program. or better yet post a follow up to this
:?<> article.

:?Here it is -- I wasn't about to let this one pass me by. :-)
BURN BITCH BURN.
:?--
:?---------------------------------------------------
:? Bill ////\ wn...@epix.net
:? Near ////\\\ A2000/030@50/Picasso II/Supra V.34
:? //// \\\\ Workbench 3.1_____ _ __ _____ ____
:? \\\\ ////___\\\\ //// |\ /| | / \ / \ | | |
:? \\\\///-----\\\\/// | \/ | |--- /---\ | __ |--- |---/
:? \\\\/ \\\\/ | | |____ / \ \__/ |____ | \ ...
:? excuse for a computer.. heheheheheh
:?---------------------------------------------------

JESSE MICHAEL FALK

Jun 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/17/95
Fri, 16 Jun 1995 07:46:45 GMT electrocuted his scrotum, then typed:
:?ich...@star89.galstar.com (Igor Chudov @ home) wrote:

:?>Hm, are you assuming that people with a job and a girlfriend cannot hate
:?>microsoft? I run no Windoze or any other M$ sleazeware and am pretty
:?>happy with my linux system. At least, it is secure and runs without
:?>crashes for weeks.

:?>Have phun,
:? ^^^

:?Xanadu Enterprises Inc./Data Alchemists

:?"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

that's tryING, bitch.

:?.signature virus 4.119 REV A
:?Copy me to YOUR .signature please!

Michael Lewis