Otter Browser Aims To Bring Chromium To Decades-Old OS/2 Operating System

Louis Ohland

May 19, 2022, 10:01:29 AM5/19/22

Tomas Slavotinek

May 19, 2022, 11:10:58 AM5/19/22
On 19.05.2022 16:01, Louis Ohland wrote:
> https://tech.slashdot.org/story/22/02/16/2121220/otter-browser-aims-to-bring-chromium-to-decades-old-os2-operating-system

Interesting, but surely they targeting the latest ArcaOS and not the
"decades-old" OS/2 builds from IBM...

Louis Ohland

May 19, 2022, 11:25:42 AM5/19/22
Tom, you never cease to amaze me. You must be the life of the party...

Tomas Slavotinek

May 19, 2022, 11:41:18 AM5/19/22
Well, I just dislike this type of sensational headlines.

By that logic Windows 11 is also "decades-old" because it originates in
Windows NT 3.1, or heck, OS/2 3.0...

dens...@gmail.com

May 19, 2022, 6:20:09 PM5/19/22
That's an old article. Seems they are still working on porting Otter
to OS/2 but have also moved onto Dooble now. I've been watching
the development of a new modern web browser for about 5 years
and they are constantly changing the direction they're going.

Kevin Bowling

May 19, 2022, 10:57:54 PM5/19/22
Chrom{e,ieum} is an insane codebase. I run FreeBSD on many machines and
the patchset for a relatively common and modern OS that shares plenty of
details with Linux is large. Google wont even let the support live in
their repo, FreeBSD and OpenBSD have an external repo/patchset now to
collaborate on.

I would think Firefox would be a better target but Rust bringup would be
necessary.