Kensington Technology and Kingston Technology 8580 memory daughtercards

Louis Ohland

Feb 18, 2024, 10:04:38 PMFeb 18
Ever surfing the net, my electric eye detected a "Kensington Technology
KTM-2000/M80" 8580 memory daughtercard. This caught my attention, you
would expect "Kingston Technology"

The PCBs for the KTM-1000/M80 and the KTM2000/M80 share the same PCB.
Dave noted the KTM-1000 only populates half of the memory ICs.

But if you look at the spacing of the model's title on each card at the
top of the board, you will see:

Kensington Technology KTM-2000/M80
^

Kingston Technology KTM-2000/M80
^^^

The only image we have of the KTM-4000/M80 appears to be Kingston
Technology from the get-go.

Kingston <<< Big font size!
Technology Corporation <<< About 1/2 size, tucked in under Kingston

Maybe... Kensington sold the KTM line to Kingston?
Kensington fabbed the KTM line for Kingston?

Kensington is normularily associated with Apple stuff [ADB mice...] and
physical security devices [locks, cables...]. Perhaps Kensington
divested itself from the KTM stuff to focus on Apple? I have yet to find
any period articles explaining the name shift...

IBMMuseum

Feb 20, 2024, 10:39:37 AMFeb 20
I think it's a glitch of the Matrix - Free Your Mind (and the rest will follow).