Announcement Number 192-037 IBM 5494 REMOTE CONTROL UNIT

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 12:41:15 PM1/23/20

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 12:42:52 PM1/23/20
Each model of the 5494 can support several different
interfaces such as EIA 232D, CCITT V.24/V.28/V.35, and CCITT X.21,
depending upon the type of communication cable used. When migration
is desired from one interface type to another, only the communication
cable needs to be changed. These communication cables can be ordered
as accessories. The 5494 supports communication speeds up to 64
kilobits per second (kbps) when attached to a CCITT X.21 or V.35
interface, and up to 19.2 kbps when the attachment interface is
EIA-232D or CCITT V.24/V.28.

On 1/23/2020 11:40, Louis Ohland wrote:
> https://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/ShowDoc.wss?docURL=/common/ssi/rep_ca/7/897/ENUS192-037/index.html&request_locale=en

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 12:47:56 PM1/23/20
COMMUNICATION CABLES P/N
EIA 232D, V.24/V.28 02F9660
V.35 02F9676
X.21 02F9670

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 12:49:15 PM1/23/20
NOTE: The above feature codes are plant installable only.

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 12:58:53 PM1/23/20
Tim, I can't find an image, but -IF- the Communications Cables are plant
installable only, maybe the P1 port cover is removed and the cable
socket attached. Stefan, any back door shots? Also, one from the inside
looking for some kind of bracket or frame to support a cable plug?

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 1:08:44 PM1/23/20
The one picture on flea buy shows the ports bezel has no cutouts. Maybe
the plant had to install a special port bezel?

schimmi

Jan 23, 2020, 5:27:40 PM1/23/20
no, there is no seperate opening for a connector this size. on some drawings you might see one, but there isn't - at least in my case. on the back, you can only remove the black port filler cover. https://photos.app.goo.gl/9ENJxB5KimmXopvj6 - but maybe they built a filler plate with a p1 port opening?

guess the p1 port is there for debugging reasons, some traces go directly to the 27F4620, but finding a data sheet - ha-ha :) However, this chip is also used in other ps/2, so it might be possible that there is at least a serial port. would be the first that comes into my mind: serial console.

interesting side notes so far:
- the base + cover + front + HDD shield + rails + mca covers + speaker/led/switch assembly are 1:1 the same as the 8590
- led for a hdd is built in (the expenses!!!)
- putting in a XGA2 does absolutely nothing (yeah, had to do this, i was curious) - guess they took all unnecessary i/o out of the bios
- clock battery (yes, a dallas) is still intact
- the originally supplied networking card is 32bit, but the mca-slots are only 16bit (yep, 386sx...)
- the floppy drive appears to be in working condition. my first functional drive in a ps/2 so far :]
- machine is dated 1997 - guess that explains the 32bit card (but not that 386SX) :)

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 5:52:46 PM1/23/20
http://ohlandl.ipv7.net/8555/8555_Planar.html
ZM49 27F4620

On 1/23/2020 16:27, schimmi wrote:
>27F4620

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 5:55:41 PM1/23/20
Is that a star floppy? The manufacturer's sticker says MF356F-899MF

U79 Intel 71F7834 (resembles 82077)

schimmi

Jan 23, 2020, 5:58:17 PM1/23/20
yes, star, 2.88MB, but a MF356F-822MB

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 6:00:04 PM1/23/20
Bad images, is that an 82077?

On 1/23/2020 16:54, Louis Ohland wrote:
> Intel 71F7834

schimmi

Jan 23, 2020, 6:06:03 PM1/23/20
yes, the 82077SL variant.

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 6:11:03 PM1/23/20

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 6:12:34 PM1/23/20
Give us a shot of the PSU sticker on top.

schimmi

Jan 23, 2020, 6:32:39 PM1/23/20
on mine they are all just black and substanially thinner than the cables in my 8590. and guess what - the power supply is riveted together (yes, this time it's true ;) ) psu label: https://photos.app.goo.gl/SQ7Nw93yBPJfsBqD9

WBSTClarke

Jan 23, 2020, 6:44:44 PM1/23/20
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9ENJxB5KimmXopvj6
That's so reminiscent of the Model 50/55/70 planar's output ports slot it's untrue!!!

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 6:50:42 PM1/23/20
5494 PSU

PN 03F0420

+5v 10A
+12v 0.8A
-12v 0.35A

Max continuous output power 64W

Global Manufacturers' Services
Valencia, Spain

1997 28

schimmi

Jan 23, 2020, 6:59:40 PM1/23/20
even the damn label has a part number... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 7:14:53 PM1/23/20
Picture of leads?

schimmi

Jan 23, 2020, 7:22:39 PM1/23/20

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 7:32:12 PM1/23/20
Man, that really screws things up. Each half has one blue lead, yet the
PSU label shows +5, +12, and -12....

schimmi

Jan 23, 2020, 7:44:00 PM1/23/20
indeed. p16 blue is -12v, p17 blue is +5v.

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 8:16:59 PM1/23/20
It has got to have power good and the power switch as well...

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 8:26:06 PM1/23/20
Sumare Plant

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 8:44:09 PM1/23/20
https://www-05.ibm.com/e-business/linkweb/publications/servlet/pbi.wss?SSN=20AXB0011478412935&FNC=ONL&PBL=SY27-0327-05&TRL=TXTSRH#

|________________ _______________
_______________________________________________________|

|________________|_______________|_______________________________________________________|
| + 5 to | 3, 4, 5, 6, | + 5 (4.82 to 5.25) Vdc

| chassis ground | 7, 8 on P17 |

|________________|_______________|_______________________________________________________|
| + 12 to | 1, 2 on P17 | + 12 (11.52 to 12.60) Vdc

| chassis ground | |

|________________|_______________|_______________________________________________________|
| - 12 to | 9 on P16 | - 12 (-10.92 to -13.20) Vdc

| chassis ground | |

|________________|_______________|_______________________________________________________|

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 8:45:57 PM1/23/20
5.6 5494 Pin Assignments

schimmi

Jan 23, 2020, 8:49:38 PM1/23/20
now i know why i installed dos/win3.11 last night. i wanted to install this ibm book reader thingy :D do you know if there is also an os/2 version available?

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 8:54:52 PM1/23/20

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 8:58:56 PM1/23/20
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/RETAIN_PS2/PS2_RETAIN_Tips.html

Library Reader (w/ Fixes) From Bookmanager/Tools, contains non-English
versions
ilrjava.exe Windows V4.0 Win 7, Vista (SP2) or XP (SP3) Installation
notes
ilrwinen.exe Windows ver 2.02 3.1, 9x, NT, 2000
idospenu.exe DOS
ios2pen1.exe 1/2 OS/2
ios2pen2.exe 2/2 OS/2

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 9:02:11 PM1/23/20
If you want German, these will do.

File:ios2pge1.exe 1448 KB 2/11/1999
ftp://ps.software.ibm.com/ps/products/bookmanager/tools/ios2pge1.exe

File:ios2pge2.exe 665 KB 2/11/1999
ftp://ps.software.ibm.com/ps/products/bookmanager/tools/ios2pge2.exe

schimmi

Jan 23, 2020, 9:13:55 PM1/23/20
nope, afterwards localized software is complete garbage. but wow, ibm still hosts these files. thank you for the links!

Louis Ohland

Jan 23, 2020, 9:19:54 PM1/23/20

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/RETAIN_PS2/ios2pen1.exe

> ios2pen2.exe  2/2 OS/2
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/RETAIN_PS2/ios2pen2.exe

IBMMuseum

Nov 21, 2021, 4:47:30 PM11/21/21
Necro-thread revival for review...

schimmi

Nov 22, 2021, 7:00:15 PM11/22/21
Let's go! :D

IBMMuseum

Nov 22, 2021, 8:23:34 PM11/22/21
> > Necro-thread revival for review...
> Let's go! :D

Louis couldn't find it and asked for it to be revived...