P90 complex basic upgrade

Ryan Alswede

Mar 21, 2023, 8:55:46 AM3/21/23
Just want to confirm before doing a simple swap of a 150mhz Pentium in place of the 90 Pentium. Not wanting to do any mods to the complex.

90mhz is 2.95 amps

The 150MHz chip uses 3.5 amps

VRM rating based on ardent tool: - "It has a typical current limit of 5.5 Amps, so it should be capable of handling the upgrade. In fact, this same device is commonly used on Socket 5 and 7 clone motherboards rated for 200/233 MHz CPUs."
https://www.ardent-tool.com/complex/P90_Consider.html

richard smice

Mar 22, 2023, 6:15:53 AM3/22/23
The best Upgrade that I have found was the powerleap cpu upgrade kit, NON mmx...
It get's power from a drive connector and it's own pigtail connector...

Ryan Alswede

Mar 22, 2023, 10:38:16 AM3/22/23

> The best Upgrade that I have found was the powerleap cpu upgrade kit, NON mmx...

Usually when they are on eBay they priced their weight in gold. :-(

richard smice

Mar 22, 2023, 6:08:47 PM3/22/23
On Wednesday, March 22, 2023 at 10:38:16 AM UTC-4, Ryan Alswede wrote:
> > The best Upgrade that I have found was the powerleap cpu upgrade kit, NON mmx...
> Usually when they are on eBay they priced their weight in gold. :-(
Don't waste your time on any of the others,, they will not work well ... I have tried them all.

Ryan Alswede

Mar 23, 2023, 10:02:00 AM3/23/23
What did you use for a heatsink on the socket 5?

richard smice

Mar 23, 2023, 10:24:10 AM3/23/23
On Thursday, March 23, 2023 at 10:02:00 AM UTC-4, Ryan Alswede wrote:
> What did you use for a heatsink on the socket 5?
A Peltier cpu cooler They are quiet as well,, I powered it separate from the Interposer..

A non fan operated will let the cpu overheat.....

Ryan Alswede

Mar 23, 2023, 11:43:15 AM3/23/23

> A Peltier cpu cooler They are quiet as well,, I powered it separate from the Interposer..
Link to the one used? Or picture?

richard smice

Mar 23, 2023, 7:46:39 PM3/23/23
On Thursday, March 23, 2023 at 11:43:15 AM UTC-4, Ryan Alswede wrote:
> > A Peltier cpu cooler They are quiet as well,, I powered it separate from the Interposer..
> Link to the one used? Or picture?
The one that I had was recycled from a scrap computer..... I no longer have any of that stuff around

I just have stock original computers.. at the time it was a Corvette..Cadillac

I will look and see if I have any of the powerleaps around.... I used to collect cpu upgrades as well...
when I scrapped old computers out..
.

Ryan Alswede

Mar 24, 2023, 11:31:53 AM3/24/23
> I will look and see if I have any of the powerleaps around.... I used to collect cpu upgrades as well...
> when I scrapped old computers out..

Cool yeah I probably can trade you something for it. Have access to a lot of MCA stuff here in Dallas.

You are lucky to see them in the wild. All I ever saw was the 370 and 478 powerleaps

Ryan Alswede

Mar 29, 2023, 2:39:29 PM3/29/23
> I will look and see if I have any of the powerleaps around.... I used to collect cpu upgrades as well...
> when I scrapped old computers out..

Any luck finding a powerleap socket 5/7?

richard smice

Mar 31, 2023, 10:18:35 AM3/31/23
I have found a couple of varieties Please feel free to contact me at Richar...@yahoo.com and I can send you some pictures.

I do not have an extra 200 mhz pentium cpu You will need to get one of those... a 233mmx will not work neither will any of the amd chips.. In a mca ps\2 Y complex processor card.

Ryan Alswede

Apr 3, 2023, 9:50:19 AM4/3/23
Email sent, check your spam folder.

mine is ryanalswede you know the sign gmail

richard smice

Apr 16, 2023, 1:30:56 PM4/16/23
On Monday, April 3, 2023 at 9:50:19 AM UTC-4, Ryan Alswede wrote:
> Email sent, check your spam folder.
>
> mine is ryanalswede you know the sign gmail
I have found the kingston 233 mmx turbo chip adapter... sent email