Auction: IBM PS/2 Vintage Computer - Model 95 XP486 - Base Unit Only Powers Up.

Louis Ohland

Oct 24, 2021, 11:21:37 AMOct 24
https://www.ebay.com/itm/334192303756

Anderson, California

XP486 8595-0KD. Looks to be Spock, Serial card, early 16/4 [DB9 only],
and XGA [assume].

"Powers up. Numbers come up on little digital screen. About a minute or
so in it beeps and screen goes blank. Computer sounds smooth as it runs.
I have no way of testing further. Case is dirty and dusty. Did not take
apart. I think case can be cleaned further but did not want to use
something that would discolor it."

I'd guess it is misconfigured. Would have to see installed cards and
complex. Possumble video card is misconfigured, maybe downlevel refdisk.

If it still has the "K" complex, it might be related to the hardware on
the complex.

Not having the ability to run the refdisk and diags, I can't be certain.
But... it does power up. It displays CP codes.

My spidey sense hints it will work after being stripped down, then you'd
have to re-install cards and memory.

Tomas Slavotinek

Oct 24, 2021, 6:06:01 PMOct 24
The machine beeping and the LED display going blank after showing some
"numbers" (CP codes) sounds like a successful IPL to me...

I doubt there's anything wrong with it. (aside from the horrendous
"desktop conversion")

camthe...@yahoo.com

Oct 25, 2021, 12:52:33 PMOct 25
The stickers on it are the most interesting thing about it. Merill Lynch was using a PS/2 Model 95 486 for a server, I wonder when it was retired or if there is any data on the hard drive(s) if they still work.

Louis Ohland

Oct 25, 2021, 1:01:01 PMOct 25
In the innocent halcyon days of the 90s, folks did things we wouldn't
today. Although I'm sure some folks still do....

Maybe. If it's a K, it would need a complex BIOS upgrade on the complex
to handle >1GB. Unless they used the 320MB? drive as the IML source, and
added bigger drives after it. Dunno.

Louis Ohland

Oct 25, 2021, 1:48:24 PMOct 25
Huh, the stock drive -MIGHT- be a 0661-367 [320MB] square drive, Havant?
The infamous steel marble of death....

However, if this system was under IBM support, they -MIGHT- have
upgraded the 320MB to something better. Maybe a 0662?

https://ardent-tool.com/complex/190-175.txt