Smartphone not so smart

Louis Ohland

Aug 26, 2022, 8:10:04 AM8/26/22
Eh, so I (finally) have a working Optiplex. I can waste time at
300Mbit/s. Don't need to czech my email sitting in an overgrown Bush
Honeysuckle clump.

Looked at a flip phone, $35 to buy, $14 a month for service. That
monthly service is about a dollar less than my former wireless phone
provider, Verizon.

I can use the Motorola XT2165 as a camera, Win7 recognizes it with no
problem. File transfers are quick. I DIMMly remember a map / GPS app
that I had on my A2109 tablet, used it in 2013. Use the Moto unconnected
to a network.

RickE

Sep 6, 2022, 8:59:14 PM9/6/22
On Friday, August 26, 2022 at 8:10:04 AM UTC-4, Louis Ohland wrote:
> Looked at a flip phone, $35 to buy, $14 a month for service. That
> monthly service is about a dollar less than my former wireless phone
> provider, Verizon.

If you're interested in low-cost cellphone service, be sure to check out Red Pocket. I've used them for the past 3 years, buying their 360 day plan on their eBay store for $60. They also have $30 and $99 plans, depending on which major carrier network you want. I'm going to switch to the $99 plan this year because I want to keep the Verizon network. Those low prices come with significant limitations, my current plan gives me 100 minutes of talk, 100 texts and 500MB of high-speed data every 30 days, which is fine for my very modest cellphone needs.

I also have an old Samsung Galaxy S4 that has no SIM/service that is effectively a "wireless network terminal", which works fine in locations where you can get free wireless Internet, such as McDonalds and most big-name stores.